As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latin America Thread: Because North American politics are too dang tame.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Oh and in Brazil news, more corruption arrests coming down the pike.

At this point I wonder if there will be any Brazilian government officials higher than city councilor left to open the Olympics.

• Options
    Okay so I have mixed feelings about this article.

When I saw the Headline "Venezuela announces new plan to tackle food crisis"

I was going "Oh good"

That rapidly turned to worried and dismayed.

Why? Because of details like this
    Mr Torres said the government had purchased 115,000 tons of basic goods including rice, sugar, maize and beans.

He said this would be distributed using a network of 15,900 so called Local Supply and Production Committees (CLAP) established across the country to fight what President Maduro has called the "economic war" it says it is waging with the country's business elite and opposition groups.

The government has said the new system will distribute food "house by house" to thousands of families who will be expected to register for the system.

The opposition highlights my concerns
    The Venezuelan opposition have argued CLAP will only make the lack of basic goods worse since it will divert scarce food to the new system.

Last week the secretary general of the opposition coalition (MUD) Jesus Torrealba said the government was "trying to create an absolute monopoly on the distribution of food".
    He said the system could become "politicized" and the government was "blackmailing the people through their stomach".

But the government's CLAP director, Freddy Bernal said half of basic goods would be supplied to the private sector.
    There have been daily protests across the country over food shortages and incidents of looting.
    On Monday there were reports that a woman died after being hit by a stray bullet when police opened fire on looters trying to ransack a warehouse in the western city of San Cristobal.

Now the government says they won't be doing anything untoward with these food supplies, but I don't have a lot of faith in the current government. I can easily see this as a means of pressuring people to sit down, shut up and keep the Chavistas in power. I worry that if your name is on that recall petition you will mysteriously be on the end of the distribution list when it comes time for food.

@TryCatcher @RockinX your opinions?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can easily see this as a means of pressuring people to sit down, shut up and keep the Chavistas in power. I worry that if your name is on that recall petition you will mysteriously be on the end of the distribution list when it comes time for food.

Pretty much. Though the plan isn't merely deny food to the people that signed, is to make it so that if people want food, they have to sign a letter saying that their signature was used against their will on the recall referendum and join the chavista lawsuit against the opposition for identity usurpation. In other words, making the sinners self-flagellate for not supporting the revolution.

What that article doesn't say, is that anti-CLAP protests are getting very, very, VERY heated. Like, 2014 heated and rising. Couple of weeks ago there was a protest very close to the Presidential Palace, Miraflores. All the recent protest clips like these:
    CkY405mWYAQIpAr.jpg:large
    CkcFblNW0AA3_4d.jpg:large

"Clash between protesters and uniformed during protest for food in La California"
    Are about food. Specifically, are about protesting against the CLAPs. That's what I meant by "the chavistas trying to give full control of the scarce food supply to their apparatchiks". Is not about solving anything, is about staying in power at all costs.

EDIT: Discrimination for signing in the recall referendum has precedents on this government.
    The Tascón List is a list of millions of signatures of Venezuelans who petitioned in 2003 and 2004 for the recall of the President of Venezuela, Hugo Chávez, a petition which ultimately led to the Venezuelan recall referendum, 2004, in which the recall was defeated. The list, published online by National Assembly member Luis Tascón, is used by the Venezuelan government to discriminate against those who have signed against Chávez.
    The list made "sectarianism official" with Venezuelans who signed against Chávez being denied jobs, benefits, documents and were under the threat of harassment.[1] Once the list was posted, Chávez, on a Venezolana de Televisión broadcast, encouraged use of the website to "verify illicit use of national identity cards". Roger Capella, Minister of Health declared that "those who signed against President Chávez would be fired because they are committing an act of terrorism".[7] There was a public outcry, in particular by the organization Súmate, and because of reports that people who worked for the government were fired, denied work, or denied issuance of official documents because of their appearance on the list.[8][9] In July 2004, access to the database under management of Comando Maisanta was granted to members of the "Batallones Bolivarianos de Internet (BBI)" (Internet Bolivarian Battalions), which previously had to register on Tascón's website to gain access under the strict requisite that they had not signed the petition for the referendum.[10]

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I have nothing to add without repeating what has already been said. I myself was affected by that damn tascon list, even though someone signed for me without my knowledge. The years I wasted looking for a job without much results were suddenly explained when I realized that I was in said list.

It bans people from any job related to the government and most likely some that aren't related to it. I fucking hate this damn country.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Today the opposition went to the National Elections Council (CNE) to try to get the recall going, as part of the procedures. They managed to get there, but Secretary General of Justice First (PJ, Capriles's party) Julio Borges got his nose broken by chavista thugs. Again.
    CkhbPUNWEAAipEF.jpg
    LaWSErL.jpg
    Oh, and a news anchor defended himself from aggressors with a microphone to the face:

"Journalist that defended himself from chavista aggression: Congratulations for formating the face of your aggressor".

• Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

Even the webpage has been voided.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    emnmnme wrote: »

Take out the trailing colon in the address

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options

Take out the trailing colon in the address

Fixed it. Thanks!

• Options
    Lets update.

A Soldier guarding El Chapo was probably tortured for information and then killed. So its sounds like somebody wants to do a jailbreak.

Security does involve 300 soldiers. So that may be a tough jailbreak.

Or it could be completely unrelated.

• Options
    And my favorite story of the day.

Argentina ex-minister arrested over cash bags at monastery
    An ex-government minister in Argentina has been arrested after he was allegedly seen trying to hide millions of dollars in cash in a monastery.
    Officials said the police were called after nuns working at the religious community near Buenos Aires saw a man throw plastic bags over a wall.

Jose Lopez was the public works minister in the former government of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
    Judges have been investigating several former officials for money-laundering.

Mr Lopez was initially detained at the Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima religious community around 55km (35 miles) west of the capital Buenos Aires for illegal possession of a .22 calibre rifle.
    Police then discovered wads of cash in several currencies as well as watches in packages inside the bags.
    Local media say around $7m were found in dollars, yen, euros and other currencies.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    ...illegal possession of a .22 caliber rifle?

• Options
    So, Venezuelan news.

The President of the Assembly, Ramos Allup, managed to leave the country to speak on tomorrow's session of the OAS about the activation of the charter and Venezuela's situation so expect to hear a lot about that.

Meanwhile, as part of the arcane process to get the referendum going, now the 1% of the voters that went to sign to start the process have to validate their firms. Now those are huge lines. The voting centers are a mere 140-ish, so between that and the barricades set by chavista supporters, people have to get creative:

"Delta Amacuro* present today July 21 for the signature validation #RevocaloYa"

Meanwhile, the Venezuelan situation also has repercussions on Spain, given that, you know, a major political party has nexus with the chavista goverment. The NYT says:
    MADRID — Europe is facing a migration crisis, the threat of Islamic terrorism and the prospect that Britain will exit the European Union. But the big foreign policy issue before Spain’s national elections next Sunday? Venezuela, of course.

Candidates have visited Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, to grandstand. Spain’s governing conservative party has met in Madrid with opponents of Venezuela’s leftist government. There have been charges of a virtual Venezuelan infiltration of Spain’s politics.

The shadow cast by Venezuela has been so long that its president, Nicolás Maduro, recently invited Spain’s politicians to hold their election debate in Caracas “so that I can also participate, and perhaps I will win the elections in Spain.”

It may seem a little odd, given the host of problems facing Spain. But the reason is simple. After six months of political deadlock and inconclusive elections in December, the only sign of change before Spain’s election redo is the growing strength of Podemos, the far-left party whose leaders once served as advisers to the former government of Hugo Chávez in Venezuela.

The stronger Podemos looks, the more its opponents try to link the party to Venezuela, where the economy is collapsing and Mr. Maduro’s increasingly authoritarian government has declared a state of emergency. The message is meant to be scary and clear: Venezuela is a mess, and it can happen here.

“One of the four parties that is competing in the campaign in Spain was hosted and formed in Venezuela, so if they want to bring that model here, they have to explain why,” Albert Rivera, the leader of Ciudadanos, an emerging center-right party, told a group of foreign correspondents this month, shortly after returning from Venezuela. “It is Podemos which brought Venezuela to Spain, not us.”
    I'm very biased against anybody linked to the chavistas, but "It can't happen here" usually is because "we aren't sudacas**" aka racism, so there's that.

*A state.
    **A racial epithet.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, Venezuelan news.

The President of the Assembly, Ramos Allup, managed to leave the country to speak on tomorrow's session of the OAS about the activation of the charter and Venezuela's situation so expect to hear a lot about that.

Meanwhile, as part of the arcane process to get the referendum going, now the 1% of the voters that went to sign to start the process have to validate their firms. Now those are huge lines. The voting centers are a mere 140-ish, so between that and the barricades set by chavista supporters, people have to get creative:

Meanwhile, the Venezuelan situation also has repercussions on Spain, given that, you know, a major political party has nexus with the chavista goverment. The NYT says:
    MADRID — Europe is facing a migration crisis, the threat of Islamic terrorism and the prospect that Britain will exit the European Union. But the big foreign policy issue before Spain’s national elections next Sunday? Venezuela, of course.

Candidates have visited Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, to grandstand. Spain’s governing conservative party has met in Madrid with opponents of Venezuela’s leftist government. There have been charges of a virtual Venezuelan infiltration of Spain’s politics.

The shadow cast by Venezuela has been so long that its president, Nicolás Maduro, recently invited Spain’s politicians to hold their election debate in Caracas “so that I can also participate, and perhaps I will win the elections in Spain.”

It may seem a little odd, given the host of problems facing Spain. But the reason is simple. After six months of political deadlock and inconclusive elections in December, the only sign of change before Spain’s election redo is the growing strength of Podemos, the far-left party whose leaders once served as advisers to the former government of Hugo Chávez in Venezuela.

The stronger Podemos looks, the more its opponents try to link the party to Venezuela, where the economy is collapsing and Mr. Maduro’s increasingly authoritarian government has declared a state of emergency. The message is meant to be scary and clear: Venezuela is a mess, and it can happen here.

“One of the four parties that is competing in the campaign in Spain was hosted and formed in Venezuela, so if they want to bring that model here, they have to explain why,” Albert Rivera, the leader of Ciudadanos, an emerging center-right party, told a group of foreign correspondents this month, shortly after returning from Venezuela. “It is Podemos which brought Venezuela to Spain, not us.”
    I'm very biased against anybody linked to the chavistas, but "It can't happen here" usually is because "we aren't sudacas**" aka racism, so there's that.

*A state.
    **A racial epithet.

They are saying it CAN happen there(in spain). To argue otherwise would be quite the move since spain is only 40 years removed from autocratic government-Franco.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So, Venezuelan news.

*A state.
    **A racial epithet.

They are saying it CAN happen there(in spain). To argue otherwise would be quite the move since spain is only 40 years removed from autocratic government-Franco.

PODEMOS's supporters are saying the opposite. But it comes from the usual dregs from comments sections and social media. Yeah, yeah, should know better.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    So, Venezuelan news.

*A state.
    **A racial epithet.

PODEMOS's supporters are saying the opposite. But it comes from the usual dregs from comments sections and social media. Yeah, yeah, should know better.

The people who support podemos are fucking annoying. They claim Venezuela doesn't have any problem, and that the scarcity of basic goods is a lie by the media. No matter how much you argue with them, they'll try to deny it and tell us to "verify our sources."

The source is me. I'm living through this. I'm not sure what qualifies them to tell me that my country became a shithole because of terrible policies and decisions made by horrible people.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, in good Latin American political news, the Columbian government and FARC have announced a ceasefire:
    The Colombian government and the country’s largest rebel group said Wednesday that they had agreed to a cease-fire, clearing a major hurdle in the effort to end one of the world’s longest-running conflicts.

In a joint statement, the two sides said that they had overcome some of the most intractable parts of a peace deal, which they have been negotiating in Havana since 2012.

In addition to a cease-fire, the rebels — known as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or the FARC — agreed to lay down their arms.

The two sides said they would hold a ceremony in Havana on Thursday to mark the cease-fire, attended by Colombia’s president, Juan Manuel Santos, the FARC leader Rodrigo Londoño and other Latin American leaders. Negotiators hope a final peace deal will be reached in the days or weeks to come.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    the barricades set by chavista supporters

I still don't get what motivates these people. Are they terrified of losing social programs and the minimum wage or what?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    the barricades set by chavista supporters

I still don't get what motivates these people. Are they terrified of losing social programs and the minimum wage or what?

Part blind fanatism, part having a bullshit fascist job like "the guy that gets to deny food bags to their neighboors for not voting for the goverment", or "the guys paid to beat up opposition protesters", part being a corrupt bastard afraid of going to jail on a new goverment.

EDIT: And part knowing very well that the only solution to the crisis is an IMF bailout. With everything that implies. I personally made peace with it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
  • Options
    So, turns out that there was a lot of news about Venezuela on foreign papers,

First, how the presentation of Almagro's report on the OAS meeting went:
    The head of the OAS regional bloc, Luis Almagro, on Thursday blamed President Nicolas Maduro's government for Venezuela's crisis, saying the South American oil-rich nation was now mired in poverty, corruption and violence.

Addressing the permanent council of the 34-nation Organization of American States (OAS), Almagro argued that Maduro's government had violated basic democratic principles, which had altered the constitutional order of the country.

Despite strong opposition from Venezuela and allies like Ecuador and Bolivia, a majority of member states voted in favor of Almagro presenting his report on Venezuela to the council. The move technically invoked the organization's democratic charter, which could eventually lead to Venezuela's suspension.

But with little support for suspending Venezuela from the OAS, it is unclear when or whether the OAS could take up the matter again.
    You can read further, Almagro touched pretty much all the points of the Venezuelan crisis.
    Second, the following step for the recall referendum was done, despite the goverment:
    Opposition leaders in Venezuela said Friday they have finished the process of authenticating signatures on a petition to recall President Nicolas Maduro, and have enough to hold a referendum on removing him.

“The number of signatures has clearly exceeded the minimum needed,” said Vicente Bello, coordinator for the referendum effort.

Government election authorities now have 20 days to review and affirm that finding.

Opponents of the regime finished giving their fingerprints to electoral authorities earlier Friday, wrapping up a key stage in their drive for a referendum to remove Maduro.

Already used to queuing for hours to buy food in an economic crisis, this week they lined up at electoral offices for a sometime frustrating process.

Officials took their electronic fingerprints to authenticate signatures on a petition calling for a recall referendum. That is just one stage in a months-long bureaucratic procedure.

One voter in the northern city of Maracay, civil servant Felix Rodriguez, skipped work to come and give his signature.

He has no flour, milk or meat in his kitchen. His old truck is broken down and there are no spare parts available.

“Prices are going up every day, on top of the shortages,” he said. “Whether you have money or not, you’ve got problems.”

• Options
    Maduro considering asking Supreme Court to dissolve legislature
    Venezuela's government is considering asking the high court to dissolve the legislature controlled by President Nicolas Maduro's opponents who are seeking to remove him from office, a spokesman said Tuesday.
    Maduro's side "has started discussions to request a consultation with the constitutional chamber of the Supreme Court" with a view to achieving "the abolition of this National Assembly," ruling coalition spokesman Didalco Bolivar told a news conference.

Fuck

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Remember that's the Supreme Court he packed with his supporters after his party lost control of the legislature.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    They are tying the dissolution of the legislature to new elections. Considering the direction public opinion is going, I assume that means they are planning monumental voter fraud and/or keeping the legislature on ice until it is too late for the recall to prompt a new presidential election.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It feels like it was yesterday when some other forumer claimed with insistence that Venezuela didn't import its goods and that it was a "feudal" democracy, whatever that means. I forget if that was the same person who got offended when I suggested the 2013 elections were a fraud.

RockinX on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Are you sure? Was it some other forum? Because I don't remember anyone here being that delusional about Venezuela and doing a search for feudal democracy only turns up things about Japan and discussions on feudal (medieval) societies, past and fictional.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Are you sure? Was it some other forum? Because I don't remember anyone here being that delusional about Venezuela and doing a search for feudal democracy only turns up things about Japan and discussions on feudal (medieval) societies, past and fictional.

Yeah, he posted here when chavez died. It's incredibly hard to make me mad, but he managed to piss me off because he claimed that just because there were no reports on international news outlets, then it meant I was lying.

I've seen toothpaste written in Arabic. We also got toothpaste that was meant to be distributed in African nations. Antibacterial wipes come mostly from Turkey, and milk and chicken came from other Latin American countries.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Luckily, Didalco Bolivar is a nobody on chavismo trying to get attention. The goverment is interesting on keeping things "calm" so that the referendum doesn't happen this year (they are really failing at it). This idea runs against it, so I expect it to happen if the referendum happens this year and they lose.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Hey, Venezuela got a mention on the NA leaders's summit:
    OTTAWA (AFP) - US President Barack Obama on Wednesday issued a stern warning to Venezuela's government to not block "legitimate" efforts by the opposition to hold a referendum to recall the country's embattled president Nicolas Maduro.

"The democratic process should be respected," Obama said at a North American summit as he stood alongside Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.

"And that includes legitimate efforts to pursue a recall referendum consistent with Venezuelan law," Obama added.

• Options
  • Options
    And now with a temporary relaxation of the border control scheme Venezualans have been able to cross over to a more stable, prosperous country to buy supplies.

I am sure the Colombian shop owners were happy.

• Options
    So in Venezuela news, guess who has been put in charge of food distribution and port control.

You guessed it. The Army!

An institution with no reputation for corruption. Certainly not in Venezuela.

This line from the article is very bad news for Venezuela
    Meanwhile, Mr Maduro accused Citibank of mounting a "financial blockade" on the country, after the US bank decided to close the government's international payments account with it.

Citibank said the decision followed a "periodic risk management review", but did not explain further. It would be implemented within 30 days, it added.

Due to strict currency controls in place since 2003, the Venezuelan government relies on Citibank for foreign currency transactions.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Article from early June by Greenwald about just how bad the political situation is in Brazil.
    But perhaps nothing quite captures the dangerous farce that Brazilian elites are attempting to perpetrate like the fact that their chosen leader is now literally banned from running for the office into which he has been installed because he has been convicted of breaking the law.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Article from early June by Greenwald about just how bad the political situation is in Brazil.
    But perhaps nothing quite captures the dangerous farce that Brazilian elites are attempting to perpetrate like the fact that their chosen leader is now literally banned from running for the office into which he has been installed because he has been convicted of breaking the law.

My only criticism with his conclusion is the assumption that because the elites are corrupt, Rousseff must be innocent.

• Options
    Argentinian Nuns are being investigated for hiding misappropriated government funds.

Sadly not the plot of some kind of pirate novel.

Needs more pirates.

• Options
    So, for the past couple weeks, the Venezuelan government has been retaliating against government workers who signed the recall petition, firing long-time employees and denying them benefits.

It may be about to get much, much worse.
    The decree, officially published earlier this week, establishes that people working in public and private companies can be called upon to join state-sponsored organizations specialized in the production of food. They will be made to work in the new companies temporarily for a minimum of 60 days after which their “contracts” will be automatically renewed for an extra 60-day period or they will be allowed to go back to their original jobs.

It will be interesting (i.e. horrifying) to see how much the list of recall supporters and labor farm detainees overlap.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    So, for the past couple weeks, the Venezuelan government has been retaliating against government workers who signed the recall petition, firing long-time employees and denying them benefits.

It may be about to get much, much worse.
    The decree, officially published earlier this week, establishes that people working in public and private companies can be called upon to join state-sponsored organizations specialized in the production of food. They will be made to work in the new companies temporarily for a minimum of 60 days after which their “contracts” will be automatically renewed for an extra 60-day period or they will be allowed to go back to their original jobs.

It will be interesting (i.e. horrifying) to see how much the list of recall supporters and labor farm detainees overlap.

Can I take 100% for $1000 Alex?

• Options
    Okay.

So in Venezuela the recall petition is going forward. With as much delay and acrimony as possible.

Not kidding about the acrimony. Maduro is holding onto power, but with both hands and using every slimy trick he can come up with. Not much dignity left in that government.