As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    I think the Osh-Tek should be related to Kotal, perhaps his younger brother

I just had an idea. Neil McDonough seems like he'd be perfect for this, but who would he play?

Go with me here...

Quan Chi

Yeah

yeah

This entire season of Arrow has been his audition tape.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I just had an idea. Neil McDonough seems like he'd be perfect for this, but who would he play?

Go with me here...

Quan Chi

Yeah

yeah

The best part is anyone can do it because of the makeup

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Go with me here...

Quan Chi

Yeah

yeah

So, I know in the past Quan Chi has been portrayed as having this deep, slow voice that rolls out of him.

But if we got someone like McDonough to portray him I'd almost like to see him do Quan Chi akin to James Woods' version of Hades.

He can still be a necromantic Oni from hell, but he can also be this kind of sleazy/skrummy car-salesman of a demon who masks his deceptions through a fast talking guise.

Thoughts?

• Options

Go with me here...

Quan Chi

Yeah

yeah

So, I know in the past Quan Chi has been portrayed as having this deep, slow voice that rolls out of him.

But if we got someone like McDonough to portray him I'd almost like to see him do Quan Chi akin to James Woods' version of Hades.

He can still be a necromantic Oni from hell, but he can also be this kind of sleazy/skrummy car-salesman of a demon who masks his deceptions through a fast talking guise.

Thoughts?

I don't have a huge attachment to quan chi honestly, but he is BASICALLY Renfeld, right?

So... yeah, that seems like it would work find

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    ......yah. Yah ok. I was thinking about Quan Chi but I didn't want anyone to get fussy about possible whitewashing, or typecasting since he was already doing Dahrk.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I think it's kinda hard to whitewash a character that already looks like he is literally covered in whitewash

• Options
    Quan Chi is a demon from hell

He's not even asian-coded like the outworld populace

• Options
    So, we have some stuff figured out.

I say we move onto deciding what themes we want this 1st film to cover. What lessons are we attempting to teach? What message are we communicating?

• Options
    Hmm

Well cliche and everything, but "Looks can be deceiving" or "don't judge a book by its cover" is a good one for this first movie

You have unexpected friendship in weird places

You could even play up Shang Tseung as maybe really charming at first and then reveal that he's a monster to emphasize this

And if we change Kano to a more Han Solo-ish type then yeah the guy with the evil red eye isn't so bad works in there too

A literal Skull Man giving Cage some begrudging respect also

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    johnny is almost the most interesting character to me because you can give him the whole "selfish jackass suddenly has a tremendous weight of responsibility placed on his shoulders and steps up like a fuckin boss"

but you could do that for any character, the ol' "learning to be selfless for the greater good" thing or whatever.

i think one of the interesting themes from the newest game is that, no, just because outworld is populated by crazy as monsters and magic doesn't mean everyone there is evil, people are alike everywhere. they just wanna hang out and eat some dinner and not be murdered terribly by a guy with sword-hands.

• Options
    So @Chincymcchilla, a while back one of my roommates had his birthday and my best friend & I got him a new PlayStation 4 controller.

And as his actual birthday evening began to come to an end we asked him if there was anything else he wanted us to do.

He commanded ever so simply that my best friend was to beat the rest of Arkham Origins and that I was to beat the rest of Mortal Kombat X's story mode.

So we watched as Arkham Origins was beaten and then it was my turn to beat Mortal Kombat X, and while it didn't take a super long time I hadn't played the game in some time so it took a bit.

And every time I died my roommate would just utter, "Do it again. You don't get to quit." And I'd ask, "Why??? Why is this your birthday request!?!?"

"I want to see you fail, fail a spectacular amount."

Just another tale from The House of Zonugal

• Options
    Hmm

Well cliche and everything, but "Looks can be deceiving" or "don't judge a book by its cover" is a good one for this first movie

You could even play up Shang Tseung as maybe really charming at first and then reveal that he's a monster to emphasize this

And if we change Kano to a more Han Solo-ish type then yeah the guy with the evil red eye isn't so bad works in there too

@Chincymcchilla I don't know if you or @Zonugal have read any of the more recent Disney Star Wars comics, but for Kano I was thinking less Han Solo and more Dr. Aphra, who aside from being female is a bit like evil Indiana Jones if instead of archaeology he dealt exclusively in finding and selling rare and sometimes ancient weapons to the highest bidder

Also, charisma out the wazoo

116d9e544ef1e13ce315d8a2c1f7bbbd.jpg

screen-shot-2015-04-26-at-8-30-53-pm.png

She's not a badguy, but she works for them

• Options
    Hmm

@Chincymcchilla I don't know if you or @Zonugal have read any of the more recent Disney Star Wars comics, but for Kano I was thinking less Han Solo and more Dr. Aphra, who aside from being female is a bit like evil Indiana Jones if instead of archaeology he dealt exclusively in finding and selling rare and sometimes ancient weapons to the highest bidder

Also, charisma out the wazoo

116d9e544ef1e13ce315d8a2c1f7bbbd.jpg

screen-shot-2015-04-26-at-8-30-53-pm.png

She's not a badguy, but she works for them

Yeah that would work, I didn't think full blown hero, just not the evil asshole he is right now cause to me he's sort of boring that way

• Options
    @Joolander, that could certainly work.

At the moment I was thinking of Kano as a mix of Statham's character from Fast & Furious 7 and Sterling from Leverage.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i am officially lobbying that Coheed and Cambria do the soundtrack.

minus the Mortal Kombat theme of course.

• Options
    oh man @Zonugal

do you

do you update the mortal kombat theme

• Options
    god the studio would probably want fucking Skrillex or someone to do it

• Options
    oh man @Zonugal

do you

do you update the mortal kombat theme

I mean, why would I?

The Immortals got it down, how do you improve upon perfection???

• Options
    I wonder what the rights to that song are like

I don't understand why its never been in one of the games

• Options
    I wonder what the rights to that song are like

I don't understand why its never been in one of the games

I have to imagine its either locked up for no one's use or it'd be really inexpensive.

• Options
    So how about the rest of the sound track?

Orchestral definitely isn't right. I'm thinking a bit synth-y to match the theme, but that may put off audiences

• Options

Orchestral definitely isn't right. I'm thinking a bit synth-y to match the theme, but that may put off audiences

Disasterpiece doing his best "get you pumped" jams

• Options

I think a mix of orchestral, synth/electronica & synth-orchestral is probably a good path.

• Options
    Now I'm thinking about different characters leitmotifs

Would you have some kind of more ninja-ey theme for the ninjas, rock for the Cages, etc?

CAGE FAMILY THEME

• Options
    Cage should just have some pop-rock hair-metal bullshit theme song.

Everyone else should have some variety of the synth/orchestral series and than boom!

Cage is here with his train wreck of a theme song.

• Options
    I want

A cage family theme that has slightly different motifs for johnny, sonya, and cassie

Also, a pony

• Options
    So, regarding themes, here is what I think:

I think the central theme of the movie should be humanity and what that means.

Raiden has been protector of Earthrealm but truly doesn't understand humanity, how could he? So he's been choosing champions who he sees as strong on their own, but he's never seen them as a cohesive force. For a being who sees the forest instead of the trees, he misses humanity's greatest strength: teamwork.

So the last battle between Liu Kang and Goro, Liu should only be able to win by working together with Johnny & Sonya. Maybe Sonya does some quick investigating for any weaknesses to the Shokan & helps Liu with assessing the battle-grounds for tactical advantages. Meanwhile during the battle Johnny just heckles the fuck out of Goro to keep him distracted/flustered.

For individual themes/moral lessons I'd say:

Liu Kang learns that being groomed to be the hero doesn't make you the hero, you still have to earn that. You have to earn it through noble, virtuous acts, not martial conquests. This is Liu's central struggle.

Sonya Blade learns that vengeance clouds our hearts & minds, and truly poisons the well when it comes to solving problems. Her central struggle is controlling all of her anger/passion.

Johnny Cage learns that well sometimes you have to fake it to make it. Sometimes being a hero is just lying to yourself, tricking yourself into making those right choices. His central struggle is his own fear/self-doubt.

And Raiden learns that the best way for humanity to protect itself is to let them be a voice in their own battles.

Eh?

• Options
    Meanwhile during the battle Johnny just heckles the fuck out of Goro to keep him distracted/flustered.

I hope this leads to Goro once again crushing Johnny's favorite sunglasses

• Options
    that would make for some interesting character conflict between johnny and liu, that's for sure

"YOU'RE NOT A REAL HERO JOHNNY CAGE"

"Yeah dude I know that's that I keep telling fuckin Zeus over here, I just want a chai latte and a massage."

• Options

Raiden has been protector of Earthrealm but truly doesn't understand humanity, how could he? So he's been choosing champions who he sees as strong on their own, but he's never seen them as a cohesive force. For a being who sees the forest instead of the trees, he misses humanity's greatest strength: teamwork.

So the last battle between Liu Kang and Goro, Liu should only be able to win by working together with Johnny & Sonya. Maybe Sonya does some quick investigating for any weaknesses to the Shokan & helps Liu with assessing the battle-grounds for tactical advantages. Meanwhile during the battle Johnny just heckles the fuck out of Goro to keep him distracted/flustered.

Liu Kang learns that being groomed to be the hero doesn't make you the hero, you still have to earn that. You have to earn it through noble, virtuous acts, not martial conquests. This is Liu's central struggle.

Sonya Blade learns that vengeance clouds our hearts & minds, and truly poisons the well when it comes to solving problems. Her central struggle is controlling all of her anger/passion.

Johnny Cage learns that well sometimes you have to fake it to make it. Sometimes being a hero is just lying to yourself, tricking yourself into making those right choices. His central struggle is his own fear/self-doubt.

And Raiden learns that the best way for humanity to protect itself is to let them be a voice in their own battles.

Eh?

This is all good. In addition, Kano fails each of these challenges

• Options

Eh?

This is all good. In addition, Kano fails each of these challenges

Awww yeah! Lets have Kano represent all three of our central protagonists failures.

• Options
    Meanwhile during the battle Johnny just heckles the fuck out of Goro to keep him distracted/flustered.

I hope this leads to Goro once again crushing Johnny's favorite sunglasses

I just want an exchange like:
    Liu Kang: I'll fight Goro. I'll step into that ring but without your aid I may not step out.
    Sonya Blade: I'll dig up something on whatever the hell that thing is, he has to have a weak spot.
    Johnny Cage: And I'll distract him...
    Liu Kang: What?
    Sonya Blade: How?
    Johnny Cage: During the nineties I tried my hand at stand-up comedy. I know how to heckle, I know what words hurt...

• Options
    does kano get some kind of tragic, humanising backstory or is he just a butthole?

honestly i've always wondered about him. like, what the hell lead kano to the road he's on? nobody's born a shitty criminal arms dealer, that shit is incremental.

• Options
    does kano get some kind of tragic, humanising backstory or is he just a butthole?

honestly i've always wondered about him. like, what the hell lead kano to the road he's on? nobody's born a shitty criminal arms dealer, that shit is incremental.

I think, if warranted, you explore that in Sonya's film.

If I had to think up a backstory for Kano I'd say he was born in a rough situation and the only safe choice was crime, and so he places a lot of loyalty on his vile comrades.

So yeah Kano is a an asshole but he's loyal to a fault with his own men, which is why he learns of Kabal's betrayal it cuts him deep.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Johnny Cage additionally worked as a fluffer in 90s porn

• Options

Johnny Cage is whatever we need him to be.

That is his gift to us.

• Options

Johnny Cage is whatever we need him to be.

That is his gift to us.

ACTING!

• Options
    The thing I like most about what does "humanity" mean

Is that you can tie it into what I said about not judging people by how they first appear/act

Scorpion is Hanso Hasashi. He is as human as they come, but he has lost that humanity and needs help to regain it

The Link Kuei trade away their humanity to be better fighters and Sub Zero 2 recognizes how wrong that is and fights against it

And you see humanity in KoTal kahn and other 'monsters' who, though their morals aren't exactly the same as humans, do genuinely want better lives for their people

Humanity as an overarching theme, what makes people good, can go to nearly every one of these stories

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla, that reminds me of the other theme I want to permeate these stories.

I want honor to be something beyond your standard hokey-symbolism bullshit in films.

I want honor to be a universal language. If you don't understand someone's culture, something's biology, you can still read their honor.

You can still gauge their integrity and courage.

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla, that reminds me of the other theme I want to permeate these stories.

I want honor to be something beyond your standard hokey-symbolism bullshit in films.

I want honor to be a universal language. If you don't understand someone's culture, something's biology, you can still read their honor.

You can still gauge their integrity and courage.

I love it

It helps explain how cross dimensional alliances with people who have completely alien cultures can form alliances