As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: Rebellion - Not without my Luke

15678911»

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    They could if Preda rolls as good as you did!

• Options
    We can move on to Rebels shooting though

Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - space round 1

1 x-wing (1/1 hits)
    2 y-wing (3/2 hits)

2 cards

1 star destroyer
    1 assault carrier
    1 TIE

2 cards

geth roll 1d6 for Rebel black dice
    geth roll 2d6 for Rebel red dice

Rebel black dice:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Rebel red dice:
    2d6 9 [2d6=5, 4]

• Options
    1 black hit
    1 red hit
    1 explosion

@Preda for hits and card play

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Black hit on Tie. Red hit and explosion on Assault Carrier. No Cards.

@Lykouragh to block.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Sure, save the carrier using Defensive Formation (block 1 damage).

• Options
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - space round 1 - end

1 x-wing (1/1 hits)
    2 y-wing (3/2 hits)

2 cards

1 star destroyer
    1 assault carrier (1/2 hits)
    1 TIE (1/1 hit)

2 cards

• Options
    okay....sorry was going to do this last night but had to stay and give a statement to police after a bar fight broke out. Was too burned out when I got home and went straight to bed.

Someone hit someone in the head with a beer bottle and a fight broke out. It was at one of those hipster bars with board games.

The fight broke out 10 feet from an in progress game of Candyland O_O

• Options
    /bucketlistadd "Get into barfight over boardgame kingmaking"

• Options
    Candyland kingmaking!!!!

• Options
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 1

3 troopers

1 card

1 stormtrooper
    1 AT-ST

1 card

geth roll 2d6 for Empire black dice
    geth roll 1d6 for Empire red dice

Empire black dice:
    2d6 7 [2d6=4, 3]
    Empire red dice:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

• Options
    2 black hits

@Daemon for hit assignment and cards

• Options
    He should have another couple cards that I drew for him during the space phase with Brilliant Tactics, right?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    he should have 2 more cards....also 3 more letters in his @ notice mention

MrBody on
  • Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    2 hits to 2 troopers

• Options
    Won't be able to get to the deck until Monday night.

• Options
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 1

3 troopers (1 hit/1 hit)

1 card

1 stormtrooper
    1 AT-ST

3 cards

geth roll 3d6 for Rebel black dice

Rebel black dice:
    3d6 18 [3d6=6, 6, 6]

• Options
    3 sabers!!! @Preda

• Options
    Why now? I could have killed everything in space with that!
    Use Take it Down (saber): Deal 2 damage to 1 ground unit with 1 saber to put 2 damage on AT-ST. Than draw another card with second saber and wait the draw for the third...

• Options
    Discard Dig In to play Dig In to block 2 damage to AT-ST

• Options
    New card dealt. 1 saber left.

• Options
    Well, than if you block it,
    Use the last Saber to play another Take it Down (saber): Deal 2 damage to 1 ground unit and do another 2 damage to the AT-ST!

• Options
    Defensive Formation to prevent 1 damage

• Options
    Ouch

• Options
    Let's end this... Roll the dice, if you have a single hit the game is over...

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 1 end

3 troopers (1 hit/1 hit)

0 cards

1 stormtrooper
    1 AT-ST (1 hit)

0 cards

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 2

1 trooper

0 cards

1 stormtrooper
    1 AT-ST (1 hit)

0 cards

geth roll 2d6 for Empire black dice
    geth roll 1d6 for Empire red dice

1 explosion

Empire black dice:
    2d6 7 [2d6=5, 2]
    Empire red dice:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 2

1 trooper (1 hit)

0 cards

1 stormtrooper
    1 AT-ST (1 hit)

0 cards

geth roll 1d6 for Rebel black dice

1 black hit

Rebel black dice:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

MrBody on
  • Options
    Battle at Utapau (rebel base) - ground round 2 - end

0 cards

1 AT-ST (1 hit)

0 cards

• Options
    latest?cb=20091202184047

Rebel base overrun!

Galactic Empire victorious

Order returns to the scum-free galaxy

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Good job everyone.

Consensus is that the Rebels have the advantage, but they're harder to learn in the beginning.

Some secrets are:

- Base placement is usually as far away from the starting Empire fleet as possible, or a backwater they normally wouldn't visit in their race to grab as many production worlds as possible. Utapau probably wasn't a great choice as it is neither. It was close to a big chunk of Imperial fleet and they would want to grab its massive resources anyway even if they knew the base wasn't there.

- Realizing how crippling a leader capture can be, and taking steps to avoid putting leaders in positions where they can be captured (or at least having red fist leaders accompany them).

- Understanding that the base evacuation happens at the end of the action phase rather than as soon as the mission is flipped.

- Taking out assault carriers whenever you can. Blowing up the Empire's taxis can really hamper the speed of their search.

- As per the above, I can't imagine why the Rebels would ever want to build an X-wing over a Y-wing. The production system is kind of odd in that the Empire never really builds more TIE fighters than capital ships.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Howdy Howdy Howdy!
    I've been watching ya'lls game with interest.
    After playing a round at my brother's house, I picked up a copy.
    I lost as the imperials, (base was in a place I mentally checked off as probed)
    I've been building a forum game out of it, and I was wondering if you guys had any feedback regarding the game!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the game, everyone!

• Options
    Good game. I would have picked different things at start as rebel, and I think the game was already almost doomed whan I picked it up. But I should have relocated the base at first chance anyway and I didn't. My bad. Good game, it made me buy the tabletop game.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind hosting another game if there was enough interest. Like all asymmetrical games, it should be more interesting once everyone is familiar with it.

It's definitely a lot easier to run after I have all the scans and picture assets created!

• Options
    Thanks for running the game MrB!

• Options
    Thanks for running, and I'm interested in an eventual second game.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I've been building a forum game out of it, and I was wondering if you guys had any feedback regarding the game!

For the game in general?

It's an interesting asymmetrical effort.

Good recreation of the Rebellion's guerilla nature eventually forming into an actual conventional force.

Endless quote potential.

The physical game gets a C- for visual design. The leader cards should show leader portraits on the back, but instead they show...the empty cockpit of a YT-1300 freighter? Huh? And then the only thing differentiating the 2 sides is the Empire deck is slightly darker?

I am not a fan of the tactics card system. It makes combat a lot clunkier and more confusing for beginners than necessary. Considering 90% of the cards amount to inflicting or blocking hits or rerolls, I'm wondering why they just couldn't have leader bonuses provide rerolls and do away with the cards all together.

Disappointing that the Death Star is more a unit transporting liability than a fearsome terror weapon. I've never known anyone to bother building a 2nd one once they know the game. The whole mechanic of destroying the Death Star needs some reworking.

Some nibbling balance quirks, like how some action cards are must picks (Lando's Independent Operation, Luke/Wedge's One in a Million) and how there's no real reason for the Rebels to ever build x-wings.

All in all, it's a good game but it seems like one of those Fantasy Flight efforts that's destined for a streamlined 2nd edition in a couple years, one that makes people say, "Thank god they streamlined X mechanic!"

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'm significantly more hyped than MrB is.... I've played around 20-30 games and I'm not tired of it yet. Lovely game, very surprising how deep the strategy is for a themed 2p asymmetric, I love it as much as I love War of the Ring and for basically the same reasons.

Yeah, though, there are some mechanics that aren't well thought out. Building a 2nd Death Star, building Super Star Destroyers, and the possibility of getting double moves by retreating are my pet peeves. I've never even seen a Death Star destroyed, though that's possibly just because my group plays around it so hard.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Ha ha, yes! The retreat double move exploit is real.

The Death Star destroying mechanic is weird because it's the same regardless of how many Rebel fighters there are. As long as a single one survives the combat round, you roll 3 dice and an explosion result blows it up. That's about a 44% chance, or guaranteed if you have the one in a million action card. It's pretty much either a coin flip at worst or a certainty no matter how well guarded the death star is. 2 automatic victory points for the Rebels. I think it would actually be more beneficial to start out with a Super Star Destroyer than a Death Star. It's actually less vulnerable and doesn't give away victory points.

It's a shame because the secret project deck should have a lot of fun toys. It's never really practical to touch though except as a side effect of undoing sabotage with the R&D mission.

Hopefully there's an expansion in the works that irons out the issues, like the first expansion did for Twilight Imperium.

(the one and only time the Death Star was a boon was one game where the Empire player got very lucky in picking a mission early on that gave away the location of the Rebel Base, and had guessed the correct path for the Death Star previously. He then lucked out further by getting the card that let him pick any special project card, choosing the super laser. I relocated the Rebel Base, but didn't have time to run another mobilization next turn to evac the FIVE airspeeders I had hoarded there. They were all blown up with the planet :( )

MrBody on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Here's a quick mechanic breakdown of play in my attempt at streamlining this for the forum and supporting 10-20 players

Each turn, consists of an Assault phase followed by Defense phase, followed by Narration.
    Each Player is allowed 1 action total, to be used for either phase.

Assault Actions

A) Deploy an Ability in an eligible system. Post action in thread and Roll 2d6, plus any modifiers.
    1-6 is a failure, 7-12 is a success. (Bob posts to Thread, Assault Ability in Hex 6, and rolls 2d6)

B) Move Units to Hex without enemy forces - Deploy to the System and move X units from an adjacent hex.
    Units can only move once. Systems with units are considered controlled.

C) Move Units to Attack - Deploy to the System and move X units from an adjacent hex. Roll Xd3 -X, to initiate an attack.
    (Bob posts to thread, an attack on Hex 1 with 20 units from Hex 4, rolls 20d3 - 20)

Defenders will roll dice in the defense phase for their units. At turn resolution, roll damage is applied to units.
    If defenders survive, surviving attackers will return to their origin. If only attackers remain, system is considered controlled.

Defense Actions

A) Deploy an Ability in an eligible system. Post action in thread and Roll 2d6, plus any modifiers.
    1-6 is a failure, 7-12 is a success. (Bob posts to Thread, Defense Ability in Hex 6, and rolls 2d6)

B) Move Units to Hex without enemy forces - Move to the System and move X units from adjacent hex.
    Units moved in the assault phase cannot move.

C) Aid action - Move to System where Assault action was deployed by ally.
    roll 1d3 -1, to add to their roll. Only one player may aid an action. (actions include Move Units to Attack)

D) Block action - Move to System where any action was deployed by an enemy.
    roll 1d3 -1, to subtract the enemy’s roll. Only one player may block an action. (actions include Move Units to Attack)

---

Turn Resolution

Narration marks what events transpired, and doles out CRED, based on controlled and loyal systems.
    The values of CRED they generate, is indicated by the numbers on the left (controlled) and right (loyal).
    Controlled Systems are any system with Units. Loyal Systems, have a positive level of loyalty with your team.

The Assault phase starts immediately after Narration, and Team Leaders can begin to purchase units with CRED, to be deployed.
    Deployed units cannot attack or act this turn. If deployed units are attacked, they must be moved to a free adjacent hex in the defense phase."

Purchasing New Actions

Turn Resolution creates CRED that can be spent by the team leader on controlled hexes for units,
    or spent for alternative actions for players. Actions can be purchased by team leader at any time.
    Purchased actions are expended after use. Stores have limited stock of actions.
    Teams receive purchased actions at the end of the turn.

An example role based off of "Find Yoda"
    "First Moderator - Rebel Support Player

Tested, and confident, you’ve been here since the beginning, with intimate knowledge of the forums and it’s systems.
    You along others were fired by the New Management, but they haven’t seen the last of you.
    If this rebellion is to succeed, you’ll need to teach these kids a thing or two, and pull whatever strings you still have.

Goal: Survival until Rebellion Victory. Each turn advances the Turn marker toward the Rep marker. Complete objectives to advance the Rep marker.
    Game ends if the two markers meet, or if the New Management finds and controls the Forum Rebellion’s Secret Base.
    Secret Base is chosen by the Rebellion at start of the game, and remains secret until New Management moves units into the System.
    Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe!

First Moderator’s Base Action

Train & Protect - 2d6 - Assault phase: Give permanent +1 to Ally (Limit of +2) for actions
    Ally cannot be targeted for capture, regardless of success : Deploy in same system as Ally"

Do you think too much is lost by have combat determined essentially by 1D3-1, (1 is a miss, 2 is hit, 3 is a double hit)?

I like the differentiation of units, but mechanically, it felt like something to justify Starwars AT-ATs not being able to fight Cruisers

VayBJ4e.png