As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited November 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
After years of inexplicably sitting back and letting Marvel hog the spotlight, Warner Bros. and DC are finally making a theatrical universe of their own. These movies include:

Man of Steel. We've already seen this one, with Henry Cavill going on a quest for self, encountering a few surviving Kryptonians and causing billions of dollars in damage. Cavill is coming back for...

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. He'll be joined by Ben Affleck as Batman and Jesse Eisenberg as an oddly wacky Lex Luthor. Here's the official synopsis:
Fearing the actions of a god-like Super Hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s "most revered, modern-day savior," while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.

As the trailers spoiled, that threat that needs punching is Doomsday. Also Darkseid is hinted at for some point in the future.

Trailers! In release order:

https://youtu.be/bha24P9uw-E

https://youtu.be/fis-9Zqu2Ro

https://youtu.be/eX_iASz1Si8

That last trailer was released about the same time Deadpool became increasingly likely to make bank. The tonal difference in that trailer from the rest is pure coincidence, I'm sure.

Also the entire Justice League was confirmed to be in the movie practically at the same time the flick was announced. It's being helmed by Zack Snyder, the same person who did MoS, for better or worse. Next up is...

Suicide Squad. Just like in the comics, Amanda Waller gathers baddies Deadshot (Will Smith, no less), Rick Flag, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, Katana, Slipknot, Killer Croc and El Diablo, all of whom have crap written on their costumes and/or faces, and forces them to go on a dangerous government mission. It will involve Jared Leto's heavily tattooed Joker and a massively spoiled guest hero pretty much everyone already guessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

Wonder Woman. Let's hope Gal Gadot was good in her extended time on Bats v Supes, because she'll have her own movie next. Supposedly it's set over several time periods, including the first world war, as she battles against Ares.

After that is:

Justice League Part One
The Flash
Aquaman
Shazam
Justice League Part Two
Cyborg
Green Lantern

Though the situation seems to be constantly evolving.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'll do a better job of cleaning up the OP when I get back from a family emergency.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I don't know how I feel about this Joker. On one hand, something different is good, and practically a necessity after several actors have already knocked it out of the park. He looked pretty good in the second trailer. But... That's because I couldn't see the tattoos. I think Jason Todd as the second Joker is a good concept, but those tattoos. They're the definition of trying to hard. Remove the tattoos, and I'd be a lot more interested.

And while you're at it, stop releasing info about all the wacky shenanigans Leto is getting up to because it's making me less hopeful every time I hear about them.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    @cloudeagle Green Lantern is now titles Green Lantern Corps.

Also, you forgot two trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZwsbcW-d-E

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imustIqOnk

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've decided I pretty much have to completely reserve judgement on Suicide Squad until it comes out. I honestly have no idea what's going to happen. The early shots of characters looked like garbage, the early trailers didn't convince me otherwise, but increasingly I don't know how to feel. Some of the new stuff looks fun. Am I being lied to? Is there any way of knowing? And all of this publicity-stuntage with Jared Leto is just so stupid. We'll see.

• Options
    My biggest issue with Suicide Squad right now is the design is horrible on almost everyone. They are just so overdesigned it's not even funny and stuff is written all over them for some reason.

Also Joker's grill is probably the worst of the overdesign philosophy that the movie is apparently adopting.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Leto's nonsense falls directly into the 'trying too hard' bucket.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    If the DCCU can have crazy shit like Doomsday and magic, why the hell can't we do a better job designing Killer Croc?

He looks like a goomba from that hilariously awful Mario Bros. movie
    BadGoomba1.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If the DCCU can have crazy shit like Doomsday and magic, why the hell can't we do a better job designing Killer Croc?

He looks like a goomba from that hilariously awful Mario Bros. movie
    BadGoomba1.jpg
    KWiguF4.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The goomba look was just ahead of its time guys!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    They shoulda gone CGI with a character that looked more like this, at least 7 feet tall

Atomika on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just be glad they didn't make him more realistic, like he's just a dude with harlequin ichthyosis, and then someone makes a comparison to Harley's name and there's a pause for laughter...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    What gets me about the Suicide Squad trailer is the guy at the beginning pitching the initiative as an answer to Superman.

Like Superman wouldn't just tear them all to pieces in an instant.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah my biggest beef with Killer Crock is how short he is. Like his head even looks too big in proportion to his body for some reason.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    What gets me about the Suicide Squad trailer is the guy at the beginning pitching the initiative as an answer to Superman.

"Quick, get Deadshot and the Joker! We need to stop Superm-- oh wait they're dead. They're all dead. Necks broken, every last one."

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Nah it will turn out the suicide squad was in Metropolis when the shit went down and they all died in the catastrophe, Amanda Waller will then be shot in the face because they wanted to have a bit of fun with the character.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

"Quick, get Deadshot and the Joker! We need to stop Superm-- oh wait they're dead. They're all dead. Necks broken, every last one."

"Also, it looks like someone with heat vision carved "HAHAHA" into the walls behind them.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

"Also, it looks like someone with heat vision carved "HAHAHA" into the walls behind them.

"And then knocked the whole building down."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

"And then knocked the whole building down."

"And then ripped the roof off the White House and grabbed the president right out of the Oval Office."

What I'm saying here, ladies and gentlemen, is that I for one welcome our new Kryptonian overlord.

RT800 on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    "Don't worry, we've made sure to only recruit supervillains with mothers named 'Martha.'"

"That only works with Batman, you idiot."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The entire concept of "Squad to handle Superman" doesn't even hold up. You need a way to stop an invincible being with godlike powers. Ok. So this is your lineup.

-A guy who shoots guns.
    -A guy who throws fuckin' boomerangs.
    -A guy who can summon fire.
    -A girl with a baseball bat.
    -A crocodile man whose powers are presumably "sharp teeth and above normal strength".
    -A girl with as of yet undisclosed magic powers.

Precisely ONE of those people has any shot in hell of stopping Superman. And that's assuming this Superman even has the weakness to magic. Unless you're giving the rest of the group kryptonite bullets/boomerangs/bats/teeth, they aren't going to do jack shit.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The entire concept of "Squad to handle Superman" doesn't even hold up. You need a way to stop an invincible being with godlike powers. Ok. So this is your lineup.

-A guy who shoots guns.
    -A crocodile man whose powers are presumably "sharp teeth and above normal strength".

Precisely ONE of those people has any shot in hell of stopping Superman. And that's assuming this Superman even has the weakness to magic. Unless you're giving the rest of the group kryptonite bullets/boomerangs/bats/teeth, they aren't going to do jack shit.

It seems marginally understandable to me in the sense that the US military is basically throwing their hands up in the air and going "I guess this is as close as we're going to get to dudes with superman-like powers that we can also coerce into doing whatever we want". The Superman bit in the trailer may even just be a line the guy is throwing out to try to scare tactics his way into forming the squad for other, real purposes.

• Options
    I want to see the poor guy that has the job to install croc's kryptonite teeth lol.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

-A guy who shoots guns.

Two girls have magic powers. Katana can trap souls in her sword, the hard part is getting it to stab Superman. Which I wouldn't recommend as a first defense.

Diablo might be threat, but he's still out of his weight class.

• Options
    I am not sure sure they'd be able to do much to Superman.

Superman is weak to magic, but, ultimately, Superman's powers are still derived from the yellow sun and his Kryptonian physiology. Flames would do nothing to him since they're just magically conjured fire.

The sword might, assuming Superman has a soul (not sure if that's canon?)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    bowen wrote: »

Superman is weak to magic, but, ultimately, Superman's powers are still derived from the yellow sun and his Kryptonian physiology. Flames would do nothing to him since they're just magically conjured fire.

Superman isn't invincible, certainly not Cavill's. It depends on how hot his flames can get, if he can get it high enough he should be able to burn him. The problem is - can he get that high with temperature and can he do it before Superman kills him? Odds are not on his side here. Heat vision is going to be a bitch to get around.

I'm positive Superman has a soul, ok it's debatable Cavill's does. ;)

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Superman vs. Katana, round 1: Fight!

Katana: "I'll kill you with my magic sword!"

*Superman flies over her head beyond her reach, burns her to cinders in an instant*

no seriously, Supes could wipe out the entire suicide squad while getting dressed in the morning

• Options

*Superman flies over her head beyond her reach, burns her to cinders in an instant*

no seriously, Supes could wipe out the entire suicide squad while getting dressed in the morning

It's okay! If he flies up, they can shoot him and throw boomerangs at him!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Superman isn't invincible, certainly not Cavill's. It depends on how hot his flames can get, if he can get it high enough he should be able to burn him. The problem is - can he get that high with temperature and can he do it before Superman kills him? Odds are not on his side here. Heat vision is going to be a bitch to get around.

He'd have to get hotter than a star, though.

• Options

He'd have to get hotter than a star, though.

I dunno about that, I didn't think DCEU Kryptonians were that strong. Ordinary missiles knock them out cold.

No one's denying that, but they may not be completely useless. Of course they need to get really, really lucky and pray they get Cavill on a bad day where his IQ drops to double digits. Which happens. The wild card is Enchantress, we don't know her capabilities yet.

• Options
    There is a comic where Ultraman sits around the Watchtower and heat visions random people to ash on the streets because he's bored...from space.

Superman doesn't have to do much to kill the Suicide Squad. most of them barely register as a blip, much less an actual threat.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

Capt Boomerang: "Oi, Superman, have some KRYPTONITE boomerangs!"

*Supes casually steps out of range, burns him to cinders in an instant*

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    There is a comic where Ultraman sits around the Watchtower and heat visions random people to ash on the streets because he's bored...from space.

Superman doesn't have to do much to kill the Suicide Squad. most of them barely register as a blip, much less an actual threat.

Cavill's Superman isn't that smart. :)

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Capt Boomerang: "Oi, Superman, have some KRYPTONITE boomerangs!"

*Supes casually steps out of range, burns him to cinders in an instant*

*Boomerang returns to a pile of ash. *

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Maybe the plan is to kill him via brain aneurysm.

"What... what the fuck?! They know I'm faster than a speeding bullet, right? And they're throwing a boomerang at me? And... that woman only has a baseball bat! It's not even metal, it's just wood. Who the fuck do they think I am, 1940's Green Lantern? How do they honestly think any of this crap is going to killassasdflafjd;ja;l".

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    The magic fire thing could go either way, really. You're either using magic to conjure regular ol' fire, which does nothing, or it's magic fire that doesn't give a hoot about how invulnerable you're supposed to be.

I've always been of the opinion that Batman's best defense against an evil Superman would be to sic Wonder Woman on him- magic sword, lasso, shield, almost as strong, almost as fast, much better at actual martial arts.

• Options
    Batman's best defense is basically permanently infusing Kryptonite to his body so that he's a normal man.

Pretty much the end of TDK:R

"I could've made you mortal Clark. I'm stronger than you'll ever be. I win." is what he was saying in his speech.

• Options
    glithert wrote: »
    The magic fire thing could go either way, really. You're either using magic to conjure regular ol' fire, which does nothing, or it's magic fire that doesn't give a hoot about how invulnerable you're supposed to be.

I've always been of the opinion that Batman's best defense against an evil Superman would be to sic Wonder Woman on him- magic sword, lasso, shield, almost as strong, almost as fast, much better at actual martial arts.

Superman is vulnerable to regular fire, especially this one should be. This isn't Routh's Superman where nothing can touch him except Kryptonite. It's the temperature that needs to be high enough to hurt him. Ordinary missiles knocked out Kryptonians in MoS, they're not unkillable.

• Options
    ... did they knock him out? I don't recall that. As far as I knew he just GTFO as the military decided to lay waste to the area.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    ... did they knock him out? I don't recall that. As far as I knew he just GTFO as the military decided to lay waste to the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ

4:36

Harry Dresden on