As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] New Adventure in Karazahn coming up?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Warrior seems like the absolute worst class for Yogg.

Hm. Yeah, it's gotta be up there. Where else does Yogg not really fit, I wonder.

I tried a spell-heavy mage with Yogg for a week or two after OG release. It had absolutely no win condition, Yogg merely added to the absurdity of the deck. So, Yogg was surprisingly bad there. Obviously he works in tempo mage, but I think that's for the same reason he's good in druid--few/no board clears, and Yogg resets when in a losing situation.

My first thought is that paladin would also be quite bad, but maybe not? There are some solid cheap paladin spells, equality, consecrate, the buffs. Maybe there is some sort of tempo paladin no one has tried yet? But early paladin minions are so bad now.

Selfless Hero is actually pretty good and argent protector is still fine. I'm just constantly on tilt playing paladin because whenever I have her turn 1 it's against a druid that just hero powers her.

I like Selfless Hero a lot, she's definitely a good card. Getting value out of her can be difficult, but she's anywhere from good to great on turn 1. Even forcing coin-hero power from druid/mage is pretty good value. But it feels bad because there's no fantastic follow up.

Makes you realize just how good (coughOPcough) minibot really is.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I am quite salty that Hotform gets credit for creating Tempo Yogg Mage when I posted a decklist on this very site the day that WotOG released. /pout

did you get rank 1 legend with it? :P

it's happened to a lot of us; I made undertaker priest way before people realized it was really good. The oddball is Howl's secret paladin, because he made a fairly popular reddit post which was reposted right before standard hit and the repost got like 2k upvotes.

Get your logic outtamyface. I want pats on the back from internet strangers. [/s]

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I often feel dejected when making decks. "Oh look at this super cool unique thing I made, no one's ever played this before!" Except that is never true. Not once.

A truly unique deck construction is all but impossible when you have such a huge critical mass of players.

• Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    I wonder what those undiscovered Priest decks might be that Brode hinted at. A midrange deathrattle archetype maybe? Or a shadowpriest variant with Yogg? :)

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    1wg23ymqmv5x.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    djFindus wrote: »
    I wonder what those undiscovered Priest decks might be that Brode hinted at. A midrange deathrattle archetype maybe? Or a shadowpriest variant with Yogg? :)

I don't necessarily think Ben Brode was saying like "oh man you guys, there's secret good Priest decks, you guys don't even know! *SLY WINK*"

I think it was more just that Ben Brode was saying, "hey, it's entirely possible that maybe there's untapped potential within the class, maybe there isn't, but the possibility could be there." I don't think Brode was, yknow, "hinting" at anything, it's not like Team 5 has secret in-house Priest decks that are just DESTROYING the ladder or anything.

Like, Yogg Druid wasn't even a thing until people started tinkering with the idea. And lo and behold, it's a fucking good deck! I think Brode is just trying to get people to push the boundaries and think outside the box. If people didn't think outside the box Yogg Druid wouldn't have even been a thing.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    djFindus wrote: »

I don't necessarily think Ben Brode was saying like "oh man you guys, there's secret good Priest decks, you guys don't even know! *SLY WINK*"

I think it was more just that Ben Brode was saying, "hey, it's entirely possible that maybe there's untapped potential within the class, maybe there isn't, but the possibility could be there." I don't think Brode was, yknow, "hinting" at anything, it's not like Team 5 has secret in-house Priest decks that are just DESTROYING the ladder or anything.

Like, Yogg Druid wasn't even a thing until people started tinkering with the idea. And lo and behold, it's a fucking good deck! I think Brode is just trying to get people to push the boundaries and think outside the box. If people didn't think outside the box Yogg Druid wouldn't have even been a thing.

Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't really think that either but I guess what I wanted to get at is that the devs must see potential in certain cards that the community doesn't. And while I think you're right that he's just trying to get people to experiment more and have fun with the new cards, I do think they have some idea of cards that did good in testing that haven't made an impact in the game yet. I'm just curious what cards or combination of cards that might be.

My guess is that there is more to be explored with Embrace the shadows and Shadowpriest in general.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's getting real tiresome losing to people making obvious mistakes because my opening hand is a pile of shit.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Also I think part of the problem with Priest in general is that their Classic/Basic cards are trashcan quality.

http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=0.5?filter=cs=2#gallery:0+5-10-9+1
    http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=0.5?filter=cs=3#gallery:0+5-10-9+1

Like okay, what Basic/Classic Priest cards are good? Cleric, PW:S, SW:P, SW:D, Holy Nova, Auchenai, Cabal. That's 7 cards, with Auchenai being a "maybe" (and also has to be paired with Circle). PW:S is "okay", it's not amazing, but it's a cheap spell that provides cycle and a decent buff. Cleric is a good draw engine, good one drop.

But let's compare vs say, Warrior:

http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=0.1?filter=cs=2#gallery:0+5-10-9+1
    http://www.hearthhead.com/cards=0.1?filter=cs=3#gallery:0+5-10-9+1

Holy fuckin' shit look at all those good goddamn cards. Whirlwind, Execute, Shield Slam, Battle Rage, Slam, Win Axe, Frothing, Arathi Weaponsmith, Kor'kron, Arcanite, Brawl, Gorehowl, Grommash. And that's not even counting the more niche cards that are still good in certain decks, like Upgrade/Heroic Strike/Mortal Strike (great in Aggro) or Shield Block/Armorsmith.

You can look at practically all the other classes and it's pretty clear Priest's "evergreen set" is super lackluster in comparison. Priest has to gain a new identity with every goddamn expansion because of this.

Control Priest was kinda in during GvG due to Lightbomb, Velen's Chosen, and Vol'jin.

Dragon Priest became a thing during TGT/post-BRM due to Twilight Whelp and Wyrmrest Agent.

Priest gained some additional tools during LoE which wouldn't be fully realized until OG; Excavated Evil, Museum Curator, Entomb.

And finally OG brought us some stuff with varying success rates. Embrace the Shadow/Forbidden Shaping fit nicely into Control, Shifting Shade/Darkshire Alchemist are nice midrange-y minions that saw a fair amount of play in various decks, Darkmender and Acolyte were some nice C'Thun cards, even if C'Thun Priest isn't exactly the best. Dragon Priest got better with OG and so that's kinda where we're at right now.

It's gonna keep happening this way, though. Each new expac and adventure is going to define Priest for the year to come because their classic/basic cards ain't great. You could argue Priest doesn't really have an identity outside of these expacs/adventures. Priest has a lot of weird janky cards in the base set; Mind Vision, Inner Fire, Divine Spirit, Lightwell, Shadowform, Mindgames, Mass Dispel, Lightspawn, Temple Enforcer...

I'd argue that they need to shift some cards into the base set. I dunno.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Changed my kleptop priest up a bit and added N'zoth.

Opponent Rogue dropped Sylvanas.
    I can imagine he was fuming after I casted convert and Entomb on it.
    ^_^'

That game I played around 5 or 6 Sylvanas? Even had an extra one in my hand I never played.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Yeah, probably. Alot of the good priest cards are clunky and it's hard to get a good curve in standard right now due to no good 3 drop (unless you are playing dragon priest).

Thing is, in wild it is probably the best control class and definately top tier. Lightbomb, Deathlord and Sludge belcher make that much of a difference. I think priest really needs good taunt minions, a 3 drop with death rattle and high health would go a long way. Warrior got Bloodhoof brave, Priest should get a 2/6 taunter with a DR. And Lightbomb or an equivalent probably needs to be classic.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    or, you know, make a small core set with the key theme cards (fireball/frostbolt, shadow words, win axe/taskmaster, flame imp/coil, earth shock/fire ele, assassin's blade/eviscerate, consecration/argent protector, unleash/kill command, wild growth/swipe). then shape all the classes in expansions (doesn't need to be radically, slight variations on older themes are fine) to mix things up, and it's also fine to reprint some old cards in new sets. So if you want to include water ele in your new set because mage is getting more freeze matters cards, just stick it into the set so you can open it in packs of the new set and it's standard legal.

you know, HOW A FORMAT SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also I think part of the problem with Priest in general is that their Classic/Basic cards are trashcan quality.

Like okay, what Basic/Classic Priest cards are good? Cleric, PW:S, SW:P, SW:D, Holy Nova, Auchenai, Cabal. That's 7 cards, with Auchenai being a "maybe" (and also has to be paired with Circle). PW:S is "okay", it's not amazing, but it's a cheap spell that provides cycle and a decent buff. Cleric is a good draw engine, good one drop.

Holy fuckin' shit look at all those good goddamn cards. Whirlwind, Execute, Shield Slam, Battle Rage, Slam, Win Axe, Frothing, Arathi Weaponsmith, Kor'kron, Arcanite, Brawl, Gorehowl, Grommash. And that's not even counting the more niche cards that are still good in certain decks, like Upgrade/Heroic Strike/Mortal Strike (great in Aggro) or Shield Block/Armorsmith.

You can look at practically all the other classes and it's pretty clear Priest's "evergreen set" is super lackluster in comparison. Priest has to gain a new identity with every goddamn expansion because of this.

Control Priest was kinda in during GvG due to Lightbomb, Velen's Chosen, and Vol'jin.

Dragon Priest became a thing during TGT/post-BRM due to Twilight Whelp and Wyrmrest Agent.

Priest gained some additional tools during LoE which wouldn't be fully realized until OG; Excavated Evil, Museum Curator, Entomb.

And finally OG brought us some stuff with varying success rates. Embrace the Shadow/Forbidden Shaping fit nicely into Control, Shifting Shade/Darkshire Alchemist are nice midrange-y minions that saw a fair amount of play in various decks, Darkmender and Acolyte were some nice C'Thun cards, even if C'Thun Priest isn't exactly the best. Dragon Priest got better with OG and so that's kinda where we're at right now.

It's gonna keep happening this way, though. Each new expac and adventure is going to define Priest for the year to come because their classic/basic cards ain't great. You could argue Priest doesn't really have an identity outside of these expacs/adventures. Priest has a lot of weird janky cards in the base set; Mind Vision, Inner Fire, Divine Spirit, Lightwell, Shadowform, Mindgames, Mass Dispel, Lightspawn, Temple Enforcer...

I'm going to say something that may very well show me to just be an awful player, but I'm going to say that I find Northshire Cleric to not be as good a Priest card as she used to be. She seems to die to a lot of early drops nowadays (I wouldn't put her down first turn without a PW:S available), and to get the card draw in the first place, costs a fair bit of tempo.

Minions don't seem to hang around long enough for me to get a decent amount of card draw either.

Honestly, if feels as though the games where she does nothing, either in terms of being removed, or she arrives too late into the game, etc, seem to outnumber those in which she does draw me a bunch of cards. I don't know if you're just better off getting your card draw from elsewhere (eg: Azure drakes, Powerword Shield, thoughsteal, shifting shade), and perhaps replacing her with a better early drop (or maybe even Forbidden Shaping).

/prepares to be called a noob.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd be down for a system that rotates fully. No ever green cards at all, like how Magic does it. I'd also love a standard only arena.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Does Brode have an official statement on why Rogue isnt allowed to win?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I had a really odd game against a druid as dragon priest. He played all the usual things; roots, wrath, etc... then he started to play dragons and it all got really weird. I thought he must have Malygos in there so felt compelled to keep my entomb for that, but then Ysera turned up and there was no way I was leaving that on the board.

So I'm thinking I'm now on a bit of a clock, as I now didn't have in hand a way to remove Maly, at which point the druid put down new Deathwing. So I put mine down, which he eventually trades to put down 3 of my own dragons (azure drake, scaled nightmare, chillmaw) and nothing comes from his hand. Then he draws old Deathwing and wipes my board (and I have nothing in hand that can deal with him).

Fortunately, he was on low enough health that meant he had to continually trade, and once I was able to put down 2 minions it was game over, but

I'm going to say something that may very well show me to just be an awful player, but I'm going to say that I find Northshire Cleric to not be as good a Priest card as she used to be. She seems to die to a lot of early drops nowadays (I wouldn't put her down first turn without a PW:S available), and to get the card draw in the first place, costs a fair bit of tempo.

Minions don't seem to hang around long enough for me to get a decent amount of card draw either.

Honestly, if feels as though the games where she does nothing, either in terms of being removed, or she arrives too late into the game, etc, seem to outnumber those in which she does draw me a bunch of cards. I don't know if you're just better off getting your card draw from elsewhere (eg: Azure drakes, Powerword Shield, thoughsteal, shifting shade), and perhaps replacing her with a better early drop (or maybe even Forbidden Shaping).

/prepares to be called a noob.

No, you know what? You're not wrong, man.

And I don't think that's a statement on the quality of Northshire, I think that's a statement on the quality of other classes's one drops.

Tunnel Trogg is bullshit. Mana Wyrm is bullshit. Flame Imp is bullshit. Any 1 drop in Shaman + Flametongue Totem or Abusive is bullshit.

Fiery Bat's deathrattle landing on your Priest after you trade in so you can't draw is bullshit.

COIN TOTEM GOLEM TO DESTROY YOUR DREAMS.

In a world of 1/1s or 2/1s, she's great. Trade out, heal up, draw card. But 1 drops are too fucking good these days. I find that I'm playing out Northshire as a 1 drop less and less. I tend to save her for later on when I can get a value trade and heal up after, behind a Taunt or something.

You're seeing a lot of lists remove her, or at least only run 1.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    northshire isn't really a one drop, it's a cheap card you hope to be able to fit in when you're healing a minion anyway

I haven't played priest in ages so this isn't me doubting that the card is not as good as it used to be, I believe you all, but it's not really meant to compete as a one drop

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I don't think she's meant to be played as a tempo minion though.

But yeah, that means priest doesn't have a good 1-drop short of that 2-3 dragon that requires moar dragons.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dropping Cleric on Turn 1 is almost always guaranteed to result in not getting to use her effect, unless you're playing against Paladin.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Dropping Cleric on Turn 1 is almost always guaranteed to result in not getting to use her effect, unless you're playing against Paladin.

That wasn't always the case though. It was pretty common to see priests dropping Northshire cleric on turn 1 not that long ago. edit: there's just a critical mass of early drops played by several popular classes that completely destroy t1 cleric.

Even in the days of Secretkeeper-Coin-Get Down followed by Minibot on T2, dropping a cleric on t1 was going to get SOME value--trigger a secret, draw a card, give SOME board presence.

I don't play priest but it seems to me Northshire Cleric is worse than it's ever been.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Or against another priest.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular

That wasn't always the case though. It was pretty common to see priests dropping Northshire cleric on turn 1 not that long ago. edit: there's just a critical mass of early drops played by several popular classes that completely destroy t1 cleric.

Even in the days of Secretkeeper-Coin-Get Down followed by Minibot on T2, dropping a cleric on t1 was going to get SOME value--trigger a secret, draw a card, give SOME board presence.

I don't play priest but it seems to me Northshire Cleric is worse than it's ever been.

It was more common in the past because the threat of Velen's Chosen. Depending on the match up, you may or may not need the draw from Northshire. When you don't need the draw, if it dies to a 2 mana spell, its not the end of the world. And if you keep it alive with PW: Shield / Velen's Chosen you may have just won the game right there.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Or against another priest.

false

SW: P

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    velens was just such a good card

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    I just have to say that when A) I'm bored and feel like goofing, or B) I have the daily quest to cast a bunch of spells, I play Rogue Yogg.
    It looks like miracle rogue, but it doesn't have any finisher other than Yogg.
    Well the last game I Thistle Tea'd into 3 Yoggs.
    Then was able to bounce one of them back into my hand twice.
    I ended up losing the game, but playing 5 Yoggs back to back to back to back to back was the most fun I can ever even imagine having with this game.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    Also note that if the opponent uses a removal spell (SWP, Wrath, backstab) on your cleric then that's technically a win for you.

It's a one-cost card that doesn't mean much in tempo or otherwise.

Again it's based on the deck you run but if you have her in your deck it means you have minions that she was meant for the utility and now that removal is gone.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

It still is in Wild. I have to remind myself to clear every body I can when feasible if I am matched up against a Priest.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

It still is in Wild. I have to remind myself to clear every body I can when feasible if I am matched up against a Priest.

The lack of Velen's in Standard also means I have to remind myself to ignore Museum Curators.

It's a fuckin' 1/2, what is it gonna do? Nothing.

Whereas before that 1/2 could grow into a terrifying 3/6.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Also note that if the opponent uses a removal spell (SWP, Wrath, backstab) on your cleric then that's technically a win for you.

It's a one-cost card that doesn't mean much in tempo or otherwise.

Again it's based on the deck you run but if you have her in your deck it means you have minions that she was meant for the utility and now that removal is gone.

I disagree. I find Priest's effectiveness heavily tied to its ability to draw cards because so many of its turns involve waiting to apply the right tool.

• Options
    True priest is a more reactive hero but I really don't see the cleric being all that pivotal in any priest deck.

Only ever in top-decking situations have I seen her being key in making a comeback but those are pretty rare.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    I dusted some stuff and crafted Thalnos and Yogg to play Yogg Tempo Mage to tide me over until I can craft Fandral and Malygos and go full Yogg Druid. So far I've played Yogg twice. First time he wipes opponents board then stand against darkness into evolve :) Second time he goes Twisting nether into ... stand against darkness and competitive spirit!

Thanks Yogg!

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Opened a Golden Forbidden Flame today. All I need is an Arcane Blast and Tome of Spells and I will be able to play the Reno Yogg deck from Kibler. Can't wait!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Opened a Golden Forbidden Flame today. All I need is an Arcane Blast and Tome of Spells and I will be able to play the Reno Yogg deck from Kibler. Can't wait!
    I played a lot of Reno mage pre standard and it just doesn't really work now without duplicate, healbot, and broken scientist. You have all this removal but not really a way to win the game.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I played a lot of Reno mage pre standard and it just doesn't really work now without duplicate, healbot, and broken scientist. You have all this removal but not really a way to win the game.

The one Kibler's running has Reno, Yogg, and Elise to try and dig up win conditions. It's probably not really a good deck, but it's the fun kind of gimmick deck that will have dramatic moments that Kibler likes to stream.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally crafted a Yogg and played some games with him. My first Yogg punished me so hard, by casting the spells I needed him to cast, just at my face instead of the opponents. I guess it's because I was an unbeliever for so long.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Finally crafted a Yogg and played some games with him. My first Yogg punished me so hard, by casting the spells I needed him to cast, just at my face instead of the opponents. I guess it's because I was an unbeliever for so long.

You need to sacrifice a mage deck to play yogg and his followers for 10 games before he believes your sincerity and loyal following.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Secrets Paladin is back and yikes. Maybe it never left.

what the hell am I supposed to do once they drop mysterious challenger? I get turn 7 to reconsider my life before Tirion Fordring drops.

Mysterious Challenger on turn 6 with a deck full of secrets just feels like an auto concede.

i guess aggro shaman can beat it. :rotate:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Why did this zoo lock play hellfire

Whyyy

This discussion has been closed.