As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Brief news roundup. (With my patented "always negative about everything ever" editorializing free of charge.)

Sega renews Virtua Fighter trademark. Who knows. A mixed bag any way you look at it, but the climate is right for a company that actually supports their game competitively. And Sega does that, just not outside of Japan.

(Still waiting on the SC6 announcement.)

King of Fighters 14 breaks street date. SNK publicly acknowledges it, and just asks that players not give spoilers for the story mode. Good on then, I suppose. Early reports are that the netcode is the best yet.

Skullgirls community sends an "official" open letter to TOs telling them that they're ready and willing to travel if their games starts getting featured. With the current bad blood going on in the Smash scene, who knows? It's almost karmic when you consider that Skullgirls is the game Smash beat out in an online poll to get into EVO. Imagine how different things would be.

All's quiet on the Capcom front, though CPT still going on. Daigo announces that he's showing up a half dozen CPT events in the next little while to try and farm some points. Which he needs to do. He's pretty low on rankings right now.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    It is my general understanding that Smash Not Melee had the strongest attendance at evo?
    Skullgirls in it's place would have been disastrous, right?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Depends on who your potential disaster involves.

EVO (and other organizers, to a degree) are on record saying that they make their money now from sponsors and other things, and having Smash (or any other game) there or not won't make or break anything. Of course, the money is nice, but there are also a ton of problems that come along with it. I know at least one TO has threatened to just drop Smash games altogether.

On the other hand, the Melee community (Smash 4 wasn't a thing then) widely credits the FGC and EVO in particular with keeping their game alive and kick-starting their current scene. So I guess it could have been a disaster for them.

And who knows what would have happened to Skullgirls if they'd had the same chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K397iO-f4BE

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Page- I'm out of the loop on this subject, what happened with Smash? Was it about that harassment thing that happened during Evo?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's more about a series of incidents leading up to EVO, then the fallout from EVO, and a whole lot of nonsense from, naturally, Twitter.

A few major bullet points:
    • Smash players chanting and booing during the Guilty Gear finals at CEO. To the point where you could hear it on stream. According to less-biased sources, what actually happened is that Smash players just show up real early in order to keep their seats, which means they're a large part of the crowd but have to sit through a bunch of games they couldn't care less about. As they were getting restless, an MC got on the mic and started inciting the crowd. "Who's ready for Smash? Let's hear it." (Smash was the next game after Xrd ended.) That sort of thing. But even if they weren't chanting "Smash, smash, smash!" during another game's grand finals with any sort of malice, that's still what people heard. And, of course, people from both sides jumped on Twitter to blow it up.
    • Smash community has a lot of special rules and ideas that clash with regular FGC practices. Prime examples are that they run best of 5s at Smash-only tournaments. As Smash is already on the slower side, this takes a lot of time. Whenever they go to a FGC event, they have to run best of 3s, and they (not everyone, but, you know, people on Twitter) complain about it. See it as a slight against the game and the community. They also have a very different culture about their top players, and have openly discussed letting them skip right through pools to get seeded directly into top 8 or 16 or 32 or whatever. Or talked about how it's rude or just verboten to challenge or try to play against a top player at a casual station. Twitter, complaining, etc.
    • This applies almost exclusively to Smash 4 (which, it should also be noted, is almost a separate community from Melee at this point). Before, during, and especially after EVO a lot of well known (and less well known) players and community members talked openly and often about how they weren't getting the respect they deserved, and how the FGC should be happy they show up at all (and maybe it's time they didn't--using this as a threat). It comes across as a really bad Rodney Dangerfield routine, but since it's people of note saying it on Twitter, it gets the headlines.
    • FGC responds with general "We didn't want you there anyway" attitude. There are even articles written. Smash players respond in kind. Lot's of complaining about floor space at EVO, numbers of setups, TOs claiming they couldn't get Smash players to stop playing casuals, Smash consistently runs late, which delays other games. Smash 4 finals played on Saturday instead of getting the prime-time Sunday slot. Hour-long youtube rants and Twitter diatribes about how they're so hard done by. (Again, most of this comes from the Smash 4 community, not Melee.)
    • And a fair number of top Smash players are pretty weird, even by FGC standards, so that draws extra attention. Incidents like Mew2King getting catfished and crying on stream (on top of some other, even weirder rumours), or the alleged sexual assault at EVO (this goes way beyond an ass-pat caught on camera), fights, and levels of salt you haven't seen since the heydays of MVC2. Except back then it was grown men, and now it's "Smash kids." (It's a much younger demographic in general.) Not really Smash related, but kids breaking down in tears during Pokken tournaments. All sorts of things. And, I mean, before Smash showed up, everyone complained about anime players. It is what it is.
    • And underlying it all is a general and almost wilful level of casual ignorance from Smash players about fighting games that bleeds into how they talk about things and rubs people the wrong way with their "Smash is the best and deepest and most complicated and most technical and most difficult and unique game of all time" rhetoric.

I don't want to get too deep into specifics here, if only for the sake of sanity, but you should be able to google anything easily enough. Otherwise, I'll try to provide links upon request.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I got into following the whole fighting game scene with SF4 but then got hooked on the new Smash to the point that it's my favorite fighting game. The scene for the two communities is so vastly different and sometimes the smash scene is just weird.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Wow...it's ok. Damn. Well...that's a lot of digest in a short amount of time.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Someone must have told Daigo how far down he was in the rankings, because he really showed up at the Well Played Cup. Some nice games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTzdN9CFNk

And he got the demon off his back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaUw_3hDQ-s

He's now finally top 32 on the CPT leaderboard.

stream
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Urien hype is gonna start soon.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited August 2016
    the plot thickens as "official" new Soulcalibur concept art appears.

sophie, nightmare, natsu, kilik, and a new stage.

(Passion Republic is a company that does officially commissioned artwork for game devs, including Mortal Kombat X, the Arkham games, Dark Souls, etc.)

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I actually spotted that SF vs GI Joe comic at my local shop, peered at a few issues. It seemed pretty bad, but there was one good moment.

They underestimate Dan, who then starts kicking everyone's ass out of nowhere!
    Because it was Zartan in disguise.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    more like fartan

nah, i like zartan he's got that great black metal face paint around the eyes

looking like abbath and shit

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

I love his catchphrase more than I thought I would

"Urien trouble now!"

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    the plot thickens as "official" new Soulcalibur concept art appears.

sophie, nightmare, natsu, kilik, and a new stage.

(Passion Republic is a company that does officially commissioned artwork for game devs, including Mortal Kombat X, the Arkham games, Dark Souls, etc.)

Isn't GAF saying it's fake?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I don't know about GAF, but Soulcalibur community members got into direct contact with Passion Republic and were told that the art is purely for "internal efforts and portfolio creation." So that's that. (Unless it's all a smoke screen!!)

I could have waited up for the results, but I had to sleep. At 3am it's enough to know that they did official artwork for both Namco and other fighting games.

stream
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm impressed that Skullgirls is still able to keep hustling for some unfathomable reason.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    skullgirls is really well made and is a good game and they care a lot about the players
    in the alternate universe where they went with different art at launch and idk maybe the community rallied around it more it would be a popular game combining mvc2 / anime fans

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I thought they made a digital card game.

EDIT: Man, Tekken7's music is catchy.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    skullgirls is really well made and is a good game and they care a lot about the players
    in the alternate universe where they went with different art at launch and idk maybe the community rallied around it more it would be a popular game combining mvc2 / anime fans

Yeah, sure, I really like the game as well.

But I would've never thought Lab Zero will still be able to truck along with it for as long as it has, you know?

• Options
    stream
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7FfnUDAX4

I have never played much Tekken in my life save for a few times in the arcade. But I usally picked Violet/Lee.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Thankfully NetherRealm's Harlely actually looks like Harley.

Because their Wonder Woman looks like John Cena crossplaying as Wonder Woman.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I think they are not that bad. But they need improve the photography when they do trailers.

The first trailer with Supergirl(?) started in what I think was a bar with poor placement of light sources. Add that the engine is not complete.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    In case anyone enjoys how fight-games are made, the next work stream's tomorrow.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The Smash community and the FGC have always been like oil and water, so it's not shocking to see these culture clashes popping up.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Thankfully NetherRealm's Harlely actually looks like Harley.

Because their Wonder Woman looks like John Cena crossplaying as Wonder Woman.

Huh... she looks normal to me. Leagues better than she did in the first one, anyway.

Edit: And I just remembered that I need NR to go ahead and confirm that Raven will be returning for Injustice 2. She was my second favorite character to play after Harley.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    stream
  • Options
    Hellpockets review of KoF XIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8v1v7AK9s

"KoF is like Street Fighter V... " then something about a steak. Couldn't hear it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    i guess this is the first pc gameplay for tekken 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZMU4wRCcNA

still no release date.

stream
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I've never actually played a KoF game, but King is one of my favorite fighting game character designs ever. She's just looks ... classy.

• Options
    King is super badass. Everyone agrees.

stream
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I've never actually played a KoF game, but King is one of my favorite fighting game character designs ever. She's just looks ... classy.

Too bad her shirt gets ripped open sometimes when she gets knocked out. Can't believe they're still doing that.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Not sure I'm feeling Alice on the Women's Team. She's like a mix of Team Fatal Fury with her moves, like Shingo x3 in one character.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    If Kyo can have a fanboy, why can't Terry have a fangirl?

That King shirt rip is always going to be a callback to Art of Fighting where everyone thought she was a man. It's the Yuri one that seems egregious. I've always liked King's design, too, and put her a little behind Vanessa for the KOF series.

stream
  • Options
    King is super badass. Everyone agrees.

She has a double fireball!

There is something about French tomboys (which Elisabeth also fits into). A refreshing counterpart to Mai's "kunoichi tactics".

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Too bad her shirt gets ripped open sometimes when she gets knocked out. Can't believe they're still doing that.

That's disappointing.

I'd love for an SNK vs Street Fighter game where I could have a team of King and Dudley. Team Too Classy for You.

• Options
    If Kyo can have a fanboy, why can't Terry have a fangirl?

That King shirt rip is always going to be a callback to Art of Fighting where everyone thought she was a man. It's the Yuri one that seems egregious. I've always liked King's design, too, and put her a little behind Vanessa for the KOF series.

Blonde Sakura!

She is supposed to be a disciple of Kim, right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

This discussion has been closed.