As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
[This OP is a WIP]

There is a PA Fighting Games Discord server right here if you want to find other people to hang with.

Imagine you want to prove who is the best, but the last time you got into a fist fight you hurt your precious knuckles. Should that stop you? This is the 21st Century, for God's sake. Of course it shouldn't stop you.

Fighting games are a reflection of society. Of our core values. They're about a single person making it on his or her own. It's about our right to call someone out with a "1v1 me, scrub" and expect a result. This is what sets us above the animals.

That, and soup. You can't beat a good soup.

So You've Been Challenged to a Duel

It's bound to happen eventually, no matter how careful you are. I once unknowingly ordered the last chicken biryani at my local Indian place and had to play a ft10 against some middle-aged guy who just wanted to feed his family. I don't even blame him for throwing the gauntlet. It's something we'd all do. But that doesn't mean you back down, even when those kids start to pout up and sniffle as you walk away with your order.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" their sad cow eyes ask.

"Teach your father how to block a cross-up," you might say. Or you're feeling kind, so you lean in close and whisper a hint about that new setup you've been working on in training mode.

Better luck next time.

But maybe you're not at that point yet. Maybe this is your first duel. Well, if you're the one on the receiving end of the challenge, you get to choose the game. That's only fair. So maybe that's what you're interested in.

Choose Your Weapon

Fighting games are quite varied these days. Or as varied as you can get with two players controlling a single character at a time while they try to knock each other out. Still, variety is variety, and you should know what you're getting into.

What's hot at the moment? What's going to be hot soon? Let's take a look.

Ultra Street Fighter 5: Turbo Singleplayer Edition

Released early in 2016 to universal acclaim, Street Fighter 5 is notable for having the most active meme community in fighting games at the moment. Unfortunately, it's still early in the game's life, so most relevant memes are based on the early top-tier favourite, Rashid's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5Ny1r7p8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYFfMNXd3g

tumblr_o5c7ocRNK11qm5kn7o1_500.jpg

What else does SF5 have to offer? Endless drama. Fighting over "secret" discord "tech," players begging for sponsorship, "USA is free." It's all there, all the time.

Other relevant facts:

Platforms: PS4, PC (on Steam), with crossplay between them.

Roster:

maxresdefault.jpg

DLC:

maxresdefault.jpg

The 2016 DLC characters are, in order: Alex, Guile, Boxer/Balrog, Ibuki, Juri, and Urien.

Want to learn more? Visit the SRK forum, where they have constant discussion about SF5, with in-depth subforums for each character. You can also look on Twitch for your favourite players to see if they're streaming. Daigo, Snake Eyez, and many other stream regularly.

Aside from schedules tournaments in the West, and whatever Daigo is doing with his cosplay stuff--

4F35VaL.jpg

--there's also now an official Street Fighter Crash in Korea, with a few top-tier Japanese players on the Team Razer, and English commentary. Not good English commentary, but it's still English commentary.

You're probably better off just listening to the Korean commentators go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIz12sXXesw

Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-

guilty-gear-xrd-revelator-09-14-15-1.jpg

(That's right, it's JAM TIME.)

Does THAT MAN have you down? Don't fret, because there's a new Guilty Gear on the market. And it's so pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytOQKsoZeLw

The new expansion, -REVELATOR- is on its way. It brings with it more characters (brand new and returning), new story content, new online lobbies and options, and an all-new training mode with a tonne of interactive tutorials. Plus balance changes.

Currently in arcade location testing, -REVELATOR- is looking like the goofiest GG game yet. There are regular videos coming out from Japanese arcades of their top players going at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7mUpf_YeDE

Want to know more? Check out dustloop, the English forum for all things GG related, or just their handy wiki.

The King of Fighters XIV

The story of King of Fighters is a story of death and rebirth. King of Fighters XIV is deja vu for fans, as it marks the second resurrection of the franchise after it became relegated to pachinko hell.

In 2000, with arcades on the decline, SNK died its first death, filing for bankruptcy. A Korean company, Eolith, bought them out, and produced King of Fighters 2000 and 2001, which are generally considered the worst entries in the entire series by fans. After those disasters, things looked dire, but hope appeared. Reforming as a new company, Playmore, former SNK people got the money together to buy back their IPs. And that's how we got SNK-Playmore. As an apology to the fans, they released King of Fighters 2002, a Dream Match game like 98, which brought back old characters and systems. It's generally considered in the top 2 or 3 games in the franchise.

But the new company meant they had to slow down production a bit, so 2002's follow-up, 2003, was the final yearly release in the series. The next game was King of Fighters XI, which included a dynamic tag-team system for the first time, and began a new story line. King of Fighters XII followed years layer, with completely redrawn HD sprites. The work involved meant it had the smallest roster in the entire series, at 20 characters +2 for the console release, but they kept working and got XIII done. A very pretty game, it finished off the Ash saga started in 2003, but also looked like it would be the final King of Fighters. Again. Because SNK-Playmore was going the way of SNK, and they were back to making pachinko machines.

Yet it wouldn't die, and now we get King of Fighters XIV. After starting from scratch, SNK devs finally relented with the time-consuming and expensive sprite work.
In an interview with Fighters Front Line, Kukino replies that each character took 16~17 months to complete with a team of 10 different designers. Additionally, the sprites were personally checked by Nona for quality.

It wasn't sustainable even when they had all their old workers on the job. If they wanted XIV to actually turn a profit and keep the series going, they had to switch to 3D.

The first trailers were pretty bad, but things have gotten better over time. Plus, they're going ganbusters with a 50-character roster that includes plenty of favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeB-4s1Cho4

kofxiv-leak.jpg

If you want to learn more about King of Fighters, you can try Dreamcancel, the English hub for competitive play. Or watch the handy Dandy J tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g

Tekken 7

Believe it or not, Tekken 7 is in development. And it's got Akuma now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5nxtsmZW2s

Following up on the mediocre reception of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Namco once again wants to break into the West, this time with a strategic and popular guest character from Capcom. In standard ridiculous Tekken fashion, Akuma isn't merely a token addition to the roster, but is actually a key part of Tekken 7's story.

While Capcom decided to completely skip arcade testing for the first time ever with Street Fighter 5 and go straight for the full-priced early-access beta release, Tekken 7 is keeping it old school. Tekken 7: Fatal Retribution is still in arcade location testing (beta), so only Japanese and Korean players have access to it. You can find videos if you want to look. When will the console release come out? Who knows. Not before EVO, though.

Speaking of which (and not forgetting TekkenZaibatsu):

Mortal Kombat

As far as I'm concerned, this is all you need to know about Mortal Kombat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j-jAzzsV-s

Injustice 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0WA6yIZ7I

Just in time to make Mortal Kombat X obsolete, NRS has announced Injustice 2. And they're having the common decency to not even bother with a PC release this time.

Also continuing the NRS ethos of listening to their competitive community, two of the first things announced about the game are an aggressive pre-order and DLC policy, and a microtransaction-heavy custom gear and loot system.

In Injustice 2, players can put on different armour pieces with bonus effects. Extra health, extra damage, damage reduction, faster resource gains, that sort of thing. Players earn new gear pieces via random drops after matches. What could be better for a competitive game than grinding random matches in the hopes of sucking out on a viable piece of rare loot? You might say something like "better netcode," but this is NRS.

At least the story mode might be fun, if you're down with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRp__ZB0Zg

What if I'm the type who likes to watch?

A good question. And we don't judge.

With the Capcom Pro Tour in full swing, there are always Street Fighter 5 tournaments to watch. Local weeklies and ranbats get streamed, top Japanese players are showing their online play, and there are a solid string of majors leading up to EVO in July.

And EVO is what everyone cares about, right? And you don't even have to wait for the DVD anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cq3EsO0ZY

evo-2016-games-lineup.png

This year's tournament is breaking entry records across the board. And, yes, that's 3 different Nintendo games. Why? Because Mr. Wizard really likes fat wads of cash his Wii U.

Yes, "we sports now." etc.

While EVO is quickly becoming nothing more than a marketing tool (A Tekken 7 tournament on the main stage while 90% of the world has never played the game? Check.), that doesn't mean it's not full of hype. Expect some surprise announcements, too.

Will update with stream schedules and whatever once they're available.

What Else is There?

There's always more. Even while KOF XIV is in gestation, SNK has been sniping Capcom's Street Fighter staff in preparation for a renewed push on the market. Talks of more Samurai Shodown, possibly even more Mark of the Wolves, and--dare to dream--maybe even Last Blade? (That last one is just me hoping, but the others are real.)

As well, it's now only a matter of when, not if, for the announcement of the next Soulcalibur game. However, with Tekken 7 still lacking a console release date, I wouldn't start holding my breath until that's done and dusted. Still, some time in 2016 isn't a bad bet for at least a trailer.

There's more Mortal Kombat X stuff as well, but, frankly, after how they half-assed MK9, and their utter disdain for the PC customers with MKX, I find it hard to care about that series anymore.

Killer Instinct is going strong . . . ish. With a decent tutorial, and soon a full Windows 10 release, as well as a Halo guest character and a prime spot at EVO, it's honestly not the worst alternative right now.

There's Blazblue stuff going on, always new anime games, Skullgirls 2nd Encore got its Steam release, and it's Japanese release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPLkoy3LaBw

There's UNIEL and Dengeki Bunko, P4 Arena and Melty Blood, there's bound to be more Arcana Heart, and, of course Vanguard Princess and Yatagarasu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6cR5lMFLyM

Chances are, no matter what flavour you prefer, there's a fighting game out there for you.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    West Coast Warzone SFV finals right now:

EDIT: I want a good soup. Too much fast food lately. :D

Red Bull Kumite next week!

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

While EVO is quickly becoming nothing more than a marketing tool (A Tekken 7 tournament on the main stage while 90% of the world has never played the game? Check.), that doesn't mean it's not full of hype. Expect some surprise announcements, too.

I think it's been this way for some years now, like since Street Fighter IV I'd guess. They stopped having tournaments for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (they had HD remix a couple times) and that was a mainstay for a looooong time. Man, love that game. No fighting game will ever top that for me. Not a perfect game by any means, but a perfect example of simple to play, difficult to master.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNXjaKZnU8E

It was always about favouritism before (Soulcalibur anyone? That first attempt at Smash?), and of course Capcom got the lion's share because SRK is a Capcom site. It's been a slow roll, but money is definitely what it's about now. Getting rid of Super Turbo is one thing--and they're still running side tourneys for that stuff--but stuff like SF x T, Tekken 7 getting on the main stage twice (!!) in a row, despite still not having a console release date, Pokken Tournament, etc.

Once Capcom and Namco realized they could get what they wanted if they just threw a little money around, everyone else has followed suit.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Just can't get enough Dengeki Bunko Ignition. It's just a shame that that japanese PSN uses the ole "you have to buy x funbux" and the new character you want is, of course, x-5 funbux.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

BTW, Momochi and Tatarian better watch out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMHI2ecoZms

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Gully hype

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Slick OP

I'm surrounded by SFV hate from my casual gaming friends and I just don't get it. I've had tons of fun with V already

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    People playing Telephone with the Steam reviews?

"I'm kinda pissed because this release is really buggy and feature-light."
    becomes, "I heard V is really buggy and feature-light."
    becomes, "I heard V sucks."
    becomes "V sucks lol you haven't heard?"

Even though gameplay and balance are super tight, the launch roster is one of the best ever, and the engine is fast, well optimized, gorgeous.

Sokpuppet on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    The main talking points were "feels glacial in pace", and thinks the launch was a botched everything, with side dashes of "DLC get outta my wallet RAARGH" and "oh god what happened to Ken's face"

Most of the people taking about pace and DLC play GG & Blazblue, so...yea. I'm not gonna argue the launch could have been smoother, and they have a point with Ken, but time debating them is time not fighting in streets so.

may as well add the leaked roster.

kofxiv-leak.jpg?w=768

stream
    Woo! Another lady from Brazil.

A question for KoF people. Is Tizoc considered mexican?

His name is Griffon Mask in Japan as far as I know.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Xrd is getting Jam, I hope you're all happy. I hope Dizzy comes back fully clothed to spite her fans.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2016
    Farangu wrote: »
    The main talking points were "feels glacial in pace", and thinks the launch was a botched everything, with side dashes of "DLC get outta my wallet RAARGH" and "oh god what happened to Ken's face"

Most of the people taking about pace and DLC play GG & Blazblue, so...yea. I'm not gonna argue the launch could have been smoother, and they have a point with Ken, but time debating them is time not fighting in streets so.

Show them grand finals from WCW 5.
    This is a very fast game once you become familiar with it. I would say it is somewhat faster than Blazblue and comparable to the recent iterations of Gear Gear. You get two bad guesses and then you're dead, and there are no bursts or faultless guard to buy you time.

Cantido wrote: »
    Xrd is getting Jam, I hope you're all happy. I hope Dizzy comes back fully clothed to spite her fans.

Jam is cool.
    I'd be happy with Dizzy fully clothed.
    This is Japan we're talking about though.

Still need my Zappa & Baiken...

Sokpuppet on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Woo! Another lady from Brazil.

A question for KoF people. Is Tizoc considered mexican?

His name is Griffon Mask in Japan as far as I know.

Unclear. He hails from the "pro wrestling circuit."

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I will fight you about how good Tag 2 was

I fight poorly, but still

I will fight you

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »

Show them grand finals from WCW 5.
    This is a very fast game once you become familiar with it. I would say it is somewhat faster than Blazblue and comparable to the recent iterations of Gear Gear. You get two bad guesses and then you're dead, and there are no bursts or faultless guard to buy you time.

Cantido wrote: »

Jam is cool.
    I'd be happy with Dizzy fully clothed.
    This is Japan we're talking about though.

Still need my Zappa & Baiken...

I'd rather have Dr. Paradigm. Overture was shit, but story wise, it pulled GG out of the quagmire that was XX.

XX's story can be summarized as bounty hunters and every other character telling each other "get out of my way." Overture put the bounty hunters and assassins' ahem, "stories" to a close to focus more on the Gears. This is why I don't want to see the likes of Bridget and Jam again. They contribute nothing to the story but "get out of my way." If Jam has to come back I hope they give her personality traits other than "I want to fuck Ky and make all these fuckers get out of my way."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Great song.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    The stage is amazing. Love the throw back!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

If you're not, you should be subscribed to the a-cho channels. They're always uploading classy competitive and tournament matches from all kinds of non-Capcom fighting games, classic old-school fighting games, doujins, stuff you've never heard of. And non-fighting games, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5S9ZYu-Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdzxP6dIMWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtH9ehaR3hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PeQcUsTAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMRBDtF-IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0NnlllKXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOpKox8Mjq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIFgsg4C15U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWOs8hQ5EU

stream
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Page- wrote: »
    If you're not, you should be subscribed to the a-cho channels. They're always uploading classy competitive and tournament matches from all kinds of non-Capcom fighting games, classic old-school fighting games, doujins, stuff you've never heard of.
    speaking of, melty blood got its steam release. i bought it and i have no idea what's going on and it's gr8

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Oh man, Last Blade 2 and I'm about to lose my PS4. Ah well. That was easily one of my favorite of the SNK games.

Last blade 2 is so fun.

Characters I hate:

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    LB2 a great neogeo game.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    You make it sound like SNK's 3rd Strike.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

You make it sound like SNK's 3rd Strike.

Thats motw

Characters I hate:

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    LB2 is SNK's Rival Schools. A great series that only made it to its second game before a cruel and uncaring universe let it die.

Well, emulation and low hardware sales.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I guess that makes this : D Day?

: V Day next Sunday?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

relevant mk info.

Last Blade 2 is a very pretty game.

All I've been hearing about MB's steam release is that the netcode is garbage compared to the fan-translated emulators that everyone's been using for years already. Maybe they can improve it.

stream
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    stream
    edited April 2016
    Kim could do that in Fatal Fury in a gif I saw recently.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I know that SNK would die if they made every character. But I miss tons of characters.

It was a normal part of the old FF games. Kind of like how VF had crouch dashing.

Competitive matches with the newest BB character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJaN3zv7ks

stream
This discussion has been closed.