As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

and now his [Overwatch Thread] is ended

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/sv_q-UYCX6g
    In which I slide into @Aumni 's POTG video

https://youtu.be/sv_q-UYCX6g
    In which Tjorborn owns Hanamura's last point because he does.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    if someone from here added me on bnet with the name 'jaybob' your friends list is full! i cant add you!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There are plenty of hard counters. Like the enemy team had two reapers, so we went for two pharahs which is a hard counter, so they swapped to two widowmakers, which hard counter pharah.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    It's probably a bad habit, but I always stick with the character I select at the start.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Pharah is also a pretty effective Widowmaker counter though?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Does Overwatch's "day" reset at 7PM EST?

Because I just got my "first win of the day" even though it wasn't

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I want to try playing this with a full team of people. Like having 1 or 2 is nice, but so many games are just straight pubs for me and its a toss up on if it will destroy me emotionally

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Does Overwatch's "day" reset at 7PM EST?

Because I just got my "first win of the day" even though it wasn't

Yeah. It seems to be based on midnight GMT.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    pharra isnt a "hard counter" to reaper

a hard counter is when your entire purpose for being in the match is nullified by the presence of the other character

pharra is a hard counter to someone like Torbjorn because she can pretty much obliterate the turrets on demand from safety, or Reinhardt because she can just jump over the shield and wipe the party

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Even Pharah vs Reinhardt isn't a hard counter. She doesn't instantly destroy his shield and he can raise it above him if necessary. She's good against him, but not a hard counter. I think that term just gets thrown around too much.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Pharah isn't a hard counter to anyone really. She's a good all-rounder.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Pharah is a hard counter to not looking up.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    pharra isnt a "hard counter" to reaper

a hard counter is when your entire purpose for being in the match is nullified by the presence of the other character

pharra is a hard counter to someone like Torbjorn because she can pretty much obliterate the turrets on demand from safety, or Reinhardt because she can just jump over the shield and wipe the party

What can a reaper do to a pharah? Reaper has shotguns, pharah spends most of her time at a range that he can't even damage.

• Options
    A Pharah being on the other team doesn't mean Reaper needs to switch to someone else or be useless. Let someone else on his team deal with Pharah while he does his own thing. Winston vs Widow is a counter because he effectively takes her out of the game.

• Options
    Mei is a hard counter to all things. Mei is the beginning and the end, Mei is Ragnarock

• Options
    A Pharah being on the other team doesn't mean Reaper needs to switch to someone else or be useless. Let someone else on his team deal with Pharah while he does his own thing. Winston vs Widow is a counter because he effectively takes her out of the game.

That's 100% what happened though. Me and the other Pharah just started hunting the Reapers, they couldn't hurt us, if they got near a teammate we would blast them back with E, and they just kept dying over and over. Both of them switched within a few deaths to this. Clearly they felt hard countered.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Even if Pharah gets behind Reinhardt's shield he has so much health and armor that it takes a whole clip worth of rockets to kill him.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Even if Pharah gets behind Reinhardt's shield he has so much health and armor that it takes a whole clip worth of rockets to kill him.

its not about killing reinhardt, its about killing everyone reinhardt is trying to protect

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I really need to play with some people from here. Tasteticle#1886 on bnet

Public games are beginning to turn me a tad sour

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    There probably shouldn't be two Reapers, anyway, unless the rest of your team were all tanks. Pharah isn't so beefy that a 76 or something wouldn't be able to kill her before she can go after Reaper. That's why Winston vs Widow works. He has enough health to get on top of the Widow and kill her.

• Options
    As someone who mains Widowmaker a fair bit

Yeah

Winston is terrifying

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I like playing as torbjorn...
    if someone from here added me on bnet with the name 'jaybob' your friends list is full! i cant add you!

That'd be me and dang it I gotta check my friend list.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

That's 100% what happened though. Me and the other Pharah just started hunting the Reapers, they couldn't hurt us, if they got near a teammate we would blast them back with E, and they just kept dying over and over. Both of them switched within a few deaths to this. Clearly they felt hard countered.

i mean i'm sure they felt hard countered, but a lot of people in thread feel that bastion's the best character B)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    There probably shouldn't be two Reapers, anyway, unless the rest of your team were all tanks. Pharah isn't so beefy that a 76 or something wouldn't be able to kill her before she can go after Reaper. That's why Winston vs Widow works. He has enough health to get on top of the Widow and kill her.

76 is also a good counter to Pharah yes, due to having a good damage, accurate hitscan gun.

But even by saying that there shouldn't have been two reapers unless our team was all tanks points towards how counter based this game is.

There team had two reapers and a junk rat on it, we went for two pharahs. Half of their team could do basically nothing to us. There was no amount of skillful play could win that match up. They had to swap characters. That's why I feel comfortable saying this game has hard counters.
    Inquisitor wrote: »

i mean i'm sure they felt hard countered, but a lot of people in thread feel that bastion's the best character B)

Legitimately curious, what can a reaper do against a Pharah? I'd like to know if I am overlooking something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Why exactly is Winston terrifying to Widowmaker?

(Haven't used either yet)

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Why exactly is Winston terrifying to Widowmaker?

(Haven't used either yet)

He can jump her and smash her.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Spiders and gorillas are natural enemies

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Spiders and gorillas are natural enemies

Until winterMei comes, and the gorillas all freeze to death.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just this last game I played, Winston learned the hard way that he cannot go toe to toe with Symmetra because that is a fight he will lose.

• Options
    Also I'm not sure why Pharah is supposed to be super good against Reaper or anything because I've played the last few games as Pharah and get slaughtered by Reapers on the reg

• Options
    Also I'm not sure why Pharah is supposed to be super good against Reaper or anything because I've played the last few games as Pharah and get slaughtered by Reapers on the reg

Stop being on the ground

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Stop being on the ground

But in the air is where I'm killed the most

• Options
  • Options
    Oh god I love when my Torb ult is fully charged and I've just been killed and I'm on my way back to the payload and see that my turret is losing health

Press Triangle NO IT ISN'T

Where's that payload going?

Fuckin' nowhere

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    This game has almost no hard counters

Pharra is not a hard counter to reaper

The game has far less of them than tf2

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean ultimately what i'm hearing is "ranged characters hard counter melee characters" which isn't really the case in most video games

range is an advantage characters have over melee, but the melee characters have other advantages to make up for it

in this instance the reapers should have been making use of their traversal and immunity options to work their way through danger zones in order to take out targets of opportunity

what happened is that the game is new and the reapers didn't have a solid grasp of the tools they had available to work against someone systemically targeting them, and no one was preying on pharahs who were exposing themselves to danger (one of pharah's issues is that it's actually incredibly unsafe to be in the air), and so presumably the players in question swapped to a character that they had a better understanding of how to answer the current situation with

also junkrat can totally deal with pharah it just requires him to have good aim

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i mean ultimately what i'm hearing is "ranged characters hard counter melee characters" which isn't really the case in most video games

range is an advantage characters have over melee, but the melee characters have other advantages to make up for it

in this instance the reapers should have been making use of their traversal and immunity options to work their way through danger zones in order to take out targets of opportunity

what happened is that the game is new and the reapers didn't have a solid grasp of the tools they had available to work against someone systemically targeting them, and no one was preying on pharahs who were exposing themselves to danger (one of pharah's issues is that it's actually incredibly unsafe to be in the air), and so presumably the players in question swapped to a character that they had a better understanding of how to answer the current situation with

also junkrat can totally deal with pharah it just requires him to have good aim

I've definitely nailed a Pharah mid-ult with a Junkrat grenade and blown her to bits

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    reaper is the hard counter to pharah

he can build a mountain of shotguns, ascend it and melee her

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_o7tbakzwr31r2rbpyo1_1280.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    This game has almost no hard counters

Pharra is not a hard counter to reaper