As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Supernatural Causes

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Supernatural Causes

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Nemrex on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh my god. This made me laugh more than any PA strip in a long while. The wives' goofy expressions really sold that last panel.

Also, Tycho's literal magic in the first panel was a great touch.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    On one hand I kinda wanna make fun of this comic for being a decade out of date. On the other hand jesus, this show is still runing?!

• Options
    Psy-QPsy-Q Registered User new member
    "Castiel" (in Switzerland) is the name of a town near the place where I grew up. Means "castle" in Rumantsch. Weird choice for an angel name, fo sho! Now I'm associating sex angels with Swiss mountain towns, so thanks for bringing that show to my attention.

• Options
    spikeonspikeon Registered User new member
    As a straight single male and also a fan of supernatural since it started there's plenty to like in the show besides sexy men. Sit down and watch it with your wives and you might find you like it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    All the names ending in "-el" mean something "of god" in Hebrew as I understand it, and thus are associated with angels in one form of Abrahamic folklore or another, if not expressly listed in the bible. I didn't even bat an eye at the name. Castiel apparently means "shield of god" but wikipedia just has a mention of the name in it's article Theophory in the Bible; however, there's also a note that it is sometimes used as an alternate spelling for Cassiel ("speed of god") who has his own article and is apparently the inspiration for the tv show's character.

But that's interesting trivia all the same. I'd never heard of Rumantsch before, reading about it now.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I watch Supernatural for the articles.
    The articles are Sam, Dean, Castiel, and whoever else is being particularly cool in a given season.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TamorandTamorand Registered User new member
    Still running, and renewed for another season. This is the show that never ends.....it can go on and on my friends....some people started singing....oh gawd I can't stop!

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I just don't know why anyone would like that show past the first few seasons. I binge watched like, I dunno, up to season 5? Maybe it was 6? I liked the first couple seasons, it was doofy and campy in a good way. But then, after that, I was just kind of plugging through the next few to get to the ending they kept teasing at. But then, after all of this build-up, they basically undid everything. None of that buildup had ANY MEANING AT ALL. It was at that point I stopped watching. I HATE shows that break the tension and my suspension of disbelief, by constantly hand-waving away any consequences for the main characters.

TL;DR - I won't watch a show that constantly brings people back from the dead for no damn reason, or builds up some huge consequence, only to reverse it immediately, and without any effort. I stopped watching Buffy back in the day, too.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Friend of mine keeps encouraging me to watch this show. Every time someone tries to engage me with "You NEED to watch this show!" or even the less aggressive "You should watch this show." I feel the urge to start strangling whoever is near me. I don't want to watch your show. At all. I don't want to. I feel like I need to reassure the person that it's nothing against their taste or who they are as a human. Just, i don't want to watch your thing every Tuesday or record it? Or watch it on Nortfleurx? No. Stop, please.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    it is sometimes used as an alternate spelling for Cassiel ("speed of god") who has his own article and is apparently the inspiration for the tv show's character.

So, a sex angle's name is associated with speed? I bet the ladies just love him.

• Options
    From the little bit I read about the character while fact-checking my response to Psy-Q, I think Mike and Jerry just made the sex-angel part up. I didn't see anything like that in the synopsis of his character arc. Just a very complicated narrative (like, 1980's-90's Summers family in X-Men complicated).

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Zomagic wrote: »
    I just don't know why anyone would like that show past the first few seasons. I binge watched like, I dunno, up to season 5? Maybe it was 6? I liked the first couple seasons, it was doofy and campy in a good way. But then, after that, I was just kind of plugging through the next few to get to the ending they kept teasing at. But then, after all of this build-up, they basically undid everything. None of that buildup had ANY MEANING AT ALL. It was at that point I stopped watching. I HATE shows that break the tension and my suspension of disbelief, by constantly hand-waving away any consequences for the main characters.

TL;DR - I won't watch a show that constantly brings people back from the dead for no damn reason, or builds up some huge consequence, only to reverse it immediately, and without any effort. I stopped watching Buffy back in the day, too.

The triumph of financiers over showrunners. Nothing wrong with commercial art, but a succession of short shows that are great is better than a show that runs so long it begins to fall apart. Or, do the anime/manga/Final Fantasy thing and let the series end when it should, then reboot/reformat for a new run using similar themes.

Granted, there are always exceptions; some shows (like Star Trek The Next Generation) can take multiple seasons to really hit their stride, but for series with a strong central theme or driving concept the opposite is usually the case. Like Castle just got cancelled, but apparently the Det. Beckett character left the show awhile back. I'm sorry, what? Wasn't the whole show their relationship and teamwork?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

The end of the fifth season is when the creator left the series, because as he put it, "my five-year story was done". CW renewed it anyway, and then has continued to do so for every season after.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    On one hand I kinda wanna make fun of this comic for being a decade out of date. On the other hand jesus, this show is still runing?!

yes. it is also still running.

I watch the CW for the Seinfeld reruns, but I know Supernatural as the show where everyone talks with Batman-voice.

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Friend of mine keeps encouraging me to watch this show. Every time someone tries to engage me with "You NEED to watch this show!" or even the less aggressive "You should watch this show." I feel the urge to start strangling whoever is near me. I don't want to watch your show. At all. I don't want to. I feel like I need to reassure the person that it's nothing against their taste or who they are as a human. Just, i don't want to watch your thing every Tuesday or record it? Or watch it on Nortfleurx? No. Stop, please.
    You mean you don't want to watch [insert mainstream show]? Everyone's watching it, it's so good! You HAVE to see it! Come on, like the same shows as me! We must all watch the same shows!

• Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular

Carry on my wayward son........

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    Zenigata wrote: »
    You mean you don't want to watch [insert mainstream show]? Everyone's watching it, it's so good! You HAVE to see it! Come on, like the same shows as me! We must all watch the same shows!

It starts to sound like a desperate plea after a while. Like a recently divorced man begging his still married friends to go on some crazy trip or a fishing charter or to Vegas or some shit. "Please reconnect with me!" Look, man, I'm down. But I can't go to Vegas, Alaska, and Egypt all at the same time. Pick one and I'll try to fit it into the ol' schedule.

This guy wants me to watch Fear The Walking Dead and this girl wants me to watch New Girl and this girl says I need to watch Better Call Saul and he's telling me about Gotham over here... guys... guys. I'm playing Dark Souls 3 right now. When I beat it in six months I'll watch all your shows... maybe. Probably not.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

The triumph of financiers over showrunners. Nothing wrong with commercial art, but a succession of short shows that are great is better than a show that runs so long it begins to fall apart. Or, do the anime/manga/Final Fantasy thing and let the series end when it should, then reboot/reformat for a new run using similar themes.

Granted, there are always exceptions; some shows (like Star Trek The Next Generation) can take multiple seasons to really hit their stride, but for series with a strong central theme or driving concept the opposite is usually the case. Like Castle just got cancelled, but apparently the Det. Beckett character left the show awhile back. I'm sorry, what? Wasn't the whole show their relationship and teamwork?

Beckett never left Castle, but they scaled her back a bit since Stana Katic was tired of the show. The show was supposed to be all about the Castle-Beckett teamwork, but Beckett as executed was mostly a boring character who just existed to let Nathan Fillion shine. A few seasons in they tried to make her more interesting by giving her a bunch of stereotypically male hobbies like motorcycles and scotch. I never felt like that worked well.

• Options
    Huh, I only watched the first two seasons. Somewhere in the late second season or during the third there was an episode that was literally the same plot as an older episode with moderately different details dressing it up, and that was about when I lost interest in the show.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Maybe this is just me being a party pooper or maybe it's because we're in the era of Netflix and Binge Watching, but... Supernatural is a 10 year old show, this comic feels as if it was plucked out of time. I realize this joke is timeless, but it's still a little stale. #curmudgeon

• Options
    RigamarawRigamaraw Registered User regular

Yes! It's absolutely awful when your friends want to connect with you about their interests. I mean c'mon, I'll recommend games to you, but I don't want to hear about whatever garbage you like. /s

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    From the little bit I read about the character while fact-checking my response to Psy-Q, I think Mike and Jerry just made the sex-angel part up. I didn't see anything like that in the synopsis of his character arc. Just a very complicated narrative (like, 1980's-90's Summers family in X-Men complicated).

He's not a "sex angel" in the show, he's just an angel that some viewers happen to find incredibly sexy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JayeEmmJayeEmm New HampShireRegistered User regular
    As someone who binge-watched the entire show up to Season 9 when I discovered it a couple of years ago, this strip is relevant - not at all 'out of date'. If you're in the Spn fandom, you'll know there are new fans all the time who binge watch til their eyeballs fall out when they first discover the show. Which is pretty remarkable for a show that's going into Season 12. Eh if you don't like it, don't watch, but the people who love it, LOVE it in a sort of weird, all-consuming way I've never experienced with any other show I've been into.

The sex angels help.

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    watching Supernatural on DVD (love me the extras) and am up to season 9 ...
    in which Cass learns about sex and the producers, therefore provide him with lots of 'Kirk' or 'Sulu' moments (i.e. shirtless).

pedantically speaking though, (edit: spoiler tag isn't working, so do this the old fashioned way)
    Spoiler alert:
    he READ is BETWEEN no THE longer BIG an WORDS angel.

hajen on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Beckett never left Castle, but they scaled her back a bit since Stana Katic was tired of the show. The show was supposed to be all about the Castle-Beckett teamwork, but Beckett as executed was mostly a boring character who just existed to let Nathan Fillion shine. A few seasons in they tried to make her more interesting by giving her a bunch of stereotypically male hobbies like motorcycles and scotch. I never felt like that worked well.

She just recently announced that she was leaving the show, then even more recently (last week) it was announced that the show wasn't being renewed.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    This strip made me so very happy.

That is all.

<3

• Options
    darleysam wrote: »

She just recently announced that she was leaving the show, then even more recently (last week) it was announced that the show wasn't being renewed.

Yes. The show has never existed without her being part of the cast.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Supernatural is still going, and the latest season is actually really good, which is a reversal of how the show has been doing since season 5.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Rigamaraw wrote: »

Yes! It's absolutely awful when your friends want to connect with you about their interests. I mean c'mon, I'll recommend games to you, but I don't want to hear about whatever garbage you like. /s

Precisely!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

He's not a "sex angel" in the show, he's just an angel that some viewers happen to find incredibly sexy.

Except for the Croatoan virus episode set five years in the future where he's constantly high and has orgies with impossibly attractive post-apocalyptic survivors.

I, too, read the show for the articles.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Yes. The show has never existed without her being part of the cast.

It's a shame to see Castle go, but it's had a great run, and I'd rather see it conclude that let it be dragged out longer than needs be.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    If you haven't put up wards against CW, I would question why you bothered with wards at all. That should be at the top of the list.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

It starts to sound like a desperate plea after a while. Like a recently divorced man begging his still married friends to go on some crazy trip or a fishing charter or to Vegas or some shit. "Please reconnect with me!" Look, man, I'm down. But I can't go to Vegas, Alaska, and Egypt all at the same time. Pick one and I'll try to fit it into the ol' schedule.

This guy wants me to watch Fear The Walking Dead and this girl wants me to watch New Girl and this girl says I need to watch Better Call Saul and he's telling me about Gotham over here... guys... guys. I'm playing Dark Souls 3 right now. When I beat it in six months I'll watch all your shows... maybe. Probably not.

I'm not saying you need to watch it, but if you want to watch a got dang hilarious show that will produce painful laughter deep from the pit of your stomach, ya gotta check out New Girl. For real. Nobody needs to watch Fear The Walking Dead, though. Like... ever.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I'm not saying you need to watch it, but if you want to watch a got dang hilarious show that will produce painful laughter deep from the pit of your stomach, ya gotta check out New Girl. For real. Nobody needs to watch Fear The Walking Dead, though. Like... ever.

But then how will I understand these new kids' T-shirts with their pictures of characters from TWD in iconic scenes from other franchises?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This season was breaking up with a lot of shows. I'm done with TWD, I left Castle before she left me, if Flash doesn't improve it'll go into the don't give a shit pile.

If not for Crazy Ex Girlfriend I'd be down to like watching arrow and chopped.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Television... oh yeah, I remember watching television.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I saw several episodes of Supernatural, then I saw how season 1 ended. I had a vision of this turning to crap and left t behind. There are no regrets.

• Options
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    I saw several episodes of Supernatural, then I saw how season 1 ended. I had a vision of this turning to crap and left t behind. There are no regrets.

It got so much better before it went downhill though (still watchable IMO). There is some awesome stuff in S3 and later. Castiel doesn't even show up until Season 4. I mean, just about every show goes bad eventually.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »

It got so much better before it went downhill though (still watchable IMO). There is some awesome stuff in S3 and later. Castiel doesn't even show up until Season 4. I mean, just about every show goes bad eventually.

Firefly didn't...