As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] Rift & Vive out now! darleysam finally receives Reality Escape Helmet

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
7ypPjpA.jpg
kRzPLGr.jpg

Discuss.

Dhalphir on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Apologies for the limited OP, I haven't got the time to put something together today, but we need a thread.. If you would like to do something more with it yourself, I can edit things into it.

Failing that, I'll put something together slowly over the next day or so.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I will add this to the new thread, so we can end the madness:

https://youtu.be/vyNKR_-uKfs

I'm probably still buying a Vive because I'm impatient. But the two headsets are going to be really similar once Touch comes out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

This is the internet, the madness will never end.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The Giantbomb crew are about as interesting as watching paint dry

Only they could make VR seem dull.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'm moving the goalposts!

"Nobody ever said the Rift couldn't do "room scale" with just the headset and just one camera, provided the camera is placed properly, the user remains in it's field of vision and also provided the user preemptively sacrifices a goat before every gaming session. What people were saying is that the Rift, with two cameras, with Touch controllers, kills babies."

Edit: Edited for Apple-style marketing gimmicks

Edit Edit: Also, that man's going to be really unhappy when, while crawling on the ground without Chaperone™ or a Front Facing Camera™, he accidentally inserts his head into an active woodchipper.

Rius on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    7ypPjpA.jpg
    kRzPLGr.jpg

No need for any more info; those two pictures alone perfectly capture the outright dominance of [insert preferred device], compared to the weak, flaccid and paltry alternative of [insert less preferred device].

Long live [insert preferred device]!

Docken on
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Also, that man's going to be really unhappy when, while crawling on the ground without Chaperone™ or a Front Facing Camera™, he accidentally inserts his head into an active woodchipper.

You owe me a keyboard.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm moving the goalposts!

"Nobody ever said the Rift couldn't do "room scale" with just the headset and just one camera, provided the camera is placed properly, the user remains in it's field of vision and also provided the user preemptively sacrifices a goat before every gaming session. What people were saying is that the Rift, with two cameras, with Touch controllers, kills babies."

Edit: Edited for Apple-style marketing gimmicks

Edit Edit: Also, that man's going to be really unhappy when, while crawling on the ground without Chaperone™ or a Front Facing Camera™, he accidentally inserts his head into an active woodchipper.

I mean, he already smacked his head on his chair! Think of the children!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Just finished reading all of the reviews I could find.

some notes
    - The Rift is an amazing headset
    - There could be more content, but what is there blows any console release out of the water
    - Motion controllers are nearly mandatory and the experience won't feel complete until it arrives

As for Rift vs Vive, the consensus on that seems to be that ideally, right now, we'd have the Rift headset with the Vive controllers. Once the Touch controllers come out, the Rift should be the overall better package, but nothing is guaranteed on unreleased hardware.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

some notes
    - There could be more content, but what is there blows any console release out of the water
    - Motion controllers are nearly mandatory and the experience won't feel complete until it arrives

As for Rift vs Vive, the consensus on that seems to be that ideally, we'd have the Rift headset with the Vive controllers.

?

I thought the touch controllers were way better than the Vive ones?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

I'm probably still buying a Vive because I'm impatient. But the two headsets are going to be really similar once Touch comes out.
    This is realllllllly dumb. Judging from this video here's my guess on what's going on. I guess the NDA didn't allow a video like this to be put out. A simple video like this could have saved a month, or several months? of frustration. Again, a video of a guy walking around a room without what the rift was outputting (the previous 'proof' video) was useless. This video you can show people and you can go 'oh, ok. looks doable.'

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

Never

*hiccups*?? Never turned around, look at that cord....

Second camera has me worried but we'll see!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Honestly why the fuck didn't Oculus release a video like that? They kept making these, like, winky-face declarations and half-assed tweets. Or statements that the internet, myself included, interpreted to be winky-face and half-assed.

Rius on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    @wonderpug don't forget that if you try to launch something from outside the store without clicking that slider, it pops up a warning message asking if you would like to click the slider for the future

And to bring this can of worms back up, no, trying to launch something from outside of the store simply doesn't work yet, even if you've checked those sliders as hard as possible.

Steam just had an update though.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Honestly why the fuck didn't Oculus release a video like that? They kept making these, like, winky-face declarations and half-assed tweets. Or statements that the internet, myself included, interpreted to be winky-face and half-assed.
    Like I said, my guess was the NDA or blackout or embargo or whatever it was called. Their 'talking to the community' has been terrible in all aspects, not just the possibility of roomscale (I can't think of a phrase better than PR/marketing but I don't think those words fit).

some notes

As for Rift vs Vive, the consensus on that seems to be that ideally, we'd have the Rift headset with the Vive controllers.

?

I think touch has better features/buttons but the same 'slighty tiny bit less better than vive' tracking capabilities. I think the point is right here, right now, with what's available (in a week), he thinks Rift headset + vive controllers (since touch doesn't exist yet).

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

In most comparisons I've generally seen people prefer the Touch controllers. The two main things people do prefer or appreciate about the Vive controllers are the haptic touchpads and the way they are Actual Things You Can Have Right Now™.

My perfect FrankenVR gen1 mashup would be

From the Rift
    • cleaner overall look of the headset
    • lighter weight
    • integrated headphones
    • the single, lighter umbilical cord
    • optics

From the Vive
    • front facing camera
    • rounder field of view shape
    • screen distance adjustability
    • day 1 motion controllers
    • cell phone integration

From both
    • compatibility with both Touch controllers and Vive Wands so I can choose based on the game I'm playing

I still can't tell if I think Constellation or Lighthouse is superior. Long USB cables for opposing corner Constellation sucks, but I've also heard reports that the Lighthouse method is more picky about reflective surfaces. Time will tell on both methods, I think.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

They are trying to play down roomscale because their motion controllers are half a year from release at best.

• Options

some notes

?

Right, but they aren't available yet, which is what people mean.

• Options
    @wonderpug don't forget that if you try to launch something from outside the store without clicking that slider, it pops up a warning message asking if you would like to click the slider for the future

And to bring this can of worms back up, no, trying to launch something from outside of the store simply doesn't work yet, even if you've checked those sliders as hard as possible.

That's because that software isn't updated to work with the new retail SDK. It's nothing to do with the store restrictions.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Yes, Oculus has already mentioned that devs need to push updates to run with the 1.3 SDK. It's unfortunate, but this is the launch version so it makes sense. I have heard reports that launching Elite through their standalone launcher displays the mentioned message AND works after you enable the setting.

EDIT: Damn, beated. Though I will say something interesting I read. Apparently launching the game without the setting enabled displays the message but still starts the game (you can see it on monitor output, if you have it enabled). So if you go in and enable it it'll show up immediately, no need to restart the game you were trying to run.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    What does the USB cable setup for the Oculus look like? I have 4 USB 3.0 ports available, but they're split between 2 in the front of my PC and 2 in the back.

• Options
    Metallikat wrote: »
    What does the USB cable setup for the Oculus look like? I have 4 USB 3.0 ports available, but they're split between 2 in the front of my PC and 2 in the back.

Port requirement breakdown:
    Rift itself: 1 HDMI port and 1 USB 3.0 port
    Sensors (only one comes with the Rift right now): 1 USB 3.0 port
    Xbox One controller: 1 USB 2.0 port

You shouldn't have any problems.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @Dhalphir I actually think that's a really good OP. There's no lauding one platform over another, it's just a straight up presentation of what's available now/next week.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

They are trying to play down roomscale because their motion controllers are half a year from release at best.

Also they probably don't want to get sued if someone stumbles over their chair and dislocates their shoulder, then claims "But Oculus said it was okay!"

I totally expect Oculus to develop their own version of chaperone (the passthrough camera is nice for it, but hardly essential). Until then, advertising the Rift as a room scale device is a huge liability concern.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Where does the third USB 3.0 port come in?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Dhalphir I actually think that's a really good OP. There's no lauding one platform over another, it's just a straight up presentation of what's available now/next week.

I am glad you appreciate it. I spent many seconds carefully scouring Google picking the top two GIS image results.

• Options

Where does the third USB 3.0 port come in?

The second camera for Touch.

• Options

if you have a fairly typical setup with your PC either on your desk or next to it, I would suggest plugging your initial camera into the back of the PC, and using the front USB ports for the headset and controller. later, when Touch is available, you can use the second front USB3.0 port for the second camera so that you can place it behind you for better 360 coverage.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I've got 2 front and 2 back USB 3.0 as well, but I'm planning to run my headset USB to the back. The headset has to run to my HDMI in the back anyhow, so I imagine I won't get any extra reach from using the front USB.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

Unless your USB ports are running on unsupported USB controllers. Be sure to run the compatibility tool.

Also, note front ports typically run off a different controller than the back ports on most motherboards (at least in my experience). So be aware that front and rear USB 3.0 ports may not be equal for Rift purposes. Two compatible ports is still plenty, though.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Okay, cool. Didn't know if the cables were connected/bundled together in such a way that would prevent them from reaching different spots on my desktop.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I've got 2 front and 2 back USB 3.0 as well, but I'm planning to run my headset USB to the back. The headset has to run to my HDMI in the back anyhow, so I imagine I won't get any extra reach from using the front USB.

Oh, that's a good point. The back it is, then.
    Okay, cool. Didn't know if the cables were connected/bundled together in such a way that would prevent them from reaching different spots on my desktop.

I think they might be, now that I think about it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm seeing a lot of people continue to dismiss the integrated audio as an advantage for the Rift, even in the face of the reviews touting the high quality and fidelity of the audio.

While waiting for the Rift over the last weekend, I set my DK1 up again, and ran through a few of the newer demos I hadn't seen before.

My headphones fell off three times during rapid head movement. My headphones don't have a lot of clamping force, but you don't want them to grip too tight or your head will hurt. I think the fact that the Rift headphones are secured next to your ears no matter how vigorously you move, and the fact that they don't clamp your ears, is going to be huge.

I think a lot of people who claim they plan to remove the integrated cans will end up either not doing so, or removing them and then putting them back a few days later, and I think a lot of people with Vives are going to find that they have to use earbuds instead of over ear cans.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a lot of people continue to dismiss the integrated audio as an advantage for the Rift, even in the face of the reviews touting the high quality and fidelity of the audio.

While waiting for the Rift over the last weekend, I set my DK1 up again, and ran through a few of the newer demos I hadn't seen before.

My headphones fell off three times during rapid head movement. My headphones don't have a lot of clamping force, but you don't want them to grip too tight or your head will hurt. I think the fact that the Rift headphones are secured next to your ears no matter how vigorously you move, and the fact that they don't clamp your ears, is going to be huge.

I think a lot of people who claim they plan to remove the integrated cans will end up either not doing so, or removing them and then putting them back a few days later, and I think a lot of people with Vives are going to find that they have to use earbuds instead of over ear cans.

Yeah, as someone who hadn't kept up with any of the VR news, I was surprised to hear a mention on the Bombcast this week about how PSVR doesn't have a headphone solution

After reading your post just now though, I put on my Turtle Beach headphones and did some quick jerking head motions to see if it would come off

Thankfully they fit snugly and securely during this process

• Options
    edited March 2016

Yeah, as someone who hadn't kept up with any of the VR news, I was surprised to hear a mention on the Bombcast this week about how PSVR doesn't have a headphone solution

After reading your post just now though, I put on my Turtle Beach headphones and did some quick jerking head motions to see if it would come off

Thankfully they fit snugly and securely during this process

Mine fit fine when I'm using them alone, it's only when I try to wear them over a headset that they seem to be a bit finicky about staying put. I guess because they sit partially over the strap rather than fitting as snugly around the ears?

I do think that people with headphones on a similar level to Turtle Beach/Plantronics will find the Rift audio better and elect to stick with the Rift audio. And I know the HTC earbuds are reasonably good quality ones.

Dhalphir on
  • Options

While I totally plan to use the built in audio solution since it's good enough for me, I just recently finished up a contract with a company working in the higher end audio space. People can be very specific about their audio. If they already have a high end set then I wouldn't exactly fault someone for wanting to use it. For the average user though? The built in audio should absolutely be a pro. Reviews, for the most part, mention it and praise it, it's mostly just people on reddit that seem to feel like it's pointless.

Personally, I have some minor hearing loss from my military days. The differences in audio quality beyond being "good enough" are pretty negligible for me. I also can't stand in-ear buds, so the built in audio is basically perfect for me.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Lets hope once the touch controllers are out Rift actually supports them and roomscale.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    So one of the comments I've seen is that Oculus is poisoning the well by not having motion controls at launch. But I wonder if it's actually not the reverse. i.e. in a way, Vive has poisoned the VR well because of having motion controls demoed prominently for a full 2-3 months before the Rift launch, which makes going *back* to non-motion controls extremely unsatisfying. i.e. if Vive hadn't existed, everyone would actually still be super excited about the Rift and there'd be a unified "VR is awesome!" sentiment. Ignorance is bliss and all that. Now instead, we just have a lot of acrimony from both sides and probably a lot of people who will feel burned/grass is greener that might make them more skeptical about VR overall.

Note, I'm not saying this to blame the Vive in any way. I think it's actually good that we're essentially advancing VR tech by maybe 1/2-1 generation because of Vive, but things in life are rarely fully good nor bad. It just goes back to "what if" thoughts of a timeline where Oculus had gone with Valve instead of Facebook.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    nah

how about. it's showing the worse outcome. then if vive does well next week we know VR is like whoooooa so much better than that rift. then everyone buys vive. PSVR has motion controls too? everyone preorders that. then touch is finally announced in a few months, every knows from vive that motion controls are great then everyone buys that. all three do well.

holodeck 2020

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's going to be a good long time before the install base for VR will be big enough to justify designing entirely around VR and these new fangled motion controllers, at least in anything bigger than tiny tech demo-ish stuff. Developers want to make a profit, understandably enough. I'm sure there will be some cool indie motion control stuff here and there, but traditional controllers will be the main thing for a good long time.

Seeing all of these launch streams and reviews has me excited, but the general lack of an absolutely must get, exclusive game makes it an awful lot easier to wait for the next round of GPUs before I jump in.

Darlan on
This discussion has been closed.