As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're talking about the kryptonians who aren't fully superpowered yet? I don't think they do shit to superman, but kryptonians artifically limited by their atmospheric conditions? Sure.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Eeeh, they were stronger than human there, but they still had their energy shielded suits on, they weren't breathing the atmosphere, they weren't up to Superman strength yet. Faora just started levelling up at the end, when she got a headache.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I am not sure sure they'd be able to do much to Superman.

Superman is weak to magic, but, ultimately, Superman's powers are still derived from the yellow sun and his Kryptonian physiology. Flames would do nothing to him since they're just magically conjured fire.

The sword might, assuming Superman has a soul (not sure if that's canon?)

This post made me realize the one hope in defeating Superman is Mr. Burns

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    it would be kind of weird if missles hurt superman though

like.. at what point is he even "super" if that shit did anything to him.

Bombs apparently don't hurt him

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    You're talking about the kryptonians who aren't fully superpowered yet? I don't think they do shit to superman, but kryptonians artifically limited by their atmospheric conditions? Sure.

They're super power enough that we can know they're not invincible gods.

B vs S spoilers
    We see Superman harmed by the nuke too.
    Eeeh, they were stronger than human there, but they still had their energy shielded suits on, they weren't breathing the atmosphere, they weren't up to Superman strength yet. Faora just started levelling up at the end, when she got a headache.

Faora was wrecking Superman's shit in the suit. He's lucky she never got fully powered up.
    it would be kind of weird if missles hurt superman though

like.. at what point is he even "super" if that shit did anything to him.

Bombs apparently don't hurt him

He can still be super, if he didn't have weaknesses or upper limits he'd be super boring. It'd drain the tension out of every movie he's in. They had to seriously make him dumber in B vs S for Lex to pose a threat.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    They friggin
    Nuked Supes in BvS.
    No way a bunch of flames is going to hurt him.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=478997

Best batman related thing ever. :D

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    They friggin
    Nuked Supes in BvS.

Yeah and it knocked him the fuck out! With no magic, and in space so he was in direct sunlight. So with enough force, you can hurt him.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They friggin
    Nuked Supes in BvS.

Yeah and it knocked him the fuck out! With no magic, and in space so he was in direct sunlight. So with enough force, you can hurt him.

Sure, it hurt him. Drained him, maybe. Knocked him unconscious for a while.
    But that was after he was being beaten on for a while by a creature nearly as strong as he is. And that after he was being beaten by a Batman who'd taken the time to prepare.
    Superman took all that and was knocked out. For a handful of minutes.
    After he finished sunbathing, he came back to earth, picked up the kryptonite spear and killed Doomsday with it.

I think I've got the order of events more or less correct there.
    So, no, I don't think fire guy's going to have much luck trying to toast Superman unless he's got a lot more juice in him than the trailers lead us to believe.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    They friggin
    Nuked Supes in BvS.

Nukes aren't "missiles".

And he was not in line of sight of the sun. That's a key point of the movie.

bowen on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I think you're all over thinking Task Force X vs. Superman. That's clearly just an example of what the Squad would be used for. Weird metahuman shit

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

I see your Batdance and raise you a piece of music written by someone who had never even heard of Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfpnIyqieyk

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    They friggin
    Nuked Supes in BvS.

Now I wonder if a pedantic nerd argument could be made that if you nuked Superman, it not only wouldn't hurt him, it would make him stronger. As long as the proper type of fusion reaction.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One of the things I really liked about DCAU Superman, especially toward the beginning, was that not only could he be hurt, he could be surprised. He could make mistakes. (Like when he tries to catch a plane by the tail, ends up ripping it off, and mutters "Nice one, Clark" as he tosses it aside and flies after the rest.) Villains semi-regularly got the drop on him with new powers and things he hadn't encountered before.
    But. He's not stupid, nor unperceptive. (Investigative reporter, don't ya know.) The second or third time someone tried that same trick? He'd usually come up with some way to avoid it, or reverse it, and hand them their ass.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Man now ya'll are just making me want to watch through JL/JLU again. Not that I ever really need an excuse..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    What gets me about the Suicide Squad trailer is the guy at the beginning pitching the initiative as an answer to Superman.

Like Superman wouldn't just tear them all to pieces in an instant.

But Superman isn't a kil...wait, we're in the Snyderverse, never mind.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    What gets me about the Suicide Squad trailer is the guy at the beginning pitching the initiative as an answer to Superman.

*sigh* I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a reboot. At least a decade, right? To bad we'll be losing Suicide Squad, Jeremy Iron's Alfred, Wonder Woman and Batman (aside from the murdering and the killing).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    but on that day, we will finally have colors other than brown, grey, and washed-out blue.

• Options

*sigh* I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a reboot. At least a decade, right? To bad we'll be losing Suicide Squad, Jeremy Iron's Alfred, Wonder Woman and Batman (aside from the murdering and the killing).

They could keep the actors and explain this one away with crisis on infinte earths type stuff.

• Options
    edited April 2016

They could keep the actors and explain this one away with crisis on infinte earths type stuff.

If it happens it'll be a first, which is a shame since I like the actors. Cavill and Adams have been so badly used in these movies, in particular.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Cavill has no right looking as much like superman as he does.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I am not sure sure they'd be able to do much to Superman.

Superman is weak to magic, but, ultimately, Superman's powers are still derived from the yellow sun and his Kryptonian physiology. Flames would do nothing to him since they're just magically conjured fire.

The sword might, assuming Superman has a soul (not sure if that's canon?)

This post made me realize the one hope in defeating Superman is Mr. Burns

So the next movie is the ultimate team up of Superman and Maggie Simpson vs Batman and Mr. Burns? Not sure it would be any worse.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

oh my god

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Anybody else looking forward to the HISHE review?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like the answer to "can X beat Y" is always like well, yeah if they write it decently.

In the case of Suicide Squad it'd involve all sorts of extra shit, probably. At which point, why not just have people with guns/tech/kryptonite? Like what does Harley Quinn specifically contribute that a random mook with a gun would not?

If I was going to write it, a big part would be about how the plan for the handlers is for Superman to tear through them as part of some overarching plot to simultaneously get rid of the Squad and maybe like... force Superman to kill? Make him do something that would cause people to hate him somehow? Something sinister and blackmaily and predicated on the Suicide part of the Squad and a misunderstanding of the character of Superman derived from an overwhelming cynicism.

Then they succeed via a plucky unlikely combination of their unique points of view and seemingly innocuous powers, not in killing Superman but in getting him down. Then somehow he figures it out, and he decides to help them out against Waller/the handlers in some manner, and maybe when he leaves you can see that they're uncomfortably inspired by his example despite brushing off the events.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    If I was going to write it, a big part would be about how the plan for the handlers is for Superman to tear through them as part of some overarching plot to simultaneously get rid of the Squad and maybe like... force Superman to kill? Make him do something that would cause people to hate him somehow? Something sinister and blackmaily and predicated on the Suicide part of the Squad and a misunderstanding of the character of Superman derived from an overwhelming cynicism.

That's the easiest thing to do with this Superman. All you need is to have him appear near someone who he thinks is a bad guy.

B vs S spoilers
    I can't believe the first line Superman says to Lex is threatening to "break him." Holy shit.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    When the Penny Arcade Forums can't be swayed by Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, you know you fucked up.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options

That's the easiest thing to do with this Superman. All you need is to have him appear near someone who he thinks is a bad guy.

B vs S spoilers
    I can't believe the first line Superman says to Lex is threatening to "break him." Holy shit.

I kind of remember Superman in Lois in Clark doing something similar. Though not quite so... forward. But definitely an ominous thing.

• Options

B vs S spoilers

I kind of remember Superman in Lois in Clark doing something similar. Though not quite so... forward. But definitely an ominous thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiRWwxFjqNM

He's aggressive, what I'd expect from a police officer - not too out of line though. *shrug*

• Options
    Yeah definitely not quite the same.

Kind of wish Cavill would get the proper superman treatment. Dude's got charisma that would make Superman in the comics look like a robot.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    When the Penny Arcade Forums can't be swayed by Bohemian Rhapsody and Ballroom Blitz, you know you fucked up.

I enjoy this incarnation of DC immensely but the endless flow of negativity makes getting involved in the thread frustrating. I think we need a "Bash DC Movies" thread, it would be nice to actually talk and discuss this stuff without relentless sarcasm and bashing.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If the DCCU can have crazy shit like Doomsday and magic, why the hell can't we do a better job designing Killer Croc?

He looks like a goomba from that hilariously awful Mario Bros. movie
    BadGoomba1.jpg

I have a particular loathing for this "croc" character

• Options

I enjoy this incarnation of DC immensely but the endless flow of negativity makes getting involved in the thread frustrating. I think we need a "Bash DC Movies" thread, it would be nice to actually talk and discuss this stuff without relentless sarcasm and bashing.

We've been bashing some movies, but not all of it - the problem is we don't have much faith that they'll deliver what we like. You may enjoy it, I don't know why. Personally, I prefer a Superman who isn't a psychopath who makes MurderBats look rational. This isn't fun for us either, we are DC fans.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for the first movie that isn't dreary decouloured and drab but instead light and colourful and suddenly Supes becomes all cheery and much more powerful because finally he gets some sun.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I definitely have more faith in David Ayer since he is a much better writer and director than Zack Snyder. Even if Suicide Squad is extremely dark and gritty, Ayer could probably make it work since that is his style.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gator wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    If the DCCU can have crazy shit like Doomsday and magic, why the hell can't we do a better job designing Killer Croc?

He looks like a goomba from that hilariously awful Mario Bros. movie
    BadGoomba1.jpg

I have a particular loathing for this "croc" character

Why don't you cry about it...

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016

We've been bashing some movies, but not all of it - the problem is we don't have much faith that they'll deliver what we like. You may enjoy it, I don't know why. Personally, I prefer a Superman who isn't a psychopath who makes MurderBats look rational. This isn't fun for us either, we are DC fans.

Huh, was watching some of the old kevin smith dialogs about working on certain movies, and something familiar popped up...

https://youtu.be/Wo2KB1dEDdk?t=439

Time link didn't work, its at 7:19

Morkath on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular

Indeed, as an old school DC fan, I hate the direction the company has taken the last odd decade or so. I'll dance a happy jig when the likes of Zach Snyder and Dan Didio are no longer working for them. They are a poison inside WB/DC.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm easily one of the biggest bashers of DC's movies because I find that the movies are poorly written, drab in color, waste good talent, screw around needlessly with the fundamentals of the characters and probably a dozen other things I can't think of at the moment other then how I'd rather hit myself in the right testicle with a tack hammer then watch one more fucking batman movie.

But that having been said, no one would be happier to see good movies come out from DC then me.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I think what he's saying is that for the people who actually do enjoy these films as they are (these people clearly exist) this thread is an unfriendly place. Which, you know, is true.

But this is debate and discourse not fanwank central it's not really the purpose of this sub-forum to segregate negative and positive opinions into separate threads. Like, at all. So I don't see a remedy, at least not within D&D.