As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I should see if I can find a PS3 copy

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    American kestrels are colorful and fierce little falcons.

american_kestrel_3.jpg

They nest in cavities, and so are attracted to large nest boxes. This means it's easy to find their nests so that their chicks can be banded. Standard practice is to set up a ladder, climb up with a bucket (with a towel in the bottom), pick up the chicks and place them in the bucket, climb down, record measurements and band the chicks, then return to the box. The chicks are fine and the parents don't abandon them (having little sense of smell, they can't be scared off by human stink, and the chicks are fine so why ditch them?) but that doesn't mean it's an easy job. After all, kestrels are raptors, birds of prey. The little ones may not be able to fly but they are not defenseless and have no intention of going down without a fight.

l8UAKVT.jpg

When they feel threatened, like when a giant tries to pluck them out of their nest to put them in a bucket, kestrel chicks roll on their backs to present and use their sharp talons. According to a friend who just went on a kestrel-banding trip, it was rather painful but soooo adorable.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    That kestrel in the top picture gives zero fucks.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    That kestrel in the top picture gives zero fucks.

he wishes he were as chill as a shrike

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There is a Kestrel and a Red Tailed hawk in my neighborhood that have a friendship? as when the birds mostly the swallows start to harass the kestrel it will go off and get it's friend
    But I have seen them hunt together
    Or down by the water chute for a retention pond I have seen the kestrel play with a lizard tossing it against the side of the chute letting it run pouncing on it and doing it all over again

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love kestrels. We have a bunch of bird boxes along our creek for wood ducks, and the fucking starlings ran the ducks off for a few years. Then about 2 years ago a breeding pair of Kestrels moved in to one of the boxes and starting killing and running off the starlings. now we have kestrels and the wood ducks have come back.

Great little birds!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2016
    edit: better elsewhere

tynic on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Behold: the fierce warcry of the mighty hummingbirds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBorPnPmaic

[It's the squeakitysqueakity sounds. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology describes it as "an even chee-dit exchanged between individuals or during chases." Because they chase and fight each other all the time.]

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We watched a flock of hummingbirds up close last year; they would even land on you and oh my stars are they fucking adorable with the peets and the twits and the chkchkchks.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We watched a flock of hummingbirds up close last year; they would even land on you and oh my stars are they fucking adorable with the peets and the twits and the chkchkchks.

what'd you say to me?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sometimes I see hummingbirds around the flowers in front of my apartment building

they're cool birds

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options

*fan frantically*

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I didn't know they built people like that in the 50's

Far out

• Options
    Nic, are you clutching your pearls?

• Options

... sure, that's a good enough euphemism.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLB1g33viNM

• Options
    Hachi machi

• Options
    Three Words: Fab. You. Luss.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

That just raises more questions!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

That just raises more questions!

And other things.

• Options
    One picture of vintage hunks and the goddamn hose needs to get taken out, gonna be extra cold too!

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fuck

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

*fan frantically*

share the fan, Nic.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Holy fuck. Theres an emergency here at the plant.

Cafeteria has no food i can eat and i just poured hot sauce all over my fries thinking it was ketchup

Fffffffffffuuuu

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So you made your fries good instead of making them terrible?

• Options
    Also i meant to post in the job thread

Hmmmm

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

See some amount would be alright

But the sauce is much more liquidy than ketchup and flows more freely. These fries are fucking slathered

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

But the sauce is much more liquidy than ketchup and flows more freely. These fries are fucking slathered

I'm not seeing the issue.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    @Mayabird this is relevant to your interests.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/wild-
    birds-learn-to-recognize-when-humans-ask-for-help-finding-honey/

Tldr:birds and humans with cool mutualistic behavior*. The birds help humans find honey in exchange for easy to access beeswax. Which has been known for a while. The newish thing is that the birds not only have a call specifically for telling humans they want to find a nest, humans have a call for that purpose too.

*even cooler, the birds live as parasites among other birds, similar to cuckoos, so they aren't learning the call from their "parents" but by watching their peers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I'm not seeing the issue.

I think he is bragging about his awesome lunch, Caulk.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Because everything about the video was made to make you feel sad

It is a sad video

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I can't tell if I want the last VCR to be the the pinnacle of VCR excellence or just a piece of shit

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The Dewey Decimal code is a ludicrously complicated structure designed to contain and order the entire sum of human knowledge. Like any baroque structure, it has some odd corners to reward the explorer.

If it's been a while since you've been to the nonfiction section of your public library, the first number in a Dewey cutter represents a broad classification of knowledge, getting more specific as you go right. For example, 615.856 breaks down as:
    600: Technology
    610: Medicine and Health
    615: Pharmacology and therapeutics
    615.8: Specific therapies and kinds of therapies
    615.85: Miscellaneous therapies
    615.856: Controversial and spurious therapies; quackery

"Quackery" is one of my favorite subject headings in the entire system.

One weird quirk is that the Byzantine Empire is considered to be part of European history, while the Ottoman Empire and Turkey are considered part of Asian history. This means that in many libraries, a book about Constantinople will be shelved in 949.5, while a book about Istanbul will be in 956.1, potentially many shelves away and with all of Chinese, Japanese, and Indian history in between. What I'm saying is that Mehmed II really fucked things up for librarians.

At the very end of the Dewey Decimal system is a section that has never, in the opinion of most catalogers, been correctly used yet: 999.
    900: History & Geography
    990: History of Other Areas (mostly isolated islands that are not closely associated with a larger polity, and also Antarctica)
    999: History of Extraterrestrial Worlds

The thing about history, in the Dewey sense, is that only people can create it. To the best of our knowledge, the only things that have occurred on every other planet but Earth is some combination of astronomy, geology, meteorology, and robotics. At some point in the future, either humans will set foot on Mars for the first time or SETI will detect strong evidence of intelligent alien life. There will be a flood of books by scientists, scholars, pundits and crackpots, all trying to fit this astonishing new development into the context of the human story, all trying to figure out what it means for our future and our definition of what it means to be human.

Alone in all the turmoil, the librarians will know exactly what to do.

They've been expecting this.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.