As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Yeah, I was looking at those montages of past attempts at Captain America, et al and thinking, "were FX really that bad in the 80s and 90s? ... yes, yes they were." (And I lived through those years.)

To be fair, Captain America is a character that doesn't really need awesome effects... it's just the early attempts were terrible all around. They could have done a Captain America movie that was really damn good for the time in the 90's... maybe even the 80's... but no one was spending money on making a comic book movie at the time. The earliest one I can think of is Blade, and unless you knew/talked to someone that knew the character, there was quite literally nothing in the marketing or movie itself that even came close to telling you this was a comic book character... it was just an action movie with vampires with Wesley Snipes as the lead (who was a hot commodity at the time).

It really wasn't until the first X-Men movie a couple of years after Blade came out that comic movies started on their road to where they are now.

I guess it's technically correct that comic book movies didn't have big budgets when Blade came along. It was after B&R, and during the time that WB really didn't know what to do with Superman (as opposed to now, where they think they know).

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Part of it, I think, was figuring out costumes. Batman was easier, because he worked in all black, but folks like Cap are in these bright, Technicolor creations that look stupid when translated faithfully into live action.

The real comic movie revolution was Spiderman and XMen figuring out what to do with all that damned spandex, and solving the problem that dudes in skintight outfits don't actually look super badass.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yeah, I was looking at those montages of past attempts at Captain America, et al and thinking, "were FX really that bad in the 80s and 90s? ... yes, yes they were." (And I lived through those years.)

To be fair, Captain America is a character that doesn't really need awesome effects... it's just the early attempts were terrible all around. They could have done a Captain America movie that was really damn good for the time in the 90's... maybe even the 80's... but no one was spending money on making a comic book movie at the time. The earliest one I can think of is Blade, and unless you knew/talked to someone that knew the character, there was quite literally nothing in the marketing or movie itself that even came close to telling you this was a comic book character... it was just an action movie with vampires with Wesley Snipes as the lead (who was a hot commodity at the time).

It really wasn't until the first X-Men movie a couple of years after Blade came out that comic movies started on their road to where they are now.

This was a deliberate move, the studio thought the movie wouldn't be taken seriously if that was well known. It was a dark time for comic book movies.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Don't forget Spawn, either.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I'm trying so hard to forget that, though.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

The animated series was soooo good.

The movie is like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies to me. They don't exist.

We came through those dark movie times. Which is why it's frustrating that DC seems to be stuck in the past with their movies being terrible to just mediocre.

People expect more from these movies now. "Good for a superhero movie" hasn't cut it for years now.

• Options

The animated series was soooo good.

The movie is like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies to me. They don't exist.

We came through those dark movie times. Which is why it's frustrating that DC seems to be stuck in the past with their movies being terrible to just mediocre.

People expect more from these movies now. "Good for a superhero movie" hasn't cut it for years now.

Nah, people knew a shitty movie when they saw it. That's why it bombed.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I liked the idea of Spawn and some of it was cool, but the CGI has aged horribly. Like mega, mega, badly.

• Options
    I liked the idea of Spawn and some of it was cool, but the CGI has aged horribly. Like mega, mega, badly.

It was terrible even when it came out. The cape was about the only cgi that looked good at the time. But aside from the costumes, nothing looks remotely good in that movie these days.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Okay, guys, we are doing a bad job at talking about DC stuff in the DC thread. Let us refocus.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    One thing I do have to say about B v S... it makes me REALLY hope Wonder Woman is good.

Her screen time was limited to be sure, but what was there I enjoyed.

The rest of the "coming attraction" hero's they forced in there. Not so much interest in given what was shown. Aquaman especially looked like they gave him a few beers and told him to hold his breath so they could get this cool scene on their gopro or something.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Many, if not most, members of Batman's rogue's gallery will be making appearances in the film.
    What a great idea. No movie - certainly no Batman movie - has suffered because they put too many villains in it.
    Even if they do get reduced to cameos as he walks through Arkham or something, they're still locking villains down with a known look and story well before they'll ever want to focus on them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Many, if not most, members of Batman's rogue's gallery will be making appearances in the film.
    What a great idea. No movie - certainly no Batman movie - has suffered because they put too many villains in it.
    Even if they do get reduced to cameos as he walks through Arkham or something, they're still locking villains down with a known look and story well before they'll ever want to focus on them.

It's not like they're in costume in Arkham necessarily.

Could just be little cameos as he walks through.

I guess.

I dunno.

What the fuck are you even doing WB?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    To be fair Batman has the most well known rogues gallery in comics, its not like they need to give any of his villains origins, just have them show up and Batman say they're name and you'll get whatever their gimmick is.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    A lot of Batman's most highly regarded comic book releases have involved large portions of his rogue's gallery. A Serious House on Serious Earth and The Long Halloween spring to mind. So I can understand how the idea could resonate with WB execs who aren't interested in the more nuancey reasons why those comics are so great.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Frantically hitting the "More Batman" button over and over and over every time there is a slight concern about the future of their cinematic universe.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Frantically hitting the "More Batman" button over and over and over every time there is a slight concern about the future of their cinematic universe.

Soon they're just going to lose their shit and add Batman to every movie they make.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Everything is Batman
    Everything is cool when he's part of your team

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys, but i am excited for Batman cameo in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    You joke, but putting a Man-Bat in there isn't implausible

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Pride & Prejudice & Zombies & Batman
    Alien Vs Predator Vs Batman
    Batman: Arkham Aslyum: The Movie Based on the Game based on the Comic Book

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Do Riddler, tho. Actually go back and get Jim Carrey to reprise under not-Schumacher.

It'll be so good, I promise.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    You joke, but putting a Man-Bat in there isn't implausible

Or reference the great Wayne family of Britain, their family symbol a bat.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Justice League part 1 is going to be all of WBs movies with Batman going around asking the main characters if they want to join his super hero team.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Guys! HISHE posted their batman parody!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTuyfQ5CR4Q

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Guys! HISHE posted their batman parody!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTuyfQ5CR4Q

I love how it's just so many random disconnected scenes shoved together.

Much like the actual film.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Everything is Batman

I thought this was going to be a Smurph joke.

"Everything is Batman, guys. Totally Batman. Isn't Batman just so completely Batman? I really Batman that guy."

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nope not this time, good luck with your cave troll.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Do Riddler, tho. Actually go back and get Jim Carrey to reprise under not-Schumacher.

It'll be so good, I promise.

Hold on, I'm trying to imagine 2016 Jim Carrey doing a Snyder-fied Riddler.

I've never seen that 'number 23' movie he did, but I feel like that would be relevant.

That said, I think there's absolutely a really good Carrey Riddler that could happen if we did it today with the right setup.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Everything is Batman

I thought this was going to be a Smurph joke.

"Everything is Batman, guys. Totally Batman. Isn't Batman just so completely Batman? I really Batman that guy."

https://youtu.be/Q71-NJ_FY88

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Aliens vs predator vs Batman is actually a pretty cool fanmade YouTube short.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

isn't it an actual comic too? think there's even a variant that throws Superman into the mix too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There have been one off Batman stories where he took on Aliens and Predators. I remember I had the batman vs aliens book.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    There was a period of time when Aliens was crossing over with everyone in comics. Terminator did that, too. The Judge Dredd vs. Aliens run is actually surprisingly good; Mega-City One makes a neat visual backdrop for an Aliens story.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

isn't it an actual comic too? think there's even a variant that throws Superman into the mix too.

Superman fought the Aliens when he was flown out by aliens away from the yellow sun and lost all his super powers. I don't think he's fought the Predators, though.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A good modern Riddler would be John Michael Higgins. That's sort of what the Arkham Games have always reminded me of. If they need to go younger Bill Hader would totes rock that casbah.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Yeah I am aware, Batman: Dead End is one of my favourite fan films ever made
    Preacher wrote: »
    There have been one off Batman stories where he took on Aliens and Predators. I remember I had the batman vs aliens book.

I had them too. They also had a few Superman vs Alien/Predator stories as well. In the Alien one, he is imprgenated with a Queen, and has to rush back to earth to charge his powers, so he can smush the chest burster and throw it up before it kills him...

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

You joke, but I'm pretty sure #2 is already a comic, and #3 would be better than anything else they've done so far...

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Soon they're just going to lose their shit and add Batman to every movie they make.

You mean like They've been doing?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Gaddez wrote: »

You mean like They've been doing?

I'm kinda intrigued by what Batman's going to be doing in Suicide Squad, and a cameo fits there.

Harry Dresden on