As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Man this company is insane with paperwork. They also had me send out reference surveys which, whatever, but I warned them my last supervisor is forbidden from commenting directly on my performance via company policy . I wonder how that will play out.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, fuck.

So apparently I was the first choice for this job, but then the person who I would be supervisor apparently pitched a fit that they had not been considered for the job even though she had been made well aware that they'd be able to apply for it. So they ended up interviewing them and giving the job to them instead and I get hosed.

The recruiter I was working with is pissed too because apparently they've done this to her once or twice before where they have her put in the work of finding external candidates and then picking an internal one afterward. She even told them this time that she was reluctant to try to place someone with them again and they said that they did not have any internal candidates.

So, balls.

Trying to stay positive, though, as Amy reminded me that we will be getting a decent chunk of money from an inheritance from her father soon and we can use that to get by if I don't find something by the time my current job ends and that I don't have to rush to take something just to take something so I should really try to find something I know I'll be happy at.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I basically have no idea how to even begin applying for out of state jobs.

Like, we can't really save money to rent a place and then look for jobs, I don't get enough vacation time to take time off for the odd interview, and plus I don't have nearly enough experience for any jobs to consider me worthwhile enough to pay for relocation.

But, man, 1-bedroom apartments are $2000+ here now. And they don't seem to be going down, either.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Most places nowadays will do Skype interviews.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    That is bonkers. I have a 2400sqft detached house and my mortgage, taxes and insurance is less than that.

Come join us in the land of sane costs of living Mori. It's nice here.

Sorry about the bad news though. It's tough to move long distances under even the best of circumstances. Let alone trying to line up two jobs at the same time.

• Options
    At least I've got some time.

Oh and hey I was wrong about apartment prices.
    As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of San Jose, CA is $2783. One bedroom apartments in San Jose rent for $2362 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2960.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Would moving to a commutable suburb for a year be cheap enough for you to build up some savings for a bigger move to a more preferable area?

Weaver on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Tomorrow my toxic workplace is going to an Escape the Room activity because locking us in a room together will definitely make us all nicer to each other.

I'm determined to be professional during the ordeal.

But oh sweet baby Jesus...

Witness Me.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jeez, and I thought my work environment was toxic

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is that gonna include the lady with the sign on her door about being lucky to work there

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Tomorrow my toxic workplace is going to an Escape the Room activity because locking us in a room together will definitely make us all nicer to each other.

I'm determined to be professional during the ordeal.

But oh sweet baby Jesus...

Witness Me.

I have the conch! I will speak!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Would moving to a commutable suburb for a year be cheap enough for you to build up some savings for a bigger move to a more preferable area?

We already live in the suburbs, and most cities around here (I work in Palo Alto) are more, not less expensive.

The bay area is a load of bullshit if you aren't an engineer of some kind.

• Options
    Speaking of apartments, these fucking apodments here in Seattle are listing themselves as 1-bedroom units which really fucks up searching for a new place.

Yes, technically they are 1 bedrooms.

They are only room for a bed.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    so I got a job that pays well right after graduating from college

how much do you guys think is an accurate monthly amount for rent + food + utilities + car/gas (ie. normal living expenses), assuming no roommate and medium/average COL area

trying to see how much I can realistically start saving

My estimate was like 1500 to 2000 / month but idk

When I was doing budgets for people I generally found that it didn't vary by much. It sounds like you're pretty close.

If you're doing a budget then you're really leaving out a lot of stuff. You want to look at insurance, cell phone, clothing, auto maintenance, and hidden rent fees like trash service-- I suspect you're leaving those out.

Here is a fairly typical budget that I created from memory back when I did this sort of financial planning. You aren't going to have a lot of these expenses, which is good because you don't receive a benefit from the federal government to pay for it, so deduct those from your total.

I'll give you this budget because when the numbers didn't add up to something akin to this and there was no real reason for them to deviate, I started getting suspicious. Usually I could get the right answer by asking Really? when someone said they spent something like $25 a month on food.

This is a sort of low ball budget for someone who lives modestly and doesn't get out much, but with a high rent.

Auto insurance: 90
    Care providers: 800
    Cell Phone: 125
    Clothing: 50 (this can be a lot lower for someone who isn't looking for expensive clothes and doesn't have a prosthesis that wears clothes out more quickly than they should.)
    Credit Card: 67 (This can be a lot higher for you if you don't budget.)
    Dependent Support: 350 (I hope you don't have to pay child support straight out of college.)
    Electricity: 140 (2 br apt)
    Gas: 250 (This is atlanta mileage for someone who gets driven around infrequently circa 2011-- so like a lot more than now.)
    Groceries: 300 (About average per person without fail where I lived at the time. There were rare exceptions in the northern most reaches of the state because *has a tractor and small farm*)
    Home/Renters insurance: 27
    Rent: 950
    Telephone/tv/internet: 110
    Vehicle maintenance: 25
    Tithes: 100 (demographically the odds are against this is being an expense for you.)
    Trash: 32 (apartments screw you on this.)

So, assuming you aren't a geriatric college graduate with two baby mommas, I'd look to say 90 + 125 + 50 + 140 + 250 + 300 + 27 + 1000 (your rent) + 110 (your internet) + 25 (give or take how often your car has problems) + 32

Which would come to around $2,117, somewhat over your guess.

This also excludes health insurance, medical co-pays, and prescriptions, because my clients had those covered by other means so I can't give you a good guestimate for what "average" should be, or if there even is one in that category-- however, you might not feel this if it's coming directly out of your paycheck.

edit:

Moriveth come move to Rhode Island, you can get a beach house for $45k and then get a new one after a flood destroys it. It's home ownership with all of the benefits and none of the commitment. Also snow and beaches aren't as cool when they're frozen but hey whatever.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    @Moriveth You could always move to a different part of California?

We live in the good part of Inglewood and rent here is like $1700-$1800 for 2bd, 2ba places.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

We already live in the suburbs, and most cities around here (I work in Palo Alto) are more, not less expensive.

The bay area is a load of bullshit if you aren't an engineer of some kind.

Yeah, Seattle area is in the same boat unless you want to live in the shitty parts between the airport and the military base.

Kind of pissed now though, because I would have had some money saved up if I hadn't been out from work because of my back back in April, but I just did a search and there's a nice upper floor one bedroom twice the size of our current studio two blocks away from where we are now, across the street from where I work, for only $30 more a month than the new lease we just started here, which I signed because I needed to save up for moving costs.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I basically have no idea how to even begin applying for out of state jobs.

Like, we can't really save money to rent a place and then look for jobs, I don't get enough vacation time to take time off for the odd interview, and plus I don't have nearly enough experience for any jobs to consider me worthwhile enough to pay for relocation.

But, man, 1-bedroom apartments are $2000+ here now. And they don't seem to be going down, either.

I'm applying internationally and at this point am basically going HEY LOOK I CAN GET A TN VISA IN A MATTER OF DAYS AND I'LL EVEN PAY FOR IT IF THAT HELPS in the cover letter

But due to some pretty brutal financial issues I can at this point basically afford a first and last month's rent, at best, so I'm going to need at least some kind of relocation supplement, and I'm worried that that's going to discount me from a lot of potential jobs and ugh

I can probably get my dad to drive things and not have movers be a concern assuming I'm going somewhere within a reasonable distance, but I'm worried about say, not being able to buy food until I get that first pay, which would be Not Good

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ok so I'm just gonna toot my own horn here for a minute

I graduated about...two weeks ago now e: 1.5 weeks ago with a B.A. in history with special honors and award for best senior honors thesis in history, and east asian studies. I put out three applications in total. Two of the places I applied to flew me out to D.C., all-expenses paid for, for interviews. First place didn't hire me. Second place did. I've just graduated with a fucking liberal arts degree and I'm going into a career-field that uses my degree and is paying me 51k as a starting salary. Plus, because the job requires an extensive background check, I get the next 6-9 months off to help my family move into a new home and maybe travel a bit with my dad.

I feel like I hit the jackpot. This is just...ridiculous

So. Anyone in the D.C. area gonna be there in the next few months and wanna show me around?

Oghulk on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Horn tooting is perfectly acceptable

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Ok so I'm just gonna toot my own horn here for a minute

I graduated about...two weeks ago now e: 1.5 weeks ago with a B.A. in history with special honors and award for best senior honors thesis in history, and east asian studies. I put out three applications in total. Two of the places I applied to flew me out to D.C., all-expenses paid for, for interviews. First place didn't hire me. Second place did. I've just graduated with a fucking liberal arts degree and I'm going into a career-field that uses my degree and is paying me 51k as a starting salary. Plus, because the job requires an extensive background check, I get the next 6-9 months off to help my family move into a new home and maybe travel a bit with my dad.

I feel like I hit the jackpot. This is just...ridiculous

So. Anyone in the D.C. area gonna be there in the next few months and wanna show me around?

Yeeeessssssss! Congrats! Welcome to the area! Let me know if you need a couch to crash on while you check out some places in the area.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    "care providers"?

Jars on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    5 hours of OT today. Last 30 minutes was waiting for HR to assign us work, because even though there are 4,000 tickets in the queue, the resource managers can't gives us access to everything in the queue at once, because if they did then no one would know what they were being paid for.

So yay, $22 for sitting on my butt.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    "care providers"?

I would guess nanny/daycare.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we have some Scots in this forum, but from where exactly?

My boss just OKed my extended conference visit, so I'm gonna be in Edinburgh in Mid July for 5 nights. I'm down to grab a beer in the evening with a forumer or whatever.

There's a fair few forumites in Glasgow, but I can't recall any SE++ people based in Edinburgh (I'm in the distant north of Scotland myself).

Dang. I almost flew through Glasgow but then some airline added direct flights again. And even though it's close, it's probably too far when I spend all day at the conference.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    so I got a job that pays well right after graduating from college

how much do you guys think is an accurate monthly amount for rent + food + utilities + car/gas (ie. normal living expenses), assuming no roommate and medium/average COL area

trying to see how much I can realistically start saving

My estimate was like 1500 to 2000 / month but idk

When I was doing budgets for people I generally found that it didn't vary by much. It sounds like you're pretty close.

If you're doing a budget then you're really leaving out a lot of stuff. You want to look at insurance, cell phone, clothing, auto maintenance, and hidden rent fees like trash service-- I suspect you're leaving those out.

Here is a fairly typical budget that I created from memory back when I did this sort of financial planning. You aren't going to have a lot of these expenses, which is good because you don't receive a benefit from the federal government to pay for it, so deduct those from your total.

I'll give you this budget because when the numbers didn't add up to something akin to this and there was no real reason for them to deviate, I started getting suspicious. Usually I could get the right answer by asking Really? when someone said they spent something like $25 a month on food.

This is a sort of low ball budget for someone who lives modestly and doesn't get out much, but with a high rent.

Auto insurance: 90
    Care providers: 800
    Cell Phone: 125
    Clothing: 50 (this can be a lot lower for someone who isn't looking for expensive clothes and doesn't have a prosthesis that wears clothes out more quickly than they should.)
    Credit Card: 67 (This can be a lot higher for you if you don't budget.)
    Dependent Support: 350 (I hope you don't have to pay child support straight out of college.)
    Electricity: 140 (2 br apt)
    Gas: 250 (This is atlanta mileage for someone who gets driven around infrequently circa 2011-- so like a lot more than now.)
    Groceries: 300 (About average per person without fail where I lived at the time. There were rare exceptions in the northern most reaches of the state because *has a tractor and small farm*)
    Home/Renters insurance: 27
    Rent: 950
    Telephone/tv/internet: 110
    Vehicle maintenance: 25
    Tithes: 100 (demographically the odds are against this is being an expense for you.)
    Trash: 32 (apartments screw you on this.)

So, assuming you aren't a geriatric college graduate with two baby mommas, I'd look to say 90 + 125 + 50 + 140 + 250 + 300 + 27 + 1000 (your rent) + 110 (your internet) + 25 (give or take how often your car has problems) + 32

Which would come to around $2,117, somewhat over your guess.

This also excludes health insurance, medical co-pays, and prescriptions, because my clients had those covered by other means so I can't give you a good guestimate for what "average" should be, or if there even is one in that category-- however, you might not feel this if it's coming directly out of your paycheck.

edit:

Moriveth come move to Rhode Island, you can get a beach house for $45k and then get a new one after a flood destroys it. It's home ownership with all of the benefits and none of the commitment. Also snow and beaches aren't as cool when they're frozen but hey whatever.
    I know I don't have to pay any insurance premiums but I don't know exactly about copays

it's good to have these estimates; living on 25k is insanely good if I can pull it off

can retire in like 18 years potentially

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How do people generally stay interested in a well paying job that does not fit the career they want to go into?

I ask because I have been working at a credit card company going on 10 months now in the collections department. My company apparently happens to be one of very few who has a department that contacts risky accounts that are current to update information and if possible get them to enroll into automatic payments (that is the primary goal and weighs heavily on our stats). I doubt I have to really go into how little people enjoy these calls and how genuinely offended people tend to get. I also probably wont be moving up to delinquent accounts until August.

I just don't have any motivation anymore and it is killing me. I make about 30k a year, incredible benefits, and incentives left and right. I have a very good chance for winning the top performer award for my department for the second time and I am looking at a bonus of about $200-$400 on a pay check next month. So in all it is a really good job.

I just used up my last of 6 unplanned paid time off that I get and I believe the sixth gives me a written warning that goes away after a month. Not a huge deal, or at least right now it is not. I just have such a hard time motivating myself to go into work. I wake up and try to psych myself into wanting to be there but on my drive there I lose focus and start to think about how I am tired of these calls. Some of them get really depressing and telling someone who is going through a really awful situation that I cannot help them in anyway is a bit soul crushing. I hate having to do that and any advice I give feels hollow. I was trying to work really hard to move into a coaching position since I am far better at relaying information, giving advice, and operating the system than I am actually putting it into work but it is such a long process that I gave up on that.

The stat calculating is also really stressful. Everything is looked at and everyday I look at my stats and see how I am doing and I stress and constantly think about how I can improve on stats, what other people are doing that is working so well for them, and trying to figure out how to make something work. My team coach and leader keep telling me to stop stressing and that my stats are fine but I cannot stop stressing. My stats are literally what determine if I move up or not and if I get my incentive or not.

At this point I am trying to use two PTO days a month to get 5 days off in a row and so far it is helping a bit. I even asked if I could move to part time or a swing shift and that is a huge maybe on if I can do that since the department requires a certain amount of full time employees and we are very short staffed at the moment. The only thing really motivating me to stay there right now is attempting to pay off the $8k I have in credit card debt so I can relieve that stress and try to move onto what I would really like to try and do as a career.

Part of me wants to leave and work somewhere else with less stress and less time at work to focus on trying to make a thing out of a gaming Youtube/Twitch thing. The other part of me says I have credit cards to pay off and that it is incredibly unlikely that I will find a job that pays so well and that I will also lose my benefits and health insurance.

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like eventually I am going to crash and just not go into work and then feel momentarily relieved that I do not have to go back there and then immediate regret that I made such a stupid decision. I had a call go pretty bad recently and I was sure I was going to get fired and part of me was terrified of losing my job and struggling and the other part of me knew I would feel relieved that the decision of whether I stay or go was no longer in my hands.

I would really appreciate any advice on this.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My advice is that no matter how well paid you feel you are (and I'll be honest and say that I don't think 30k is well paid), that you probably can get paid better for your skills so look around.

I'm in a career that isn't exactly my "dream job" or anything, but it's enjoyable and pays well, and is no where near as stressful as what you're describing. I don't get a $200 bonus on a check for performing well, but on the other hand my base pay is a lot more than yours, so that "bonus" sounds like a management trick anyway.

So yeah, you might not be looking at dream job territory right now, but you can still look around for jobs that need someone intelligent that's good on the phone, and yet the phone calls you'll take or make at some other job can be significantly less stressful.

Just don't leave your job until you've found a new one. Go on the job hunt now, keep the job you have, and try to keep your nose clean while you're searching. Use, "I want this job to look good on my resume for my new job" as the motivation not to skip work or do poorly on the job.

The other side of it is: whatever job is your *actual* dream job, having good soft skills will help. And taking/making horrible phone calls for a couple of years actually does help with that, believe it or not. (at least, that was what happened with me)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Stragint wrote: »
    How do people generally stay interested in a well paying job that does not fit the career they want to go into?

For a lot of people, I think it's about finding meaning in life outside of work. As much as corporate culture nowadays wants us to think of work as our home away from home, like it's our real lives and the time we spend at home is just recharging for work, sometimes work is just the shit you go through so you get to do the stuff you really enjoy, whether that is playing in a garage band or painting or playing video games.

I don't think that there's anything that could be said that would make the work-work stuff less sucky ( :bro: ), but what are you doing when you're not at work? Are you engaged in meaningful and fulfilling activities? Are you working towards something?

When you're at work, do you have friends? They don't have to be "real" friends, but having work-friends can make all the difference. Most of us go through years of schooling that we don't really enjoy and don't really give us any direction in life, and we manage that in part by having friends. A kid with no friends at school can tell you all about how important that can be.

I'd also suggest that you might want to talk to a professional about your inability to stop stressing about the stats. That sounds a little worrisome, if you think you should stop stressing about it, and your boss thinks you should stop stressing about it, and you're already the top performer at your office, but you still can't stop stressing about it. Leaving the job might alleviate that stress, but I'd be a little worried - without really knowing you at all, mind you - that that problem might just manifest itself at another job.

BTW, I'm not recommending that you stay at your current job. Just suggesting some possible ideas on how to make it work, if you so choose.

hippofant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I might start punching people at the bank tomorrow
    unless another kid walks in and goes "uhhhhhhh I left my ID and my debit card at home, how much cash can I get out?"
    then I'll just find a fire to walk into

wish me luck

Tam on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Was suppose to be off today. Worked all holiday weekend and had to miss family stuff because my shift mate requested the weekend, and the last 2 weekends, off and got them. Not a huge, I was going to have the actual Holiday and the day after off. Well today 2 hours before the shift starts my manager called in, she called off (hungover but she wouldn't tell him that...were facebook friends so I know the real score). So I had to go in. Unlike Weaver whos in a cool ass union. I work in Indiana, the state that loves to hate, so I did get holiday pay, but instead of paying me double, I get just time and a half and a free vacation day that...well the last time I tried to use vacation time it was a *thing* not an issue per say but the boss didn't like it. So I don't see myself getting to use said free vacation day.

Oh and when I went through the triple our normal amount of tickets I found the guy on Dayshift didn't call either of the only 2 that had hours today, and lied in multiple tickets about calling a 3rd party servicer and setting up service. And I've been asked to be on standby for tomorrow since shiftmate might call off again.

I hate being the responsible one.

So how'd that request to be considered for a better position go?

Happening tonight. My boss was off Friday-Monday for the holiday and I was off today, so I haven't seen him yet. Hopefully it goes well

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Speaking of apartments, these fucking apodments here in Seattle are listing themselves as 1-bedroom units which really fucks up searching for a new place.

Yes, technically they are 1 bedrooms.

They are only room for a bed.

We have a place by us that just opened up. Rent is fairly cheap out here, 1 bedroom for $600-$700 a two for $750-900. They want $1200 for a one bedroom. See its a luxury place with all the ammenities included...but none of them are built yet, just 2 of the 6 apartment buildings are. And we also have a place that rents to college kids (its right next to the university) by the room at $775 per furnished room. When hunting for places to stay they both list every single room as a seperate ad, so its pages and pages of them with maybe 1 or 2 other places peppered in. Its very annoying

Hey @oghulk , I hope you don't take offence to the fact that I wish to eat your heart so I may gain your powers.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Kudos to the guy I saw talking about religion in a way that wasn't horrifying or weirdly forced while I was ringing him up the other day. An elderly man with a cane who was almost bent over to 90 degrees asked me where to find a product, and I told him what aisle it was located in. He came back to the register and told me he needed it for a trip, that he was visiting family, and that they wanted him to come see them and wanted to make sure he was ok after his wife had passed. I told him that I was sorry to hear what had happened and he just told me that he was fine because he knew where she was, and was happy that she was there.

Almost all other interactions I've had in food and retail have either been really awkward, absolutely morally horrifying, or people arguing for tax exemption. While I am not a Christian, this one elderly man talking about how at peace he was with his wife's passing absolutely expressed his faith in such a positive light that it actually threw me off guard.

I'm not trying to take a dig at religion, but I so wish that he was more the standard than people arguing over their expired or incorrect tax exemption and people saying terrible things either in front of me or directly towards me.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My mom told me today (angrily of course, because she said it in a way to spite me) that she and my dad are going to sell the house in 2 years.

We totally can't afford to live in California if we don't live here, even my and Rachel's combined pay is too low to afford the $2400+/month rents around here.

I'm not really looking for advice, more just... Ugh, we have to move out of state.

@Moriveth I was looking at places around Sacramento a few years ago and there's a lot of really nice stuff in good areas. Like I was renting a place for 1050 that was huge and had 3 floors, a garage and a pool/gym. Not right for you of course, but there's probably stuff with a couple extra bedrooms for 15ish.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today is my one year anniversary of working at my current job. I have already seen more incredible things than I could ever have hoped, and I still can't quite believe that they asked me to stay. If you had told the me of four years ago that I would one day live and work with an amazing family of people and be paid to drive around in Africa looking for animals I would have laughed bitterly in your face.

Here's hoping I get to keep doing it for another 12 months.

2LwGJxQ.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Today is my one year anniversary of working at my current job. I have already seen more incredible things than I could ever have hoped, and I still can't quite believe that they asked me to stay. If you had told the me of four years ago that I would one day live and work with an amazing family of people and be paid to drive around in Africa looking for animals I would have laughed bitterly in your face.

2LwGJxQ.jpg

Kitty!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

2LwGJxQ.jpg

Every time I read one of your posts my brain classifies it as "Livin' the dream."

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Kudos to the guy I saw talking about religion in a way that wasn't horrifying or weirdly forced while I was ringing him up the other day. An elderly man with a cane who was almost bent over to 90 degrees asked me where to find a product, and I told him what aisle it was located in. He came back to the register and told me he needed it for a trip, that he was visiting family, and that they wanted him to come see them and wanted to make sure he was ok after his wife had passed. I told him that I was sorry to hear what had happened and he just told me that he was fine because he knew where she was, and was happy that she was there.

Almost all other interactions I've had in food and retail have either been really awkward, absolutely morally horrifying, or people arguing for tax exemption. While I am not a Christian, this one elderly man talking about how at peace he was with his wife's passing absolutely expressed his faith in such a positive light that it actually threw me off guard.

I'm not trying to take a dig at religion, but I so wish that he was more the standard than people arguing over their expired or incorrect tax exemption and people saying terrible things either in front of me or directly towards me.

As a Christian and a preacher's grandkid, this is the sort of Christian and person we wish and hope and pray to be. The little things eye do, unintentionally making people's days better. Sadly, this is because other people under our banner and in the world suck, but this guy didn't.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

2LwGJxQ.jpg

That picture totally looks like "Lady, stop following me, this is getting creepy".

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also for all your amusements I offer this video from my last trip to Kruger. Hyenas basically be furry terrorists.

https://youtu.be/XYDu7X5SCbU

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Reminds me of that video of the pitbull chewing off the front of the squad car while the police officer tries to drive away.

This discussion has been closed.