As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I'm saying this.

My desktop is still on 1511 and I kinda want to put 1607 on it. I run Update and it says I'm up to date. This is odd on multiple levels.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    The rollout of the version 1607 is scheduled and doesn't happen at once for all machines running Windows 10. But you can circumvent it with the MS media creation tool. Start a Windows 10 install with this program and it will update your installation to the current version instead.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The weather app stopped showing weather at a glance on the live tile

what's up with that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

what's up with that

Mine does.

Mind you, live tiles break all the goddamn time. Though weirdly the weather app has been pretty consistent. Tubecast on the other hand.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it works in medium and small, just not wide and large

weird

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mine's set to a large square (as in 2x2 full square, or 4x4 small square).

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

what's up with that

Mine does.

Mind you, live tiles break all the goddamn time. Though weirdly the weather app has been pretty consistent. Tubecast on the other hand.

Yeah, my weather tile works about 95% of the time. The rest of the MSN apps about 5%, so I guess it actually comes out to 100% in the end.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any performance issues after the anniversary update? My computer (i5-3570k, 660Ti, 16GB of ram) is hitting 100% utilization for the GPU and all 4 CPUs according to HWMonitor when I am playing games like Dota2 (all on high), or Witcher 2 (on high). I never played Witcher 2 before the update so I don't have a reference, but I never had issues with dota before this. Other symptoms include sound stuttering/tearing in Dota, Skype, Witcher, other programs.

Things I have tried include rolling back nvidia drivers to 368.69, exitting soundswitch, restarting a bajillion times, looking for new drivers via windows for the VIA audio chip.

Any thoughts? Perhaps this should be in H/A.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have the same setup with less RAM, but haven't had the utilization problems you're describing. I know nvidia has had some problems with the Shield service on the 660Ti, so maybe try disabling that. Otherwise, the boilerplate run MBAM applies here, I'd think.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »

what's up with that

Mine does.

Yeah, my weather tile works about 95% of the time. The rest of the MSN apps about 5%, so I guess it actually comes out to 100% in the end.

Weirdly, my live tile has stopped working partially--the emergency icon is displayed, but the rest of the live tile is broken for the time being.

Kind of ironic I guess.

EDIT: Works in the 2x1, but not the 2x2. Sound familiars, huh?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I have the same setup with less RAM, but haven't had the utilization problems you're describing. I know nvidia has had some problems with the Shield service on the 660Ti, so maybe try disabling that. Otherwise, the boilerplate run MBAM applies here, I'd think.

Disabled the shield services, ran MBAM, updated to latest video drivers again. No joy with any of these. The search continues.

(Also fun in this was on Tuesday night Steam refused to launch. It would get to the "connecting to account" dialog, then crash without any indications. Uninstall/reinstall fixed that at least.)

• Options

@Shadowfire, do you have any benchmarking applications that you could run on your computer? I'd be curious to compare them to see if I'm just imagining things or if there are real performance problems. Unfortunately I do not have any baselines from before to compare to.

• Options
    I don't know... If there's anything free out there I could run it a little later, just let me know what to use and I'd be happy to.

• Options
    I'll poke around and see what is available. I don't have anything right now either. I'm gone for the weekend thoguh so next week sometime I'll get in touch.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Weird, all of the backgrounds used by systems stuff just changed from purple to gray. Anyone had that happen to them before?

edit: There's a "Change the background and colors on Start" settings option somewhere, but when I try to get at it by searching it shows up but refuses to actually run.

edit: Found the setting, it was buried in the settings charm for the start menu.

I can't believe that professional designers actually created that thing.

jothki on
  • Options
    Oh yeah. As much as I like Windows 10, the Settings window is hot garbage. Give me Control Panel any day.

• Options
    Oh yeah. As much as I like Windows 10, the Settings window is hot garbage. Give me Control Panel any day.

The truly obnoxious part is that it wasn't even in the Settings app. It was the charm-accessed settings off of the Start screen. I had to go to a screen that I'd normally never have any reason to visit, open up a hidden sidebar that I'd normally never have any reason to open, and choose a menu option from it that I'd normally never need to access, all to configure an option that affects pretty much everything except for the thing that it's actually attached to.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I agree that the settings panel is...not intuitive, but go back and actually look at the control panel in Windows 7 and give that to a novice. That is equally hot garbage unless you know what' you're doing.

The settings panel in Windows 10 is just a different kind of mess now.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    organizing settings is hard and basically the only difference between ones i like dealing with and ones i don't is how familiar i am with where shit is already

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    organizing settings is hard and basically the only difference between ones i like dealing with and ones i don't is how familiar i am with where shit is already

Yeah. KDE's system settings panel is a nightmare as well, for example (at least on v4, I haven't tried 5 yet).

• Options
    The problem is that everyone's brain does work a little differently, and everyone thinks that things should be arranged/grouped in a way that makes sense to them, but might not make sense to literally anyone else out of the 1.5 Billion people who use Windows every day. So in Windows in general, there are lots of things that can be customised and changed, but the Control Panel and Settings panel cannot, so if it doesn't quite work the way you want that's the one area where there's little you can do about it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I mean, as much as it would be a nightmare if you're trying to poke through the list; why not just put everything in one area and not categorize it? Then just make a mandatory search field show up so you can find what you want?

It's not ideal, but it keeps from digging into nested settings for obscure shit. I'm sure there's a whole section of theory about UI/UX that goes over this in detail.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I mean, as much as it would be a nightmare if you're trying to poke through the list; why not just put everything in one area and not categorize it? Then just make a mandatory search field show up so you can find what you want?

It's not ideal, but it keeps from digging into nested settings for obscure shit. I'm sure there's a whole section of theory about UI/UX that goes over this in detail.

"normals" by and large don't actually use any kind of search. I have tried teaching it to so many people and it never sticks with the vast majority.

• Options
    edited September 2016

I think this speaks to the evolutionary progression of different Windows iterations--for settings to exist, they have to be somewhere (and accessible, because asking the vast majority of people to modify their registries is a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen). Everything else follows from that.

I think you can't really say the same about Windows 3.11, but for those of you who remember using Windows 95--remember the literally ridiculous amount of visual customization in it? You could literally modify the OS' splash screen and even remove Microsoft's own branding if you wanted to, and that was just the start.

You might also remember the occasionally insane organization of settings in that OS as well, as well as its periodic reliability issues (incompatibilities in the '95 era really made the BSoD a cultural meme). When Microsoft puts out an operating system that's part of a multi-generational legacy ecosystem that's used by 9 out of 10 computers on the planet (and has to be cheap and fairly accessible across a few billion people), I imagine a lot of design decisions boil down to: "Well, if we offer the user more options, it's going to proportionally (or even exponentially) raise complexity in the most fundamental settings of the system," OR "If we offer the user fewer options, it's going to reduce overall complexity in certain areas..."

Looking at the experience from OS X for the last decade, I imagine they settled on, "Well, we've long since hit the 'nightmare' level of user complexity. Do users even really give a shit about having those options?" Add the fact that Windows is, after all, written by humans and not perfect, autonomous intelligences, and here we are.

That's my own guess at the situation anyway. I mean, I'm pissed off at features of Windows 10 I can't modify even next to Windows 8.1, one iteration before it, much less older versions. But I can understand why.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

The section of theory in UI/UX explicitly says not to do that. Giving people huge lists of options is bad; they get analysis paralysis. This is why the Settings window presents the user with 7+2 options; that's about the maximum number of options you ever want to present the user with at once.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I was not consulted in this theory. Give me the option to set it up anyway I like, 1 6 mile long list included, thanks.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    You can basically search for any setting you want anyway. A big list of everything would be terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My 2x2 Weather Tile is working again.

Knew it was worth checking via resizing every morning.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Their biggest UI sin was doing things half-assed. Either commit to the new style or don't. Don't hit me with the old style UI every time I want an "advanced" setting.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Their biggest UI sin was doing things half-assed. Either commit to the new style or don't. Don't hit me with the old style UI every time I want an "advanced" setting.

If everything had been switched over to the new style at once in 8, there wouldn't be very many advanced settings, not with what their design philosophy was and still is.

I can't even disable touchpad gestures on my Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 3, because Microsoft forced it to be configured through the settings app rather than building something better into the Control Panel like every other touchpad manufacturer did and probably still does. In theory I could fix it by upgrading to 10, but in practice, that would require me to upgrading to 10, and yeah, no.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Even more reason that having two parallel systems is a really stupid idea

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Now that it's been out long enough for problems to surface (hurr hurr), what's the verdict on the Surface Book? I loved my pro, but they have an operating lifespan of about a fucking year from what I can tell. I had one replaced under warranty and the new one already has dead spots on the touchscreen after a year.

Also backspace no longer goes back in browser and I'm mad as hell

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Now that it's been out long enough for problems to surface (hurr hurr), what's the verdict on the Surface Book? I loved my pro, but they have an operating lifespan of about a fucking year from what I can tell. I had one replaced under warranty and the new one already has dead spots on the touchscreen after a year.

That's...fucked up. Even for a tablet ultrabook. I had a Surface Pro first gen for three years that I sold when I switched over to a SP3--but I treat my electronics more gently than most people (since if they're like SSDs, they'll explode no matter how careful I am with them).

• Options

Also backspace no longer goes back in browser and I'm mad as hell

In Chrome? Google released an extension for that. Per normal extension limitations, it doesn't work on pages that start with a "chrome://" url (settings, bookmarks, etc) or the chrome Web Store.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That extension is awesome, thanks! Another reason to keep using Chrome.

That's...fucked up. Even for a tablet ultrabook. I had a Surface Pro first gen for three years that I sold when I switched over to a SP3--but I treat my electronics more gently than most people (since if they're like SSDs, they'll explode no matter how careful I am with them).

I don't treat mine super rough, but they do have to travel. The Surface is unused in my office 99% of the time. It looks like my warranty recharged when they sent me this replacement though, maybe I'll just ask again.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Backspace no longer going back a page was something that the Chrome team itself put in a week or two ago, wasn't it?

• Options
    I turned off Backspace going back a page in Firefox the moment that I discovered there was an option for it buried in about:config. I'm surprised that Chrome didn't have something similar.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Backspace no longer going back a page was something that the Chrome team itself put in a week or two ago, wasn't it?

Finally, Christ. I had an extension that disabled that the second I started using Chrome.

I hate that in all browsers.

• Options
    I know why they did it, but I've been using backspace to go back for like twenty years. It stings a bit.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    My surface pro 1 was fine till I got a Pro 4, that's still going strong for me today. Battery life was actually clocking in better today than when I first bought it.