As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Stranger Things episode 6
    youuuuuuu can't mention Stephen King by name! It'd be like if all the kids were constantly going "gosh, this is just like our favorite movie, ET The Extra-Terrestrial, isn't it just like that movie we all know? get it, audience? it's like that movie!"

Dude theye been doing that the whole series

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    It's not like it's some faux-sophisticated metaphor they're trying to bludgeon you with

I thought it was a cheeky lil wink to an obvious influence which doubles as normal-enough dialogue for the character

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Stranger Things episode 6
    youuuuuuu can't mention Stephen King by name! It'd be like if all the kids were constantly going "gosh, this is just like our favorite movie, ET The Extra-Terrestrial, isn't it just like that movie we all know? get it, audience? it's like that movie!"

Dude theye been doing that the whole series
    Stephen King mentions Stephen King in his books.

The show is just staying true to its inspirations.

broken image link
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    One thing I noticed about Sorkin's writing is that everyone is apparently hard of hearing.

At least once in EVERY episode of West Wing he writes, person A says something, person B responds with some form of 'I'm sorry?' indicating that they couldn't make out what was said, Person A repeats themselves more clearly, and the conversation continues as if nothing had happened. It's different characters each time and it's super weird.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the thing about Aaron Sorkin is he loves reusing dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

They just had to bring back Jess though, ugh.

Jess is a good dude though?

It's Dean and Logan who were insufferable.

All of them are terrible!

The correct opinion, is that despite my love for the show, Rory in fact is a terrible person to date.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's definitely some of that in Season 2 as well

I mean, I think there's some of that in all of the seasons, honestly

season three kind of made me start wondering if the version of the show that I liked existed anywhere other than inside my own head

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Jesus Christ

Hey, not for nothing, but don't talk to me like I'm other people. I'm not that guy.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    God damn, season three of BoJack Horseman hits like a hammer.

Episode 5
    "If you're lucky enough to find someone you can halfway tolerate, sink your nails in and don't let go, no matter what.

Because otherwise you're just gonna get older, and harder, and more alone. And you're gonna do everything you can to fill that hole, with friends, and your career, and meaningless sex, but the hole doesn't get filled. One day, you're gonna look around and you're going to realize that everybody loves you, but nobody likes you.

And that is the loneliest feeling in the world."

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    the time when someone described the dialogue in the novel I was writing as "sorkin-esque" was basically when I decided to stop writing it

Your posts are Sorkin-esque.

that's not nice

Your face is Sorkin-esque!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So wrecked turned out to be pretty great and far darker than I would have imagined

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

I cannae do it captain, its too much nostalgia!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So Zahn McClarnon, the dude what played Hanzee in Fargo's second season, also plays an occasionally recurring character on Longmire. In the first four season, he's popped up thirteen times - three or four times a season.

His work on Fargo raised his profile so much that he's gonna be in 8 of 10 episodes in Longmire's next season.

Siiiiiiiiick.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I'm always up for more Mathias

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I read that as "Zahn McClanahan" and got excited wondering if he was related to Rue McClanahan. I got as far as Google before I realized

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ

Hey, not for nothing, but don't talk to me like I'm other people. I'm not that guy.

Don't talk to me like I'm someone else!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ

Don't talk to me like I'm someone else!

Please talk to me like I'm someone else. Pretty much anyone would be an improvement.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    13872973_10102273126358648_440850741358579809_n.jpg?oh=3e2a972b88bd2add97d27df1ff549389&oe=581F83AC

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    IGNORE ME!

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Finished up Stranger Things.

Real good, real good indeed

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    yup stranger things was real good and I hope they do more of it

and hopefully it doesn't have a sophomore slump like daredevil

Shorty on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So Zahn McClarnon, the dude what played Hanzee in Fargo's second season, also plays an occasionally recurring character on Longmire. In the first four season, he's popped up thirteen times - three or four times a season.

His work on Fargo raised his profile so much that he's gonna be in 8 of 10 episodes in Longmire's next season.

Siiiiiiiiick.

Awesome. He was by far one of the best and most interesting parts of Fargo.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't think I want a second season of Stranger Things, I want them to do another genre pastiche

Reuse the same cast in different roles, even, but I want a new story from a new inspiration

I feel like continuing the exact story of Stranger Things will only diminish it, it doesn't feel built to continue in a natural way

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

The Punisher stuff in season 2 is better than anything in season 1. I don't think it's fair to call it a sophomore slump.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

The Punisher stuff in season 2 is better than anything in season 1. I don't think it's fair to call it a sophomore slump.

There is still a rest of the season, though

That's only half of it and that other half was so boring and dumb that I have yet to finish it and have no urge to

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Season 2 of Daredevil was not very good

It had a strong start (although I would not call the Punisher stuff better than anything in season 1)

But the ninja stuff was so boring, as well as being frequently inexplicable

And Matt's personal life drama started getting old pretty fast too

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's definitely fair to call it a sophomore slump

season 1 was good all the way through

season 2 was half good and half stupid bullshit

• Options
    I thought season 2 was great and do not understand the bashing of the back half. It wasn't amazing, but it was largely fine and fun

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The cool kids think that all of Daredevil is kinda lame

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    For me it's really based on the under-characterization of its villains

Daredevil as a show has shined due to its villains

Matt's fine and all, but he's not what I watch the show for

Season One gave us a half dozen different villainous factions, all maneuvering against one another while simultaneously working together, and each of those factions was headed up by a fantastically characterized leader or two, as well as, of course, their overall leader of Kingpin

And then season two came, and it started with the same thing

We got the Irish mob, who felt fully fleshed out, we got the bikers, and we got the Punisher

Excellent villain work, and then once that's all wrapped up, we have the Yakuza and shortly after it the Hand

And they didn't give us anything there, they expected us to just accept evil ninjas on principle

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Season 3 of Daredevil should be amazing if they go with The Murdock Papers/Devil in Cell Block D like they definitely should

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The cool kids think that all of Daredevil is kinda lame

So you're saying you love it?

• Options
    I also think Season Two of Daredevil suffers a little bit from having had a significantly better Marvel Netflix show happen between Season One and Season Two

It's hard to be as into Daredevil when you have Jessica Jones to compare it to

• Options
    DedpuppyDedpuppy Registered User regular
    I also think Season Two of Daredevil suffers a little bit from having had a significantly better Marvel Netflix show happen between Season One and Season Two

It was difficult for me to enjoy Jessica Jones. Almost every episode had me vaguely angry, possibly due to the fact that mind control does not sit well with me at all.

f9uosTq.png

Battle.net:Ritalynn#1974
    XBL: Tranewrek
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    This is kind of a dumb shirt

I mean I guess if you super like fonts it is cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I thought Daredevil Season 1 was of equivalent quality to Jessica Jones. They fill fairly different niches and both did so with aplomb. Daredevil Season 2 was not as good, I will admit--it's highs were, I think, higher, but it's lows lower.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.