As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Is there a good reason to do front squats if I have no issues with back squats?

They're a little more quad dominant, give you some back work and allow for a more upright position. It's not a huge deal either way. I found I got some good back growth from doing them.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Plenty of guys get strong without ever doing any front squats or other squat variations.

Why are you doing front squats?

No good reason other than a bodybuilding friend told me to.

And generally just looking for more variety. I think ill stick to back squats until my shoulders are noticeably stronger.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Feeling pretty good today.

Nine miles today all together. No boxing but had a really good bench day. I like this high volume stuff. Better pump if nothing else but hopefully some size increase.

Weight wise everyone who told me how good I looked last month are telling me I look bad and that I should stop losing.

Weird.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Variety. Quad development. Transitioning to Olympic lifting.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    My arms are too weak for back squats

Ok I'll bite, the bar is just sitting on your back when you're back squatting, your arms have almost nothing to do with it, so

XYpGj3C.gif

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Plenty of guys get strong without ever doing any front squats or other squat variations.

And generally just looking for more variety. I think ill stick to back squats until my shoulders are noticeably stronger.

I don't really get what you mean by your shoulders not being strong enough for front squats

Like, does the bar just hurt a ton where you have it placed? Can you not keep your elbows up during the movement? What's going on here?

• Options

I don't really get what you mean by your shoulders not being strong enough for front squats

Like, does the bar just hurt a ton where you have it placed? Can you not keep your elbows up during the movement? What's going on here?

I hold my elbows up so they're parallel with my shoulders for the duration of the motion. During my last two sets I had to stop at 6 reps instead of 8 because my arms were too tired to keep my elbows in that position.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I hold my elbows up so they're parallel with my shoulders for the duration of the motion. During my last two sets I had to stop at 6 reps instead of 8 because my arms were too tired to keep my elbows in that position.

That's front squats baybeeeee

Honestly they're going to feel that way whenever you do any kind of reps near a max for front squats.
    Unless you're a high level olympic weightlifter, it's basically a given that your failed lifts will be to degrading/poor posture, or inability to keep a strong front rack (your thing)
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Drop 20 lbs off the bar and build back up over a few weeks.
    Maybe do some presses to build up big sexy shoulders to hold the bar in position.
    Maybe do some wrist rolls/light wrist bending before front squats and between sets.

Front squats are a humbling exercise. But humble is okay in the gym; just look at all the humble as fuck bigdick millionaires that do front squats

Grape Ape on
  • Options

High reps are hard on front squats. Try them for heavy triples.

• Options
    I want to stay safe and stick to high reps until I feel a little bit more comfortable with the form.

Also in the gym I go to has two of these: http://www.gymstarters.com/wp-content/uploads/Squat-Rack-TH6675_M.jpg

...and only one of these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/graphics/product_images/pDSP1-10911221v750.jpg

So when its busy and I'm forced to use the former I'm so damn short that when I squat below parallel I hit the damn sides and end up needing to squat outside the damn thing.

So yeah... a little nervous about higher weights right now.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    High or low number of reps, bailing before you're done indicates it's too heavy. Drop weight

• Options
    but... my legs aren't tired its my shoulders!

I thought it was a leg workout!

Characters I hate:

• Options
    but... my legs aren't tired its my shoulders!

I thought it was a leg workout!

Keep at it. Before long, it will feel like a core workout instead of a shoulder one! And that is a lot closer to your legs, so...
    Tube's suggestion to try some lower rep stuff isn't a bad one. High rep front squats suck. Low rep front squats also suck, but you can arguably finish them faster.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Ok I'll bite, the bar is just sitting on your back when you're back squatting, your arms have almost nothing to do with it, so

XYpGj3C.gif

My arms still have to hold the bar against my back, something something force vector

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

XYpGj3C.gif

My arms still have to hold the bar against my back, something something force vector

Sounds like a flexibility issue more than anything.

In addition to my shoulders getting tired... my elbows seem to drop a little at the very bottom of the front squat. Also I've been trying to keep the bar as far back as possible and its really bothering my neck.

Basically the only way it would feel more uncomfortable is if someone was also stabbing me in the taint while I was squatting.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I fail front squats cus of lack of leg strength :V

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2016

XYpGj3C.gif

I don't normally get this prescriptive, but if your arms are getting tired you're doing something wrong. If you're doing low-bar you're not supporting much of the weight at all, and if you're doing high bar your arms should get tired way before your shoulders. Honestly, unless you squat like 10 times your press weight I can't imagine your arms are the limiting factor. Are you wearing some super-slick shirt?

A duck! on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @Folken Fanel Use straps on the front squats if your arms are getting tired. Keeping a clean grip for the entire set isn't really necessary especially if you're not doing Olympic lifts.

@Paladin Try tightening up your upper back and shoulders and shrugging your neck hard into the bar (but keep looking straight forward). If you're loose in the upper back and shoulders the bar can feel like it's slipping and you usually try to compensate by loading the arms more.

I'm finally getting some time in the gym after the baby. I'm still only doing 2 days a week for an hour each, but I'm able to fit two major lifts and one assistance in if I bust my balls. And I get some cardio by not taking more than half a minute between my warmups.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Drop weight
    Tube wrote: »
    Try them for heavy triples.

Goddammit

Characters I hate:

• Options
    The shirt's pretty slick and I squat like 3x my press ... used to be 4x but I'm finally getting somewhere with my arms. It was way worse when I started out because I could not wrap my hands around anywhere near my body, and my arm distance on squat is still 1.5x my press distance from the center of the bar. I feel like there's way a lot of space between my neck and scapula and there's not really a nook even if I flex - more like a half pipe

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Drop weight
    Tube wrote: »
    Try them for heavy triples.

Goddammit

If you're just learning the movement, those heavy triples don't have to be that heavy.

• Options
    @Folken Fanel Use straps on the front squats if your arms are getting tired. Keeping a clean grip for the entire set isn't really necessary especially if you're not doing Olympic lifts.

Thanks! Just youtubed this and it looks a lot more comfortable.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I find that pause reps on front squats are a good way to get more leg involvement.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Wooo, joining the pulled groin club.

Joy.

• Options
    Aww, Tommy Kono died two days ago.

He was a fucking beast

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    17 days out from my meet! Triples this week, next week is heavy across the board, and then I'm going to try this new technique called "rest and relaxation."

https://youtu.be/nkqtYGPgz-k

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Looking good. Which federation is the meet in? You might do some work with someone giving you the liftoff cues and rack commands on the lifts so you don't redlight on racking too early or something like that.

• Options
    Looking good. Which federation is the meet in? You might do some work with someone giving you the liftoff cues and rack commands on the lifts so you don't redlight on racking too early or something like that.

It's USAPL. It's bench I'm worried about, command-wise. For the past two weeks I've been hitting my opener with all three commands and loonnggg pauses after my main work.

Jumping commands is one of my bigger fears, we'll drill all of them over the next two weeks.

I'm happily accepting any and all meet-day tips..

• Options
    Definitely overestimated my prowler capabilities today

Basically did 8 x28 paces down and back with 100kg loaded up

Quads and lungs are very angry

• Options
    I never know to count the prowler in the weight, so I don't, but that's an extra 70 pounds if I do, so it sounds less vagtastic saying I did 130 kg

Wife did 70kg though for same reps but 18 paces

We were both laughing at how awful we were

You know, between sucking air like lungers

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I got this tip from one of the more experienced lifters at my second meet and I think it's probably the best tip I've ever got.

Measure your J-hook settings on the squat and bench with a tape measure. Then when you check in, see what they compare to on the contest equipment. That way you're not fucking around trying to figure out where to request the bar position to be at.

Go easy on your first lift. First meet, first lift should be something you KNOW you're gonna crush.

Don't use baby powder outside of the baby powder area.

And relax and have fun. It's great going to a meet and hanging out with all the other lifters.

Edit: I count the prowler weight in addition to the plates

You should try the low handles on the way back. :D

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    This leg press machine is useless; I can press the entire thing even though I just broke 200 on actual squats

• Options
    I got this tip from one of the more experienced lifters at my second meet and I think it's probably the best tip I've ever got.

Measure your J-hook settings on the squat and bench with a tape measure. Then when you check in, see what they compare to on the contest equipment. That way you're not fucking around trying to figure out where to request the bar position to be at.

Go easy on your first lift. First meet, first lift should be something you KNOW you're gonna crush.

Don't use baby powder outside of the baby powder area.

And relax and have fun. It's great going to a meet and hanging out with all the other lifters.

Edit: I count the prowler weight in addition to the plates

You should try the low handles on the way back. :D

Nope nope nope nope fuck the low handles

Also doing it in the cul-de-sac there is a fair incline on the way back that adds to the difficulty. Nothing extreme but it deceives you on the way down and then laughs at you on the way back.

Also, that's good advice for the meet.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Went to the powerlifting club at my crossfit gym. Was pretty cool. Got some real good tips from the nice lady coach on my squat and am going to have to spend a couple weeks at low weight working on form. She said my bench looked fine, which surprised me.

Tomorrow at crossfit I get to do 60 pull ups so yay.
    CROSSFIT

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Couple more days left in Italy.

Excited to hit the gym on monday and see how this 2 week carb load helps my lifts :P

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Went to the powerlifting club at my crossfit gym. Was pretty cool. Got some real good tips from the nice lady coach on my squat and am going to have to spend a couple weeks at low weight working on form. She said my bench looked fine, which surprised me.

Tomorrow at crossfit I get to do 60 pull ups so yay.
    CROSSFIT

What did the crossfit lady say about your squat?

• Options
    AngryLunchboxAngryLunchbox Registered User regular
    I need advice.

I recently left my old commercial gym after they banned deadlifting.

I joined a powerlifting gym up the street and the extra $ is well worth it.

It is however light on the cardio equipment. 2 bikes, 1 of which is down for maintenance. There is a sled, which I've never used before. I usually walked on the treadmill at my old gym and did the hill climb program on it, since I hate running and hike/hunt a bit. What's a good sled routine I can do for about 20-ish minutes (or whatever) a couple/three times a week? I believe he has a harness too so you can pull it.

He also has farmer's walk handles. My grip strength has improved since I've been lifting, but I can only get 1 double overhand deadlift in with 315 before the grip goes. What is a good way to ease into a routine for those?

He has a section of fake turf for the sled/walks but I'm not sure off the top of my head how long it is. 40-50 feet I'm guessing.

Thanks, gents!

• Options
    I need advice.

I recently left my old commercial gym after they banned deadlifting.

I joined a powerlifting gym up the street and the extra $ is well worth it.

It is however light on the cardio equipment. 2 bikes, 1 of which is down for maintenance. There is a sled, which I've never used before. I usually walked on the treadmill at my old gym and did the hill climb program on it, since I hate running and hike/hunt a bit. What's a good sled routine I can do for about 20-ish minutes (or whatever) a couple/three times a week? I believe he has a harness too so you can pull it.

He also has farmer's walk handles. My grip strength has improved since I've been lifting, but I can only get 1 double overhand deadlift in with 315 before the grip goes. What is a good way to ease into a routine for those?

He has a section of fake turf for the sled/walks but I'm not sure off the top of my head how long it is. 40-50 feet I'm guessing.

Thanks, gents!

My favorite place to program loaded carries is on my heaviest deadlift day, after my main sets. But I am a powerlifter, so the programming choice reflects my priorities.

Another option is to add a GPP day, where you do sled work, a density block of chin ups, loaded carries, and maybe some arm and ab work afterwards. Keep the rest periods short. You could introduce a second similar day after a month or two.

In that situation you would have to be mindful about overtraining your grip, but it could be done intelligently.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    She said I need to sit back more at the top, and open my hips more at the bottom. Things I used to do but had forgotten.

Also she is a legit powerlifting coach, they have 3 of them. If I didn't have a gym at home is I'd keep going after the study is over.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.