As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey folks

Final Fantasy 15 would've been out right now

I wonder what the overall anticipation would have been if it was released now rather than November.

It looks like more hype is building for November thanks to the latest videos actually showing off the features they only talked about for the last couple of years. But I'm still reading a lot of skepticism, some warranted and others wildly exaggerated.

The most common statement I read over and over is people saying "I dunno about this game, I mean FFXIII burned me from the series....", which I always found unfair considering A)it's not even from the same team and B) it ignores FFXIV steadily climbing the Top 5 of all-greatest FFs.

Snugs.

Man.

For real.

How many times are people going to tell you this.

Stop reading random forums thoughts on a video game release and taking them seriously/ as an indication of ANYTHING.

This is literally how every game release is with more people the bigger the game is.

This is nothing new. This is nothing surprising.

The stuff you're seeing now will have been no different if the game is amazing or if it's terrible.

Not really: there is considerably less skepticism going around when new Fallout or Mass Effect games are nearing launch. There's also Persona 5, which may have a more "niche" following compared to those heavy-hitters, but I sure haven't read a single bit of skepticism.
    Wyborn wrote: »
    hey folks

Final Fantasy 15 would've been out right now

I wonder what the overall anticipation would have been if it was released now rather than November.

It looks like more hype is building for November thanks to the latest videos actually showing off the features they only talked about for the last couple of years. But I'm still reading a lot of skepticism, some warranted and others wildly exaggerated.

The most common statement I read over and over is people saying "I dunno about this game, I mean FFXIII burned me from the series....", which I always found unfair considering A)it's not even from the same team and B) it ignores FFXIV steadily climbing the Top 5 of all-greatest FFs.

You gotta stop letting this shit eat up your thoughts. Hitching your emotional reaction or anticipation of a game to other people's is asking to have a bad time

If I got mad every time some poor sucker was wrong about Final Fantasy 12 I'd never do anything but get mad

My concerns for FFXV were entirely decided on my own. They weren't influenced or planted by online opinions.

But just as collective hype can increase your own excitement, collective negativity can also impact it. Skepticism is fine, and also warranted given Square's track record last generation and some of the unbelievably poor marketing PR XV has gotten.

But it's still the first honest-to-god numbered FF in forever, they're really putting their resources into making a game of considerable scope and scale that hasn't been seen since the leap from FFVI to FFVII. And it's been ten freaking years of anticipation. It would be nice if there were more people excited the way they used to be during the FFVII through FFXII era.

What's important of course is if I personally enjoy it. If I love the heck out of it while a subsection of people list their grievances, it doesn't matter to me. Heck, I could end up disliking it while the majority praises it.

Still, it would be nice if there was a bit more excitement for the pre-release. It sucks that my favorite RPG series and maybe favorite videogame franchise period is being approached with the same level of "Eh I'll wait and see" sentiment as a new Sonic game. XII and XIII burned me in different ways, but not to the point that I can't be excited with the entirely new approach they're taking with XV.

First of all... When new Fallout games are coming out there are HUGE amounts of Naysayers. Like absolutely absurd amounts. And then it continues when the games come out people trashtalk them endlessly because they aren't like the old games.

As to the second part there are lots of places where people are hyped and excited. There's both sides out there. Fuck even Reddit is surprisingly positive.

You're clearly just returning to these negative places and taking it as gospel for some weird reason and thinking about it way too much because you bring this exact same thing up so often and people tell you the same thing every time.

But then you do it again.

And again.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There is an entire forum dedicated to the idea that every new Fallout is shit

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Its funny though. I was super hyped for Fallout 4 and while I enjoyed it enough to play for 100+ hours I felt it was ultimately disappointing.

I feel FFXV might be the opposite where I'm not exactly hype for it but it'll probably end up surprising me.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    20 hours into DQ7 and I just now found the Heal All and Organise Items options under Misc.

I probably should have explored the options menu a bit better.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Not really, you still got folks saying they're skeptical gonna wait for a sale on Mass Effect 4 cause the ending to Mass Effect 3 shot their dog.

Not that I believe most actually will but those complaints have been ever present.

Funny how one misstep leads to people thinking a franchise is ruined beyond repair.

The thing most people seem to forget that for Square it was a series of missteps: leaving aside FFXII as my personal starting point, we've got FFXIII (opinions aside, the majority seemed largely displeased with it), FFXIV (this one's entirely indefensible), and the squandering/disappearance of most of their IPs happening all within the same time-frame.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Its funny though. I was super hyped for Fallout 4 and while I enjoyed it enough to play for 100+ hours I felt it was ultimately disappointing.

I feel FFXV might be the opposite where I'm not exactly hype for it but it'll probably end up surprising me.

This is what I'm hoping for. I just could not bring myself to finish the main questline in FO4 because it was painfully boring and predictable. Also the story really wanted me to care about the baby when I gave no fucks about that.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Not really, you still got folks saying they're skeptical gonna wait for a sale on Mass Effect 4 cause the ending to Mass Effect 3 shot their dog.

Not that I believe most actually will but those complaints have been ever present.

Funny how one misstep leads to people thinking a franchise is ruined beyond repair.

People Gonna Bitch

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    In the end, after 10 the series changed in fundamental ways that have completely turned me off. And Square doesn't seem very interested in making a Final Fantasy game that plays like what I feel iconic Final Fantasy gameplay is like.

They can do what they want but the series identity has changed in ways that, for me, kind of ruined it.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    *avfaces reading XII opinions*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    In the end, after 10 the series changed in fundamental ways that have completely turned me off. And Square doesn't seem very interested in making a Final Fantasy game that plays like what I feel iconic Final Fantasy gameplay is like.

They can do what they want but the series identity has changed in ways that, for me, kind of ruined it.

What about World of Final Fantasy?

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Try having FFXIII as your second-favorite video game of all time and the one with the greatest emotional connection to you personally.

Then come back and talk about the woes of other people's negativity.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

I guess there's Bravely Default, though its not 1:1

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    World of Final Fantasy is going to be game of the year and I want it now.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I also really wish they'd return to a turn-based ATB system, but it's not gonna stop me from keeping playing the series, as long as the combat is good and the story is serviceable. Which is what killed 13 for me. I hated both the combat system and the story. Whereas I enjoyed the combat system and story quite a bit in 12. So I'm looking forward to 15 still, even if it isn't the combat system I want.

Also, there hasn't been much of a shortage of turn-based JRPGs lately, what with I Am Setsuna, Dragon Quest 7, and the Bravely Default games.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Check out Granblue Fantasy, it might be your jam for old school ff

What about World of Final Fantasy?

I think I might be more excited for this than 15

LxX6eco.jpg
    I liked what I played of Bravely Default and World of FF seems okay I guess.

But I'm not super into the art style of either.

And in the case of the latter, the weird fanfictiony nature of it kind of lowers my investment. Because I know it's not going to do anything real with those characters and actually develop them and further their stories.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

And in the case of the latter, the weird fanfictiony nature of it kind of lowers my investment. Because I know it's not going to do anything real with those characters and actually develop them and further their stories.

Yea this is why I'm not even going to end up buying the game.

And the whole stacking shit on characters heads thing. I don't get the appeal to that but others seem into it so I hope it turns out good for them!

edited September 2016
    Honestly one of the reasons Persona has taken over FF as my Jurp of choice is because it has good turn-based combat. Also a much better sense of style, and better character writing.

FF as a franchise has just been slowly wearing me down over the years. It's not that I think they are bad games, but they are games that largely abandoned a lot of what I liked about the series. The 7 remake being an action game removed all hope I had left.

I'll play 15 and if World gets good reviews I'll probably give it a chance, but I can't say I'm "excited" about the series anymore.

LockedOnTarget on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    20 hours into DQ7 and I just now found the Heal All and Organise Items options under Misc.

I probably should have explored the options menu a bit better.

On the one hand maybe but on the other hand no the menus are bad

2x39jD4.jpg

There's also the Dissidia mobile crossover:

https://youtu.be/mpbeMLUDUYA

I know it's a mobile game, but between that and World it's telling me that they're aren't going to entirely abandon ATB-styled FF games.

Also I desperately want to play that: it's the FF Crossover RPG I've wanted for years.

I'm surprised I'm enjoying DQ7 as much as I am.

I've attempted to get into the series multiple times over the years but for whatever reason they always left me a bit cold. Something about them always felt kind of...sterile, I guess.

But 7 has tons of charm.

Somebody rap with me about the dq7 monster hearts thing

I have a couple and how do I use them

are they consumed

is the system even worth engaging with when all I have is a slime heart and a heal slime heart because those are trash monsters I feel like I shouldn't even bother unless I get a Turbosaurus Dragon heart or some shit

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Honestly one of the reasons Persona has taken over FF as my Jurp of choice is because it has good turn-based combat. Also a much better sense of style, and better character writing.

FF as a franchise has just been slowly wearing me down over the years. It's not that I think they are bad games, but they are games that largely abandoned a lot of what I liked about the series. The 7 remake being an action game removed all hope I had left.

I'll play 15 and if World gets good reviews I'll probably give it a chance, but I can't say I'm "excited" about the series anymore.

eh Persona is great but the characters are all pretty much anime stereotypes (with a very few exclusions (kanji <3). At least FF isn't quite that

Magic Pink wrote: »

eh Persona is great but the characters are all pretty much anime stereotypes (with a very few exclusions (kanji <3). At least FF isn't quite that

Stereotypes aren't always a negative.

Not every JRPG has to be innovative with its story and cast. DQ games are almost always "an evil wizard does a bad thing to a village, go stop him", but they still end up charming and well-written.

Consistency is much more important for a 50+ hour story than stumbling over its attempts to be complex. If you can pull off both, more power to you, but there wasn't a single second where I didn't enjoy hanging out with the P4 cast.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Persona is more or less explicitly about exploring the depths of those stereotypes as real people

6F32U1X.png
    I greatly enjoyed Persona 3 and 4 but the more I think about it the more I realize I don't actually remember what most of the characters were like. I remember having a lot of fun playing and enjoying being around them but I can't think of their characteristics.

But I remember most characters in FF games. I guess they just stick with me more for some reason or another.

Shit I'm even having trouble remembering the team I used in P4 but I could tell you the team I used in any FF without hesitation.

hmm.

P5 looks like it could change that though. The characters are already leaving strong impressions on me.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I would say the stereotype complaint is stronger in P3 than P4 mainly just with how social links are structured.

The male companions didn't even get S. Links in the original and the girls got standard dating routes. Not to mention even in the main story their wasn't much interaction between the party outside of missions and a few story beats.

P4 was a lot better in that regard.

I didn't say they were.

They're just tired, boring and lazy.

Eh most fictional characters are an assortment of traits that are expounded on. The important part is whatever are not you do a good job.

"Lazy" is maybe the last word I would think of when it comes to Persona's characters

6F32U1X.png
    "Lazy" is maybe the last word I would think of when it comes to Persona's characters

Good, no one said they were.

I didn't say they were.

??

6F32U1X.png
    edited September 2016

I didn't say they were.

??

Yes, Stereotypes are. If we wanna talk Persona characters we'll need to do it individually. There's certainly a few that are straight up 100% stereotype, sure, and I think the Persona games lean a little more heavily on stereotypes than FF does as a rule

sorry I don't think I'm explaining myself well

Magic Pink on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so I'm playing through DQ8 with my kitten (he presses the buttons sometimes)

I forgot about how uh, jiggly Jessica is

like, she's cool! she's a cool character, a whip sorceress! why did you guys have to add that little slice of code in?

so I'm playing through DQ8 with my kitten (he presses the buttons sometimes)

I forgot about how uh, jiggly Jessica is

like, she's cool! she's a cool character, a whip sorceress! why did you guys have to add that little slice of code in?

Yeah, that's what killed the game for me. That and the empty, pointless overworld areas (but mostly the jiggle tits). She was really cool up until that.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I don't know why really, but I'm really fell off Persona hard over the last couple years.

Like, I finally got a PS3 because that was the only thing P5 was announced for (jesus that feels like forever ago) and now I don't even know if I'm going to get P5.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I don't have any real experience with the persona series, but I'll probably only get 5 if it comes to pc and you can kiss a boy as a boy

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I don't have any real experience with the persona series, but I'll probably only get 5 if it comes to pc and you can kiss a boy as a boy

god I would love that

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    neither will happen, sorry

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.