As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Made it to the second secret level for my first time today.
    The Abbey's a crazy place. Ended up dying to the Old King. He does not mess around.

Pretty happy that I figured out how to get into the Abbey, but man, that is a tough requirement, since it means you must play through anywhere up to the entirity of the Gungeon Proper without taking any hits.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Made it to the second secret level for my first time today.
    The Abbey's a crazy place. Ended up dying to the Old King. He does not mess around.

Pretty happy that I figured out how to get into the Abbey, but man, that is a tough requirement, since it means you must play through anywhere up to the entirity of the Gungeon Proper without taking any hits.

I'm certainly not that good and I've made it there once. I think you just need to Perfect the boss for the thing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I did it after several tries, looked up whether it was worth it to do that level/boss again, concluded that it was not, and have avoided it on every run since, and I've been perfectly happy doing so.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    I did it after several tries, looked up whether it was worth it to do that level/boss again, concluded that it was not, and have avoided it on every run since, and I've been perfectly happy doing so.

i could see it being useful if you're trying to get some of the later Elevator Man requirements sorted. A couple of extra floors of chances for keys and casings. Though, i think if/when i get the 2nd secret floor boss beaten, i'll probably never go back there. The first one isn't so bad, and the boss is way easier and more fun.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    And cute!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Got this game. Launch it, and the down and left input keys are somehow stuck on?

Anyone had this issue?

There's a steam thread with the same question by one person and no responses.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/311690/discussions/1/371919771762877012/

Apparently plugging in the keyboard WHILE the game is running fixes this.

Or at least it id for me, if anyone else is having this issue.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I just killed the Kill Pillars at the end of The Hollow and entered the elevator before I noticed there was another exit from the elevator room after the boss room. Wtf?

This is an amazing run, I have the ammo belt, a double max ammo blessing and both the MINIGUN and the COM4ANDO. Got them on levels one and two respectively. Bringing the first three parts to the forge too.

Edit: damn! Died on the fifth floor, but not before I dropped the bullet parts off at the forge. Ran into too many cursed enemies in too many small rooms.

Rius on
  • Options
    Wow. Just had an amazing run and got all the way to the High Dragun's final phase before dying. That was my first time seeing that boss, too. quite the fight. Dropped off two bullet parts, too.

I must say, though, I had some amazing gear going into that one to help me out. The Super Meat Gun just turns the entire room into constant damage, and Super Space Turtle is the invincible space hero we all need. I must remember to seek him out whenever I can in the future.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Super Space Turtle is the invincible space hero we all need. I must remember to seek him out whenever I can in the future.

SST is both the hero we need and the hero we deserve. Pulled me through an awesome run this (very)early morning to finish off the 4th Chamber's Elevator Man quest; first time perfecting Treadnaut; i just hung back with a lot of blanks, and let Turt pick up most of the slack.

Also (though unrelated to SST), got into that Goblin Head door on the same run. i have no idea what it was that let me do that without damage, but it takes you to a room with (i think) all the shop keepers, and a sharpshooting room off the side. Too bad i was saving all of my casings for Elevator Man.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Having curse or sufficient casings will let you through.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Having curse or sufficient casings will let you through.

Oh, that makes sense, then. Was sitting at 123 (amusingly enough) casings, so i guess that's around where you'd want to be shooting for. Man, i'm well happy the keys/casings bit for the 4th Chamber shortcut is done. What's that? The requirement for the 5th Chamber one is even worse? La la la! i can't hear you! La la la!

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Okay, is there a way to increase drops or something? Because getting the elevator shortcut requires three keys and 130 ammo before finishing floor 2, and that seems like it'd be hard to do.

Also, man, those floor 4 reapers and wizards. Enders of runs, I tell you.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, is there a way to increase drops or something? Because getting the elevator shortcut requires three keys and 130 ammo before finishing floor 2, and that seems like it'd be hard to do.

Also, man, those floor 4 reapers and wizards. Enders of runs, I tell you.

Pilot can help out some, if you're lucky with the Lockpick, at least you won't be forced to go through things with just the starter pistol. Casing drops seem to be better if you can clear rooms without taking damage, although this doesn't seem to be perfectly uniform. If you get lucky and get a grate in the 2nd chamber shop, and you have a less than useful gun/item, you can dump it down. Junk doesn't net much, but other stuff can get a decent enough return. If you're feeling lucky/or are already rolling extra keys, you can do the 1st secret chamber to try and net the casings. 130 is a pain, but it is doable.

The Hollow's Wizards, the ones that throw you shots back at you, they suck rocks. The reaper also can be a ball of no fun, though if you roll into his shots near a wall, most (if you're lucky all) the bullets will get stopped by it and stop chasing you about.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out which guns interact with the special ammo upgrades. It doesn't look like beam weapons are affected? Like if you get fat bullets you don't get a bigger beam? It's really hard to tell. I got heavy bullets and it didn't appear to affect my Flash gun, which fires piercing rays, but isn't a full on beam that you hold down.

• Options
    So, how am I supposed to get my hands on the Prime Primer? That be crazy expensive, and it's only on the first few floors, so I scarcely have any time to gather that much money. Do I need to just go with the Pilot for the discount, hoard my cash, and try to go into the Ouiblette for extra money opportunities?

• Options
    Pilots discount doesn't apply to the Prime Primer, naturally. Kill enemies in rooms quickly and efficiently, without taking damage; that seems to generate the most money. You've got two full floors and two bosses to kill to earn that 110, it's more often doable than not.

• Options
    Yeah, right after I said that, I managed a run where I now have that in my inventory.

On floor 3 now; no boss mastery sigils boosting my HP yet. Hope I can reach the Forge.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    So, FYI:

a. No enemy which has damaged you will ever drop casings (besides bosses). Therefor, less damage = more money.

b. The game has an accumulating item find bonus based on whole rooms cleared without damage, which resets when you get an item (but not when you get damaged, so if you get hit while at +50% chance, you still have +50% chance, but don't go up to +60% chance).

If you want cash and keys, you definitely want to play well.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Nope. Died inside of 5 seconds to the Hollow boss. Ach.

Thanks for the info on money gathering. When you say it resets if I get an item, does that include stuff like keys or Blanks that drop when a room is cleared, or stuff the dog can gather up?

Enlong on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So, FYI:

a. No enemy which has damaged you will ever drop casings (besides bosses). Therefor, less damage = more money.

b. The game has an accumulating item find bonus based on whole rooms cleared without damage, which resets when you get an item (but not when you get damaged, so if you get hit while at +50% chance, you still have +50% chance, but don't go up to +60% chance).

A. doesn't sound right, the bigger enemies have hit me and definitely dropped casings. Like the iron maiden thing, I've definitely been hit by one before and it still drops what appears to be fewer casings, but not absolutely nothing.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Wow. Bouncy Bullets and Backup Gun is a strong combination.

Also, holy crap, the Crescent Crossbow is amazing.

Sadly, another run of getting the Primer and dying to the Hollow boss. A shame, too. I had amazing weapons.

Enlong on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    So, FYI:

A. doesn't sound right, the bigger enemies have hit me and definitely dropped casings. Like the iron maiden thing, I've definitely been hit by one before and it still drops what appears to be fewer casings, but not absolutely nothing.

That's per the developer and the reddit Gungeon community, FWIW. You can still get a room reward, which can be casings.

Though, IIRC, I might have also seen that, but also with the Iron Maiden specifically, so maybe the projectiles aren't properly linked to it (not a surprising or difficult bug to have). Or you killed it with projectiles in mid air, and the loot rolled first.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Man, finishing the elevator quests was way more satisfying than beating the actual end of the game. I'm pretty pumped that I can go back to playing like normal, instead of hoping I get a good gun from a boss in order to finish the game since I can't touch my keys or money. I hated it in Spelunky, and I hate it here - the only reason to do it is because items (and one other thing) are locked behind it. Ugh.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Wait, there's a reason to do that?

I've been ignoring it because skipping floors means less money, weaponry, items, and potential heart containers.

• Options
    Yeah every floor unlock puts a new item in the pool (protip: you have to talk to elevator man in his room in the breach to actually add those items to the pool), and there's a somewhat larger reward for finishing the whole thing.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, has anyone worked out the 'cursed' aspect of the game?

Like, I admit I've played the game using a trainer...so ive managed to test it a good bit, but it does not seem consistant. Like sometimes All it will take is to pick up 2 cursed items to make that damn invincible death summon every single level..other times i will pick up dozens before he shows up.

I also noticed that if you 'pray' to the statue (I assume this option becomes available after beating the true mode or something), almost everything is cursed.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    every item/event gives 1 curse, if you drop an item with curse you lose that curse. Praying to the statue after beating a past with that character gives you 9 curse.

• Options
    Is there a way to kill the cursed death that follows you around?

• Options
    Certain things raise curse more than others - I think the wiki has at least a starting list of those numbers. I also think that almost everything curse related is based on % chance, so yeah, a lot of what you're saying makes sense.

Also, I've never seen dozens of cursed items on a single run, so I have no idea what you're doing to see that (I don't think there are dozens of cursed items in this game, unless you're just stealing nonstop).

Yeah that particular statue you're talking about maxes out your curse or something, so most/all of your enemies and bosses will be jammed.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Is there a way to kill the cursed death that follows you around?

Nope, it's like the Ghost in Spelunky.

• Options
    hush wrote: »
    Certain things raise curse more than others - I think the wiki has at least a starting list of those numbers. I also think that almost everything curse related is based on % chance, so yeah, a lot of what you're saying makes sense.

Also, I've never seen dozens of cursed items on a single run, so I have no idea what you're doing to see that (I don't think there are dozens of cursed items in this game, unless you're just stealing nonstop).

Yeah that particular statue you're talking about maxes out your curse or something, so most/all of your enemies and bosses will be jammed.

Theres a cheatengine hack that makes a rainbow chest drop every room. makes for some problematic games that end up crashing the thing because too many of the 'quantity over quality' bullets makes you flood the screen with shots and slows down my 960 GPU card. Gotta keep track of all the crap your picking up heh.

Also, there are certain guns that seem to be cursed more then others. like the unicorn horn gun and the rifle with a knife duck taped onto it are almost always cursed.

• Options
    http://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Curse

This page should explain everything you're seeing - any other guns/items you get aren't cursed unless you steal them (and that curse doesn't go away when you drop the item, I believe)

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Finally made it!

1eabpomx1m7f.png

Ice cube tray gun and gun holster pulling through to slow some bosses, then when that stopped working Dredd gun with the gun juice worked really well.

• Options
    Ammoconda continues to ruin me, I can't perfect that boss to save my life.

Finally had a run where I found the Railgun; that was a lot of fun, lol.

• Options
    The Stinger missile is super useful.

And hilarious.

• Options
    I did some accuracy testing earlier and the way accuracy works is dumb.

It's rng, that's it. There's no advanced mechanics to it like not moving or waiting between shots for better accuracy, it's just straight up already decided before you shoot rng.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I did some accuracy testing earlier and the way accuracy works is dumb.

It's rng, that's it. There's no advanced mechanics to it like not moving or waiting between shots for better accuracy, it's just straight up already decided before you shoot rng.

Well yeah, why would it be different? It's a dodgey action game, you don't want to discourage movement or DPS.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear because I'm super obtuse at games like these: there is no way to start with anything each run, right? Starting equipment for each character only?

I'm so super bad at this game. About 50 plays so far, made it floor 3 once.

• Options
    The High Priest is the fucking worst boss in this entire game

Harder than the last boss

Harder than anything else

And I've run into it on Chamber 4 the last 4 runs I've done

High Priest is the run ruiner

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I'd rather fight High Priest than the goddamned Ammoconda
    You can hide in the entryway when High Priest does his disappearing act. The random single bullets are a bitch but his other attacks aren't too scary, I think, just mostly scary

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys