As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok I think I might be able to tolerate Leto enough to maybe enjoy the rest of that movie

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The only thing that looks interesting in those clips (at least to me) are the effects they have going on with Enchantress. Those look pretty cool.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    hey not trying to be a dick but isn't this the thread for the comics while the other is for the tv/movie stuff?

The only comic threads I'm aware of are this one, CW TV Show thread, and the Marvel thread.

I don't know if we have a thread specifically ideal to posting DC movie clips.

Not really sure how this is better than having the one thread for this stuff, to be honest.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Lee and Didio confirmed that Wildstorm characters beyond Apollo and Midnighter will be joining the Rebirth train but nothing will be announced until NYCC

if this means I finally get my Savant series with a decent creative team, I'll be so happy.

(chances of it being a Savant series: 0.00001%)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    hey not trying to be a dick but isn't this the thread for the comics while the other is for the tv/movie stuff?

The only comic threads I'm aware of are this one, CW TV Show thread, and the Marvel thread.

I don't know if we have a thread specifically ideal to posting DC movie clips.

Not really sure how this is better than having the one thread for this stuff, to be honest.

I've been using the CW thread to talk about Suicide Squad, personally. It seems like a better fit than here, at very least.

Although honestly, it comes out in a couple of weeks, I might make a thread for it.

• Options
    As it's too hot to do anything useful over here, I've been rereading Shade the Changing Man series from the 90s.

Damn I forgot a lot of what happened during this series and I was definitely unprepared for issue 50.

One weird thing I noticed is that in the final issue, Shelly Bond thanks the various people who have been working on the title: Miligan and artists Buckingham, Philips and Case. But she didn't thank Chris Bachalo who did the art for the most of the first 50 issues of the series. Anybody know what was up with that?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I only check in now and then, but wait a minute, Batman
    essentially has sex with his kinda sorta even though not really daughter?

Bahahaha, who thought that was a good idea? Maybe this was them testing the waters for putting out movies with a higher rating? I'd have to imagine if so, this will torpedo those plans.

RE: Leto's joker, I don't mind it - he's sorta boned following the last one, since it was absolutely brilliant and then Ledger passed away.

Cho's Wonder Woman looked great, she actually has some muscle mass and bulk to her. The costume seems pretty good too, greatly resembles the classic but adds the armor and weaponry. Reminds me of his take on 616 Valkyrie who was bulky, armored and well armed. As for her being bisexual, she grew up on an island of women...how could she not be bisexual, if not a straight up lesbian.

Jamie looks a little bulky in Injustice, Diana looked pretty good. I liked the stab and fling move, and the facial quality was pretty superb.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I don't think anyone disagrees that Frank Cho draws a great Wonder Woman. It's that he can't keep his cheesecake in check that ruins it

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Also there was a new wrinkle that popped up on twitter from Greg Rucka about Frank Cho not really communicating with him from the start.

So I'm still more than happy to lump this into Frank Cho doesn't wanna collaborate.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I don't think anyone disagrees that Frank Cho draws a great Wonder Woman. It's that he can't keep his cheesecake in check that ruins it

I mean, that's pretty much the whole point.

Frank Cho is a great artist.

He's is also, a piece of shit.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I've been reading that some people walked out of The Killing Joke after the first act when it was in theaters.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So the full Justice League Dark animated movie line up was revealed: Constantine, Zatanna, Etrigan, Deadman, Swamp Thing and Black Orchid with Batman guest starring as the "regular dude" who doesn't believe in magic

Matt Ryan will be reprising his role as Constantine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I love all of those characters except for Black Orchid who I actually have not read any comics of

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Matt Ryan was a pretty good Constantine, I guess I'm down with that

Black Orchid and Deadman are typically more traditional superheroes, even if their powers are supernatural in origin, so they seem like kind of strange people to include

But if you need to round out a roster you could absolutely do worse than those two

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Well, Black Orchid and Deadman were part of the Justice League Dark comic, so that's probably why they're in there.

Sad they're not using Frankenstein

• Options
    It's a new version of Black Orchid who is essentially a human avatar for the House of Mystery so you wouldn't need to have any prior knowledge really

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah I mostly know Black Orchid from her auxiliary membership in the Suicide Squad

So that's probably part of why she seems out of place to me

• Options
    Well, Black Orchid and Deadman were part of the Justice League Dark comic, so that's probably why they're in there.

Andrew Bennett would have been fun too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I love all of those characters except for Black Orchid who I actually have not read any comics of

I only know her from the Gaiman/McKean mini-series they did, but that one was beautifully drawn and an interesting read.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Justice League Dark is still the stupidest team name I've ever heard

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Is it Justice League: Dark or is it Justice Leaguedark

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Justice League Dark is still the stupidest team name I've ever heard
    It's a terrible, terrible name

The comic was pretty great at times though, Lemire's arcs were real fun

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Is it Justice League: Dark or is it Justice Leaguedark
    Justice League Dark, no colon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Justice: Through A League Darkly

• Options
    I prefer Pretzel Justice Leagues, or maybe Peanut Butter Justice League

• Options
    Justice League is a team name that doesn't really lend itself to a lot of spinoffs, unlike the Avengers

also DC doesn't have a history of many other hero teams, like Marvel does with the Defenders and the Champions

• Options
    Justice League is a team name that doesn't really lend itself to a lot of spinoffs, unlike the Avengers

also DC doesn't have a history of many other hero teams, like Marvel does with the Defenders and the Champions

Justice League of ________ names theoretically work.

I'd love to see the Justice League fraction into a bunch of different geographical varieties. Maybe take the core/founding members, give them a Justice League United book all together, and then each one heads up a different Justice League, one for every continent.

Or I guess split them into regions of America and have a weird JLI ancillary force, but I think it'd be cooler to have a more varied and worldwide presence for the League. They'd probably need to diversify their membership a bit to pull that off though.

• Options

There are quite a few though, the big titles (JLA, JSA, Titans and Legion IMHO), the solid B-listers kept up by good writing and neat concepts (Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad (ok, you said hero teams, so this doesn't fit), Birds of Prey), the what-was-the-point-of-these-ones (like Outsiders) and the please-don't-ask-me-anything-about-this (Infinity Inc. I literally don't know anything about this team except that there was a DC team called Infinity Inc. I think Obisidian was a member?)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I think the Outsiders were maybe supposed to be a Defenders equivalent?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Or I guess split them into regions of America and have a weird JLI ancillary force, but I think it'd be cooler to have a more varied and worldwide presence for the League. They'd probably need to diversify their membership a bit to pull that off though.

What, like a guy with electricity powers?

• Options
    All I remember about the original Outsiders was "here's a bunch of non-entities... and Batman to boost sales."

Eh maybe too harsh, I like Metamorpho.

Justice League of ________ names theoretically work.

I'd love to see the Justice League fraction into a bunch of different geographical varieties. Maybe take the core/founding members, give them a Justice League United book all together, and then each one heads up a different Justice League, one for every continent.

As long as the new Justice League Europe actually has more than 1 European member on it. (yes, still annoyed by that.)

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Justice League Milk
    Justice League White
    Justice League with Almonds

• Options
    I tried to come up with my pitch for what those teams would actually shake down as
    Justice League United:
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Nightwing
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter

Justice League of North America:
    Superman
    Black Canary
    The Question (thinking Renee, but it could be either)
    Cyborg
    Mister Miracle

Justice League of South America:
    The Flash
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Green Arrow
    Animal Man
    Hawkgirl

Justice League of Europe:
    Nightwing
    Booster Gold
    Captain Atom
    Elongated Man
    Zatanna

Justice League of Africa:
    Wonder Woman
    Vixen
    B'Wana Beast
    Hawkman
    Starfire

Justice League of Asia:
    Martian Manhunter
    Katana
    Metamorpho
    Huntress
    Doctor Light (Kimiyo)

Justice League of Oceania:
    Aquaman

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I tried to come up with my pitch for what those teams would actually shake down as
    Justice League United:
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Nightwing
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter

Superman
    Black Canary
    Cyborg
    Mister Miracle

The Flash
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Green Arrow
    Animal Man
    Hawkgirl

Nightwing
    Booster Gold
    Captain Atom
    Elongated Man
    Zatanna

Wonder Woman
    Vixen
    B'Wana Beast
    Hawkman
    Starfire

Justice League of Asia:
    Martian Manhunter
    Katana
    Metamorpho
    Huntress
    Doctor Light (Kimiyo)

Aquaman

There is a distinct lack of Batman in your Justice League. But I've always liked Nightwing better, so I'm in.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Justice League United:
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Nightwing
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter

Superman
    Black Canary
    Cyborg
    Mister Miracle

The Flash
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Green Arrow
    Animal Man
    Hawkgirl

Nightwing
    Booster Gold
    Captain Atom
    Elongated Man
    Zatanna

Wonder Woman
    Vixen
    B'Wana Beast
    Hawkman
    Starfire

Justice League of Asia:
    Martian Manhunter
    Katana
    Metamorpho
    Huntress
    Doctor Light (Kimiyo)

Aquaman

There is a distinct lack of Batman in your Justice League. But I've always liked Nightwing better, so I'm in.

Batman can't be in the Justice League, they're too public

He can't do anything that lets criminals know that he's anything more than a spook story, a supernatural darkness that protects Gotham

Of course, Nightwing is his agent in the League as a whole, and he would presumably have agents in each other League as well (The Question, Green Arrow, Katana, and I don't know, B'Wana Beast I guess)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    One thing I would say that is a little weird is Jaime on JLSA

Jaime is hispanic, but he grew up in El Paso and is American

Having him be on the South American Justice League feels kinda like "hey he speaks Spanish, he works" to me

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Andrew Bennett would have been fun too

I forgot about I, Vampire

That was a good comic

• Options
    One thing I would say that is a little weird is Jaime on JLSA

Jaime is hispanic, but he grew up in El Paso and is American

Having him be on the South American Justice League feels kinda like "hey he speaks Spanish, he works" to me

Yeah, I know, I grappled with that too

Because yes, part of the reason he is there is because he speaks Spanish, and that feels kind of fucked up

On the other hand, I couldn't think of any good actually South American characters off the top of my head

And the team felt very white savior when it was just Flash and Green Arrow and Animal Man

So I settled for a couple of hispanic characters who aren't South American

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    All I remember about the original Outsiders was "here's a bunch of non-entities... and Batman to boost sales."

when I think of the Outsiders, I always remember the worst superhero costume of all time

b9f169b29e1ed2fdfec45f5d3457cfd2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.