As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Panama Papers

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    The lack of reporting on this in US news is downright creepy.

It's Sunday. We'll see if it picks up tomorrow.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

CHECKMATE OBAMA

I know you are just being silly.

But to comment seriously, I doubt it's the President because that would be page 1 news and they would lead with that and because, seriously has the Pres ever had that much money? I know he's a Millionaire but I don't think he's ever had the resources that you need a Mossack Fonseca to conceal.

But that just goes to prove how obviously the press is in the pocket of GEORGE SOROS and controlled by BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

More seriously, it's probably just going to be some two-bit Ponzi Scheme artists stealing from NYC's elderly. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

CHECKMATE OBAMA

But to comment seriously, I doubt it's the President because that would be page 1 news and they would lead with that and because, seriously has the Pres ever had that much money? I know he's a Millionaire but I don't think he's ever had the resources that you need a Mossack Fonseca to conceal.

But that just goes to prove how obviously the press is in the pocket of GEORGE SOROS and controlled by BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

More seriously, it's probably just going to be some two-bit Ponzi Scheme artists stealing from NYC's elderly. :|

I seriously hope Trump is in there.

I doubt it but still....

• Options
    Also this is probably accurate but bullshit.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

CHECKMATE OBAMA

Doesn't the president normally use a blind trust in the hopes of preventing major conflicts of interest or at least the appearance of it?

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

In the age of 24 hour news cycles and having "breaking news" headlines minutes after major events happen? Plus, it's like 1:00 AM GMT. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the complete silence seems skeevy right now.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

In the age of 24 hour news cycles and having "breaking news" headlines minutes after major events happen? Plus, it's like 1:00 AM GMT. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the complete silence seems skeevy right now.

Washington Post has an article. Got some from Reuters. NYT has it on the front page too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also this is probably accurate but bullshit.

It's a crime because their confidential documents were stolen and leaked out without permission from the company or their clients.

However, what they were doing is fucking gross so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Washington Post has an article. Got some from Reuters. NYT has it on the front page too.
    Hmm I am honestly not seeing those up on their respective front pages now. Not that I don't believe you or anything, weird.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Hmm I am honestly not seeing those up on their respective front pages now. Not that I don't believe you or anything, weird.

Cookies, location, caches.

Often enough I don't see updates I make on our company website.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

The international version of the NYT has it. The domestic version... oh no that's not important enough.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

CHECKMATE OBAMA

He's somewhere around 10 million. Though that'll at least triple the day he signs a contract to write his memoirs.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

The international version of the NYT has it. The domestic version... oh no that's not important enough.
    Ah yeah, there it is. Eesh.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I mean...wait until an American gets named. It'll get covered.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

I think the 24 HR news cycle has always taken a break on Sunday unless it's a terrorist attack or something.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    US media doesn't usually pay attention unless there is some kind of American involvement.

"Thousands killed in earthquake" vs "3 Americans killed in earthquake, thousands of others also killed."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mean really

What difference does it make to American readers that David Cameron's dad had an offshore account

And, well, Putin being corrupt is hardly news, we already knew that

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's the other thing. A bunch of Middle Eastern dictators, Putin, and Putin's lackeys all being corrupt simply isn't news.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Putin, PM of Iceland, King of SA, Prez of Argentina, Prez of Ukraine, tons of heads of state and close relations are in this thing. Heck, Jackie Chan. It's the biggest story in a long time wherever you are.

Edit: It's not exactly a shock that rich people are dodging taxes, sure, but it is a huge story that we have evidence on it with so many high profile/powerful people, and what we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg--not just of tax dodging, obviously, but of the actual leak itself. Plenty more incoming.

Darlan on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually this is interesting. There was an article on the Putin aspect on NYT about 30 minutes ago and now it is gone. Hmmm...

Still the top article on the World section of NYT domestic.

Putin stuff tied to this is still on the front page of Washpo you just have to scroll down.

Reuters in their latest headline ticker has the Aussie's looking into tax evasion from the papers.

The 24 hour channels continue to be full of stupid. But I tend to not go to them for news.

And of course it is on BBC and such outlets.

Not seeing it in the Yomiuri though. But that was a quick glance.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I'm sure there are Americans implicated. But, I thought it was relatively easy to setup companies with opaque ownership inside the US. If so, offshore accounts owned by Americans may be harder to track down. The aforementioned banking laws reinforce this idea, i think.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I just found out about it and my first impression is that it feels a lot like the Millennium books leaking into real life

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I tend to think the Americans will be fairly anonymous because it's really unlike journalists to bury the lede this obviously. You don't go heads of state/government up to the father of the UK PM and leave off like a Majority leader or PotUS

Unless they plan to package the U.S. revelations as a separate bombshell. The early stories establish the context, then later stories hit big figures since the public understands what it is they are denying.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Looks to be getting traction on government news channels, especially with regards to implicated Australians.
    The ABC has identified more than 1,000 Australian links in the data, which contains personal details including copies of the passports of hundreds of Australians.

In a statement, deputy tax commissioner Michael Cranston said the information included "some taxpayers who we have previously investigated, as well as a small number who disclosed their arrangements with us".

"It also includes a large number of taxpayers who haven't previously come forward, including high wealth individuals, and we are already taking action on those cases," he said.

Australian commercial news seems to be running it as well, albeit not to the same detail.

• Options

It finally hit the media tonight, but it is very interesting how long both the Washington Post and New York Times took to acknowledge it. Even then, The Post has it way down on the front page, with the headline about Putin, and I found the NY Times article on Google News not the front page.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Jesus Christ this shit even extends to pedophile rings and the war in Syria.

This..This is going to cause a lot of much needed upheaval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6XnH_OnpO0&feature=player_embedded

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    I'm sure there are Americans implicated. But, I thought it was relatively easy to setup companies with opaque ownership inside the US. If so, offshore accounts owned by Americans may be harder to track down. The aforementioned banking laws reinforce this idea, i think.

Not really, it's not easy in the US and the US is very aggressive, especially under Obama, in sniffing these out internationally. Obama/Clinton even got the Swiss to open their books. It's an advantage of being the financial capital of the world, the world's biggest economy and the world's only superpower.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I feel like I've said that about a dozen stories over the past decade or more. Nothing has changed so far.

I'm not trying to just be a defeatest asshole, either. It's just frustration talking.

• Options
    Do you think John Oliver will do a show on this.

Its the kind of thing he likes...

• Options

I imagine Oliver is salivating over the story, while simultaneously being sickened by it.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I feel like I've said that about a dozen stories over the past decade or more. Nothing has changed so far.

I'm not trying to just be a defeatest asshole, either. It's just frustration talking.

People will go to prison over this. It's documented evidence of fraud conducted through Western firms. Putin and the dictators are fine, but there are a lot of wealthy people in the West who spent the day frantically calling their attorneys.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I imagine Oliver is salivating over the story, while simultaneously being sickened by it.
    I also imagine that he's pissed this is coming out now, right after he's filmed.

"You mean I have to sit on this for a week? Fuck you!"

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »

Not really, it's not easy in the US and the US is very aggressive, especially under Obama, in sniffing these out internationally. Obama/Clinton even got the Swiss to open their books. It's an advantage of being the financial capital of the world, the world's biggest economy and the world's only superpower.

My point was that its pretty easy to setup an anonymous company inside the US. So, although I'm sure there are plenty of Americans hiding ownership and assets via offshore vehicles, you can also do that via an anonymous American company further shielding your ownership. Or at least that was my impression.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    At the very least soon I hope the IRS will hit a lot of rich assholes right where it hurts.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    At the very least soon I hope the IRS will hit a lot of rich assholes right where it hurts.

screw monetary punishments.

Bastards should be in jail.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

People will go to prison over this. It's documented evidence of fraud conducted through Western firms. Putin and the dictators are fine, but there are a lot of wealthy people in the West who spend the day frantically calling their attorneys.

Maybe if the IRS were funded properly I'd be less cynical with this ending well.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

screw monetary punishments.

Bastards should be in jail.

Why not both?

• Options
    edited April 2016

People will go to prison over this. It's documented evidence of fraud conducted through Western firms. Putin and the dictators are fine, but there are a lot of wealthy people in the West who spend the day frantically calling their attorneys.

Maybe if the IRS were funded properly I'd be less cynical with this ending well.

Doesn't help that half the political power in the country does whatever it can to undermine it.

But this is verging on a separate topic.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Well, maybe no Americans will go to jail over this (if it's just some rando Ponzi scheme guys, though, yeah I bet they'll get jail time).

but lots of those rich guys in Iceland are very likely to get into deep deep trouble. As was said earlier, Iceland was one of the few countries during the credit crisis that had very little tolerance for people who dicked around with securities, and a lot of those former millionaire playboys went to jail (probably because of how hard hit Iceland's banks were. The whole country almost went bankrupt).

EDIT: Also, I constantly get Greenland and Iceland mixed-up in my head, which is exactly what the dickhead Vikings who named the countries wanted.

Fuck those assholes.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Relevant quote from the first link the OP, in regards to implications of the involvement of jackasses from the US.
    Since the 70s the law firm has expanded operations and now works with affiliated offices in 44 countries, including the Bahamas, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Brazil, Jersey, Luxembourg, the British Virgin Islands, and—perhaps most troubling—the US, specifically the states of Wyoming, Florida, and Nevada.

I'm betting we're going to see a case of lots of rich assholes, that probably bitch about taxes being theft, getting outed. I hope when they do out the assholes, they mentioned just how much they paid to evade taxes, I figure it's probably going to be a sum that most people take two years to make in income. I figure that's a good way to prevent any misplaced sympathy from people that buy into the whole BS talking point of taxes being theft, is to remind them that there are wealthy, free-loading assholes that are dropping money that exceeds their yearly income into services designed to violate the law.

As for major implications. Given the nature really shady and corrupt companies, I expect we'll see some individuals in those state government's getting named. Of interest is Wisconsin and Florida, given some of the shit I've seen out of those two states, I wouldn't not be surprised if their current governors got caught up in this shit, I want to say it seems unlikely, but I'm not sure I can say that.

I can also see this bringing in new pressure to end citizen's united because I'm willing to bet that a significant amount of money went through shell corporations put together by the company at the heart of this and those companies then used the various bullshit methods that can shield their identity with various superPAC donations.

I also think this is going have some impact on the US elections in the fall, this is too big and there is enough there, that it's virtually impossible for there to be no US involvement. I think we're going to see some sitting US officials and former ones going to jail because of this. I'm also willing to bet we're going to see a disproportionate amount of involvement from the republican party on this. First, it's the party that rails against taxes, so by default, they're going to have more of the rich assholes that would utilize Mossack Fonseca's services. Second, where the party has gone lately, I'm willing to bet there also going to have the lion's share of individuals that would utilize Mossack Fonseca's services for other shitty activities that benefit from money laundering, that's not to say there won't be any democrats involved because we're talking about organization made up of humans, which are going to have their flaws and bad actors.

From a US perspective, I'm glad this came up in an election year for us. Given the implications here, it seems very unlikely that the media will be allowed to ignore this because even if there are no elected officials getting caught up in this, I think that's unlikely. It's still very strong evidence against the current regulatory policies pushed by the republican party and is a very good case of why, we want to get as much money as possible out of politics.