As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality II: This Time, It's Virtual, and on consoles!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I've had the vive for over three weeks now, and I have almost zero interest in trying a sitting game with a controller. I'm sure when my works settles down and I can actually set this thing up in my own house, which I haven't done once yet, I might try something sitting like euro truck sim or elite dangerous.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Audioshield is a p. good game when it decides it wants to run.

Haven't delved into the Book of Mormon yet as recommended by pikapuff, working my way throuh daftpunk and babymetal.

edit: Also best thing I've done in VR so far is play with the earth in Realities. The photogrammetry part is... alright. But playing with that earth? The best.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I see now why you wanted me to grab space pirate trainer @lemming apparently everyone but you is a scrub at the game!!

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    Audioshield is a p. good game when it decides it wants to run.

Haven't delved into the Book of Mormon yet as recommended by pikapuff, working my way throuh daftpunk and babymetal.

edit: Also best thing I've done in VR so far is play with the earth in Realities. The photogrammetry part is... alright. But playing with that earth? The best.
    I didn't recommend Book of Mormon, I guess I was recommending going through a complete album or something.

And it feels to me that Audioshield updated and now it never works for me and crashes before I can play a song. Haven't had much time to think about it or test it out.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I got a processed notice last night!
    Getting mah rift!

For some reason I'm barely interested in it right now. Planning on spending more dev time on something for google cardboard instead, since it feels like that's a larger install base at this point. Sure, I'll play some stuff with it, but it feels like making anything for a commercial desktop headset at this point is pretty pointless for a hobbyist programmer. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    if that's the thing I tried a few days ago, it's super cool. totoro one was too scary for me because I'm a baby. yes it's pretty beautiful in the movie, but in VR it's hey you're in the forest in the dark while it's raining, go walk up and grab this umbrella so a giant spirit can appear out of nowhere next to you

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The Totoro one is pretty poorly done IMHO. You have to walk around using the analog stick, and if Totoro walks into you'll get nauseatingly pushed out of his way. It would've been much better if they just had you standing at the bus stop in a safe place watching the whole thing passively. The other two are pretty fantastic though. I think I might try using the Howl's Moving Castle meadow as my daughter's first VR experience.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SoDtqFCHo
    Hitman Go in VR seems preeeeeetty rad

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I should be receiving my Rift sometime Tuesday, has there been any consensus on what game to get if you want to punch maximum deck?

I haven't searched that hard and Technolust seems kinda neat but seems like it's crashy and the trailer doesn't really show what you actually do in that game.

• Options
    Had to send my Vive in for repairs today.

That was a fun little process

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

What was wrong exactly? My brother has scratched lenses and saw on reddit it was $200 per eye to fix, but if you don't mind could you share what was wrong and how much it cost?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So I should be receiving my Rift sometime Tuesday, has there been any consensus on what game to get if you want to punch maximum deck?

I haven't searched that hard and Technolust seems kinda neat but seems like it's crashy and the trailer doesn't really show what you actually do in that game.
    Tube just got his rift so the G&T thread has been suggesting stuff to him and he's been reporting his experiences

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

What was wrong exactly? My brother has scratched lenses and saw on reddit it was $200 per eye to fix, but if you don't mind could you share what was wrong and how much it cost?

Stuck pixels. Three weeks of bad customer support but $0.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

This seems like the kind of thing that would make customers Very Angry.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ouch.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    My buddy got his CV1, so he sold me his old DK2 for $50 to fool around with.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    link says "backpack-vr-pc-details-specs-price-release-date", headline is different than link, and final paragraph of article states price and release date aren't known.

awesome. thanks.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

gvzbgul, please don't repost from my amazon recent purchases history unless you include my affiliate links

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Whoops, meant to put it in the Reality: This time it's [redacted] thread. Oh well.

• Options
    What is that thread even about

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    What is that thread even about

It's about █████, of course.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCRa_l8YZ7k

Microsoft pushes Windows 10 Holographic as the one-stop option for VR and AR
    Windows Holographic promotional video showing multiple HoloLenses and an HTC Vive.
    Microsoft's HoloLens holographic headset runs a special version of Windows 10, Windows Holographic. At Computex today, the company announced that Windows Holographic is coming to more than just the HoloLens: Microsoft wants it to be available for all virtual reality and augmented reality/mixed reality systems, from the tethered, fully immersive virtual reality headsets already on the market, to a new generation of untethered HoloLens-like devices.

Windows Holographic builds on the common Windows platform—the NT kernel, the Windows Store, the Edge browser, and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs—that is collectively called OneCore. To this, it adds a range of components designed for mixed-reality computing—things like a custom shell; human-interaction systems that integrate voice, gaze, and hand gestures; and spatial mapping to build models of the world around you—along with specific APIs to use these capabilities in software, extending the core UWP platform.

Today's announcement shows Microsoft's intent to develop Windows Holographic into a broader platform still, running not just on Microsoft's own hardware, but also that of third parties. With PC-based virtual reality currently split awkwardly between the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive headsets—a split that's enforced by DRM—an attempt to bridge the gap and unify the hardware can only be a good thing. Bringing AR into the mix is also sensible; AR and VR have areas of significant overlap (such as spatial mapping and gestural control), such that it doesn't seem sensible to reinvent the wheel for each approach.

The decision to open up Windows Holographic in this way does, however, serve to highlight Microsoft's peculiar absence in the VR space. The Windows PC is the premier VR platform, but Microsoft itself has so far shown relatively little engagement with VR aside from bundling an Xbox One controller with Facebook's Oculus Rift headset and the development of a VR version of Minecraft. This omission is particularly striking when it comes to the Xbox; Sony is releasing its own PlayStation VR headset later this year, and Microsoft so far has no real response.

It also raises the question of whether the company will actually ship consumer-grade HoloLens hardware or leave the space entirely to third parties. Given the investment in technology that HoloLens has required, we'd expect at least some kind of first-party offering, but it's possible that it will take a more Surface-like role—a high-end showcase to push the market in a particular direction—leaving Microsoft's OEM partners to cater to the wider audience. The company said that it is working with Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, HTC, Acer, ASUS, CyberPowerPC, Dell, Falcon Northwest, HP, iBuyPower, Lenovo, MSI, "and many others" to build VR systems, though in the near term these are likely to be using the regular desktop version of Windows 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/microsoft-pushes-windows-10-holographic-as-the-one-stop-option-for-vr-and-ar/

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    VIVE

I liked the shopped in branding on the headstrap.

I'm also super excited about Microsoft wanting to allow other headsets onto whatever this thing is

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The words Star Trek, Bridge Crew, and VR fills me with so much excitement!

Just have it be a first person multiplayer bridge simulator in Star Trek.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It does strike me as funny that two of Ubisoft's announced VR games are derived from other, existing games (this and Werewolf). Like, I'm not accusing them of doing anything shady here, and maybe that's a safe enough way for them to get games made, by taking from existing designs and adapting them to VR rather than trying to come up with something completely new.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I hope someone is working on "The Game" from TNG for VR.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As someone who bought the microsoft voice commander just so I could shout orders to the crew in Star Trek Bridge Commander, I am super excited for VR now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hi (LuvtheMonkey),

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Yessssssssss

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Hi (LuvtheMonkey),

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Yessssssssss

when did you order?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    February 26!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just thought of something -- you know what would sell a ridiculous number of units?

Filming Hamilton on a high-end 3d camera rig and releasing it on a VR system.

You know how much people would pay to get a chance to feel like they were sitting front-row-center for live theater?

Click a button and you can get warped up to the balcony, etc?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd been thinking about it for a live music experience for months, how awesome it would be to set up a pipeline to deliver world-class concert experiences via VR

but I hadn't even considered live theater. Fuck, if you were the one to set up that company to deliver those experiences, you'd make a goddamned killing.

8406wWN.png