As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republican Primary: Jailhouse Edition

1979899100101103»

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    don't have any, I'm rich biatch

rich being a net worth greater than 0

Jars on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm a brain dead idiot, and I physically can't earn any less than that because I'm too old and have a stupid postgraduate degree. By the time you are worth at least 50k, unless you're in finance or whatever, you'll have enough of one or the other type of debt to flush it down the drain

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also that's household income, so I'm guessing since it's the median it's probably a two-income household. Which is two people working full time making an average of $12/hr

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Depending on what's left after taxes I could pay off my student loans and a significant portion of my remaining car loan. The next year would pay off the car and I have no CC debt so that'd be cool. I'd be happy to get 25-30k at this point, though.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    don't have any, I'm rich biatch

rich being a net worth greater than 0
    Lucky bastard. I wouldn't say my student loans are crippling, but they would be if I wasn't making DC money.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So...uh...yeah.
    Bob Sutton, chairman of the Broward County GOP Executive Committee, suggested Clinton would be easy to debate in the general election.

“I think when Donald Trump debates Hillary Clinton she’s going to go down like Monica Lewinsky,” Sutton told the Post.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Broward is the single most blue county in Florida. You don't get the cream of the crop in GOP here.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So...uh...yeah.
    Bob Sutton, chairman of the Broward County GOP Executive Committee, suggested Clinton would be easy to debate in the general election.

“I think when Donald Trump debates Hillary Clinton she’s going to go down like Monica Lewinsky,” Sutton told the Post.

holy fucking shit

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I knew this kind of thing was coming, but it does make me sad that we're not only getting shitty awful jokes, we're getting rerun shitty awful jokes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/america-tyranny-donald-trump.html

Andrew Sullivan has committed another Anglo-Saxon lecture about how we're mean to White working class men/families and how the gay movement is not magnanimous in victory. Yes, because White working-class families have it worse than black equivalents because they used to have an even bigger advantage?

Asshole, listen: I'm a White cishetero dude from the working class who always defend women, LGBT rights, the poor of all stripes, those fighting racial injustice and others whose genes and circumstances impact their lives unfairly. I have never been mocked for my phenotype, because I do not betray others for the sake of preserving my privilege or my role as the central, unquestioned default of society, politics and culture. I don't mock intersectionality. I know meritocracy is not a fact. I am not an arrogant solipsist who whines when bigots and trolls are shouted down at colleges. So no one goes "lol angry mayoboy" at me when I express myself.

Being a poor White dude who is no longer entitled to a career and a woman does not entitle you to be a misogynist, a transphobe or worse, online or in the voting booth. But being that entitles you to a solid serving of mockery and discouraging punishment.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    If we are putting pro-Trump pieces around, I prefer Jerry Pournelle:
    “Those conservative writers and thinkers who have for nine months warned the base that Mr. Trump is not a conservative should consider the idea that a large portion of the Republican base no longer sees itself as conservative, at least as that term has been defined the past 15 years by Washington writers and thinkers.”

The Second Gulf War saw us invading Iraq in response to the al Qaeda attack on New York, although there was zero evidence that Saddam had anything to do with it. Then came Afghanistan. In each case we sent just enough to do the job, but not overwhelming force to achieve victory – likely impossible in Afghanistan unless we were prepared for decades of occupation, and given the Soviet experience even that was likely to be arduous. All of this seemed to be destroying monsters, not protecting the liberty of the American people.

Some of us said so at the time. The response from National Review, once (when under Bill Buckley) the voice of the American Conservative Movement, was to feature the Egregious Frum reading out of the Conservative Movement all those who did not enthusiastically support the invasion of Iraq. Since that time I have not been “a conservative”. Paleo-conservative, perhaps; one who believes Edmund Burke and Russell Kirk have much to teach us; yes. But officially not a conservative according to National Review. Since I am not one of them by their own account, having been read out of their movement, I have no obligation to defend their policies – not that I ever defended all of them; after all, they did read me out of their ranks because I opposed the long war in Mesopotamia, did not think we could build democracy in a “nation” composed of Kurds, Shia majority, and Sunni, and ruled by Baathists, and thought we had no business expending blood and treasure when we had no describable national interests.

Trump’s people think the same way: patriotism trumps ideology. That is, of course, a very conservative principle, or was when I was teaching political science; apparently it is not so now. Miss Noonan sees it; I doubt the neoconservatives who have become to leaders of the conservative Movement will understand, or care; but perhaps the American voters will. Reagan was no ideologue, and he won. True: Trump is no Reagan; but you know, Mr. Reagan was not always Ronald the Great either. But he was always a patriot.
    The alt-right is many things, but an intellectually and morally bankrupt cult like the GOPe is not going to beat them. That job is up to the Dems, if they are up to the task.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Andrew Sullivan has committed another Anglo-Saxon lecture about how we're mean to White working class men/families and how the gay movement is not magnanimous in victory. Yes, because White working-class families have it worse than black equivalents because they used to have an even bigger advantage?

Asshole, listen: I'm a White cishetero dude from the working class who always defend women, LGBT rights, the poor of all stripes, those fighting racial injustice and others whose genes and circumstances impact their lives unfairly. I have never been mocked for my phenotype, because I do not betray others for the sake of preserving my privilege or my role as the central, unquestioned default of society, politics and culture. I don't mock intersectionality. I know meritocracy is not a fact. I am not an arrogant solipsist who whines when bigots and trolls are shouted down at colleges. So no one goes "lol angry mayoboy" at me when I express myself.

Being a poor White dude who is no longer entitled to a career and a woman does not entitle you to be a misogynist, a transphobe or worse, online or in the voting booth. But being that entitles you to a solid serving of mockery and discouraging punishment.

I totally could have done without Andrew Sullivan coming back.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »

I totally could have done without Andrew Sullivan coming back.

He felt called to action by Trump. And the sore lack of hot takes about 'PC Culture' or descriptions of Clinton's flaws.

This discussion has been closed.