As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    This just went from my absolute most anticipated title to a hard pass will not buy. I am really sad about it. :(

However a MOBA style game mode being the only MP option and a non-cosmetic progression system in MP are deal breakers for me. Sigh...

I'm willing to wait and see, but yeah, unlockable progression for things in MP (when it actually affects the gameplay) has always been pretty iffy to me.

EDIT:
    Minimum:
    Processor: 3GHz i3 quad logical core or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB of RAM, 1 GB of VRAM MB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6950 or equivalent DirectX 11-card
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: Quad physical core i5 or equivalent recommended for 3vs3 multiplayer. Game requires Internet connection for play and progression.

Recommended:
    Processor: 3GHz i5 quad core or equivalent
    Memory: 8 GB of RAM, 2 GB of VRAM MB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 770 or AMD Radeon 7970 or equivalent DirectX 11 card
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 50 GB available space
    Additional Notes: Game requires Internet connection for play and progression.

Are these accurate? Because those requirements actually seem ridiculously low all things considered. I was honestly thinking I'd need to upgrade my PC to run it (I'm still on a 660Ti).

That said, CoH2 has lower "recommended" settings, any my PC still occasionally stutters with it. :?

they're legit. I've been running the closed beta at home (GTX 660) with high-ish settings with little trouble. there has been some big improvements under the hood.

That's pretty freaking impressive.

Darnit, I might just need to break my Linux streak and log back into Windows for this. Wish I knew if they were porting this to Linux like the others.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Not at all.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed DoW. I thought DoW2 was a mechanically superior more refined better game but I played way less of it. There was some dimension of satisfaction that was lost in all the polish and diminished scale, even if those things made it technically a more refined game.

I'm hoping that they bridge that gap. Maybe allow custom rules for people who want a simplified base building experience.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Although I reserve judgement the focusing of the battle around "MOBA" objectives (seems ridiculous to even tag this with the MOBA as it sort of lacks any similarities other than "kill a big thing to win the game") seems like a huge blessing for making multiplayer games have more story than "We fought and one of us lost our army and then our base".

Consider that this game has no retreat mechanics nor victory points. Putting a greater objective than "just kill the enemy" creates a greater realm of strategy. Should you go for the outer "shield generator" first or attempt to harass their economy? Focusing on objectives has the potential to open up favorable "base-race" situations even if you had to sacrifice economic gain. The eldar can teleport their bases and play an elusive game but they presumably can't run their objectives around forever (if such objectives can be moved at all). This means you can play a game of "value" by picking off enemies with unfair fights, careful ambushes, and other slower tactics but you must be mindful of being to slow and losing the game because your "Core" was exposed and the enemy smashed it. In short the objectives are almost certainly to bring focus to battles and slow the game down both of which seem valuable to me.

I can already see some SC2 parallels if you didn't have objectives other than annhiliation. Consider that Space Marines can drop-pod reinforcements in anywhere. In a space-marine mirror match then the concept of space and reinforcement time is meaningless: you will both reinforce immediately. This means that the first player to get a lead will keep snowballing: both gain reinforcements at the same speed. This is extemely similiar to the Protoss v Protoss match-up in SC2: warp gate technology stripped the defender of the "defenders advantage" of getting reinforcements faster because his base was nearby. Both protoss players could just "warp in" units instantly to either base. It was a blight on the match-up for a long time. However introducing objectives means (particularly if they fight back) can mitigate this as the defender has other advantages and stalling methods to shift the balance of power.

I see a potential for great strategic value from this setup even if the tactics of the game are almost certainly less interesting with the simplified cover system. Color me intrigued.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Not at all.

I was thinking in future. DoW2 and CoH2 were ported well after release, but that's largely because Linux gaming didn't really start becoming "a thing" until fairly recently. I could see a DoW3 port coming within 6-12 months if there's impetus, considering Relic have let the other games get ported.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Not at all.

I was thinking in future. DoW2 and CoH2 were ported well after release, but that's largely because Linux gaming didn't really start becoming "a thing" until fairly recently. I could see a DoW3 port coming within 6-12 months if there's impetus, considering Relic have let the other games get ported.

oh, sorry, my "not at all" was not at you (I don't know if there is going to be a port).

It was directed at @Gnome-Interruptus, who suggested "seems like Relic saw the ability to monetize DLC commanders in CoH2 and are trying to port that over to DoW3."
    edit: not trying to give it gnome - the cynicism is deserved, given the history.

It's not the case at all.
    "This is all me projecting into the future," says Boulle. "I would say we've had a long history of success with big meaty expansions that add new races or factions and add new ways to play the game, more campaign content, etc. So that's definitely something we're going to revisit. We'll see an expansion of some sort for Dawn of War 3. In terms of content between that, we don't have anything concrete, but where we're leaning is to keep the gameplay content essentially free—have it unlock with the skulls you earn just by playing. And then potentially have various cosmetic items that would be for sale. But again, nothing is set in stone at this point."

It's the reason fancy skins are the pre-order bonus and not, say, exclusive elites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiT4t6hdklI

Matrias on
  • Options
    not trying to give it gnome - the cynicism is deserved given the history.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Matrias You guys put out a bunch of cosmetic packs for DoW2 (like the Death Korps of Krieg skins for IG). If those sold pretty well (as was my understanding) then that seems like a pretty obvious way to monetize the game in-between expansions without screwing the players.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Matrias You guys put out a bunch of cosmetic packs for DoW2 (like the Death Korps of Krieg skins for IG). If those sold pretty well (as was my understanding) then that seems like a pretty obvious way to monetize the game in-between expansions without screwing the players.

Yeah, totally. We've had a lot of success with that stuff - 40k lends itself to kustom kit and the fans crave it.

Back on Retribution we had a nebulous DLC plan, and a bunch of us were puzzling over the Dark Angels codex wodering how badass it'd be to have these robed guys running around in game. Our lead character artist (who is now our art director) made them in two weeks by himself. They were really popular, and we ended up doing four more for Ultramarines, Krieg, Word Bearers, and Ulthwe

Retribution itself and everything that we did for it after it came out was just a labour of passion. There was a lot of uncertainty with THQ at the time and we were just trying to block it out by experimenting and making cool things.

Matrias on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hah, I think I have all of those. But yeah, as someone who played City of Heroes and bought almost every cosmetic DLC that wasn't part of the subscription plan (or purchaseable with the points we got for subscribing) I am a big fan of games having stuff like that. I may quibble on prices, but that's a whole other discussion.

God, I miss having the money to blow on stuff like that. :P

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey @Matrias , can you supply me with a multiplayer-only version of Dawn of War 1 so I can get my whole department hooked on it?

Because right now they're playing Age of Empires II and ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OK this?:

https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/unit-spotlight-mad-dread

I'm struggling to think of an occasion where I wouldn't want to take this. Def'natlee a fine addishon to da Orkz.
    Abilities

Tunnel

The Mad Dread digs a tunnel between itself and the target position. Allies can right-click on either side to teleport to the opposite end. Upon exiting the tunnel, the Mad Dread does damage and knocks enemies back. It can also run through enemies for a short duration.

Loot

The Mad Dread heals when he walks over scrap.

Rampage (Passive)

Upon taking lethal damage, the Mad Dread gains a temporary shield and generates Fury based on the damage it deals. Reaching maximum Fury heals him. If the shield breaks, it will die. The Mad Dread cannot heal from scrap while in this state.

https://www.dawnofwar.com/content/other/W9rcPq7B5GFNXiMa-92b404e556588ced6c1acd4ebf053f6809f73a93.mp4

subedii on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Orks OP. They have become the new Ravenor Hero cheese.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

They put Inquisitor Ravenor in Dawn of War?

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    This is something of a nitpick, but I can't help but ask where's the music?
    Every gameplay video I've seen has essentially nothing beyond some vague background ambience with hints of actual music for a few seconds when an objective is taken or similar. Maybe it's just the default mix for the beta version had it turned down to near nothing but it makes the game feel a bit lifeless really. It would be a shame not to use the absolutely amazing themes that have already been previewed to their full extent.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    OK this?:

https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/unit-spotlight-mad-dread

I'm struggling to think of an occasion where I wouldn't want to take this. Def'natlee a fine addishon to da Orkz.
    Abilities

Tunnel

The Mad Dread digs a tunnel between itself and the target position. Allies can right-click on either side to teleport to the opposite end. Upon exiting the tunnel, the Mad Dread does damage and knocks enemies back. It can also run through enemies for a short duration.

Loot

The Mad Dread heals when he walks over scrap.

Rampage (Passive)

Upon taking lethal damage, the Mad Dread gains a temporary shield and generates Fury based on the damage it deals. Reaching maximum Fury heals him. If the shield breaks, it will die. The Mad Dread cannot heal from scrap while in this state.

https://www.dawnofwar.com/content/other/W9rcPq7B5GFNXiMa-92b404e556588ced6c1acd4ebf053f6809f73a93.mp4

Fuck, i had so much fun writing for that guy. Actor did a great job too.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Hey everyone open beta is upon us
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/open-beta-faq

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hey everyone open beta is upon us
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/open-beta-faq

omgomgomgomg

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm going to set aside my desire for a more traditional RTS and give the open beta an honest shot. Even though this game isn't what I really want, maybe I'll endup liking it.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

When I was looking at various 40k things I saw the orks seemed to be now taken a lot from the dawn of war series compared to everyone else

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    @Kinderparty maybe new open beta is worthy of a thread title update?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Hey @Matrias , can you supply me with a multiplayer-only version of Dawn of War 1 so I can get my whole department hooked on it?

Because right now they're playing Age of Empires II and ehhhhhhhhhhh.

How dare you besherch the good name of AoE2!

How

Dare

You.....

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    @Matrias How long have you been with the company? Were you there when Soulstorm was made? That production and community reaction has always interested me and I always wondered about opinions from Relic employees (edit: specifically since it was subcontracted). I know you're probably not even allowed to say if you were, even, but still.

Just in the vein of... the "hardcore" community received it rather poorly. I personally had no problem with it and sunk a ton of time into it, but there just seem to be so much he said she said drama around it.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Frei wrote: »
    @Matrias How long have you been with the company? Were you there when Soulstorm was made? That production and community reaction has always interested me and I always wondered about opinions from Relic employees. I know you're probably not even allowed to say if you were, even, but still.

Just in the vein of... the "hardcore" community received it rather poorly. I personally had no problem with it and sunk a ton of time into it, but there just seem to be so much he said she said drama around it.

Keep in mind that Soulstorm was subcontracted out to Iron Lore Entertainment, though.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    @Matrias How long have you been with the company? Were you there when Soulstorm was made? That production and community reaction has always interested me and I always wondered about opinions from Relic employees. I know you're probably not even allowed to say if you were, even, but still.

Keep in mind that Soulstorm was subcontracted out to Iron Lore Entertainment, though.

Yes, that's exactly the reason I was asking. Considering the reaction to the game by some of the base, and the fact the game was trusted to another company to make.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Yes, that's exactly the reason I was asking. Considering the reaction to the game by some of the base, and the fact the game was trusted to another company to make.

Ah, okay. In that case, yeah, I'd also be curious what the internal reaction was like, although it probably wouldn't be politic to air that sort of thing publicly.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Ah, okay. In that case, yeah, I'd also be curious what the internal reaction was like, although it probably wouldn't be politic to air that sort of thing publicly.

Yes, just figured it'd be worth asking now since it was quite some time ago and there's no real interest in the "controversy" anymore. I'm more interested in what they'd think about the opinion of that hardcore base and what made them dislike it as much as they did.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I know I've come out as being very negative about this game since the reveal of the MP mode's MOBA like qualities, but I want to like it as I have always been a big WH40k and Relic fan. In my effort to be open minded about this, I have a few questions:

For one the capture points sound cool to me, and sounds like a stream lined version of previous systems really. The point I worry about is the giant base laser cannons. So a couple questions about those: Are they representative of the race's tech or is it some "weird other tech" that's part of the map? Minor but I like my 40k lore! Mechanically are they similar in function to the gun turrets in DoW2 or MG bunkers CoH 1&2 that come with your base or are they beefier such that only an end-game army will crack it?

Secondly, and I don't think much about this has been revealed but I'll ask anyways, what about the progression system? How will that not endup unbalanced such that if you don't have everything unlocked you can't beat someone who does? Are players going to endup in situations where it's like "oh I don't have the counter-unit I need, I lose because progression system" or are all they all absolutely side grades? What about tournaments / ladder play, is the progression system present there? Will there be a ranked 1v1 ladder? Sort of tangential but important to me.

I think those two are the big sticking points that made me recoil in reaction to the MP mode's reveal. I still don't like that all the maps seem to have three lanes, but gameplay > realism.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    @Matrias How long have you been with the company? Were you there when Soulstorm was made? That production and community reaction has always interested me and I always wondered about opinions from Relic employees (edit: specifically since it was subcontracted). I know you're probably not even allowed to say if you were, even, but still.

"Nope. Sorry, this isn't an ask me anything"
    Kadoken wrote: »
    This is a rare opportunity.

Do you know why they went with the campaign structure of Retribution rather than do Dark Crusade 2.0?
    sorry, have to decline on the questions. this isn't an ask me anything.

edit: not exactly a rare sighting of me either, seeing as I've been kicking around these boards since 2003 .
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

You were a cast member Matrias? 8-)

writer. edit: for Retribution.

I have a question:

Why exactly did all of the campaigns have that one character that never actually contributes to the plot? Lord Bernn, the Farseer, the Kommando, and half the Chaos cast were conspicuously absent from their respective campaigns.

again, guys, I have to decline on the question answering. sets bad precedent.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    From what has been made public, the turrets and "core" are weird other tech (and my bet is on Necron for that). No idea how tough they are to get past though.

• Options
    So autoturrets in 40k definitely exist (one of the obstacles in Horus Rising in the first chapter was a motion sensing autoturret). What do we assume controls them in dawn of war? Servitors, machine spirits, or just a guy?

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    From what has been made public, the turrets and "core" are weird other tech (and my bet is on Necron for that). No idea how tough they are to get past though.

Having watched some videos it certainly looks like it might be something along those lines. I hadn't seen the core before but actually it looks like the kind of thing they'd all fight over so, whatevs.

Also apparently the "base lasers" are not actually at your base but on lanes leading up to it, and cannot be rebuilt? That's actually rather neat and not what I thought it was, which was a giant "no rush 30min" type of mechanic.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    well yeah it's not an ask me anything, it's just free advertising. I figured if he was working on a game and advertising it constantly on a forum like it's the official facebook page or something, he might be open to answer questions now and again. but yeah it's no big deal, was just curious, and I imagine he is likely muzzled when it comes to talking about anything like that in public, anyway, but there must be some allowance for it considering he responds to any negativity about the game that comes up. engaging people with questions does def. set a bad precedent especially when it takes focus from the new game tho, out April 27th everywhere.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    In regards to the work on DoW1 and Soulstorm, you can gleam some information below. Most of it is multi related, because that's where the issues were.

I am thankful that relic has done a better job of post launch support from the old DoW1 days, because dang, were those dark times. You can read about it here: Link

As someone who never played multi outside of comp stomps, I had no idea how bad it was. Thankfully that Relic seems to be gone now.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So autoturrets in 40k definitely exist (one of the obstacles in Horus Rising in the first chapter was a motion sensing autoturret). What do we assume controls them in dawn of war? Servitors, machine spirits, or just a guy?

"Worry not, Brother Testudius. Your body may be broken, but you shall still continue to serve the Emperor. We shall encase you in armor and provide you with weapons such that your fury shall--"

"Pardon me, m'lord, but we're out of Dreadnought legs."

"...what?"

"Fresh out. Everything from the waist up we have coming out our ears, but we're fresh out of legs. All due respect, but Brother Adlidus has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to mines."

"Surely we have something we can mount Brother Testudius' frame on?"

"I think there's a Lazy Susan in the mess hall..."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    In regards to the work on DoW1 and Soulstorm, you can gleam some information below. Most of it is multi related, because that's where the issues were.

I am thankful that relic has done a better job of post launch support from the old DoW1 days, because dang, were those dark times. You can read about it here: Link

As someone who never played multi outside of comp stomps, I had no idea how bad it was. Thankfully that Relic seems to be gone now.

Thanks, this is good info. Didn't know a lot of that.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

"Nope. Sorry, this isn't an ask me anything"
    This is a rare opportunity.

Do you know why they went with the campaign structure of Retribution rather than do Dark Crusade 2.0?
    sorry, have to decline on the questions. this isn't an ask me anything.

edit: not exactly a rare sighting of me either, seeing as I've been kicking around these boards since 2003 .
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

You were a cast member Matrias? 8-)

writer. edit: for Retribution.

I have a question:

Why exactly did all of the campaigns have that one character that never actually contributes to the plot? Lord Bernn, the Farseer, the Kommando, and half the Chaos cast were conspicuously absent from their respective campaigns.

again, guys, I have to decline on the question answering. sets bad precedent.

I can talk about Soul Storm. Its a little removed and there is some time behind it.

Iron Lore made it, not us, as you know, and we were making DOWII. We didn't have the infrastructure to support the way the community needed it to be supported and Iron Lore was quickly descending into a position where they couldn't either (before they closed and couldn't at all). There was seem feelings of 'whose problem is it anyway?' before our GM decided the game was associated with us and it was on us to patch emergency problems. He put a small team together to do it. It was the right call, as Soul Storm ended up being part of our legacy back catalogue going forward.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Those videos answered alot of my questions. Still not entirely sold but I'm not feeling nearly as negative.

Could be cool!

DarkMecha on