As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nasal surgery

DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
Come the end of June I'll be having some nasal surgery. Endoscopic sinus surgery to drain some polyps, septoplasty, and turbinoplasty. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these surgeries, and could provide any information as to what to expect, beyond what the doctor already has.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Come the end of June I'll be having some nasal surgery. Endoscopic sinus surgery to drain some polyps, septoplasty, and turbinoplasty. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these surgeries, and could provide any information as to what to expect, beyond what the doctor already has.

I have!

Just the polyps though and I was never put under. For me, there was extreme discomfort during the entire thing. I should note that I was never in pain, but man, being awake while a long assed hose is jammed up your nose is NOT fun. After it was taken out, it took maybe an hour or two for the feeling of "ugh, I just had a long assed hose jammed up my nose" to go away.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Moved to H/A

• Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    I had a corrective septoplasty and turbinoplasty last year.

Prepare to feel shitty for a couple of weeks - I'm not sure how much time your doctor has told you to take off work, but I was told two weeks which was about right. The first week was the worst, because your nose will be swollen and full of gunk it makes sleeping difficult, and what sleep you do get isn't particularly restful, but after the first week you should get over that. You'll experience a lot of bleeding out your nose for the first few days - afterwards that should calm down, but you should expect to still have bits of blood coming out for up to a month.

Your nose is likely going to be quite sensitive to touch for a while, not necessarily painful, but it'll certainly feel weird.

The most annoying thing, that they didn't fully tell me about, is that you're going to get lots of crusting in your nose which can last for months.

I think that covers everything I can think about - but if there's anything else you'd like to know feel free to ask.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    My husband had those procedures a few years back... he can breathe a lot better and colds are much easier for him to handle now, but his nose whistles when he sleeps and he's super sensitive to smell because I guess that happens when your nose didn't work so well until you were 37 and you suddenly got it fixed. Just something to be prepared for in the long term... the physical structure is being changed a bit, so there may be some long-term changes you didn't expect. Worth it for better breathing, though!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.