As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The movie was that bad?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    The movie was that bad?

Depends on what you're looking for.

It was like an extended opening cutscene for a game.

Which is exactly what I was expecting so it was enjoyable in that regard.

If you're looking for something more than that (not sure why) then it won't meet expectations.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The movie was that bad?

If you're looking for something more than that (not sure why) then it won't meet expectations.

Because most people don't expect a feature-length film to be like an extended opening cutscene of a video game. When SE says "we're making a Final Fantasy movie!" you think most people were thinking, "awesome! an extended opening cutscene for the game!"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The movie was that bad?

Because most people don't expect a feature-length film to be like an extended opening cutscene of a video game. When SE says "we're making a Final Fantasy movie!" you think most people were thinking, "awesome! an extended opening cutscene for the game!"

I've seen Advent Children, Spirits Within, and Final Fantasy Unlimited. My expectations are quite low.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The movie was that bad?

Advent Children was also a feature length film. A game based movie with a limited release used to promote the game and based on past track record... I dunno it's not hard to get some ideas on what you're getting there. Apply some logic and your expectations should be easy to set.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    My expectations were appropriate. It wasn't as good as Advent Children or Spirits Within. I didn't expect it to be good, but I was hoping for decent action, at least. It didn't even manage that. The direction, cinematography, and editing were so bad, I have to question whether or not the people involved have seen a movie before.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    My expectations were appropriate. It wasn't as good as Advent Children or Spirits Within. I didn't expect it to be good, but I was hoping for decent action, at least. It didn't even manage that. The direction, cinematography, and editing were so bad, I have to question whether or not the people involved have seen a movie before.

I actually preferred it over Advent Children.

I haven't seen Spirits Within in so many years that it would be unfair for me to compare those.

I agree some of the action cuts were annoying but I've seen worse in much bigger films (the Bond movies for example) so it seems easier to fuck that up than it should be. And the action was never hard to follow imo there wasn't a single point where I said "wait what just happened there" so it worked out.

It was fun. Got me hyped. Set the tone. Hit the notes I was expecting. Glad I watched it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I actually really enjoyed the action bits. The teleporting by throwing daggers at things and then tossing it again after teleporting to "fly" continuously was super cool. Plus almost all of the character design and art was incredibly visually pleasing.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The movie was that bad?

Some of the actors were atrocious, and the ones that were good couldn't even make the best of the terrible script.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Kingsglaive was a fun teaser, but it should have stayed as that instead of an overly expensive and dragged out film. It didn't use its length to flesh out the setting or any of its principle characters, instead keeping things intentionally vague as if to flash a big sign that says "Play Final Fantasy XV!"

By comparison, the Persona 5 Daybreakers short followed the same sentiment, but only spent half an hour and a quarter of the budget to do so.

It really should have been a playable prologue chapter.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I want to say, by comparison, that Brotherhood's last episode aired recently, and that whole series has been reasonably good as a tie in.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I want to say, by comparison, that Brotherhood's last episode aired recently, and that whole series has been reasonably good as a tie in.

That's good to hear. I wanted to wait until it was finished so I could watch it in one go, but after Kingsglaive I've been a bit reluctant to start it up.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »

That's good to hear. I wanted to wait until it was finished so I could watch it in one go, but after Kingsglaive I've been a bit reluctant to start it up.

Yea it's p cool.

Assuming you like anime. If you are it's real good at helping you understand each of the bros.

• Options
    Kingsglaive was a fun teaser, but it should have stayed as that instead of an overly expensive and dragged out film. It didn't use its length to flesh out the setting or any of its principle characters, instead keeping things intentionally vague as if to flash a big sign that says "Play Final Fantasy XV!"

By comparison, the Persona 5 Daybreakers short followed the same sentiment, but only spent half an hour and a quarter of the budget to do so.

It really should have been a playable prologue chapter.

I would disagree with the Daybreakers thing. It was very different as what happened there has no direct relation with the game. Kingsglaive was a prequel. Daybreakers was set from after the game starts but telling a story that doesn't actually exist in the game and therefore not actually part of the story at all.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I was really surprised when I realized Obi Wan from Clone Wars was the same guy who did Tidus.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    What?!

• Options
    I love how he threw in the "get over yourselves that's how it was supposed to sound"

Because I seriously don't get how that scene confuses people so much. I feel like getting confused there requires not fully understanding human interaction which I guess would explain a fair amount of the people posting "CRINGE-Y" on the internet..

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I was really surprised when I realized Obi Wan from Clone Wars was the same guy who did Tidus.

The guy's a fantastic voice actor.

Most of the FFX complaints are about direction, not talent.

• Options
    I love how he threw in the "get over yourselves that's how it was supposed to sound"

Because I seriously don't get how that scene confuses people so much. I feel like getting confused there requires not fully understanding human interaction which I guess would explain a fair amount of the people posting "CRINGE-Y" on the internet..

There are still people who think "Flower Girl" means something else entirely. And let's not even get started on the naming scheme of the character herself.

It's small wonder so many people are skeptical over FFXV with all the changes it's implementing. The fanbase seems to be one of the more particularly stubborn groups out there, even if what they believe is 100% incorrect.

• Options
    My only complaint with the FFXV names is with the Stella to Luna change they completely fucked up the FFVI Opera reference that the two leads' names were a nice Easter Egg illusion and reference to.

Not to mention that Darkness and Starlight is also the best The Black Mates song.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Fun fact: That "horrible VA" that did Yuna? Also did Rosie in Valkyria Chronicles. And Agrias in FFT PSP, though given the limited amount of VA in that game, I doubt most people remember that role.

FFX had some veteran talent all around.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Forget Obi-wan, James Arnold Taylor's Ratchet.

But yeah, the problem with Square's early attempts at VA was definitely the direction. I always assumed they learnt a lot working with Disney on Kingdom Hearts because all their games seemed much improved from then on.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    They had to match lip flaps for FFX. For KH, they changed the animations to match. FFX didn't just have a direction problem, it had a budget/pipeline problem. But I thought the direction wasn't bad, really.

• Options
    Always wondered what happened with Alex Fernandez (Seymour) as he was pretty active in the game/anime scene at the time, but hadn't heard from him since.

Holy crap, turned out he's been doing stuff like True Detective since. Dude's very much active.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Gonna admit, for some reason I always thought the voice of Tidus was Billy West. That may just be because of DiMaggio as Wakka and I always associate the two.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

I legit didn't know Tidus' voice actor did Obi Wan until just now. That's crazy.

• Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/22/final-fantasy-xv-shares-another-look-ice-queen-shiva/

Weird, Shiva's design is getting an alteration in the Chinese version. I wonder if they'll do something similar with Cindy?

• Options
    That's some blue boob paint right there.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Zero Suit Shiva?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ugh, that's... not really aesthetically appealing at all.

Though I guess when the Chinese censors get involved this late in the game you have limited options.

Not that said censors make any damn sense at all. They also have some absurd hate for undead skeletons, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    while having her tits hanging basically all the way out is eye roll-y, the neon blue spandex is kind of a hilarious way of "fixing" that.

• Options
    Well, I finished FF13!

All in all, it was not the fiery train wreck I expected. It is however, the core of a good game smooshed into more than a few baffling design decisions.

First, it's pretty clear that graphics were the focus of this game to the detriment of nearly everything else. The core combat, I admit, did grow on me. And around chapter 7 or so is when things really started to click. Here's the thing, for all of the detailed tutorial you started the game with, it still did a terrible job telling you vital information on almost every new skill you received. There really needed to be a battle school or something that let you practice against different enemy types. And in general, I still disliked the "battle arena" style of combat. Yes, it's nice being able to approach each fight as it's own separate thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine a player shouldn't be thrashed from perfectly fine to death without being given some chance to formulate a counter plan. And God those Eidolon fights were garbage, each and every one of them.

I've already said I ended up liking most of the cast, Lightning included. Was it JRP-Cheesy? Oh yes it was. But there were enough nice moments with Sazh, Lightning, Snow and Hope to make me overlook Team Australia. Fang gets my ire for going lone wolf twice and nearly getting everyone killed. Vanille for just being Vanille. What can I say? It's an instinctual gut reaction.

The villains were all insane or made of cardboard, and I have nothing interesting to say about them. Glasses girl getting wreck like a chump was hilarious though.

The world itself felt absolutely hollow. I feel with a different approach, or a more focused designed, it wouldn't have been as bad as it was. They needed to lean harder into "they are hounded fugitives," but crazy, disjointed first few chapters, and its insistence on its own weird lingo wrecked all chance of that.

Machinegun's new FF rankings from best to worst:

FF7
    FF8
    FF10
    FF6
    FF4
    FF9
    FF5
    FF13
    FF1
    FF2
    FF3
    FF12

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    12 being at the bottom of your list is just totally baffling to me. I mean, different strokes and all, but I can't fathom preferring the NES titles over anything else in the series, much less 12.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Now that you've played 13, you need to play 13-2. It fixes nearly all of the problems with 13 while telling a much more entertaining story. Also, you can have chocobos in your party, and that's the best.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    12 made a lot of "screw the player" decisions so I could see that. I personally liked it all the way up until the final optional boss. I, however, detest 8 for its magic game mechanic and 10 as well because it just did not jive with me in any way. So ya, whatever you feel like I suppose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hrmf, do not care for that Shiva design. The face is too normal, she looks caring and empathetic. Shiva usually strikes me as imperious and cruel.

Also the clothes are silly. At that point, it'd be less weird for her to actually be naked...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Now that you've played 13, you need to play 13-2. It fixes nearly all of the problems with 13 while telling a much more entertaining story.

Opinions and all, but I find it truly baffling whenever anyone says this.

Noel and Serah serve as little more than exposition dumps: the majority of cutscenes is the two of them talking about time paradoxes and nodding along to everything, as if suddenly Serah was an expert at the concept. You could replace them with any other two characters and it wouldn't change much.

Coming from a company that once brought one of the greatest time travel stories of all time, there's nothing at all entertaining about FFXIII-2's mess of a story.

But even that ends up as high quality writing next to Lightning Returns. It's almost impressive how they manage to get even stupider from there.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I liked 2 more cause it had less to dislike. The story was silly, but it didn't feel like it was trying to be more Serious and Important than it really was, like XIII.

Also Caius was one of the better villains, what with having a coherent motive.

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.