As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    tumblr_omcecjn56T1s7e5k5o1_1280.jpg

Overkill. 17 captured MG-34s, used as an anti-aircraft gun by the Red Army. Date unknown.

NEVER ENUFF DAKKA YA PUNY HUMIES!

On a more related note, I bet everyone that fired that gun left with a giant erection.

If shooting guns sexually excited them, then yes probably. If they also owned a functioning penis, anyway.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Saw this on Mike Duncan's twitter.

There are people role-playing the Russian Revolution on twitter and tweeting it in real time.

ChicoBlue on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Gentlemen of the early 20th century sure knew how to dress.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Gentlemen of the early 20th century sure knew how to dress.

Sure, but after we lost the use of prehensile mustaches we had to groom our hair ourselves, and standards of dress slipped.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    good old red terror rping

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    We were talking about the wave of immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and we were talking about Eastern European Jews fleeing persecution and how they weren't very well treated in America when they got here, and he was like WELL YEAH THEY'RE ALL SHADY AS HELL

and the fuckin room goes DEAD and everyone turns to look at him and he's like NO NOT THE JEWS, EASTERN EUROPEANS, YOU CAN'T TRUST EM

and I'm sitting there like DAWG SHUT UP

Y'ALL

THIS SAME DUDE JUST

OPENLY

ADVOCATED

FOR EUGENICS.

Like, we're talking about the 20's still and my teacher was talking about the spread of eugenics and rightly said it was a pseudo-science, and this dude got all huffy and was like WELL WHY IS IT A PSEUDO-SCIENCE, IF YOU STOP PEOPLE FROM SPREADING BAD GENES and my teacher was like NAH STOP, HUSH YOUR MOUTH IMMEDIATELY

i am stymied.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Fucking Nazis. Did you punch him?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Listen, man. I love untermenschen. Some of my best friends are untermenschen. I'm just saying...maybe Nazis, yeah? Cool?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Fucking Nazis. Did you punch him?

I wanna. Reeeeaaal bad.

But I also wanna stay in school. My revolutionary zeal extends only so far as risking my education.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is he an objectivist? He sounds like an objectivist.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Have you considered burying him alive?

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Have you considered burying him alive?

Tell him you have some really great wine stashed away he should come over and get.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Free wine? Where?!?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In the cellar, no that light has never worked, just head on down

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tell him to get in the fucking sea

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    We were talking about the wave of immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and we were talking about Eastern European Jews fleeing persecution and how they weren't very well treated in America when they got here, and he was like WELL YEAH THEY'RE ALL SHADY AS HELL

and the fuckin room goes DEAD and everyone turns to look at him and he's like NO NOT THE JEWS, EASTERN EUROPEANS, YOU CAN'T TRUST EM

and I'm sitting there like DAWG SHUT UP

Y'ALL

THIS SAME DUDE JUST

OPENLY

ADVOCATED

FOR EUGENICS.

Like, we're talking about the 20's still and my teacher was talking about the spread of eugenics and rightly said it was a pseudo-science, and this dude got all huffy and was like WELL WHY IS IT A PSEUDO-SCIENCE, IF YOU STOP PEOPLE FROM SPREADING BAD GENES and my teacher was like NAH STOP, HUSH YOUR MOUTH IMMEDIATELY

i am stymied.

My public speaking class had the two most amazing fucking racist guys Ive ever met. One insisted that Native Americans actually had to many rights because according to him he had witnessed a situation where a native had been murdered and the FBI were "scared to enter the reservation because they would be killed". I dont remember the context that caused the other one to insist that it was actually moral that we took over this continent and genocided a people.

Quire.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Rewind to the bit where people are live realtime tweeting 1917

That's THE BEST THING

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Ah, edgy bigots in history classrooms, how I don't particularly miss you...

When I started my MA, one of the standard icebreakers was talking about peoples' undergraduate theses. As soon as I mentioned mine (shifting popular attitudes towards mental illness in the early 20th century) a few others in the cohort instantly perked up and assumed that meant I was obviously going to agree with them about their love of eugenics, volunteering a list of demographics they thought needed sterilization.
    Rewind to the bit where people are live realtime tweeting 1917

That's THE BEST THING

Some magnificently insane person started livetweeting the First World War back in the summer of 2014, and it's still going!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    *high pitched screaming*

this is the best thing that's ever happened to my social media life

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    "grandgore" is pretty clearly a boss in diablo

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    *high pitched screaming*

this is the best thing that's ever happened to my social media life

there's one for WW2 as well! however, it has already advanced to 1945. But it's been going for a few years.

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII

There's a really good documentary released yesterday on Netflix called "Five Came Back" that covers five famous Hollywood directors who were enlisted during WWII and put in charge of making documentaries at the start of US involvement in the war.

It was produced by Steven Spielberg and includes interviews with Guillermo Del Toro, Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Lawrence Kasdan, Paul Greengrass, and archived interviews from the five directors. You'd think a film about directors in war made by a celebrated director of war movies would be a little masturbatory, but it's fairly even coverage. Even showing the absurdity of one of the directors landing in Africa and complaining that he'd missed the entire conflict in that theatre.

alright yeah this dude in my history class is a nazi. we just started covering ww2 and dude has what, to my mind, seems to be an unusually high esteem for the german military.

alright yeah this dude in my history class is a nazi. we just started covering ww2 and dude has what, to my mind, seems to be an unusually high esteem for the german military.
    Freaking Wehraboos

edited April 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Freaking Wehraboos

coupled with his other opinions and how excited he seemed about starting this unit, i think this goes beyond simple historical nerdery.

edit: dude also doesn't understand the concept of a rhetorical question. THE PROFESSOR ISN'T ALWAYS LOOKING FOR YOUR INPUT, BILLY, YOU FUCK.

Metzger Meister on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I once took a political science class on genocide and there was this Turkish exchange student who smugly denied that the Armenian Genocide was a thing that happened

Eventually no one ever referenced it again just not to trigger the guy anymore

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I once took a political science class on genocide and there was this Turkish exchange student who smugly denied that the Armenian Genocide was a thing that happened

that this is still a controversial issue is absolutely unconscionable

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Freaking Wehraboos

coupled with his other opinions and how excited he seemed about starting this unit, i think this goes beyond simple historical nerdery.

edit: dude also doesn't understand the concept of a rhetorical question. THE PROFESSOR ISN'T ALWAYS LOOKING FOR YOUR INPUT, BILLY, YOU FUCK.

Hint: tell him to shut his stupid fucking pie hole.

edited April 2017
    Shorty wrote: »

Most atrocities tend to get denied by the perpetrators, it does make you look pretty bad

I mean shit, my town has a big statue of a dude who put a bounty on the scalps of First Nations people and there are still arguments about whether or not that is a bad thing to do

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

Interesting atrocity-related thing I learned recently: under Mao and for a long time afterwards, Chinese history books barely made any reference to atrocities committed by the Japanese army in China and they didn't feature at all on the political agenda until the late 80/early 90s

There are multiple reasons for this, for one thing Japan was seen as very unthreatening after WW2 and the Communist government wished to avoid the narrative of a heroic defense of the country by the Kuomintang

As some people surely know, Japanese responsibility was also mostly swept under the rug by the US in the aftermath of the war

THEY JUST WENT ON VACATION STOP ASKING

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Most atrocities tend to get denied by the perpetrators, it does make you look pretty bad

I mean shit, my town has a big statue of a dude who put a bounty on the scalps of First Nations people and there are still arguments about whether or not that is a bad thing to do

yeah, but the government of Germany isn't like "okay the holocaust happened, sure, but we didn't mean to kill all those Jews"

yeah, but the government of Germany isn't like "okay the holocaust happened, sure, but we didn't mean to kill all those Jews"

shitty 20something internet marxists like to argue that the red terror and kulak genocide and kossak purges and every goddamn thing mao did are just like totally not that bad just look man here is another shitty meme about late stage capitalism

edited April 2017
    but seriously, fuck those sparrows though

pieces of shit got what they deserved

PiptheFair on
    edited April 2017
    I think he used some variant of "they killed us too!" in addition to the usual attribution of the deaths to famine and (forced) migration

Basically if your people get slaughtered, never take up any arms or someone will spin it this way (I have honestly no idea if there was armed resistance to the Armenian Genocide, he portrayed it as some sort of civil war)

Platy on
    I think he used some variant of "they killed us too!" in addition to the usual attribution of the deaths to famine and (forced) migration

Basically if your people get slaughtered, never take up any arms or someone will spin it this way (I have honestly no idea if there was armed resistance to the Armenian Genocide, he portrayed it as some sort of civil war)

there was armed resistance, and the turkish army got fucking bodied by significantly inferior forces

re1egctbo2g8.png

Germany appears to be a unique historical artifact, I can't thing of anybody else who has erected monuments and museums to their own shame

PiptheFair wrote: »

shitty 20something internet marxists like to argue that the red terror and kulak genocide and kossak purges and every goddamn thing mao did are just like totally not that bad just look man here is another shitty meme about late stage capitalism

western history of Russia is a fucking tire fire and I hate talking about it, especially on the internet

edited April 2017

Germany appears to be a unique historical artifact, I can't thing of anybody else who has erected monuments and museums to their own shame

we've been pretty forward about first nation genocide and the tuskegee project

EDIT:

I mean, our continued governmental disinterest in black and native populations is decidedly not great

PiptheFair on
    Decidedly not great is decidedly not inaccurate agreed

This discussion has been closed.