As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    You could bring a jump rope into that powerlifting gym if you want more cardio options there

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    And fuck it, you don't need to program farmer walks. Just load them up and walk.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Day 1 of 5/3/1, got 8 at 323 for my 85%. Not bad, figured I get ten but 8 was fugly.

Did some glute ham raises, high pulls and some cable crunches and leg raises to finish it off.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    And fuck it, you don't need to program farmer walks. Just load them up and walk.

I find that goes for a lot of exercises - If I want to do lat. raises on back day, fuck it I'll do that. Everything doesn't have to be programmed in details. I think if someone hit their working sets on the compounds it's pretty much free game for the rest of the workout.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

I find that goes for a lot of exercises - If I want to do lat. raises on back day, fuck it I'll do that. Everything doesn't have to be programmed in details. I think if someone hit their working sets on the compounds it's pretty much free game for the rest of the workout.

And here's the deal about carries and other shit like that, you have to gauge how you feel. If you feel like a heavy carry isn't gonna go well, lighten it up and double the distance, or do more reps, whatever. If you're feeling strong like bull, go heavy as shit.

Same goes for auxiliaries. Keep in mind what compliments your main lifts for the day, but if you're feeling strong go heavy. If you feel like shit do a set or two of light weight high rep and go home. If you really don't feel it get your main one and go home. There are definitely days when I get to lifting and I realize very fast that it's gonna be over as soon as my work sets are finished.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    When doing bent-over dumbbell flys, it's very important to not smash the end of one of the damn things into a kneecap.

Ow. Jesus. Know my shame so you avoid this fate. Let it be a lesson to you all.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

And here's the deal about carries and other shit like that, you have to gauge how you feel. If you feel like a heavy carry isn't gonna go well, lighten it up and double the distance, or do more reps, whatever. If you're feeling strong like bull, go heavy as shit.

Same goes for auxiliaries. Keep in mind what compliments your main lifts for the day, but if you're feeling strong go heavy. If you feel like shit do a set or two of light weight high rep and go home. If you really don't feel it get your main one and go home. There are definitely days when I get to lifting and I realize very fast that it's gonna be over as soon as my work sets are finished.

knowing to go light when you're feeling shitty would probably have saved me from that most recent injury, instead of just powering through the program

poo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Paladin wrote: »
    This leg press machine is useless; I can press the entire thing even though I just broke 200 on actual squats

One leg at a time

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    This leg press machine is useless; I can press the entire thing even though I just broke 200 on actual squats

One leg at a time

Oh snap

Is probably the sound my knees will make if I'm not careful

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Two things:
    Snatched 100 for a triple to prove a point
    My little gym babies learned to love me again

• Options
    What was the point behind the snatch?

• Options
    What was the point behind the snatch?

Honestly it was kind of a failed point. I was trying to drive home a point about being unafraid to get under a heavy lift when you're fatigued.
    It morphed into more of a statement about not knowing if you can make the lift until you commit to it.

• Options
    100 for a triple is no fucking joke.

• Options
    I thought I was a badass when I walked into the Weightroom and snatched 85 in jeans and boots straight from class.

Grape Ape has shamed me

• Options
    My gym badass moment, which I'm sure I've shared before, was breaking my nose in the gym while snatching and finishing my squats before I went to hospital with my nose pissing blood.

I mean dumb as rocks

But everyone treated me differently after that

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Three miles in under 30 minutes.

Cardio gains?

I'll take it.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My gym badass moment: pinching my finger between some plates when I was putting them away and then going to the front desk for a bandaid

awww yeah

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think one time I deadlifted and didn't wipe the chalk off of the bar.

American badass right here.

• Options
    I once destroyed my forehead snatching 50 from the boxes and tore off part of my eyebrow.

I also rigged up the GHD tonight with a band for some ghetto reverse hypers. Now if only I could rig up a way to have it pull me forward without ripping out my leg hairs

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My badass moment was when my buddy and I were doing Zercher squats and a trainer walked by and was all "Hell yea, Zercher squats, nobody ever does those here, way to go!"

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I decided to give fasting a go today, since it's an off day. I'm not eating until 12, but I'm taking 20g or so of BCAA through the morning. My fat loss needs a bit of acceleration since I fucked April off.

• Options
    @Kakodaimonos you were asking about mouth guards and PowerPlus mouth guards sent me an email suggesting a 17% increase in overall strength just by wearing their custom fitted mouth guard!

They'll be at the conference I'm going to this week

• Options
    I was thinking I might pick one up next paycheck, Brian Shaw's always got one in and that's good enough for me.

• Options
    Kakodaimonos you were asking about mouth guards and PowerPlus mouth guards sent me an email suggesting a 17% increase in overall strength just by wearing their custom fitted mouth guard!

I must be missing something, because I can't fathom how a mouthguard would make you stronger outside of it being dipped in amphetamines

• Options
    I can sure fathom how you could game a study to get that result though

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Kakodaimonos you were asking about mouth guards and PowerPlus mouth guards sent me an email suggesting a 17% increase in overall strength just by wearing their custom fitted mouth guard!

I must be missing something, because I can't fathom how a mouthguard would make you stronger outside of it being dipped in amphetamines

I'll screenshot the email in a bit when I'm home from work

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I could see MAYBE being able to clench your jaw real hard without destroying your teeth would let you tighten up more overall during your lift.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    My forearms are all messed up from my very narrow low bar squat rack position. The pain is distinctly muscular. Heat or ice to rehab before the meet? I was thinking heat and maybe a rice bucket to promote blood flow?

• Options
    z17w8e28abcw.png

• Options
    DL it is now your duty to do a free strength test and report back to us.

I'm going to do about a million sets on bench tonight, it is going to be glorious.

• Options
    Eh, I'm gonna be going to the speakers I want to see, eating all the free protein samples, and trying to score free shirts from vendors so I can have more workout clothing.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Methuselah wrote: »
    My forearms are all messed up from my very narrow low bar squat rack position. The pain is distinctly muscular. Heat or ice to rehab before the meet? I was thinking heat and maybe a rice bucket to promote blood flow?

Don't do anything new. Any rehab you've done before is fine. You don't know how your body will react to anything new and you don't want to make things worse right before a meet.

Edit:
    @Dead Legend I don't think you need to go to conference to get free protein samples.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »

Don't do anything new. Any rehab you've done before is fine. You don't know how your body will react to anything new and you don't want to make things worse right before a meet.

Edit:
    @Dead Legend I don't think you need to go to conference to get free protein samples.

Thanks dude, you're absolutely right, I needed to hear that

• Options
    Nah, but gotta go for my CEU's. Those are the reason why I go.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    it sucks that the protein from pork rinds is mostly gelatin and not that useful

i wish i could just eat pork rinds forever

poo
  • Options
    Can a 230lb person get to a single pull up by just doing assisted pull ups

Or is this something that requires more than 1 exercise

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The stronger I get in rows, the stronger I get in pull-ups. Strengthen ye back.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    The stronger I get in rows, the stronger I get in pull-ups. Strengthen ye back.

Like, superset rows after?

• Options
    You can do pull-ups at that weight but you need to be very strong. Plus, pull ups are just a hard exercise.

This discussion has been closed.