As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I could use some tips for the second boss. I can't seem to do anything to her. She never stops attacking, and the rare time I'm able to dodge or block one of her attacks and I try to counter-attack, she just ends up wrecking me. This is way less fun than any DS boss I've encountered because I can barely even get a sliver of health off of her and I don't feel like I'm getting any better every time I face her.

Hmmm. Almost every one of her attack combos ends with an opening. Just stay close enough that as soon as her melee combo ends you go in and dice her up a bit. Or right after she stops her spinny attack go in and hit her. Or right after she lands her dive bomb attack. Attack her.

Everything she does ends in an opening to attack.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I guess I just need to get better at timing my dodges, and maybe I've been trying to get in too many hits when I am able to dodge. It would probably also help if I wasn't really tired at the end of the day every time I fight her.

Thanks for the tips!

• Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Definitely use range to your advantage. Her kicks/umbrella have a reliable pattern and are short range, so if you use a spear or kurasigama you can hit her with some high stance attacks from a good range. Some other weapons may also have range, but I haven't used them.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Once you get the timing down on your dodges, you'll be amazed at how easy she is.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I could use some tips for the second boss. I can't seem to do anything to her. She never stops attacking, and the rare time I'm able to dodge or block one of her attacks and I try to counter-attack, she just ends up wrecking me. This is way less fun than any DS boss I've encountered because I can barely even get a sliver of health off of her and I don't feel like I'm getting any better every time I face her.

She was giving me trouble too but after reading some stuff here and using some items I'd neglected she clicked for me.

Everyone else's advice has been good. You've probably got a bunch of Antiparalytic Needles from running around that level. Use them when you make a mistake to end the paralysis.

You have to try and get out of the dodging out of attack combos. DS lets you do that, Nioh does not. Blocking serves that purpose instead. So when she hits you with the first of her combo attacks, slam that block button down. You'll stop taking damage and it greatly reduces the paralysis buildup.

Try and hit her with a ranged weapon when she's in the air. It does a ton of ki damage.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    There are probably more specific tips if you tell your weapon choice.

If you use dual swords I can let you in on the secret EZ mode method.

Random Slice. You can just run back and forth through her with it until she dies.

You can also use windstorm or whatever it's called. Does huge chunks of damage but you actually have to pay more attention and dodge attacks before using it.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sloth plus the spear trip attack is makes every Revenant fight something of a joke.

This is exactly why I am not at all sympathetic to the complaints about Sloth. It's a misguided complaint.

Sloth is one of many tools in Nioh, but it is not a quick win button. It has limited uses per run and fades rather quickly. You have to be fairly skilled, even in boss fights, to exploit it properly, unless you are also overleveled for the fight.

On the other hand, the Dual Swords high stance Whirlwind attack more or less trivializes every single normal enemy and revenant encounter, and you are only limited by your Ki (and Whirlwind costs almost no Ki, which is then quickly recovered). I melt every revenant with L1+Triangle. Doesn't matter if they are guarding or not. Just run up to them, Whirlwind, Whirlwind, Whirlwind, Whirlwind, Whirlwind. Dead.

Are bosses easier with Sloth than if you didn't use Sloth? OK, sure. That doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed. And since PvP is not out yet, the idea that it may be unbalancing for PvP is not an argument I can currently sympathize with either. Once we see how PvP will work (and I highly doubt that the devs are going to foist a Dark Souls-esque intruder mechanic on us) then maybe we can revisit the topic. Until then, Sloth is a middling power tactic - nowhere near as powerful as so many other things in the game.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

1) Use a fast weapon. I prefer low stance Dual Swords for this, until you are higher level - then high stance Dual Swords

2) Stay mid-to-far range with your thumb on the sprint button for the most part

3) With C agility, you can dodge (X + left or right) all of her attacks. With B agility, you can just run left or right at mid-range (or backwards, for some attacks) instead of dodging and all her attacks will miss

4) If you're not going for the Crusher title (i.e. defeat her without getting hit) and you are having trouble dodging her purple paralytic ball attack, equip Antiparalytic Needles as one of your shortcuts so you can quickly break free if you do get hit with it. This is her quickest attack, but she telegraphs it by raising her arms and grunting. With B agility, just start running diagonally backwards left or right and it will miss. With C agility, you will need a little better timing and will need to dodge left or right at the last second

5) Attack 1: Umbrella - Just run backwards and let her finish her combo. Can run in and attack after her combo finishes, but I prefer to just let her go on this one

6) Attack 2: 2-3 melee combo - This one is easy to dodge, but it's hard to predict if she's going for 2 or 3 attacks. If you're not going for Crusher, this is OK, just run to her side and beat on her a bit after the second attack in her combo

7) Attack 3: Flies into the air and grunts - Purple ball shot. As I said above, run sideways or, if you are close to her, diagonally backwards. Or dodge like right after she grunts

8) Attack 4: Flies into the air and throws shuriken at you - either run sideways or, if you have a lot of Ki, just block

9) Attack 5: Flies into the air and angles toward you - she's going to fly at you. Either strafe left/right while sprinting or dodge at the last second. She'll land right next to where you are and do an ineffectual somersault giving you plenty of time to attack her.

10) Attack 6: Her grab/bite attack - I think she starts using this midway into the battle. Not sure what the trigger is - maybe after she's lost some health (but not necessarily 50%). Anyway, she runs close to you similar to when she does her melee combo and tries to grab you at short range. Let her get close and then dodge away. This is the easiest attack to get some punishment into because she needs a few seconds to recover when she misses you.

Personally, I would just dance around in mid-range and punish her after Attack 6, Attack 5, and Attack 2 in that order of preference.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sloth plus the spear trip attack is makes every Revenant fight something of a joke.

Man, why would you waste sloths on Revenants. Just block and sword ki all day till they're out of stamina, grapple. Repeat.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Beezel wrote: »

her paralyze spin can be blocked and punished. It's her normal melee combo that has to be avoided. It's usually 3-4 hits long and can be baited and poked at if you're good at staying just out of range. Her dash swoop can be dodged then punished. When she goes up in the air run towards her and bait her divebomb. dodge it and she's stunned for a few minutes and lets you open up on her.

If you break her ki, the big thing to remember is to not get too greedy chasing damage because if you're close she'll come out of that state in a few seconds and counter immediately by giving you the worst hickey.

pick the ninja skill that gives you anti-paralysis pills. Also, when shes up in the air, if you get some arrow shots off each hit will drain a lot of her stamina. If you stamina deplete her while shes in the air she will fall and be on the ground long enough to run up and get a final blow or two in.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Hanzo and his cat
    I was talking with a friend and apparently when Hanzo pulls the cat out of his tunic he's using it as a clock? I don't understand

edited February 2017
    A cats eyes can be used to tell the time. There pupils dilate larger or smaller based on the time of day. (Nocturnal animals...at night the night vision is better (wider pupils to take in more of the available light) (It's not an exact science but its true).

azith28 on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My cat tells me the time. It's just strangely always "time to purge the unclean"...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

Man, why would you waste sloths on Revenants. Just block and sword ki all day till they're out of stamina, grapple. Repeat.

Because there are often 5-10 graves within a few steps of a shrine? I like farming revenants for gear, so it's not really a waste if I can just turn around and replenish.

Also, I'm spear/axe so sword skills don't do much for me.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    So, one of the weird benefits of forging that I discovered last night is that apparently forged gear has lower stat requirements than found gear?

Like, the Master Swordsman set is heavy armor that, when dropped, has 13/13 Stamina/Strength to unlock its perks; but if you forge it, those requirements drop to 6/6, which means you can skip out on those Strength points if you so desire. Pretty neat, if possibly unintended.

edited February 2017

Because there are often 5-10 graves within a few steps of a shrine? I like farming revenants for gear, so it's not really a waste if I can just turn around and replenish.

Also, I'm spear/axe so sword skills don't do much for me.

I was just jokingly pointing out the superiority of swords not needing sloth :P

Dracil on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    A cats eyes can be used to tell the time. There pupils dilate larger or smaller based on the time of day. (Nocturnal animals...at night the night vision is better (wider pupils to take in more of the available light) (It's not an exact science but its true).

That is so cool!

edited February 2017
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing to play as the main antagonist when helping other people? Clap/laugh emotes allow for suitable roleplay. It's like the classic JRPG trope where the villain helps the protagonist out sometimes.

Dracil on
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing to play as the main antagonist when helping other people? Clap/laugh emotes allow for suitable roleplay.

I'm going to go with "No", considering every co-op player is either Yagyu, Edward, or [Obvious Spoiler Character].

edited February 2017
    Ah, I wouldn't know. As I've never once summoned a co-op character. I just assume most people are just some variant of Red Demon armor based on the revenants I see all the time.

Not sure who obvious spoiler character is.

Dracil on
    I found this video pretty fascinating and fun to watch, even though I don't really understand the point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ze39cDwykg

Is there some reason to farm amrita to that degree aside from looking for green gear? Are there no diminishing returns for leveling?

Ah, I wouldn't know. As I've never once summoned a co-op character. I just assume most people are just some variant of Red Demon armor based on the revenants I see all the time.

A) They may all be wearing Red Demon; we don't see any refashioning or transformations on Revenants, only co-op allies.

B)
    Nobunaga Oda

If I'm using spear/axe and medium/heavy armor, is there one clan I simply must join? Right now I'm just leaning towards Toyotomi (+10% amrita/money) or Furuta (+40 Luck, +10% Silver Tongue, whatever that is). None of the combat bonuses seem so wildly necessary that I have to take them, and they're all pretty specific, so I'm thinking that boosting item drop rate or resources earned would be the way to go.

edited February 2017
    metaghost wrote: »

A) They may all be wearing Red Demon; we don't see any refashioning or transformations on Revenants, only co-op allies.

B)
    Nobunaga Oda

Huh, I didn't really consider that a spoiler, since it was in the trailers. And since it's in basically every sengoku-era game ever, it'd actually be weird if it didn't make an appearance.
    Actually, so is Masamune. But I guess that's coming in the DLC.

Also, geeze, this speedrun.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-21-speedrunner-plows-through-nioh-in-under-97-minutes

Though if it's not his first character he probably got some bonuses from prestige.

Dracil on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So the first DLC will include (among a bunch of other things) a new weapon type (or types?) supposedly. What is everyone's guess on what they may be?

I'd love to see kama as a dual wield weapon, and then maybe something like a chigiriki would be a lot of fun. A fist/claw weapon would be great, too, like the yawara. Maybe a bo? I dunno.

Are you the magic man?
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I gotta say I'm really enjoying the kusarigama for non boss enemies. Any special tricks with it?

edited February 2017
    Poke at range with high heavy. If they're human-size, get the skill that also pulls them in and knocks them down, which allows you to then combo with heavy quick. Repeat. That's basically al lI do if I need to use it.

Dracil on
    Frei wrote: »
    So the first DLC will include (among a bunch of other things) a new weapon type (or types?) supposedly. What is everyone's guess on what they may be?

I'd love to see kama as a dual wield weapon, and then maybe something like a chigiriki would be a lot of fun. A fist/claw weapon would be great, too, like the yawara. Maybe a bo? I dunno.

Nunchaku perhaps?

I like fist/claw out of your suggestions. That would be my preference. Some kind of close-quarters fist variance that actually does damage.

Uh, unarmed builds actually do plenty damage.

The damage output doesn't really have anything to do with being unarmed though, as it's more a matter of Onmyo, and it is currently rather boring to punch things.

And that speedrun is just NG, fyi. Onmyo definitely accelerates DPS, and there's very little that prevents a player from just running through a level if they know the way and want to do so. Umi-Bozu is apparently the "run killer", just because it's so RNG heavy.

More fun tricks. Daiba Washi plus the talisman that summons your spirit companion creates a deceptively large aoe centered on you and knocks everything up into the air. Every human enemy I've encountered gets knocked to the ground.

That's how I killed Ii. Just knocked him to the ground, stabbed him in the face, and bashed him with my axe as he stood up.

He still kicked my ass like 15 times, but I figure someone actually good at this game could abuse this pretty easily.

Magus` wrote: »
    I gotta say I'm really enjoying the kusarigama for non boss enemies. Any special tricks with it?

Oh god yes.
    Do NOT underestimate the low stance. its obscenely powerful, and if your weapon has a +wind damage element, you are breaking their blocks like crazy.
    Even bosses, especially human bosses, low stance square attack if you get the first hit in, you usually get the full number of hits in and often can get two full rounds of spinning the weight in there face.

Mid stance is usually my preferred walking around attack for low to mid tier enemies but as soon as i see an oni or large monster, i switch to high stance, and triangle from max distance. back up, repeat until its stamina broke, or dead. this does leave you open for a time so make sure you have the time to finish the hit and dash backwards as soon as its over. Later when you feel more confident, dash in close, dash right to behind them and get the full combo in. even late game oni's get stamina drained after one series (but dont get too greedy).

Get the skills that add a hit to your combos (There are two of them) so your low attack attack combo becomes Square, Square, Triangle, Triangle. This basically kills skeletal spearman in one combo.

The High stance triangle attack drains stamina very very well.

I chose the mystic art that adds to the weight damage over the sickle mostly because i use high stance long range weight throw a whole lot, but it also seems to affect the low stance square attack.

I am continuing the path of dual swords being busted as hell.

Windstorm and Random Slice are just so strong. So far everything can be killed by spamming one or the other.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I unlocked the Mystic Skills for Ninjitsu and Onmyo Magic that makes casting instant.

This is nuts. I can throw sloth and weaken on an enemy faster than the time it would take to cast 1 spell previously.

I think I could get 3 spells out in the time the old animation for one would take.

Viskod on
    I'm having a little trouble on the final magic trial to unlock my mystical arts. I dunno why but nue is giving me problems in this level.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Is that dojo training stuff something I should be doing?

Is that dojo training stuff something I should be doing?

Yes, dojo missions unlock elements of the various skill-trees.

The dojo's unlock at certain points of the game, but you also need to hit certain levels of stat or proficency points to access them. there are 3 levels of proficency training, and a final level that unlocks mystic arts. Once you unlock the mystic arts, you can respec your stat points downward and still keep the unlock (For instance, you cant do the final ninja training without 20 points of dex, but after completion you can respec and have a dex of 5 and still put points into the mystic arts you unlocked).

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I almost never ki pulse anymore. I do my big axe combo then just wait to do it again or grapple/finishing blow. It was funny I was like 100k axe proficiency and 800k swords when I started using axes. I didn't realize how much... I hit 999,999 on axes and swords are at 820k.

I use swords when I want more of a challenge.

I've tried all the elements (not poison I guess) and here is my review:

Fire: Great! Burn, MFers. I get quick attacks in to keep it going endlessly as it refills the DoT.
    Water: Eh, more damage but I can't really tell.
    Lightning: SUPER GREAT! Sloooooooooow = easy Tengu and bosses
    Earth: Ehhhhhhh, does nothing really.
    Wind: Does even more nothing!

This has been Castle's super helpful elemental guide. You can see enemy resists and weaknesses in the Amrita Memories from the map when you look at the enemies. Hit the tab over on them for that screen!

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited February 2017
    Wind actually heavily increases your break with a weapon. I've had stuff stunlocked because of it. its actually really good.

Earth does do something, similar but i cant recall the details.
    Edit: Found the chart

Fire: damage over time
    Water: damage taken increase
    Wind: reduce break-resistant and parry
    Lightning: attack speed and movement speed decrease
    Earth: double ki consumption

azith28 on