As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MS Access: Creating a new record using a report

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Okay, this seems like it should be simple, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to implement it.

I have a table (AssignedApplications) that consists of Analyst, and ApplicationID, and an autonumber for the primary key. What I would like is a single screen that shows all existing analysts and the app IDs assigned to them. The user may then enter a new ApplicationID into a blank field and select an Analyst from a drop-down, then hit a button and it uses the Analyst and ID to append a new record into AssignedAnalysts. (And ideally, it autorefreshes the display to include the new entry.)

I could just make a report and then have a separate form for entering new records, but that seems needlessly cumbersome. I'm trying to do this as a report, with a couple of unbound fields up top for data entry, but I'm not sure how to rig it all together. Would it be better to set it up as a form with a subform displaying below the data entry portion to show all relevant entries?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    You might be overengineering this a bit. Let me see if I get this straight. You are looking for a way to review and add records to AssignedApplications (you also mention a table called AssignedAnalysts but it seems like you are talking about the same thing)?

If so, you can actually create a form in a datasheet view for the table to which you want to add records. The dropdown for analyst would be managed in the design view of the table itself, defining that field as a lookup value. You can either set it manually if the list of analysts do not change much, or reference the table the analysts reside.

I am not sure what the value of a report might be since you are not able to add records through that interface.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    "AssignedAnalysts" up there should have been "AssignedApplications," so that was a typo.

The report aspect was because I only want to display those applications that do not already exist in another table called ClinicalReviews, so I need to run a query. And I liked the display options of a report better, so I could just have a heading for each analyst followed by a list of applications. Though apparently that's not possible, because Access doesn't let you embed reports in forms or vice-versa because REASONS. I wound up just embedding the query as a subform in datasheet view and dealing with the fact that it looks kind of clunky.

Everything is currently broken for different and unrelated reasons, but I answered this particular question. :)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    No problem. I am glad you found a solution, of a sort.