As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Free match has the same problem. Apparently party mode is the one that works.

I want to like the game, I really do, but right now it just doesn't work online. When even Neversoft can get their shit together and get MK playable online there is no excuse for this.

Took a while for Neversoft to get their shit together.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Warner Brother had a lot of issues with PC ports.

Now they want to release Injustice 2 and have to take a second look at the engine.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Warner Brother had a lot of issues with PC ports.

Now they want to release Injustice 2 and have to take a second look at the engine.

I have high doubts many people are gonna trust NRS with PC ports any time soon after the mess that was MKX. Or they're super prepared to refund via Steam.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    w8m62dC.jpg

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Can I hate it cause it's not like 3rd Strike? Or even 4? But mostly 3rd Strike.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I say it a bit grudgingly, but the PC port of MK XL actually seems pretty good.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    For me, fighting games peaked with CVS2. Outside of Roll Cancelling and Sagat's c.FP, that game was damn near perfect.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    If CvS2 didn't have Bison, Sakura, Sagat, Blanka, or v-ism, it would still be a pretty great game. As it is, even without roll-cancelling it still ends up being one of the most defensive 2d fighters around because most of the top-tier characters just wait around till they can convert a jab into a v-ism combo that takes 45 seconds off the clock and all of your health, even if you're blocking.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    If CvS2 didn't have Bison, Sakura, Sagat, Blanka, or v-ism, it would still be a pretty great game. As it is, even without roll-cancelling it still ends up being one of the most defensive 2d fighters around because most of the top-tier characters just wait around till they can convert a jab into a v-ism combo that takes 45 seconds off the clock and all of your health, even if you're blocking.

True. No fighting game is perfect though and custom combos were always the most absurd and imbalanced thing ever added to fighting games. Glad they rarely exist these days.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I... I like custom combos...

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    SFA3 was ruined for me when I saw how broken Vism was.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    There's been a lot of broken street fighter things over the years. 3S Yun's Genei Jin anyone?

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Where's Urien?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Still got 5 days left. :rotate:

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Who'd have thought that a timed super with virtually unlimited links and frame cancels would have been horribly broken? I mean I get the idea, but the execution was really bad, especially given the opportunities to refine them over time. By the release of CVS2, Capcom should have gotten it right.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    stream
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Who'd have thought that a timed super with virtually unlimited links and frame cancels would have been horribly broken? I mean I get the idea, but the execution was really bad, especially given the opportunities to refine them over time. By the release of CVS2, Capcom should have gotten it right.

Part of what's funny is that CvS2's CC groove actually felt weak initially! It had numerous nerfs compared to the SFA series versions:
    - needs full meter to activate (SFA2 needed only one third of the gauge, SFA3 needed at least half of the gauge)
    - combo damage scaling was much harsher (first hit starts prorated to 72%, with each successive hit taking a further 8 percentage point hit)
    - no bonus mobility (SFA2 automatically rocketed you forwards towards the opponent, Genei-Jin made you move faster or flat out sped up some moves, like the palm strike)
    - and more (less?)!

Genei-Jin had a very short meter to fill, but it also came at the expense of Yun only getting a single EX move (in particular, he'd lose his invincible reversal). But other systems conspired to make it super great (whiffed normals building meter being one of the big ones). In spite of how BS Yun can seem with Genei-Jin, my likely Stockholm Syndrome with 3S prevents me from hating it too much. In particular, GJ had no practical high chip damage sequences (unlike TENGU STONE HOLY CRAP).

Funny enough, by the time of USF4, Genei-Jin was finally nerfed enough directly and indirectly to not dominate the game. Unfortunately, that just led to it never being used. During Kazunoko's ultimate victory, he never used it once in his final 3 matches.

On the other hand, parries got nerfed in CvS2 to a state where even though there exist very strong P-groove teams, parries are nowhere near dominating the game.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    even if they were good, it's hard to justify choosing parries in a game with just defence.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    well, the issue with genei jin in USF4 was red focus was more efficient damage than genei jin. genei jin was a good super before red focus made it redundant

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    even if they were good, it's hard to justify choosing parries in a game with just defence.

Parries actually had very real value! JD-ing in CvS2 does not have the guard cancel property that it did in MOTW (though it did have a funky blockstun modifier that SOMETIMES made safe moves punishable!), so against A-groove for the most part K-groove can at best mitigate the damage of a CC guard crush sequence. If you have an invulnerable reversal or a 0-frame super, you can punish a parried CC. If you're against, say, Sakura, she actually does more damage if she gets you to block the whole damn thing than if it just hit, so swinging for the fences is a legit strategy. A few characters can also strongly capitalize off of parries (P-Kyo was like the poster child for this).

Both parry and JD let you do the 1-frame early defense.

I think one of the big sources of value for successful JD was the rage meter, and having low jump as well as rage meter is probably one of the biggest arguments for picking K-groove in the first place.

Back to more recent and relevant games, I still haven't gotten Revelator, let alone KOF14.

How populated does KOF14 seem to be at the moment? What are wait times for matches like?

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    l_g wrote: »

Parries actually had very real value! JD-ing in CvS2 does not have the guard cancel property that it did in MOTW (though it did have a funky blockstun modifier that SOMETIMES made safe moves punishable!), so against A-groove for the most part K-groove can at best mitigate the damage of a CC guard crush sequence. If you have an invulnerable reversal or a 0-frame super, you can punish a parried CC. If you're against, say, Sakura, she actually does more damage if she gets you to block the whole damn thing than if it just hit, so swinging for the fences is a legit strategy. A few characters can also strongly capitalize off of parries (P-Kyo was like the poster child for this).

Both parry and JD let you do the 1-frame early defense.

I think one of the big sources of value for successful JD was the rage meter, and having low jump as well as rage meter is probably one of the biggest arguments for picking K-groove in the first place.

Back to more recent and relevant games, I still haven't gotten Revelator, let alone KOF14.

How populated does KOF14 seem to be at the moment? What are wait times for matches like?

Wait time has been tiny for me.

Played some ranked last night. 3/4 matches were unplayable.. the other was goddamn perfect.

Fingers firmly crossed for the patch.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    we have our "first tier list"

vertical placing is for overall strength, while the further to the left a character is, the more one-dimensional he or she is. You'll notice the ones on the right tend to be the more well-rounded types. They have fireballs, anti-air specials, mobility and spacing tools, etc. so they can cover all the bases.

stream
  • Options
    Psycho Ball
    Psycho Ball
    Psycho Ball

If only her voice was less annoying.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Using Robert and Dinosaur as my mains and they feel pretty solid, but yeah some characters in this game are just trash. The list doesn't surprise me much, especially with Chang at the bottom. I guess Ryo is so low due to lack of a real fireball? Also Xanadu should be top tier because of his giant fucking CREEP factor. Holy shit, that guy...

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Psycho Ball
    Psycho Ball
    Psycho Ball

If only her voice was less annoying.

I've gotten used to it over the decades of playing KoF.

That sounds so odd but yeah... KoF 94 came out over 20 years ago.

God... I'm gonna go take a nap.

• Options

3S is a silly game.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    3s is the best game.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    KOF XIII is the best game.

• Options
    As previously stated before, CVS2 is the best game.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    If i was forced to only play kof13, 3s and cvs2 for the rest of my life id be a happy man.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    We are missing a MvC representative. @Kinderparty

In the meantime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGWwKC374s

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    To be fair i would miss super turbo but would survive somehow.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    If i was forced to only play kof13, 3s and cvs2 for the rest of my life id be a happy man.

I'd need to add Garou to that list but otherwise yeah man, yeah.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I really wish i knew how to play garou.

And last blade 2 for that matter.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    As previously stated before, CVS2 is the best game.

Pepperidge Farms remembers when crossovers used six buttons.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Core-A's fighting game content is continually frustrating. It's nice and glossy, which must draw in the viewers, but it always dances around the point and half or more of the time it never even gets there. You don't make a video about what makes a move in a fighting game overpowered, give offhand shoutouts to a couple of examples in the first 20 seconds to set the topic up, and then never address it again. I guess it's an alright way to sneak frame data in through the back door, but he still doesn't discuss any "overpowered" moves, and misses out on other crucial points like invulnerability frames (which isn't really covered by mentioning hurtboxes), reaction times, and a dozen other properties that might cause a move to be much stronger (or weaker) than its frame data suggests.

Still, there are worse ways to waste 5 minutes.

stream
  • Options
    Core-A's fighting game content is continually frustrating. It's nice and glossy, which must draw in the viewers, but it always dances around the point and half or more of the time it never even gets there. You don't make a video about what makes a move in a fighting game overpowered, give offhand shoutouts to a couple of examples in the first 20 seconds to set the topic up, and then never address it again. I guess it's an alright way to sneak frame data in through the back door, but he still doesn't discuss any "overpowered" moves, and misses out on other crucial points like invulnerability frames (which isn't really covered by mentioning hurtboxes), reaction times, and a dozen other properties that might cause a move to be much stronger (or weaker) than its frame data suggests.

Still, there are worse ways to waste 5 minutes.

I was too busy remembering Final Fight, Streets of Rage. Golden Axe and Double Dragon that I forgot what the video was about.

• Options
    Revenge of Death Adder is the best fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEpuiJIOnMw

stream
  • Options
    3s is the best game.
    Sure, I'll take that as a fair opinion. It's still a silly game.

jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.