As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    with a warrior in the group ninja isn't weird at all. it's just keep up your two dots, armor crush once every 30 seconds or so, and throw in a trick attack when it's up and trick attack isn't busywork because I love doing that attack. great sound effect, lots of damage

but any request for simplification usually gets stonewalled by certain groups of players. I've commented about how managing a bunch of buffs ruins my immersion with the game and gotten responses that people wouldn't care if they were fighting a white cube

Yeah, the one thing I really don't like about a lot of DPS' reliance on keeping up short buff/debuff timers is how it kinda forces me to stare at my status bar

When what I'd actually rather do is take in the fight

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    unless they simplified fire/ice 4 BLM is hell and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

I'd recommend it over Dragoon.

In all other FF games, BLM is always my first choice, followed very closely by DRG.

This is a big part of why I let my FF14 account lapse.

I let it lapse because I got bored running the same two dungeons over and over again (actually only one dungeon fucking Neverreap) and grinding FATEs to level.

But yeah I was massively disappointed with Dragoon and its insanity. You would think that a long global cooldown would lend itself to timing better but that's not how it worked out in the end. Hell I mained DW Frost DK in WoW and while that's also CLICK ALL THE BUTTONS I'm not likely to do something to fuck me with one mistake. Whereas Dragoon I can do a ton of things to neuter my damage or outright kill me (I love jumping straight into a lethal hazard that wasn't there before).

To give an example of the "basic" opening rotation at 60 for DRG: H -> [BL+BFB] -> ID -> [DRAC-POT] -> DI -> [IR + BOTD] -> CT -> [PS+ LEGS] -> 4TH -> [GK] -> P -> [JUMP] -> TT -> [DFD] -> VP -> [LIFES] -> FT -> [SPD] -> 4TH -> Repeat

The "basic" rotation after that one: HT - ID - DI - [BOTD] - CT - 4TH - [GK] - PH - TT - VP - FT - 4TH

HT - ID - DI - CT - 4TH - [GK] - PH - TT - VP - FT - 4TH

HT - ID - DI - CT - 4TH - [GK] - PH - TT - VP - [BOTD] - FT - 4TH - [GK]

HT - ID - DI - CT - 4TH - PH - TT - VP - FT - 4TH - [GK]

HT - ID - DI - CT - 4TH - PH - TT - VP - FT - 4TH - [GK] -> Repeat

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Ehhh. Once your rotation contains off gcds i kinda shrug.

Drg at 60 is just, put up heavy thrust, do disembowel combo, put up phlebotomize, do full thrust combo. Repeat.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Tales of Xillia (PS3) - Good cast, good combat system, good story. The zone design feels a bit sparse in some areas. Play Jude's story perspective first. Milla's story perspective is more of an exploration of "what the other guys were doing" and not an equal telling of the main story.
    How important is the bolded bit? I'm very interested in playing this (and its sequel), but I don't see myself playing through it more than once (hard to do for any PS3 game nowadays), and I definitely would prefer to play with Milla as the main character. If that would seriously damage the experience then I'd probably pull this one off my list.

Think of Milla's story as optional New Game + content or as interesting side-story DLC material. It is something I wished had been done by Tales of Vesperia where you could play through the game from the perspective of Flinn and his group of knights. Most of the content is the same, but there are a few differences at points in the story. The reason you want to play Jude's story is there is a section you will be completely lost where Jude gets several hours of content while Milla's stuff is about 1 hour of content and comes back in after some very major plot developments that are never explained directly in her story.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Speaking of JRPGs that require proper use of buffs and debuffs, I've just gotten to chapter 13 in FF13. Should I continue through the dungeon ahead of me or should I go back and do the quests that have opened up since I was last in the questing area?

Interestingly enough with the discussion on Tales games, Xillia and Xillia 2 do a great job of making buffs and debuffs actually relevant in a JRPG game. They aren't essential, but they can have a noticeable effect.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If MCH didn't have the ammo system it'd be pretty great. But it does and the ammo system is the worst.

Make MCH just have a normal 1-2-3 combo instead of the 50% chance stuff, get rid of quick reload, and make normal reload into a DPS cool down. Maybe cut that "do a critical once a minute" skill.

Bam, way more user friendly.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I never played Milla's story in ToX and it's still one of my favorite JRPGs in years.

I should probably go back sometime and do another playthrough, man I loved those two games.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    how bad is BRD rotation?

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Speaking of JRPGs that require proper use of buffs and debuffs, I've just gotten to chapter 13 in FF13. Should I continue through the dungeon ahead of me or should I go back and do the quests that have opened up since I was last in the questing area?
    Either is fine. Much of that content can be cleared now but a bunch is intended for post game (final chrystarium unlock requires beating the ch13 boss). You will have a chance at the end to go back if you want, though most of ch13 is one chance only (most of the dungeon will vanish when you reach the end).
    Tales of Xillia (PS3) - Good cast, good combat system, good story. The zone design feels a bit sparse in some areas. Play Jude's story perspective first. Milla's story perspective is more of an exploration of "what the other guys were doing" and not an equal telling of the main story.
    How important is the bolded bit? I'm very interested in playing this (and its sequel), but I don't see myself playing through it more than once (hard to do for any PS3 game nowadays), and I definitely would prefer to play with Milla as the main character. If that would seriously damage the experience then I'd probably pull this one off my list.

Think of Milla's story as optional New Game + content or as interesting side-story DLC material. It is something I wished had been done by Tales of Vesperia where you could play through the game from the perspective of Flinn and his group of knights. Most of the content is the same, but there are a few differences at points in the story. The reason you want to play Jude's story is there is a section you will be completely lost where Jude gets several hours of content while Milla's stuff is about 1 hour of content and comes back in after some very major plot developments that are never explained directly in her story.
    That's a shame. Guess I'm skipping this one :/

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    If MCH didn't have the ammo system it'd be pretty great. But it does and the ammo system is the worst.

Make MCH just have a normal 1-2-3 combo instead of the 50% chance stuff, get rid of quick reload, and make normal reload into a DPS cool down. Maybe cut that "do a critical once a minute" skill.

Bam, way more user friendly.

I was super excited for MCH before it came out

I was even fine with the ammo mechanic and how Wildfire is critical to your DPS

But the random chance on your basic combo chain killed it for me

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Those early MCH days of leveling my Paladin and having 2/3 DPS be MCH who would use Blank every time it's off CD, knocking the enemy I'm trying to tank away.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Either is fine. Much of that content can be cleared now but a bunch is intended for post game (final chrystarium unlock requires beating the ch13 boss). You will have a chance at the end to go back if you want, though most of ch13 is one chance only (most of the dungeon will vanish when you reach the end).

That's a shame. Guess I'm skipping this one :/

In case I am misleading you, for most of the story you can control Milla in combat and have her as the party lead. There are a few occasions where she leaves the party for plot-related things, but for about 90% of the story she is in the party and playable.

Xillia 2 is much worse for allowing you to choose one character and play with them unless you choose Ludger. This makes sense narratively for the story they are telling, but a slightly different narrative could have been written. Ludger is completely and utterly broken, which is a real shame since all of the other characters are really well designed and balanced. There is also a simple way the designers could have added the mechanics for Ludger to the rest of the cast.

If you enjoy traditional Tales combat systems both games are near the top of the pile for how enjoyable they are. Xillia 1 is good, Xillia 2 is very very smooth and enjoyable.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Those early MCH days of leveling my Paladin and having 2/3 DPS be MCH who would use Blank every time it's off CD, knocking the enemy I'm trying to tank away.

I did a turn 9 group recently for the story. We kept wiping on the meteor golems until someone pointed out that the white mage kept on using Fluid Aura whenever the golem he was supposed to be tanking got too close....

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    how bad is BRD rotation?

easy, problem with bard is their damage centers around bloodletter cooldown resetting so you have to make a big ol bloodletter button and park it in the center of your screen and watch that every second of the fight for when it resets

• Options

I did a turn 9 group recently for the story. We kept wiping on the meteor golems until someone pointed out that the white mage kept on using Fluid Aura whenever the golem he was supposed to be tanking got too close....

How can a WHM that got to T9 be that dumb

How

I learned that shit after my first dungeon

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

It's kinda important. Both sides have some exclusive content, but I would say the stuff you get in Jude's path is more important.

That being said, either way you go, they are both the protagonist. The choice just means there are certain parts of the story you will experience through a different perspective. But outside of some brief parts here and there, you can play as either character and they share the protagonist role for like 95 percent of the game.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

How can a WHM that got to T9 be that dumb

How

I learned that shit after my first dungeon

NEVER not use knockbacks for incredibly small damage gains in dungeons

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    For reasons, Millia is separated from the rest of the party for a 10ish hour stretch near the middle of the game.

And some real important shit happens to Jude and crew during that part.

That's kind of the number 1 reason you should do Jude first.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    also guys mhach is so much fun now that people are semi-competent at it. I only wish I could skip the first boss because fuck she has a ton of health. Ozma and Bad Hairday are a ton of fun

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Okay I see. Thanks!

Edit - wow 4 bucks, ok, I'll bite

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Not too long ago I wanted to try and level up a Ninja in FF14.

After spending wayyyy too long waiting in low level dungeon queues I decided it was not a great idea especially since I'd have to do it all again for the DPS cross class skills.

I guess I'll just have to stick to tanking if I come back because waiting 40+ min on a highly populated server to do low level dungeon runs sucks buttttssssss.

That said the siren call of the new relic weapons has been hitting me. SO many single player games coming out this year though hrmm...

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Dungeon queues are bad but as a DPS with a chocobo I've been able to gain a level while waiting in queue. Doing leves and fates sub 50. So basically two levels every hour? Something like that. (40ish for queue, 30ish for the dungeon itself)

That is if I couldn't bug a friend to just run tank or healer for instant queues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've mainly just switched over to grinding out hand/land while waiting on the DPS leveling queue.

But yeah, such an awful timer as DPS. Then I get pops for main story instantly since I queue SCH though so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yo.

A TON of Tales of games are on sale on PSN.

Which ones do I need?

If you like Tales games, of the ones available and on sale, I would recommend the following:

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3) - The Xillia cast is good. The new character doesn't work all that well in the way they present him, but the combat system is very good.
    Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) - Older game style, but it is popular with a lot of people. The story is reportedly quite good.

Tales of Graces F. (PS3) A different version of the combat system, but some find it quite fun. The characters themselves approach the "so bad they are good" threshold. Features one of the dumbest protagonists in JRPGs. The post-game future arc is written by a different team and does a decent job at salvaging something from the main game arc.

Thanks!

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    This has to be the most acronyms I've ever seen related to RPGs that I have just no idea what anyone is talking about.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    This has to be the most acronyms I've ever seen related to RPGs that I have just no idea what anyone is talking about.

Mostly not acronyms. Abbreviations for class/job in XIV.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Moth 13 on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Been playing Chrono Trigger DS here and there for the past few weeks. Just got the Epoch and did the forest sidequest, which was a great combination of moments that were hopeful, hilarious, sad, relaxing, stressful, and satisfying. New favorite part is
    watching Robo alternate between tilling the land, broadcasting seeds, and acting as scarecrow.

I've never played much further than this part of the game, and I've never done this sidequest before. I'm becoming more and more a fan.

Finally finished Chrono Trigger this morning. Took me 27ish hours since I did all the sidequests. It was a great ride, and it was fun to see the actual events and characters after having absorbed so much of Chrono Trigger through forums, music, and other references over the years.

I did use a guide for the latter half of the game and especially on the sidequests and extras like the pendant chests because I wanted to get the most out of this one playthrough. I normally wouldn't, but I'm not planning to play again any time soon.

I found it interesting how free and sometimes undirected some of the side quests were, and how many times you're required to jump through time in order to complete them. Fiona, Lucca, Marle, and Frog's quests especially. It was a cool change of pace and method from the main story.

As far as characters/stories/themes, I really liked Lucca, Frog, and Robo's stories. There's not much I can add regarding Lavos as the axle of the entire story, it's incredibly effective and iconic at this point. It does boil down to a disaster/save the world deal, which, without the time travel story and the threat of Lavos himself, could come across as generic.

I was especially interested in Zeal/Schala/Magus. The surprise reveal of 12,000 BC/Antiquity and the associated visuals and music are striking. And knowing what I know from having played Chrono Cross, I paid special attention to these moments.

I guess the central theme is the conflicting concepts of hope vs inevitable doom, which didn't particularly grab me. But as I said earlier, I did like some of the individual character stories. I'm not saying that anything was done badly, I'm just pointing out the stuff that resonated with me.

The combat is tried and true and satisfying, and I had fun mixing and matching party members to reveal dual and triple techs. Except for Magus. No dual or triple techs from him. Dude is a loner through and through.

And the music and visuals held up and were even impressive at times, mostly the large scale scenes regarding Lavos, Zeal, and the Black Omen, etc. They pulled off those scenes of destruction rather convincingly.

So I'll add my voice to the chorus that calls Chrono Trigger a great game.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Magus does have a couple Triple Techs, but they're dependent on having one of your party members wear a specific Accessory that unlocks it. And by the time you get him, it's more effective to just give him a Gold Stud and have him spam Dark Matter. Magus being the odd man out in the Tech system is my only real complaint with it. I'm such a sucker for the trope of old foes putting aside their differences to face a bigger threat, that I've never been able to bring myself to fight him instead of recruiting him.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Hey now, Magus had a couple triple techs.

You just needed some shiny rocks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just stuck with Crono, Robo, and Ayla for the most part

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I remember using Slurp Kiss a lot, since it was great cheap healing.

• Options
    Super pro secret CT strat is to give all your Magic Tabs to Robo

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Speaking of TMS "censorship" http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-team-talks-atlus-localiza/1100-6441341/

In particular:
    Gamespot wrote:
    A portion of the Western audience that appreciates Japanese games become very upset when any content in a game is altered during the localization process, regardless of how big or small the detail may be. When adapting a game for Western markets, does that affect how you go about designing some elements? Or do you ever feel like you have to strip away things that are central to the game's identity or purpose, just to make it a viable product outside of Japan?
    Each country has its unique culture and taste. There are times when common sense in one country can be thoughtlessness in another. However, if we create a game with only that common sense that causes no problems in any of the countries, it can be a very boring game.
    From among the various complex tastes of people worldwide, the developer selects settings and characters that appeal to as many people as possible. That being said, it is true that as we build up the settings and characters, we are sometimes obliged to change something in part of the game. This optimization does not destroy the identity of what we as developers want to convey. Developers would not accept such drastic changes. The changes made during localization are optimizations intended to bring to as many customers as possible the things that we want to convey. No major changes are made that would change what we want to convey.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Man, good thing they addressed that, now all the whiny pissbabies can stop misusing the term censorship.
    K6oMm.gif

• Options
    I kind of wish people would stop misusing the term.

Because linguistically, academically and by simple definition people here abuse it all the time.

Censorship doesn't require government intervention or whatever weird Tumblr definition is popular this week. A publisher can censor an author, journalists or anything in their purview. Distributors can censor works. Etc.

Unless you're literally working for the ALA the definition of censorship people bandy around these parts is as self proclaimed as those... uh, 'pissbabies' and equally nebulous and right/wrong based entirely on the company it's used in.

If you are working for the ALA then the definition only actually considers works being submitted or removed from a library.

And furthermore from purely a linguistic point language means what it means, regardless of what obscure meaning you can dig up in regards to some hyper specific use.

It's the same reason a lot of common words from back in the day can't be used anymore, in fact, because common usage overrides any original definition.

This is completely unrelated to the TMS talk itself because I have no idea what did or did not change in that game, since I basically just bought it blind because the art looked rad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Removing anime tits is not censorship. However you want to define it in the end, censorship is a terrible, terrible thing. Less ani-boobs is not terrible at all. Removing cultural idiosyncrasies DOES suck (like replacing "spanner" with "wrench" but is still not censorship.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Considering all the gross anime junk Atlus does let slip though, I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for people who hold on to the scraps of their waifu bikinis

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Super Mario RPG is a JRPG

Super Mario RPG hits the Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow finally

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Everyone buy it because it's the greatest game ever made.

This discussion has been closed.