As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    A while back I installed Windows 10 on an older Win7 laptop. I haven't used it a whole lot since, but I fought with it for a while this past Friday and I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to deactivate/quarentine the built-in store stuff on the default music player that comes with Windows 10. Windows Media Player in older versions always had a store element, but it was much more avoidable. I couldn't find any way to configure things to de-empathize the store elements, which is too bad because the default player had some kind of interesting stuff that I liked. This is probably a non-issue as I can always just install an alternative media player software.
    2. When I plug the laptop into a second monitor via a HDMI cable, the second monitor shows up as a default PnP monitor (which is the same as the laptop screen) on the device manager. This means I can't adjust screen resolution for the monitor or even get the screen to fill the entire monitor because Windows 10 is treating the two screens as though they are both identical (they both show up as screen 1 when I use the identify button). The weird thing is when I look at attached devices, the external monitor shows up there correctly with the manufacturer's name and everything, it just doesn't let me do anything or modify settings in any way. Has anyone had experience getting this to work? Previously in Windows 7 when I plugged in an external monitor, I could use Shift + F5 to alter which screen was active or cloned and I could go into display settings and use the second monitor for an extended desktop. Even at lower resolutions, the second monitor always was filled (aspect ratio permitting).

you can't really turn off the Windows Store without breaking a lot of things, as most of the built in apps update and run from there. There's nothing forcing you to use it, just leave it alone.

As for the HDMI connection, it's just setting your displays as mirrored when you have it plugged in. Set the second monitor as "extend" and it should run as a second screen. Alternatively, there's a hotkey for it. Windows+P.

For the HDMI connection, the automatic drivers for the monitors has both of them as a "PnP Monitor". The system is not detecting them as separate monitors. I can't change from mirrored as it is the only option selectable. The operating system seems to think that they are actually just one monitor, except when I look at the attached devices menu (I'll have to look it up). There do not appear to be any Windows 10 drivers available for the secondary monitor.

Regarding Groove, that's a real shame. There's some features in there that look like they could be handy but the heavy integration with the store makes it less useful for me. The Windows Store omnipresence is one thing that is making me think of reverting back to Windows 7. Driver support is the main reason I'll likely switch back though, since I've had a lot of problems with programs/hardware not working properly because there aren't windows 10 drivers for lots of the onboard Acer 2010 laptop stuff which causes a number of programs to not behave properly or to randomly stop behaving after I get a fix in place.

Caedwyr on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    That's more likely an issue with your video card drivers, not the monitor drivers.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I'll poke around to see if there are any updated drivers for the onboard video card. I was able to use a second monitor in Extended mode before the Win10 upgrade, so hopefully I will be able to get it working again.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If any of you woke up this morning, or yesterday morning, and found that your mobile devices suddenly stopped working with Windows 10 (or 8 or 7)--your phones, walkmans, what have you--it's not your (or my) old-ass phone that we stubbornly refuse to let go of. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom rolled out a WPD update that broke USB drivers for certain devices and just removed it this week. And it's actually extremely easy to fix (and fairly easy to prevent from installing again).

So hopefully you won't be like me and wipe your phone in an effort to fix it.

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    If any of you woke up this morning, or yesterday morning, and found that your mobile devices suddenly stopped working with Windows 10 (or 8 or 7)--your phones, walkmans, what have you--it's not your (or my) old-ass phone that we stubbornly refuse to let go of. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom rolled out a WPD update that broke USB drivers for certain devices and just removed it this week. And it's actually extremely easy to fix (and fairly easy to prevent from installing again).

So hopefully you won't be like me and wipe your phone in an effort to fix it.

I had a similar issue earlier this week, tried to plug in my tablet (which I haven't connected to my computer in months) and it wouldn't work. After spending half an hour thinking it was the fault of the tablet or its driver (since the Device Manager showed the device as having an issue), I came across this Microsoft Community thread that had a very quick fix for the problem.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So this came up in the PC Build thread, so I'm going to post it here too since it's just as relevant here.

Yesterday (march 16th) there was a big hubub about Microsoft blocking updtes for Windows 7 and 8.1 systems on kaby lake. so I did a bit of looking:

There were a bunch of articles all pointing to this KB from microsoft. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Now. That pages has been up since skylake was announced a year ago. It's been revised 19 times, but it has been up for a while.

In the "news" articles I'm reading about this, I cannot find one documented case of someone running a kaby lake processor on windows 7 and then not getting windows updates. People are asking to see documented cases, and no one is bringing forward proof. There's just a lot of internet people going "OMG I'M SEEING THIS THING TODAY SO OBVIOUSLY MY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS WITH NO EVIDENCE OR PROOF MUS BE TRUE" I'd also like to point out that kaby lake processors have been around for while now, and if there had been widespread instances of this being a thing, we would have seen it already. a basic Windows 7 SP1 install has something like 400 windows updates to do. If they were being blocked, we'd have seen it already.

Even in the KB article, it straight up says "may" be unable. It doesn't say they have stopped. This is microsoft covering their ass in the case that there may be an update that doesn't work on these processors.

And while we're on this path, a bit of an explainer. Yes, processors have drivers, just like your video card. There's a basic driver level that should allow pretty much any x86 processor to work in windows, but a lot of the fine tuned stuff, like power management, etc, all requires specifically written drivers. Generally, Microsoft just does this themselves, because it is in their best interest. Now, when Intel released skylake, it was apparently quite different at a driver level, and that caused huge issues. Do we all remember the issues with skylake laptops and sleep not working correctly, or things like the power management on skylake based atom processors basically not working at all? that's because of how bad the skylake underpinnings was. It's less noticeable on a desktop where a lot of those power management things don't matter as much, hence in a place like this (the PC build thread) thread we don't see it, but for laptops, skylake was a nightmare. Hell, Apple outright skipped skylake on their entire mac lineup.

Microsoft and Intel fought over this for a while, which is where the first "we're not going to support skylake on Windows 7" came from. Microsoft and Intel eventually compromised and got this dealt with, and the kaby lake release is from what I understand basically a skylake 1.0.1 type release, where a lot of the upgrades to it were to fix the driver model.

Microsoft has kept their language that they may not be able to support it because while we still think of processors as just x86 parts, the architecture is still quite different in 2017 than it was in 2006 when the codebase that Windows 7 runs on was developed (remember that Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes Windows Vista 1.1)

Lastly: even installing Windows 7 on kaby lake is apparently going to be difficult anyway. Kaby lake has dropped xhci support, which is what Windows 7's installer uses as it's driver to interface with storage. That means injecting a new driver into the windows 7 installer, assuming your motherboard maker actually writes one.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the *Lake chips and Zen have taken control of the power management states from the OS because they can do it like 300x faster in hardware than the OS can manage.

Basically Microsoft is saying "we don't want to backport the shit we did in the Win 10 kernel to make this work on operating systems that no OEM, ever, will ship on these 2017 chips". With Skylake it was more a case of benign neglect, but now they're saying they might actually block updates going forward.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The important thing is whether 8.1 works. 7 is probably too close to end of life for a new system, but 8.1 has quite a while to go as long as it doesn't get actively screwed over.

Given that 8.1 is still in mainstream support, it had better damn well receive support for mainstream hardware.

jothki wrote: »
    The important thing is whether 8.1 works. 7 is probably too close to end of life for a new system, but 8.1 has quite a while to go as long as it doesn't get actively screwed over.

Given that 8.1 is still in mainstream support, it had better damn well receive support for mainstream hardware.

I'll agree with you on 8.1. Once an OS is out of mainstream support Microsoft is under no obligation to ensure it works on newer hardware. But Windows 8.1 is undermainstream support until January 2018. It should continue to be updated for hardware.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Updated home computer and work laptop to Creator's today, no issues, everything went smoothly.

so that's good

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone happen to be running the Creators Update and have a PCE-AC68 WLAN card (uber specific, I know). Seems like after the update the card will just drop connection to my wireless - confirmed it's not the actual router or the modem since none of the other devices on the network experience any blips. Disabling and re-enabling the NIC seems to fix the issue but it's getting to be rather annoying. Of course Asus hasn't issued a driver update for this thing in like 2 years.

I need to update the OP to reflect these changes, probably tonight, but today's Patch Tuesday brings a couple important things

First off, As of today Windows 10 1703, commonly known as the Creators Update, becomes generally available. People will start seeing it in Windows Update today. It'll be a staged rollout so not everyone will see it at once, but it can be manually downloaded if you wish.

Secondly: Windows Vista leaves support today. Patch Tuesday today will be the last patches ever issued for Vista. Pour one out.

(I actually kind of liked Vista because I had a beefy PC at the time)

Win 7 was better in every way, though.

a5ehren wrote: »
    (I actually kind of liked Vista because I had a beefy PC at the time)

Win 7 was better in every way, though.

Yea. I could write a whole essay on Vista, but the tl;dr is that Vista was fine on good hardware. But in 2006 Windows XP ran like a dream on a $700 computer since it was 5 years old and system requirements were basically toaster level. People thought that Vista should be the same, and were surprised when it ran like dogshit on low end stuff.

Vista is also where Microsoft re-did the driver model to what we basically still use today, so a lot of older devices didn't work out of the box with Vista, and if 3rd parties didn't issue driver updates things like old printers didn't work with it.

Windows 7 is actually almost literally Windows Vista 1.1. The look of the aero glass was changed a bit, UAC was toned down, and taskbar icons changed. That was really it.

Vista was a great OS, just poorly remembered.

Vista had problems--but I had far fewer headaches with it than when I switched over to XP. Probably because my experience with early XP convinced me to wait as long as possible.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah driver support for Vista was awful until SP3 or so (which coincidentally was around when windows 7 came out)

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    A bunch of hardware also stopped working when Windows 8 came out, because Microsoft finally started enforcing the whole driver signing thing they'd been telling manufacturers to do for years.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    A bunch of hardware also stopped working when Windows 8 came out, because Microsoft finally started enforcing the whole driver signing thing they'd been telling manufacturers to do for years.

Yeah, I skipped 8 so I was unpleasantly surprised when my MIDI keyboard didn't work when I upgraded to 10. A different company bought the manufacturer of the keyboard and has no intention of writing a new driver. Good news is I convinced my wife to let me just buy a new one so I moved from a 25 key to a 49 key setup which has been pretty amazing. Our printer didn't work either. But that printer (like all printers) sucked anyhow.

humorously, driver signing actually still isn't enforced on 32bit versions of windows, as far as I can remember.

Bolthorn wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

Yeah, I skipped 8 so I was unpleasantly surprised when my MIDI keyboard didn't work when I upgraded to 10. A different company bought the manufacturer of the keyboard and has no intention of writing a new driver. Good news is I convinced my wife to let me just buy a new one so I moved from a 25 key to a 49 key setup which has been pretty amazing. Our printer didn't work either. But that printer (like all printers) sucked anyhow.

Let's just say I am never, ever buying another printer that doesn't have Google Cloud Print support and an Ethernet port. Windows plays much nicer with network printers than local ones for whatever reason (probably corporate stuff).

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So last night I updated W7 with this month patches. (Monthly quality Rollup, NET server rollup, Security.)
    Said install went fine and hit the restart now button. Installing up to 30% and it restarted, booting up back to the screen with percentage and it restarted again. (Is that normal? It basically restarted twice without going to the desktop screen) Booting back up, finished percentage, welcome and desktop. Little window blub at the bottom said the patches were successful. I restarted again to make sure it didn't boot twice again and sure enough it didn't. PC ran fine for the evening.

But now I wake up to this news
    . Telling me it's bad to install this month updates. :( Is there something in those patches im not seeing? They seem to say it blocks certain processors from Windows Updates but I am sure I have the Intel Core i5 processor...

Just worried about it and if I should uninstall last nights updates. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited April 2017
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So last night I updated W7 with this month patches. (Monthly quality Rollup, NET server rollup, Security.)
    Said install went fine and hit the restart now button. Installing up to 30% and it restarted, booting up back to the screen with percentage and it restarted again. (Is that normal? It basically restarted twice without going to the desktop screen) Booting back up, finished percentage, welcome and desktop. Little window blub at the bottom said the patches were successful. I restarted again to make sure it didn't boot twice again and sure enough it didn't. PC ran fine for the evening.

. Telling me it's bad to install this month updates. :( Is there something in those patches im not seeing? They seem to say it blocks certain processors from Windows Updates but I am sure I have the Intel Core i5 processor...

Unless you have an i5-7xxx you're fine.

If you have a 7xxx, you should have used Win10. (And you should upgrade to Win10 anyway, but eh)

a5ehren on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm still mildly frustrated that printer manufacturers haven't taken better ownership of wifi configurations. Our Brother laser does not play nice when it's on the wifi network, but it works perfectly fine when it's connected to my desktop via USB. And for whatever maddening reasons, I can't reliably share it on our home network when it's connected to my desktop.

I'm not entirely blaming Brother, though, because the Apple devices in our house have a difficult time with pretty much every printer ever made.

edited April 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm still mildly frustrated that printer manufacturers haven't taken better ownership of wifi configurations. Our Brother laser does not play nice when it's on the wifi network, but it works perfectly fine when it's connected to my desktop via USB. And for whatever maddening reasons, I can't reliably share it on our home network when it's connected to my desktop.

I'm not entirely blaming Brother, though, because the Apple devices in our house have a difficult time with pretty much every printer ever made.

Yeah Brother's wifi setup sucks a big fat one, but I haven't had any major issues with Ethernet. My current model even has AirPrint, which at least works well with my few iOS devices.

a5ehren on

If you have a 7xxx, you should have used Win10. (And you should upgrade to Win10 anyway, but eh)

Anyway to check? Should it be in control panel > systems info?
    Alternatively, I guess check for updates and see if it works...
    (Not home at the moment.)

edited April 2017

Did you build/buy the system in the last 6 months? If not, then you're fine. If you want to be sure, Control Panel -> System will tell you what processor you have.

They're trying to get people with super-modern systems off of old versions of the OS so that they don't have to backport support for some hardware features to old kernels (I think).

a5ehren on

unless you've bought this computer literally in the last 3-4 months, and judging that you have Windows 7 on it, you haven't. it won't be a 7xxx series CPU.

The thing you linked to only points out that Microsoft *may* not be providing security updates on systems running Windows 7 and 8.1 on the brand new intel and AMD processors that are literally 3 months old.

Yeah, also that website seems like kinda shitty scaremongering for no good reason.

How's this for maximum irony: just a few weeks ago, I installed a completely innocuous update that broke WPD functionality (a known issue, but not a universal one by any means) for my 3-year-old phone. Long story short, I ended up getting an Android phone, a Blackberry Priv. Pain in the ass, thanks Microsoft.

That's come and gone. However, yesterday, I decided that since the Creators Update had gone "official" April 10, out if Windows Insider, and that there was a message in the normal update client informing me it was an option (but it hadn't auto-downloaded yet), I went ahead and installed it. Took a complete image of my boot drive, as I sometimes remember to.

No issues. Had to update a bunch of apps, but that happens with literally every update. No security breaches as far as I can tell.

Figures I get a giant fucking inconvenience that barely anyone else has, but the huge, world-ending security breach doesn't affect me. Hah.

Going to go ahead and download the update to Microsoft Office for safety sake--even though I get about 1 doc file attachment a year that isn't work related, and even those that are fairly rare.

Did you build/buy the system in the last 6 months? If not, then you're fine. If you want to be sure, Control Panel -> System will tell you what processor you have.

They're trying to get people with super-modern systems off of old versions of the OS so that they don't have to backport support for some hardware features to old kernels (I think).

*relief!*
    Thats good to hear. My friend built my computer 6 years ago. I'm not that computer knowledgeable but I tend to become worried whenever there is something wrong with it since I use it for personal freelance work.

Nothing else to be concerned about this months patch right? >.>

edited April 2017
    the RTF/outlook vulnerability cannot be overstated. You don't need to even open the RTF file, so it's a really bad one.

I am a sysadmin for my company, and our usual patch schedule involving testing means we usually push patches out about 28ish days after they are released. I'm already testing this patch and am going to roll it out to the general population Tuesday after the long weekend. I didn't even ask for approval to push it out out of our band, I'm just doing it.

It's bad.

wunderbar on
    the RTF/outlook vulnerability cannot be understated. You don't need to even open the RTF file, so it's a really bad one.

So you mean it can't be overstated.

the RTF/outlook vulnerability cannot be understated. You don't need to even open the RTF file, so it's a really bad one.

So you mean it can't be overstated.

I don't know what you're talking about. You clearly edited my text saying overstated. Clearly.

Clearly.

:rotate:

It wasn't (entirely) me poking fun. I actually read your post as a knowledgeable assurance of the "Don't panic," variety.

Than I thought about the second half, and had to double back.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    humorously, driver signing actually still isn't enforced on 32bit versions of windows, as far as I can remember.

If you're running a 32bit version of Windows you're likely the kind of person who is going to be using legacy hardware with unsupported/unupdated drivers anyway. I think the last 32bit machine I owned was a Thinkpad X60s with a Core Duo L2400 that was built in 2006. It was nice being able to play the original 16bit version of SimCity natively.

Well, 4 days since I installed the creators update--no spontaneous combustion or horrible driver disasters from Microsoft. So I guess I'm okay to remove Windows.old and the installation files soon (considering I took a complete hard drive image and stored it on another drive).

For once, I want to actually use Window's own drive cleaning tool to do it, as oppose to stupidly trying to delete them in explorer and going through multiple permissions-removing steps.

Well, 4 days since I installed the creators update--no spontaneous combustion or horrible driver disasters from Microsoft. So I guess I'm okay to remove Windows.old and the installation files soon (considering I took a complete hard drive image and stored it on another drive).

For once, I want to actually use Window's own drive cleaning tool to do it, as oppose to stupidly trying to delete them in explorer and going through multiple permissions-removing steps.

you can also just leave it. Windows automatically removes that folder after 7 days.

updated the OP to reflect that 1703 is the new current version of 10, Vista is out of support, and a note about Windows 7 and 8.1 on Kaby Lake/Ryzen.

One day I'm going to complile something about insider program.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    From what I'm hearing, the update servers don't actually block patches for 7 and 8.1 on Kaby Lake. What happens is that the patch that's out now implements a check that disables future updates. As long as you don't have that patch yet, or you hack around the check, you can still receive whatever the latest update is.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Heyo, is this where i ask about Windows desktop backgrounds? I have two different monitors with two different resolutions, and I want my desktop to be set to 'fit' on both of them. But it just sort of makes it 'fit' for the biggest monitor and then cuts off a bunch of the image on the smaller monitor.

Am I just fucked?

Kochikens on