As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small airport noise levels

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
So I am currently house hunting, and I found a "perfect" place that I am really excited about. Unfortunately the property is located about a mile from an end of a small airport. I have been trying to figure out how much noise I should be expecting from planes flying overhead. I have talked to the people operating the field, and they had trouble explaining how noisy it would be (they seem to be so used to such things they dont register it anymore), but they could confirm that they could fly over as low as 300 to 500 ft above the property. Appearently single and maybe double engine private planes.

Can anyone who experienced such a situation tell me what I should expect? I a lawnmower outside the window? A busy highway noise? Gentle noise of a distant ocean?

I will try to see of I can see one of the planes take off in that area, but without any schedules I dont know how easy it will be to see one.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz probably has some insight about plane noise.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    It's a little further than a mile, but I live about 5 miles from a larger international airport and it isn't too bad. As long as it doesn't make the house shake or anything, it's definitely something you just end up getting used to. The only time it seems annoying to me anymore is when I have the door to my deck open, which I don't do very often more because of my deck's proximity to an access road to a mall than anything.

Basically, for me, living near the airport (and the noise associated with it) isn't that bad compared to living near a busy road where people find it necessary to blast their car stereos. One thing you might want to keep in mind though is how much time you spend outdoors on your patio or in your yard, because that is when it might bug you.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    @muninn what's the airport's name?

Noise-wise they'll be quieter than the neighbor's lawnmower, and tomorrow afternoon I'll go to the Lansing airport's park that's lined up with the runway and record a YouTube video to give you a good idea of what it would be like to have a commuter jet land or take off (depending on the wind)

Edit edit: the Park's just under a mile from the end of the runway so that will give a good idea of landing noise, but take-off wise it's a long runway so might not be the best

Edit edit edit: I live two miles from the airport, but it's SE from the runway, and we can hear UPS's 767 whenever it takes off and lands (because it's a big ole plane) but other than that you really only notice helicopters that fly close to the house

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Any chance you could talk to the current owners about the noise level? Ask neighbors possibly?
    I'd imagine that if it's a small airport with single to twin engine planes the noise shouldn't be too bad. I mean, it's not like it's an international hub launching 747s all day and night or something.
    Chances are that if there is any noise, you'll get used to it pretty quickly to the point where you don't notice it at all.

I live about 2 miles from a small airport myself (Centennial airport), I don't hear anything from it. But it's mostly small single engine planes and I have 1-25 between me and it.
    When I worked closer to the airport (a mile and a half to north east), the noise from the planes was, if noticeable at all, indistinguishable from regular traffic noise.

Did a bit of searching and found this, it's a real time tracker for incoming and outgoing flights allowing you to register and view noise complaints. You may want to check and see if your potential neighbor airport has a similar tool on their website.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if its turbo props it will be like a distant lawnmower, if its jets, you'll hear it

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You also get super used to it. I work under an airport and I don't even realize planes are going overhead half the time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Under?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @muninn what's the airport's name?

Noise-wise they'll be quieter than the neighbor's lawnmower, and tomorrow afternoon I'll go to the Lansing airport's park that's lined up with the runway and record a YouTube video to give you a good idea of what it would be like to have a commuter jet land or take off (depending on the wind)

Edit edit: the Park's just under a mile from the end of the runway so that will give a good idea of landing noise, but take-off wise it's a long runway so might not be the best

Edit edit edit: I live two miles from the airport, but it's SE from the runway, and we can hear UPS's 767 whenever it takes off and lands (because it's a big ole plane) but other than that you really only notice helicopters that fly close to the house

It is Quakertown Airport (KUKT).

Thanks a bunch, this is really helpful!
    House is located about 1.1 miles East of the SE end of the runway, so my concern was about stuff flying directly above. Did not have much of a concept of the noise levels involved.

• Options
    http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KUKT

That will show if people are flying in that have filed a flight plan

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Just knock on neighboring doors and ask. You can do it a street over if you worry about talking to your potentially new neighbors.

You should also ask the airport how many landings/takeoffs they have a day.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Kipling wrote: »
    Just knock on neighboring doors and ask. You can do it a street over if you worry about talking to your potentially new neighbors.

There's NOTHING listed on flight aware, so probably not many

And only 100LL is available at the airport, so if turboprops come in the better have FOB

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KUKT

That will show if people are flying in that have filed a flight plan

Oh jeez, i'll be stuck on this website for hours.

• Options
    @davidsdurions check out KLAN tomorrow from 0400-1400 if it you want see what I'm doing

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Under?

Well, under the landing zone for a runway.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

And only 100LL is available at the airport, so if turboprops come in the better have FOB

Well, I have spoken with the airport staff and they were squirrely about giving me a number, citing that it varies greatly, but on nice Sundays it gets busy.
    Wikipedia and the airport site claims an average of 81 "aircraft operations" a day, but I am not sure what classifies as an operation.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    muninn wrote: »

Well, I have spoken with the airport staff and they were squirrely about giving me a number, citing that it varies greatly, but on nice Sundays it gets busy.
    Wikipedia and the airport site claims an average of 81 "aircraft operations" a day, but I am not sure what classifies as an operation.

An operation is usually a take-off or a landing. It could possibly refer to something else, but that's the standard as far as I am aware.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    muninn wrote: »
    So I am currently house hunting, and I found a "perfect" place that I am really excited about. Unfortunately the property is located about a mile from an end of a small airport. I have been trying to figure out how much noise I should be expecting from planes flying overhead. I have talked to the people operating the field, and they had trouble explaining how noisy it would be (they seem to be so used to such things they dont register it anymore), but they could confirm that they could fly over as low as 300 to 500 ft above the property. Appearently single and maybe double engine private planes.

Can anyone who experienced such a situation tell me what I should expect? I a lawnmower outside the window? A busy highway noise? Gentle noise of a distant ocean?

I will try to see of I can see one of the planes take off in that area, but without any schedules I dont know how easy it will be to see one.

My family is within a mile or so of Renton Airfield. The cessna come in low over our hill to land and are throttling down. The private jets throttle up and over us as well. The noise isn't too bad.

The jumbo jets can be heard all over but are not obscene.

I think the big questions to ask are......

how big are the planes landing?

Are they taking off (throttle up = more noise) or landing (throttle down = less noise) they fly over your house?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Up until last week I lived less than a mile away from BUF.

I honestly didn't notice the planes other than looking up at them and trying to figure out what type they were, and the occasional rumble. However, the state route that my house was on was 99% of the time louder than the airport noise.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Under?

Well, under the landing zone for a runway.

Bowen secret identity as Illuminati systems admin under Denver Airport confirmed.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it -- my Dad's house is about that close to a small airfield and while, sure, you can hear planes going by overhead if you're outside, they aren't as loud as a big truck driving down the road outside by a _heck_ of a lot. That airfield is no bigger, so unless they're landing Harriers or something they can't have anything too big and noisy taking off because the runway isn't long enough.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    My best friend lives next to LAX (2,000 feet from the North runway). Inside the house, which is equipped with double-panned windows, you do not notice most of the jets. The A380's have shaken the door's on occasion. Outside, you will be slightly distracted by the A380's everything else can be ignored by a regular speaking tone. A380's take off about 9pm and stop about midnight, if I remember correctly.

I formally lived in the landing path of Zamperini Field and the only planes that are annoying are old WWII planes. Everything else was easily ignored. No double-panned windows. Police helicopters were much louder.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Nija wrote: »
    My best friend lives next to LAX (2,000 feet from the North runway). Inside the house, which is equipped with double-panned windows, you do not notice most of the jets. The A380's have shaken the door's on occasion. Outside, you will be slightly distracted by the A380's everything else can be ignored by a regular speaking tone. A380's take off about 9pm and stop about midnight, if I remember correctly.

I formally lived in the landing path of Zamperini Field and the only planes that are annoying are old WWII planes. Everything else was easily ignored. No double-panned windows. Police helicopters were much louder.

How dare you!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I lived less than 100 yards from a train track that was used regularly. You get used to the occasional noise. Trains are less frequent than planes but make noise for longer. The one place I've visited that I could not live under was an elevated BART track.....that was crazy loud.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I live just shy of 3 miles from the Wichita airport. It's not too bad. There's a few particular flight paths that end up going directly over my apartment but even then it's not like it rattles the dishes, and that's maybe just a couple times a day (that I notice) at most.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

How dare you!

They are great, in moderation or on the ground not making noise.

Not every day though. Around Memorial Day, we would also get an uptick in vintage planes taking off and landing. We were also close to Long Beach airport where some of the larger WWII planes would have to arrive/depart from (think bombers).

I know there is at least one P-51 Mustang at Zamp. And you could always hear it take off and land. Cessna's are quiet. WWII fighters are not.

Steam Me
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You also get super used to it. I work under an airport and I don't even realize planes are going overhead half the time.

Ya, you'll probably notice the noise in the first few weeks/months, but after a while, you'll have situations where you'll have visitors over and they'll ask you what that noise is and you'll respond

"What noise?"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I used to live about 200 feet from the LAX south runway (that is used for most take-offs), and agree with this. No double-paned windows for me, so I'd pause conversation if something heavy wastaking off, but for the most part, it's fine.
    I also used to live in Torrance, though not next to Zamperini Field, which makes me wonder if @Nija is failing at his attempt to dopplegang me.

• Options
    @chromdom I wouldn't say fail. Everyone says Hi :)

Steam Me
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    :(

Wait, I got out of there. You can have them!
    Except Kings Hawaiian on 190th! I retain face-stuffing rights in perpetuity at Kings Hawaiian Bakery. Into their sweet dough I will plant my flag, and upon the hills of rainbow cake I shall make my stand. YOU SHALL NOT TAKE THIS SWEETNESS FROM MINE LIFE!

Um... I mean, yeah, planes. You can get used to them.

• Options
    Ahhh King's, make sure you get there before 9 or else have fun with the hour+ wait. Their bakery is soo good. I think I'll pick up some sweet bread the next time I get groceries.

Eat at Rudy's in Old Town Torrance was cool too.

Steam Me
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I might have worked at the airport too long but single prop or double prop aircraft don't make much noise at all. My tower is 600 feet from the runway and I can't hear them take off over the ac here.

Noise level is subjective of course so the only way to know is to be there.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it -- my Dad's house is about that close to a small airfield and while, sure, you can hear planes going by overhead if you're outside, they aren't as loud as a big truck driving down the road outside by a _heck_ of a lot. That airfield is no bigger, so unless they're landing Harriers or something they can't have anything too big and noisy taking off because the runway isn't long enough.

I asked him what he thought; response was (bearing in mind that my dad flies a two-seater Cessna so is generally in favour of planes -- but the airfield he flies from is very much the same size as the one in this thread):
    my dad wrote:
    I wrote:
    Is it fair to say 'a truck outside is louder'?
    Basically yes, but the tone and pitch are very different which may irritate some people, but having small aeroplanes flying "so low I could read the number plate" has an emotional impact that's not related to noise, but non-the-less real...

On take-off, the aircraft will be at full power, but if he's a mile away they'll be going quite quickly by the time they reach him - climbing is typically done with a ground speed >60mph - airspeed'll be >70mph - and so the noise shouldn't last long.

Landing aircraft are throttled back and normally very quiet so that shouldn't be a problem. It isn't at Earls Colne, although there are people who just don't want any aeroplanes going over/near their houses...

The KUKT runway is roughly "East/West". If the prevailing wind is from the West and his home is to the West of the airfield, he'll have more take-offs going overhead, and so more noise and as they climb away the wind will keep bringing the noise to him

If his house is to the east, with a prevailing westerly wind, he'll have landing aircraft coming in overhead and they should be quieter. A point here is typical approach slope is 5° so a mile out they'll be quiet and high; whereas take-off may be steeper but slower, or flatter but faster...

The website shows typical 80 movements a day; in the UK a movement is a landing OR a take-off so here it would represent 40 take-offs - 5 an hour on a good flying day - that could be irritating. However, EGSR gets few complaints, even when we have aircraft doing circuits - round and round, take-off, touch and go... - except from a couple of people who really don't want any flying anywhere near them, except when they go on holiday?

• Options
    Thanks so much for your help, guys!

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So it sounds pretty small, but I used to live relatively near BTV (Burlington, Vermont). The basic domestic and private air traffic wasn't too bad. What was both cool and loud as crap were the F-15s based their for the Guard. Super cool to watch, but so loud at times. There was big kerfuffle about whether they would allow the F-35s there.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Planes are actually not that loud. I've lived near a couple of airports and near a working pier, shipping docks. The docks were much louder and much less ignorable. I'd say even a train station was worse than an airport.

The primary reason airports used to be bad was the industrial area that surrounds them and the cheap hotels and strip clubs. I'd say if you don't have either of those things I would not worry at all.

Can you not just go park next to the house and eat some Taco Bell in your car and read a book for a couple hours one day?

Edit: The air horn on a tug boat is a billion times worse than any small aircraft.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh, and you never have to hold a fart for too long, there'll usually be something along shortly to help you cover the noise!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    And you can blame chemtrails for the smell

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So it sounds pretty small, but I used to live relatively near BTV (Burlington, Vermont). The basic domestic and private air traffic wasn't too bad. What was both cool and loud as crap were the F-15s based their for the Guard. Super cool to watch, but so loud at times. There was big kerfuffle about whether they would allow the F-35s there.

The sound of freedom!

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The sound of freedom!

Or Decepticons

3basnids3lf9.jpg