As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    The Newsroom had so so many good parts. It's a shame about the rest of it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm seriously considering paying the $90 to watch his Master Class on screenwriting.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Season 5 and the start of 6 were awful enough that I never picked it back up for 7 or 8, though I heard it recovered somewhat. I love Alan Alda, and seasons 1-4, so I should probably try to get round to it one day.

Yeah, Alda was great too. 7 was the last season, though.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What I really love about BoJack Horseman is they don't fall into that later-day Simpsons trap with the guest stars

They get people to actually play characters besides themselves, and actually do new voices

Jake Johnson is a frequent guest star on that show and you don't really guess it's him, because he's not just doing Jake Johnson, he is doing a cartoon voice for this character

6F32U1X.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jake Johnson is a cartoon

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Jake Johnson had one of my favorite lines from this latest season of Bojack
    Don't listen to it now! It's too lyrically relevant!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering paying the $90 to watch his Master Class on screenwriting.

Give me $75 and I'll teach you how to write like Aaron Sorkin.

Think of the savings!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just end every conversation with one person saying "yeah" and you are 60% of the way there!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited July 2016
    Just end every conversation with one person saying "yeah" and you are 60% of the way there!

Make sure every script contains, at minimum, one scene of an older white man lecturing a woman

Feel free to add as many as you want, follow your bliss, but ya gotta have at least one

Poorochondriac on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the time when someone described the dialogue in the novel I was writing as "sorkin-esque" was basically when I decided to stop writing it

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Make sure every script contains, at minimum, one scene of an older white man lecturing a woman

Feel free to add as many as you want, follow your bliss, but ya gotta have at least one

Yeah.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the time when someone described the dialogue in the novel I was writing as "sorkin-esque" was basically when I decided to stop writing it

Your posts are Sorkin-esque.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    .......hhhhhhuh.

@Ms Dapper did you see this yet?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

People say that when they like dialogue, regardless of how apt it actually is

I've gotten that one too, but just because my dialogue is fast and wordy. Shane Black would be an infinitely better point of comparison, if still not quite right, but folks just tend to not now how to talk about dialogue.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I've gotten that one too, but just because my dialogue is fast and wordy. Shane Black would be an infinitely better point of comparison, if still not quite right, but folks just tend to not now how to talk about dialogue.

I've gotten both Sorkin and Black, depending on what I was writing.

But I am also not accomplished outside of a few plays being produced and a few short stories being published so

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Your posts are Sorkin-esque.

that's not nice

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've resumed watching the 100. I'm on ep 4 of s2. These people make a lot of bad choices

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I've resumed watching the 100. I'm on ep 4 of s2. These people make a lot of bad choices
    You have no idea.

sig.gif

Who, the writers?

Waka waka waka

(I don't even watch The 100)

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's season 3, not season 2.

sig.gif
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's definitely some of that in Season 2 as well

I mean, I think there's some of that in all of the seasons, honestly

My only real complaint about Stranger Things, halfway through the season, is boy I wish the CG wasn't so cheapo

6F32U1X.png

please straight-up replace the original release with these

6F32U1X.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

please straight-up replace the original release with these

double please. let me try again to like it more

f2ojmwh3geue.png

But I am also not accomplished outside of a few plays being produced and a few short stories being published so

Sorkin Black is pretty good. Those scenes of Tatiana Maslany walking and talking with herself are really well done.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Sorkin Black is pretty good. Those scenes of Tatiana Maslany walking and talking with herself are really well done.

BAD JOEL

BAD

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

yay!

there are never enough blue-haired women on tv.

better get Ashly Burch in this or I will be hella mad.

scherbchen on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

BAD JOEL

BAD

:( I thought it was pretty good...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    What I really love about BoJack Horseman is they don't fall into that later-day Simpsons trap with the guest stars

They get people to actually play characters besides themselves, and actually do new voices

Jake Johnson is a frequent guest star on that show and you don't really guess it's him, because he's not just doing Jake Johnson, he is doing a cartoon voice for this character

Except the best guest star they have is character actress Margot Martindale

PSN- AHermano
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

They just had to bring back Jess though, ugh.

Nothing. Matters.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Jake Johnson is a cartoon

I wasn't familiar with who Jake Johnson was, so I googled his name. Of course the first suggestion for a Google of any actors name is "*'s wife."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Jess is a good dude though?

It's Dean and Logan who were insufferable.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Jess is a good dude though?

It's Dean and Logan who were insufferable.

All of them are terrible!

Nothing. Matters.
    the deanstalk is a dorkus maximus

pretty sure I still liked jess the most but I came around on logan in a big way

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    but I mean when the question is "who's the primo slab of man on the GG" it's neck and neck between Richard (RIP) and Luke

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Stranger Things episode 6
    youuuuuuu can't mention Stephen King by name! It'd be like if all the kids were constantly going "gosh, this is just like our favorite movie, ET The Extra-Terrestrial, isn't it just like that movie we all know? get it, audience? it's like that movie!"

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.