As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    nevermind, think i ammistaken

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm trying to get back to playing fighting games now that I live in not Alaska so it's been a pretty long while since I've touched them. I'm trying to play Street Fighter 5 online using Ryu cause I'm basically a 0 day scrub again so back to learning fundamentals but this game just seems bad. It's like everything comes out in one frame but is mostly safe so once you get pressured it's GG. It seems like you have to be hyper aggressive or you get blown up and that is really not my style. Like, I used to enjoy playing Sagat and while I wasn't great I could at least manage and not feel helpless. In SF5 I'm just like :lolwelp:

I'm about at my limits with the game, I'm pretty fed up with how much it's dominated by spamming a bunch of safe stuff until somebody makes the wrong call. Depending on the character, you may have nothing beyond pure luck to get away from somebody pressuring you, or it may be super-easy because that character was lucky enough to get a great wakeup move.

Hadn't played since a bit after the season 2 patch dropped and I played again today, and I'm just not finding any fun in the game at all. I feel like it's just really, really tedious, because all anybody is looking to do is to stay back at the perfect range for them to pop in with an easy hit-confirmed combo. And until that point, both players are just standing away from each other, throwing out long pokes or projectiles to try and get lucky.

Plus, been playing a fair bit of Overwatch lately, and it's just a whole different ballgame when the dev involved has a very active and ongoing interest in improving balance and the game experience, instead of just trying to do stuff that makes people more likely to buy characters and costumes. With SF5, there likely won't be any balance changes for something like a year, as opposed to Overwatch where bad balance moves can get corrected within days. Much more enjoyable to play something where the devs actually gives a shit instead of a dev which has a years-old business model built around doing the bare minimum to keep people playing.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I personally love playing Fang as he's pretty damn unique as far as SF characters go, but he has a very high skill ceiling and a high barrier of entry (many people put him in Dhalsim in the same boat of "most difficult").

That said, I'm trash with him.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I don't think KI is going to be for me unfortunately. I am having a lot of difficulty playing with a controller. It seems like everyone uses a stick for it based on the world cup, and I may look into one eventually. Still a lot of fun to watch though.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I don't think KI is going to be for me unfortunately. I am having a lot of difficulty playing with a controller. It seems like everyone uses a stick for it based on the world cup, and I may look into one eventually. Still a lot of fun to watch though.

You absolutely don't need stick to play it, but I find it makes the Light -> Medium -> Heavy system of counters and such a little easier to map in my brain.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Byron, Guile's boss, modded into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkgcW40n4lU

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

You absolutely don't need stick to play it, but I find it makes the Light -> Medium -> Heavy system of counters and such a little easier to map in my brain.

Fightpads also work pretty well I find, though the PC version killed the functionality for older fight pads and sticks a couple months back now and the devs won't comment on it, so not sure what options there are for them.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »

Fightpads also work pretty well I find, though the PC version killed the functionality for older fight pads and sticks a couple months back now and the devs won't comment on it, so not sure what options there are for them.

Really? I thought I had used my gen 1 SFIV fightpad on it a while back, but I'll have to test to make sure I'm remembering correctly.

• Options
    Damn, they are taking too long between sets.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options

Ill have to give it another try. It just feels really awkward to try and get heavy punch, and similar to what you're saying I sometimes have to take that split second to think about where medium kick is and it screws things up.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm trying to get back to playing fighting games now that I live in not Alaska so it's been a pretty long while since I've touched them. I'm trying to play Street Fighter 5 online using Ryu cause I'm basically a 0 day scrub again so back to learning fundamentals but this game just seems bad. It's like everything comes out in one frame but is mostly safe so once you get pressured it's GG. It seems like you have to be hyper aggressive or you get blown up and that is really not my style. Like, I used to enjoy playing Sagat and while I wasn't great I could at least manage and not feel helpless. In SF5 I'm just like :lolwelp:

I'm pretty fed up with how much it's dominated by spamming a bunch of safe stuff until somebody makes the wrong call.

is there a fighting game that isnt this?

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

Ill have to give it another try. It just feels really awkward to try and get heavy punch, and similar to what you're saying I sometimes have to take that split second to think about where medium kick is and it screws things up.

Lots of people use gamepads at pro level in fighting games, like Smug or Fanatiq. On the other hand, sorting things out in your brain works differently for different controllers. My wife just couldn't mesh with the arcade stick, but she made a 100% improvement within half an hour of trying out the hitbox.

Have you tried going to locals and seeing if there are arcade sticks you can try out? I had some community controllers set aside when I was running events in MN.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

Really? I thought I had used my gen 1 SFIV fightpad on it a while back, but I'll have to test to make sure I'm remembering correctly.

Started with the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Mine stopped working then and from what I can gather on the forums, it's a problem for a lot of people. There has been no official comment on it and it's been ongoing for a couple months.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options

Lots of people use gamepads at pro level in fighting games, like Smug or Fanatiq. On the other hand, sorting things out in your brain works differently for different controllers. My wife just couldn't mesh with the arcade stick, but she made a 100% improvement within half an hour of trying out the hitbox.

Have you tried going to locals and seeing if there are arcade sticks you can try out? I had some community controllers set aside when I was running events in MN.

honestly i'd have no idea where to begin (like actually looking for people). i'd definitely rather play MK, but i doubt there's a scene for it. i'm sure there's something but short of googling events i don't really know.

• Options

honestly i'd have no idea where to begin (like actually looking for people). i'd definitely rather play MK, but i doubt there's a scene for it. i'm sure there's something but short of googling events i don't really know.

It seems like everybody is coordinating this stuff on FB these days. Like MNFGC or DMV FGC

• Options

It seems like everybody is coordinating this stuff on FB these days. Like MNFGC or DMV FGC

That'd be why I don't know where to start, don't have a Facebook account :P may have to break down and make one since a number of other games I play are using it to coordinate too

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    as far as I can tell all of the local FGC action takes place on facebook. that's how I started finding locals

• Options

That'd be why I don't know where to start, don't have a Facebook account :P may have to break down and make one since a number of other games I play are using it to coordinate too

Yeah, I made a point of avoiding FB, but people just aren't doing this stuff on SRK or meetup.com anymore.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

I'm pretty fed up with how much it's dominated by spamming a bunch of safe stuff until somebody makes the wrong call.

virtua fighter is not like this at all.

nothing is safe in vf.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ketherial wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »

virtua fighter is not like this at all.

nothing is safe in vf.

I mean, aside from the jabs. Jabs are the tip of the spear that allows you to pry open your enemy's defense.

Disclaimer: I didn't really play VF5FS, because everybody I knew kinda fell off the wagon by then.

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I got the RL2460 monitor they were advertising on stream. Any settings I need to mess with on the monitor or my PS4 once I hook it up to get that 1 ms lag?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQF20kFuAI&t=0s

Shin Hisako unlocked early. She is an interesting character. Instead of a dash she has a short teleport forward that leaves her in the air. Lacks all of Hisako's defensive counter attack/grudge skills but can do some tricks with her ghost spirit ball. Love the intro and the outro for the character.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Okay, I've been a bit out of it the last few days, so let's do some catch-up.

First, steam got its latest anime import with the ASW-published Chaos Code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdiKh0abV8

This is a remastered release of the arcade and PS3 game. It's also on PS4. There is no cross-play.

Somewhat like Arcana Heart and later Melty games, Chaos Code gets off on adding extra meta options in the form of pre-match special move selections and groove-like movement dash mechanics. It has your doujin staples--air dashes (of a sort), bursts, limited RCs, various types of supers, guard breaks, etc. It also has an SNK-style roll mechanic.

Of course, as with all doujin fighters, you want to hit up mizuumi for all the nitty-gritty details.

There was a big SF5 tournament at SXSW this weekend. Lot's of NA drama and blow-ups. Good times.

Capcom has started talking more about MvC:I. This is older news, though it's only just now hitting the main news sites, but a rep used the dreaded "simplified" word when referring to MvC:I's gameplay and mechanics. Considering that MvC3 is already referred to by some people as "baby's first air-dash fighter," and that people are people, there was some consternation over that remark.

In other indie news, Trejas Fatais, the Portugees fighting game, finally made a funding goal after failing at least one other time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwhvc71Bvsg

Punch Planit is also continually showing off new footage and recently announced a new character, which is a dog. No playable model yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSuNLCkfBk

Namco has barked more details about Tekken 7's DLC. Besides the new cosmetics and mode in the season pass, they've confirmed 2 more characters. They've also said that they're going to take a page out of their Soulcalibur playbook and add more guest characters from other franchises, like they have with Akuma. No other details yet.

Uh, I think that's it for now?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Harada is gonna put a Gundam in Tekken.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Harada is gonna put a Gundam in Tekken.

It'll either be a full-sized Gundam or just its hand as it lays on it's side. Shrinking it down would be silly.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Poongko's Kolin vs Xian's Ibuki from a recent tournament:

Winners
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x468kAXOHWI

Grand Final
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLRnrLQX18

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    All I've heard about MvC:I is that it's going to be "simple". What ever that means.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    That guy on the right looks like Kratos. Is that Drax in the comics? I thought he was green.

If this game has a focus on the Disney/Marvel movies, I expect Black Widow and Loki to show up. Widow being opposite to Chun and Loki occupying a Doom/Strange/Dormammu spot.

Hoping for an old-school Thunderbolt. Just started reading the comic.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that's drax, and drax is green, it's just a substantially paler green in comparison to the radioactive hulk

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Come on rock... nothing beats rock..

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
  • Options
    Come on rock... nothing beats rock..

Paper.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    If the new leak is true then it is indeed Rock. Oda is feeling pissed. And I'm kinda sad.

Also no Blue Mary cause they didn't want to Fatal Fury KoF too much. So here's Yamazaki and Geese Howard's goddamn son!

This discussion has been closed.