As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    #TwoSeasonsAndCherrypickingFromTheRest

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    season 6 had Frankie. That was a plus. Both 5 and 6 still had Darmon disappearing up his own butt a bit too often. I also wasn't a fan of the recurring shitting on season 4.

You dare besmirch Keith David by omitting him? The cheek on you. The cheek.

Also shit on Season 4 always it was a very unfunny and bland season.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Season 4 had a puppet episode with a cute balloon song. The episode was a bit disappointing otherwise but I still like it.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Community was a fun show

There have been way better sitcoms though, I've never understood it's lionization

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Community was a fun show

There have been way better sitcoms though, I've never understood it's lionization

It wasn't even the best sitcom on TV when it was airing

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    community was the show with the paintball episodes that everyone told me i'd totally like and i watched one and it was the worst

that is the sum total of my community opinions.

i really, really like rick and morty though, but that's gotta be mostly roiland right? that shit is straight up house of cosbys 2.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    For me personally the first 2 seasons were at the time the most enjoyable TV airing, but I feel the lionisation comes mostly from Harmon's weird cult of personality. That amplified the worst parts of the fandom that alot of shows have.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Just finished The Path.

I'm so torn on hating the cult and wanting to see the best for some of the characters.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I wish I knew less about Dan Harmon

Thinking about Community brings up all these other associations, now. I'm not sure it's a show I'll ever revisit, even though I liked it a bunch as it aired

Part of the problem for me is that it's very hard to separate the show from what you know a
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Community was a fun show

It wasn't even the best sitcom on TV when it was airing

It wasn't even the best sitcom airing on its network on the night that it aired

Though I'm sure there's a fight as to which show was better (it's not 30 Rock tho)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Parks & Recreation is a much better show than Community

It certainly helps that it doesn't have so much baggage attached to it like Community, The Show Cancelled After Every Season

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The Office at its peak is better than every other show in that lineup. Parks didn't hit the same valleys that the Office did, though

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Parks and Rec is probably my favorite show ever.

Really close with Scrubs but Scrubs had that terrible season 7.

Of course Parks had a terrible season 1

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    community is hilarious for exactly a season and a half before becoming unwatchable

it's a remarkably abrupt transition

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Community is an ok show with a few exemplary episodes and a lot of bad episodes.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yes but it is better to improve than to fall into a mess.

And I really think scrubs just span it's wheels during seasons four to six before just taking a huge nosedive with seven.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    community was the show with the paintball episodes that everyone told me i'd totally like and i watched one and it was the worst

that is the sum total of my community opinions.

i really, really like rick and morty though, but that's gotta be mostly roiland right? that shit is straight up house of cosbys 2.

From what I've heard Harmon's Rick and Morty contributions are stuff like the Beth and Jerry plots, which are almost always the least interesting parts of whatever episodes they're in, so

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Parks and Rec seasons 2 and 3 and Community seasons 1 and 2, which were both airing at the same time, are up there as some of my favourite sitcom seasons of all time, alongside peak Simpsons, Seinfeld, Arrested Development and Sunny.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

Yes but it is better to improve than to fall into a mess.

And I really think scrubs just span it's wheels during seasons four to six before just taking a huge nosedive with seven.

Season 8 of Scrubs introduced the world to Eliza Coupe and Taran Killam, so the latter seasons weren't a total waste

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Thinking about it more, scrubs and how I met your mother both suffered by lead single guy syndrome, where nothing interesting ever ends up happening to the character as they need to date people and pointlessly sabotage their own relationships.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have been utterly spoiled at this point by shows that constantly change up the status quo and actually move things forward at a good clip

Getting into anything episodic would be a hard ask for me now

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I kind of hope X-Files is more episodic whenever it comes back.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    6 Failed TV Shows
    #6. Kanye West Tried To Do An HBO Sitcom (And Puppet Show)
    #5. A Teen Musical Show ... Starring Nicolas Cage
    #4. A Heartwarming Series Based On Psycho
    #3. A Hellish Furry Show Co-Starring Adam Sandler
    #2. Rodney Dangerfield's Sitcom In Which A Young Boy Had the Superpower Of Being Able To Teleport Rodney Dangerfield
    #1. O.J. Simpson Made A Fucking Prank Show

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hey any Archer fans should be careful watching FX. They spoil the pool reveal in this new promo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am continuing to enjoy Houdini & Doyle. The characters have good chemistry. Houdini keeps making bets with Doyle about the cases and admits when he's wrong and just pays up. Nicely refreshing that.

It's about ten years too early for there to be a woman police constable, but Doyle is having to deal with his wife slowly dying from tuberculosis, which is accurate.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Houdini pays up? Does that mean there is supernatural stuff in this series?

If I remember correctly, in real life Houdini was a huge skeptic, while Doyle was super into the supernatural.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I loved and still love community. Season 4 was the weakest but I still enjoyed it. Haven't seen the new Yahoo season but I like it overall. It has some good episodes and some amazing episodes. Parks and Rec is still the best ever though.

And Scrubs...scrubs has a special place in my heart. I adore all 8 seasons of that show but I know its flawed.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    God I can't stand food networks insistence on kids cooking competition shows, part of the fun of chopped is seeing an asshole who is over confident lose, seeing a 12 year old lose is heart breaking even if they sucked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The worst part of cooking competition shows is the hamfisted emotional background subplots they insist on shoving in between the cooking.

eff

off

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Noah Hawley, the showrunner and sole writer of most episodes of all 3 seasons of Fargo, has a new novel out this week, "Before The Fall"
    On a foggy summer night, eleven people--ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter--depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are Scott Burroughs-the painter-and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

With chapters weaving between the aftermath of the crash and the backstories of the passengers and crew members--including a Wall Street titan and his wife, a Texan-born party boy just in from London, a young woman questioning her path in life, and a career pilot--the mystery surrounding the tragedy heightens. As the passengers' intrigues unravel, odd coincidences point to a conspiracy. Was it merely by dumb chance that so many influential people perished? Or was something far more sinister at work? Events soon threaten to spiral out of control in an escalating storm of media outrage and accusations. And while Scott struggles to cope with fame that borders on notoriety, the authorities scramble to salvage the truth from the wreckage.

Amid pulse-quickening suspense, the fragile relationship between Scott and the young boy glows at the heart of this stunning novel, raising questions of fate, human nature, and the inextricable ties that bind us together.

yeah that book is probably pretty good

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Noah Hawley, the showrunner and sole writer writer of most episodes of all 3 seasons of Fargo, has a new novel out this week, "Before The Fall"
    On a foggy summer night, eleven people--ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter--depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are Scott Burroughs-the painter-and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

With chapters weaving between the aftermath of the crash and the backstories of the passengers and crew members--including a Wall Street titan and his wife, a Texan-born party boy just in from London, a young woman questioning her path in life, and a career pilot--the mystery surrounding the tragedy heightens. As the passengers' intrigues unravel, odd coincidences point to a conspiracy. Was it merely by dumb chance that so many influential people perished? Or was something far more sinister at work? Events soon threaten to spiral out of control in an escalating storm of media outrage and accusations. And while Scott struggles to cope with fame that borders on notoriety, the authorities scramble to salvage the truth from the wreckage.

Amid pulse-quickening suspense, the fragile relationship between Scott and the young boy glows at the heart of this stunning novel, raising questions of fate, human nature, and the inextricable ties that bind us together.

yeah that book is probably pretty good

This sounds very good and I've already pre-ordered it, but the description is weirdly reminiscent of this obscure book I loved in high school, Blackbox: A Novel in 840 Chapters.

An old, old, old review of it here: http://www.avclub.com/review/nick-walker-iblackbox-a-novel-in-840-chaptersi-5441

The similarities are purely superficial, I reckon, but it's always funny when a thing I love now (the writing of Noah Hawley) reminds me of a thing I loved a decade ago (this book nobody's ever even heard of)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I kind of hope X-Files is more episodic whenever it comes back.

I linda hope Fox is like "Chris thats a great script we're gonna put it on the fridge where everyone can see it" and hires a good show runner.

We can dream away that bullshit last episode pretty easy so I have hopes for a new season if Carter stays away

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Jesus fuck, Clarke!

Season finale The 100
    You spend all of this effort getting to the fucking switch and the then choose to listen to Allie for 10 fucking minutes before you pull it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My grandmother really wants to watch Preacher with me, for some reason.

This isn't going to end well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    My grandmother really wants to watch Preacher with me, for some reason.

This isn't going to end well.

Just stand up for yourself and open your heart.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jesus fuck, Clarke!

Season finale The 100
    You spend all of this effort getting to the fucking switch and the then choose to listen to Allie for 10 fucking minutes before you pull it.
    Gotta introduce that S4 plot, yo.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jesus fuck, Clarke!

Season finale The 100
    I loved how blatantly that final "10 seconds" went for like 30

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Lars wrote: »
    Houdini pays up? Does that mean there is supernatural stuff in this series?

If I remember correctly, in real life Houdini was a huge skeptic, while Doyle was super into the supernatural.

Sometimes they are able to debunk the supernatural element of the crime with science. Other times they solve the murder but are completely unable to explain the weird part of it.
    For example,
    This guy is thrown from a window at night to his death by a thing in all black that is hanging on the side of the building and leaps across roof tops. Later another person gets attacked and a third dies trying to flee. The guys track down this reporter who admits to trying to scare people into thinking Springheel Jack is real to sell papers so he could be a famous reporter and says no one was supposed to die. When asked about the first murder he's like, what the fuck you talking about, I don't know a thing about that.

It stays true to Houdini being the skeptic and Doyle going to fortune tellers and such. Also it deals pretty heavily into their lives at the time with Doyle dealing with his dying wife and Houdini being in pretty constant pain due to all the injuries he's suffered in his performances.

Like I said before, the only real historical in accuracy is there being a female Scotland yard constable about 18 years too early. She basically gets stuck supervising the two because Houdini knows people and the inspector wants them off his back.

As for the bets,
    in the recent episode Houdini bets Doyle that a livery owner is the murderer, then Houdini discovers himself that the guy could not have been the murder and when filling in Doyle, just casually admits he was wrong and hands over the money. For some reason that is nice and refreshing to me.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I loved and still love community. Season 4 was the weakest but I still enjoyed it. Haven't seen the new Yahoo season but I like it overall. It has some good episodes and some amazing episodes. Parks and Rec is still the best ever though.

And Scrubs...scrubs has a special place in my heart. I adore all 8 seasons of that show but I know its flawed.
    Season 6 is out on DVD now.

• Options
    Veep has this weird quality that their funniest characters are often the humorless ones

That's Kent, Sue, and most of all, Richard Splett

Also there are very few things I enjoy more than watching Dan Egan get humiliated

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Veep has this weird quality that their funniest characters are often the humorless ones

That's Kent, Sue, and most of all, Richard Splett

Also there are very few things I enjoy more than watching Dan Egan get humiliated

I'm so used to everyone on the cast being constantly humiliated that I was as surprised as Dan when Jonah complimented him.

His "go fuck yourself" in response was almost affectionate.

This discussion has been closed.