As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 3.0] Justice Rains From Above!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Eh, the low tick rate is not so much a competitive specific concern as a general increase in the amount of deaths/hits that feel unpleasant, along with a slight loss of fidelity when trying to e.g. last second backtrack. Combined with their "shooter favored" philosophy and it is probably subtly noticeable* though not as bad as people complain about.

*killcams with wacky Hanzo hits or Widow sort of flailing her crosshair over you and hitting are the most obvious.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    CorriganX wrote: »
    https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/CorriganX-1802

Behold my stats, and weep at how few kills my mercy gets.

Huh, that's a neat thing. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Delphinidaes-1810

I didn't realize I played THAT much Zarya

Turns out I play Winston more than any other character, with Symmetra second. Aiming is for suckers.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mercy needs something extra, health or benefiting from her own healz beam because no matter how good I'm playing or how bad they're playing I'm just dead over half the time and so is the other teams mercy.

related, people don't seem to be aware Tracer doesn't hop into some other dimension the moment she leaves their immediate field of view. I mean it makes playing her far easier but it seems like a pretty rudimentary thing...object permanence and all that.

The absolute last thing Mercy needs is a buff. She's fragile, but she's got mobility to compensate for that and she can also do most of her work when out of harm's way.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    The low tick rate is responsible for a few "behind cover" deaths, and at this point I don't know if Blizzard has even addresses those concerns. Realistically speaking, unless you're in competitive grade team/matches, it's not much of a concern as of yet.

widowmaker is pretty laughable because of it, it seems like half of widowmaker's killcams are her getting credit for missed headshots

at a high level it should actually matter less since you can set a higher tick rate in custom games, which is where league play is going to happen

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Playing reinhardt can be pretty frustrating when your team wants to hide behind your shield but doesn't want to actually shoot anyone running up to melee/damage you, and you can't put your shield down because 3 other people are shooting at your team

But then i kill someone with fire strike and charge 3 people into a tiny corner, pound them flat, and it's like "who's laughing now"

Or when your teammates do help, and you walk up to a bastion pouring hot lead into your shield only to get murdered by your grateful teammates before your shield goes down and the bastion didn't have the sense to back off before

Orphane on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    CorriganX wrote: »
    https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/CorriganX-1802

Behold my stats, and weep at how few kills my mercy gets.

Huh, that's a neat thing. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Delphinidaes-1810

I didn't realize I played THAT much Zarya

Where I looked at it and realized it only listed 20 heroes.

Apparently I haven't played Zarya since the beta where I couldn't make her work. Since I had the same issue with D Va and just tried her again last night to put up a 28 elimination round I think maybe I should give the Russian another chance.

Zarya is interesting because when you first start playing her she feel like paper hitting with a wet noodle. Once you get the timing of her shields down though, and how easy it is to build charge, she becomes a nigh unkillable wrecking ball.

One key thing to not forget is that half of her 400 hp is shields, which means all you have to do is duck into cover for 3 seconds and you'll get 200 hp back.

Also her projected shields block 200 damage, but will bock an entire hit, so you can shield a D.Va ult for instance and survive. I love shielding a teammate and myself right as a Junkrat Kill Tyre is incoming.

Also also, Shields will remove stuff like Mei's slow so use that to increase your engage time vs Mei. Just be aware that without a personal shield Mei will likely wreck you, but if you have your personal shield you can typically kill her or force her to iceblock pretty easily.

Oh yeah, I mostly play Mei and it's been annoying as Zarya has gone from my "Walking Ice Pop" list as people started out to my "Maybe I should go somewhere else" list as people get the hang of the shields.

Haha, yeah. Once I learned that the shield blocks the freeze Mei became my favorite bullying target. A lot of Mei players have gotten complacent and when Cherno Alpha a good Zarya shows up Mei players tend to go into WAIT WHAT mode.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    the key with getting your team to aggress with Reinhardt is to walk forward

they'll figure it out

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    The low tick rate is responsible for a few "behind cover" deaths, and at this point I don't know if Blizzard has even addresses those concerns. Realistically speaking, unless you're in competitive grade team/matches, it's not much of a concern as of yet.
    Roe wrote: »
    I have a few questions about this game until I buy.

Could anyone fill me in on the stuff below?

I heard there's a 20% tic rate, which lags the game so sniping is off mark. There are complaints about the game becoming boring after hours of play.
    I hear tank stacking completely overpowers the other team. There is a complaint about lack of content with only 4 maps.

There are some misconceptions here. The "tickrate" (i.e. the simulation rate) is set at 60Hz (which is synchronous to the data send rate to the server). The 20Hz that Roe is concerned about is from the receive rate from the server. And the whole concern is a bit moot since the send and receive rates are set to 60Hz when you play custom games (as opposed to quick play). Because the precedent is already set for syncing up the send and receive rates in custom games, I have a feeling that Ranked Play might also have either a synced rate or an enhanced receive rate (maybe something like 30-45, if not the 60).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My accuracy with Pharah is 55 percent and I'm kinda proud of that considering all the spam I do

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Am I the only one that thinks Transcendence should not only heal/shield whoever has stepped into the iris but kinda fuck up enemies in the aoe at the same time to keep with that harmony/discord theme and give Zen another option?

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    There's also what Blizz said about killcam feedback looking weird because of asynchronicity. So like, the Widow (for example) did make the shot but it looks like she didn't.

I turn off killcam, myself. Yes, occasionally I wish I could see the player location, but mostly it annoys the shit out of me.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    kill cam is great because it lets you know when you die to someone who was literally not aiming at you
    *accidentally blinks in front of a hook meant for a teammate, is a hero*

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Also the worst kill cams are when a widowmaker misses 2 shots on you and then lands a lucky charged headshot+bodyshot in the span of like 3 seconds and you're just like "really"

Orphane on
  • Options
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    There's also what Blizz said about killcam feedback looking weird because of asynchronicity. So like, the Widow (for example) did make the shot but it looks like she didn't.

I turn off killcam, myself. Yes, occasionally I wish I could see the player location, but mostly it annoys the shit out of me.

You might want to keep the killcam on. Apparently, now that the game's been out for a week, hacks are starting to make an appearance.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    kill cam is great because it lets you know when you die to someone who was literally not aiming at you
    *accidentally blinks in front of a hook meant for a teammate, is a hero*

*cough* Hanzo

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Mercy needs something extra, health or benefiting from her own healz beam because no matter how good I'm playing or how bad they're playing I'm just dead over half the time and so is the other teams mercy.

related, people don't seem to be aware Tracer doesn't hop into some other dimension the moment she leaves their immediate field of view. I mean it makes playing her far easier but it seems like a pretty rudimentary thing...object permanence and all that.

You reminded me of this. Blink and you'll miss it.

https://gfycat.com/ShoddyWhisperedAracari

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I heard there's a 20% tic rate, which lags the game so sniping is off mark. There are complaints about the game becoming boring after hours of play.
    I hear tank stacking completely overpowers the other team. There is a complaint about lack of content with only 4 maps.

1) The tic rate isn't quite right, It's 20.8hz not 20% and given how much bitching there is on this thread about how snipers are god tier and unable to miss, it's not really a problem unless you are sensitive to that sort of thing or used to how it works in other games where there is a higher ticrate

2) This second point is entirely subjective, but given the inaccuracy of the first point I would wager you are getting your info from a biased or at the very least incorrect source. Personally I've been playing the games for months in closed beta, and constantly now since release, It's also shaping up to be quite the monumental game at large as well it would seem by how popular it is currently.

3) Not even remotely, there are many ways to deal with tanks, and even with multiple tanks. You don't actually very often see "tank stacking" but instead you'll see maybe a couple tanks, couple supports, and then your more offensive oriented heroes. This shifts even more at higher level of play, but tank stacking itself is not a problem, especially since regardless of what team comp the opposing team has you can always change your own comp mid match to adjust.

4) There are far more than 4 maps.

Where are you getting your info from? Thus far pretty much every point you've mentioned has been at best slightly inaccurate and at worst just horribly wrong.

I would suggest checking out some vids of the game, maybe catch a few streamers and see if it looks good to you. With the variety of hero choices I'd be shocked if you didn't find at least a few that you liked to play as if you like playing FPS games at all, they pretty much cover all the archetypes.

The game has a low TTK and low respawn rate and in general is very fast paced with a lot of vertical mobility. It's also entirely focused on objective control as there is no deathmatch or team deathmatch to be seen (nor will there likely be in the future per Blizzard) If that's not really your thing in an FPS you might consider giving it a pass. If that sounds like fun, then I would highly recommend you pick it up, as you are not likely to be disappointed.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hey guys, kind of convoluted question here:

Right now, I am playing on console. I do have a semi-recent Battle.net ID from when I briefly tried HOTS about a year ago. My original Blizz account from vanilla WoW is long lost in the ether.

If I link my console with my Bnet ID, do I lose any of my unlocks?

If I have cash on my (pc) Bnet account, can I use it to buy loot boxes on console?

Is there any benefit to linking the Bnet ID in the first place?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

1) The tic rate isn't quite right, It's 20.8hz not 20% and given how much bitching there is on this thread about how snipers are god tier and unable to miss, it's not really a problem unless you are sensitive to that sort of thing or used to how it works in other games where there is a higher ticrate

Just a correction for you Delph: the ticrate is 60Hz...it's the receive rate that's 20hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHO6Ky-w0UQ

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »

You might want to keep the killcam on. Apparently, now that the game's been out for a week, hacks are starting to make an appearance.

Yeah, I never ever turn off kill cams in games for that reason. They do a great job of unveiling bullshit players. Also, whenever I get booped I think it's hilarious and love watching my death just for comedy purposes.

Unsurprisingly, Zarya accounts for about half my matches. <3 Though my W/L ratio is garbo and around 45%. Oh well. That'll get better as I learn the game better and can start carying teams.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I'd have quit for the night after that one. Jesus.

re: Mercy, it is frustrating how much squisher she is than Lucio due to his tiny little hitbox and movement speed or healing he's giving himself. I'd like her self regen to start a little faster but besides that it's mostly up to your team to protect you from the Winston who dove on your face for the 4th time McCree please turn around and shoot him McCree please help oh god.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

they'll figure it out

I wish that were true. My biggest pet peeves as Reinhardt are when my team lets a McCree walk straight up to me and through my shield (which I can't drop because of incoming fire), when my teammates insist on running IN FRONT OF THE DAMN SHIELD, and when I walk forward and there is no one beside me protecting the rear and flanks (and instead chasing some random reaper or tracer because death match?).

It happens way too often even at high levels.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

they'll figure it out

OR charge through the enemy team, knocking them all over the place then smashing them all over the place.

Then at least 1 person on your team has moved forward :D

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

I mean wow what luck/skill. He watched the trail and knew where to aim it the luck in timing. I'd have given mad props. That's one of those deaths where you rage until you see it and then just shut up because it's a great play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Transcendence should not only heal/shield whoever has stepped into the iris but kinda fuck up enemies in the aoe at the same time to keep with that harmony/discord theme and give Zen another option?

It would be cool, maybe like a slow or preventing enemy healing as he forces enemies to contemplate infinity

• Options
    ToyD wrote: »

I mean wow what luck/skill. He watched the trail and knew where to aim it the luck in timing. I'd have given mad props. That's one of those deaths where you rage until you see it and then just shut up because it's a great play.

Not to cross the streams, but I think in another thread someone would call that "Nonplussed"

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I have kill cam off, and will follow teammates and yell at them when someone's coming up behind them in the few seconds before I spawn

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Just a correction for you Delph: the ticrate is 60Hz...it's the receive rate that's 20hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHO6Ky-w0UQ

That is good to know! I think most people just refer to the whole thing as "tic rate" but in this case the important bit is the asynchronous rate between the send rate and the receive rate.

That video was very informative though thank you for posting it! The VoiP info was awesome as well, I was not aware that Blizzard masks the ip address of players using the VoiP system where other big titles does not., plus their VoiP lag is really low which is awesome.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »

It would be cool, maybe like a slow or preventing enemy healing as he forces enemies to contemplate infinity

yeah it'd be like "STEP... into the iris.....no, not you assholes." And they melt like the nazis that opened the ark of the covenant.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

that doesn't make any sense

why wouldn't the killcam show what they saw

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/blizzard-sometimes-those-overwatch-players-you-think-are-cheating-are-just-really-good/

“Our in-game camera system does not always play back footage at the same fidelity as real-time gameplay (this loss in fidelity applies to the killcam, Plays of the Game, Highlights, and — to a lesser extent — the spectator camera as well). This can sometimes result in a player’s aim appearing more snappy or less fluid in playback than it did in-game.”

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Because then it would need to record on their client, and upload it to the server, then download it to your client.

FPS games only function as well as they do because a lot of assumptions are made in the networking. The vid posted points this out pretty well.

I don't think ANYTHING online is 1:1 on all sides otherwise it would be an absolute mess performance wise for most parties. Maybe some fighting games did, and they were pretty horrible.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I'm catching up with this thread from the holiday weekend, but I wanted to mention something weird that happened to me. I got dropped in a group of dudebros. After the game ended, someone mentioned glory holes and they all started making lame glory hole jokes. I decide to troll them and say "what's a glory hole?". I immediately get the expected response of "Ask your mother", but then something unexpected happened. Then entire group was simultaneously replaced with new, different players. I wasn't kicked, because this was at the end game medal screen, and the new players and I proceeded to the next round with no interruption.

Does this game have some sexual harassment monitor or something, or am I just imagining things?

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I'm catching up with this thread from the holiday weekend, but I wanted to mention something weird that happened to me. I got dropped in a group of dudebros. After the game ended, someone mentioned glory holes and they all started making lame glory hole jokes. I decide to troll them and say "what's a glory hole?". I immediately get the expected response of "Ask your mother", but then something unexpected happened. Then entire group was simultaneously replaced with new, different players. I wasn't kicked, because this was at the end game medal screen, and the new players and I proceeded to the next round with no interruption.

Does this game have some sexual harassment monitor or something, or am I just imagining things?

Enemy team lacked players likely, or it was simply rebalancing. I doubt anyone was listening in on your conversation and stepped in.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I find that without in game voice enabled the player base is very friendly. Lots of GGs and positive comments about good plays. Even when an opposing team member is being a superbly annoying Winston/Tracer harasser it's usually "Wow, great map control".

I have no idea how things change if I enable voice and I'm afraid to try.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Hey guys, kind of convoluted question here:

Right now, I am playing on console. I do have a semi-recent Battle.net ID from when I briefly tried HOTS about a year ago. My original Blizz account from vanilla WoW is long lost in the ether.

If I link my console with my Bnet ID, do I lose any of my unlocks?

If I have cash on my (pc) Bnet account, can I use it to buy loot boxes on console?

Is there any benefit to linking the Bnet ID in the first place?

Well, The main reason is cause you can sometimes get freebies for other blizzard games, like the baby winston pet in WoW, or the free tracer hero in HOTS, so keeping them all on the same account does have merit...Also, it makes using an authenticator easier (just download the free phone app) and your account more secure. As for the linking, are you saying you have two different battle.net ids? one for console and one for pc? I'm not sure if blizzard does merges like that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I find that without in game voice enabled the player base is very friendly. Lots of GGs and positive comments about good plays. Even when an opposing team member is being a superbly annoying Winston/Tracer harasser it's usually "Wow, great map control".

I have no idea how things change if I enable voice and I'm afraid to try.

I haven't had terrible experiences yet other than the standard ggezmode stuff by the random idiot when they win. My only mute that guy times have been because someone doesn't have PTT on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Probably just coincidence. Blizzard may know if you are male or female somehow (if you filled out a questionarre but I really doubt its filters are that good or WoW would be a much quieter place suddenly.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    cubantypercubantyper Registered User regular
    So I'm on Hanamura earlier today on the attack and (re)discovered that people fail to look up. As McCree, I manage to pass through the deathgate and ascend to the walkway overlooking the courtyard, watching the firefight with nary an opposing eye spotting me.

I told them the time, and four enemies dropped - it was glorious!

This discussion has been closed.