As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Clash Royale] Join the clan, we need your crowns!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So I'm not sure how long they've been doing clan chests but how far does Clan Penny Arcade usually get in these things?

This is only the second clan chest to show up. They are a one-week on, one-week off thing. I think we got to level 6 on our last chest, mostly off the back of @Spiffy. If we were a full clan, everyone would simply have to pitch in 10 crowns a day, but since our numbers are much lower, I think a level 10 is a pipe dream. Need to get our recruit on!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So I'm not sure how long they've been doing clan chests but how far does Clan Penny Arcade usually get in these things?

This is only the second clan chest to show up. They are a one-week on, one-week off thing. I think we got to level 6 on our last chest, mostly off the back of @Spiffy. If we were a full clan, everyone would simply have to pitch in 10 crowns a day, but since our numbers are much lower, I think a level 10 is a pipe dream. Need to get our recruit on!

That wouldn't be a bad idea, it would also like having more people to do friendly battles with.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Man, I just reread the whole thread from page 1. It's funny to see how my conversation changed over time. Obsessing over not having Baby Dragon or Prince, then needing a Wizard, before claiming that Trifecta wouldn't get me past 2,300 trophies.

I stuck with it and now fluctuate from 3,200-3,600 these days. Hard to believe this game is only a year old.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Man, I just reread the whole thread from page 1. It's funny to see how my conversation changed over time. Obsessing over not having Baby Dragon or Prince, then needing a Wizard, before claiming that Trifecta wouldn't get me past 2,300 trophies.

I stuck with it and now fluctuate from 3,200-3,600 these days. Hard to believe this game is only a year old.

What's Trifecta?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

What's Trifecta?

Hog/Valkyrie/Musketeer

Usually plays by placing the Valkyrie and then Hog right behind so the Hog pushes the Valk really fast into the tower.

• Options

This made me go back and I found this gem of a post
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I wish I had access to Miner. Or any legendary for that matter.

I have all the legendaries (sitting on 40k gold for Electro Wizard when he hits my store).

yay goals!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the clan folks. May your chests be full of Epics and Legendary cards. I've never found an amazing site for decks or strays but they are out there. The best resource I've found, especially if you're new to the game, is Orange Juice gaming on YouTube.

I was watching a few clash videos on youtube yesterday but didn't find Orange Juice. Mostly it was just guys smiling into the camera, laughing and saying LULZ every few seconds (to keep the kids watching I guess). The videos were watchable but not the best examples of good strategy/basics.

I got Inferno Dragon in a chest yesterday, from what I've seen everyone says it's trash but when it works I win easily.

Inferno Dragon ( whom I affectionately call Flappy Burn Laser) is a favourite of mine. A superb defensive card for facing giant/golem/skelly giant.

In attack he is a skill check for your opponent. Do they know how to kite? Yes? Inferno Dragon will do jack. No? They let the Dragon target one of their towers omfg why would they let it target a tower holy crap what happened to the towers health??? As you mvebup arenas the Drag will get less effective as an attacker as skill levels will be sufficient to deal with it.

I use it in my deck in arena 7 but I don't think I've burned a tower with it more than 1 game in a hundred.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Welcome to the clan folks. May your chests be full of Epics and Legendary cards. I've never found an amazing site for decks or strays but they are out there. The best resource I've found, especially if you're new to the game, is Orange Juice gaming on YouTube.

I was watching a few clash videos on youtube yesterday but didn't find Orange Juice. Mostly it was just guys smiling into the camera, laughing and saying LULZ every few seconds (to keep the kids watching I guess). The videos were watchable but not the best examples of good strategy/basics.

I got Inferno Dragon in a chest yesterday, from what I've seen everyone says it's trash but when it works I win easily.

Inferno Dragon ( whom I affectionately call Flappy Burn Laser) is a favourite of mine. A superb defensive card for facing giant/golem/skelly giant.

In attack he is a skill check for your opponent. Do they know how to kite? Yes? Inferno Dragon will do jack. No? They let the Dragon target one of their towers omfg why would they let it target a tower holy crap what happened to the towers health??? As you mvebup arenas the Drag will get less effective as an attacker as skill levels will be sufficient to deal with it.

I use it in my deck in arena 7 but I don't think I've burned a tower with it more than 1 game in a hundred.

Yeah I guess I thought of it as an offensive weapon instead of a defensive one. Though at rank 6 I have burned through a ton of towers because well as you stated skill check.

• Options
    edited January 2017

My favorite trick to use with Flappy Burn Laser is to send either miner or graveyard after the tower has locked onto an injured Flappy Burn Laser.

Then zap the tower.

Laugh and watch as they thought their safe tower melts and explodes.

I'm in Legendary Arena and he destroys a tower every 5-7 games or so. Just gotta get creative in getting him to the tower after playing it defensively.

ObiFett on
  • Options

Yeah I guess I thought of it as an offensive weapon instead of a defensive one. Though at rank 6 I have burned through a ton of towers because well as you stated skill check.

You can build a deck focused around trying to get Flappy burn laser through (and indeed that's what I ran to get me to the edge of arena 7) but to be honest for that job skelly balloon is a better unit as it is only distracted by buildings.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    My Trifecta over time:

Original deck: Hog, Musk, Valk, Zap, Cannon, Poison, Skeleton, Elixir Pump
    Current deck: Hog, Musk, Valk, Zap, Cannon, Poison, Princess, Skeleton Hoard
    Core cards: Hog, Musk, Valk, Zap, Cannon
    Replacement cards: Poison (Freeze/Fireball), Princess (Skeleton/Arrows), Skeleton Hoard (Skeleton/Ice Wizard)

The idea of the deck is to play defensive and counter push. Typically, you wait for the big push units (Giant, Golem, Lava Hound, etc) and draw them with the Cannon while dropping Valk on the supporting units. Use the Princess at the bridge to get almost guaranteed chip damage (usually 1-2 shots before they counter) and force their hand. Poison is unblockable damage and can lock down a large area from them dropping troops. Preemptively drop Poison and Hog to wipe out mass unit Hog counters (Skeleton Hoard, Minion Hoard, etc). Musk behind Hog will delete huge chunks of health from towers and enemy units.

Valk is a monster at taking out a lot of squishy units, then she can tank a few shots for Hog Rider counter attack. This deck destroys most Giant pushes (Valk shreds Wizards, Witches, and so forth) and can hold it's own against most meta decks.

Royal Giant is tough but no unwinnable. You have to be more aggressive and be smart with Cannon/Valk drops against the big dick head. Elite Barbs has been rough too, thus the tech switch of Skeleton Hoard for Ice Wizard. It sucks though because Ice Wizard is SUPER good in this deck, just not good enough to help against Elite Barbs. If EB gets nerfed, I'll go back to Ice Wizard.

Air decks are tough, especially Lava Hound. You typically have to go very aggressive with Valk/Hog push as soon as they drop the Hound. Might mean a tower trade but that's what you're up against.

I've played a easily over 1,500 games with this deck and it pushed me all the way up to 3,755 trophies at one point. That has been through several meta shifts and new card releases. The deck is just overall solid and relatively inexpensive on card types (lots of Rares/Commons with few Legends). After the Elixir Pump nerf, it had to go and won't come back without a lot of changes. Poison is a solid card, but Freeze can work in a pinch. You just need to be a bit smarter when you use it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ice wizard is a card that has stayed in my deck even when it was not the best choice. I love him a little too much.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Tried double elixir for the first time this morning and oh man was I under prepared. 4/5 Decks seen were all in air, any one got a good anti air deck for double elixir?

1 of my 2 wins was against a semi typical elite barb deck and the other was out racing the air deck due to some lucky cycling. Would like to try again but definitely not with this set up.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My son pulled Inferno Dragon and I pulled Lava Hound last night. It was a good night.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I just got royal giant and I'm really impressed with him, being able to hit towers so quickly is nice to see in a tank and it gives a nice distraction so I can set up a positive elixir trade.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I just got royal giant and I'm really impressed with him, being able to hit towers so quickly is nice to see in a tank and it gives a nice distraction so I can set up a positive elixir trade.

I got up to ~4k with a royal giant deck. He can be the basis of an excellent chip deck once you get good at anticipating counters (e.g. pre-placing minions to counter an inferno tower, etc.)

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    So I'm almost level 8 now, can someone give me a primer on these tournaments or challenges or whatever? Are they like hearthstone arena where you draft a deck or do you just put your own deck in and it's capped at certain levels?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Regular tournaments are make a deck and play. Also, they are almost impossible to find these days so don't bother.

Regular challenges are like Hearthstone Arena. You can change your deck after every match, win or lose. 12 wins max or 3 losses. Some special challenges have set rules which may include drafting or random cards.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Regular tournaments are make a deck and play. Also, they are almost impossible to find these days so don't bother.

Regular challenges are like Hearthstone Arena. You can change your deck after every match, win or lose. 12 wins max or 3 losses. Some special challenges have set rules which may include drafting or random cards.

And the ones that involve drafting or random cards are the best.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Should I be upgrading cards I'm not using so that I level up, or save gold to upgrade the cards I am using? I'm guessing the latter?

• Options
    Should I be upgrading cards I'm not using so that I level up, or save gold to upgrade the cards I am using? I'm guessing the latter?

I'd upgrade all cards evenly to a point, probably level 6 or 7 for commons. It's easy to do, cheap, and helps level you up overall. If you can, get everything to tournament standards. 9/7/4/1 (C/R/E/L)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I'd upgrade all cards evenly to a point, probably level 6 or 7 for commons. It's easy to do, cheap, and helps level you up overall. If you can, get everything to tournament standards. 9/7/4/1 (C/R/E/L)

Yeah. Past this point only upgrade the cards you are actively using. You will have nowhere near enough gold to upgrade everything.

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Been away for a couple weeks over the holidays and destroyed my phone in the process, hopefully nothing needing whatever silly guild leader function I provided

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Been away for a couple weeks over the holidays and destroyed my phone in the process, hopefully nothing needing whatever silly guild leader function I provided

CROWNS!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

On the forums, I am Spaffy with an 'A'

;)

MORE CROWNS

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Great job getting to the level 7 crown chest guys!

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I have reinstalled this on a whim, despite raging at it last time.. I sent a request to join the clan, whenever someone with invite privileges is online please.

404 not found
  • Options
    How many Legendaries did we get out of the crown chest? I think I saw 2 of you got Legendaries. Anyone else get lucky?

• Options
    Any thoughts on an Arena 7 deck? Trying to push on from 2k which I'm bouncing around at.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on an Arena 7 deck? Trying to push on from 2k which I'm bouncing around at.

What legendaries do you have?

• Options

Inferno Dragon, Lava Hound, Princess.

• Options
    How often are Legendary chests available? I'm assuming they're pretty rare?

• Options
    edited January 2017

Lava Hound, Tombstone, mega minion (as soon as you get enough), Zap, then some variation on archers/musky, knight/minipekka, fireball/lightning, and/or minions (or princess).

Put a tombstone down in the middle, then at full elixir plant the lava hound way in the back corner and then use everything else to defend any counterpush. If they don't counterpush, drop the megaminion right behind your hound to make him difficult to target. Could also use balloon in the same role, but it doesn't help you on defense, where the Meta Minion is boss.

Durinia on
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 2017

You get 1 guaranteed legendary chest every 500 chests, not counting free/crown/clan chests, just the ones you get from winning matches. It will replace a random silver chest. It also won't be exactly 500, but somewhere in the 500 cycle, so it's possible to open a legendary chest and then not get another for 999 chests (499 from the first cycle + the 500th chest on the second cycle).

The same thing applies for Epic chests.

You'll get 4 each giant/magical chests and 1 super magical chest (replacing a random chest) every 240 chests.

Recap:
    Every 240 chest cycle:
    • 4 giant
    • 4 magical
    • 1 super magical

Every 500 chest cycle:
    • 1 epic
    • 1 legendary

That all make sense?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

You get 1 guaranteed legendary chest every 500 chests, not counting free/crown/clan chests, just the ones you get from winning matches. It will replace a random silver chest. It also won't be exactly 500, but somewhere in the 500 cycle, so it's possible to open a legendary chest and then not get another for 999 chests (499 from the first cycle + the 500th chest on the second cycle).

You'll get 4 each giant/magical chests and 1 super magical chest (replacing a random chest) every 240 chests.

Recap:
    Every 240 chest cycle:
    • 4 giant
    • 4 magical
    • 1 super magical

Every 500 chest cycle:
    • 1 epic
    • 1 legendary

That all make sense?

Oh I actually meant the Legendary chests you can buy in the store. I didn't now you got one in a normal cycle as well. That's pretty cool. I would imagine it takes quite a long time to get through 500 chests without using gems to open chests.

• Options

Recap:
    Every 240 chest cycle:
    • 4 giant
    • 4 magical
    • 1 super magical

Every 500 chest cycle:
    • 1 epic
    • 1 legendary

That all make sense?

Oh I actually meant the Legendary chests you can buy in the store. I didn't now you got one in a normal cycle as well. That's pretty cool. I would imagine it takes quite a long time to get through 500 chests without using gems to open chests.

It's been shown in many places that spending the gems to open silver chests if you are playing actively (to keep churning through chests) is one of the most cost-effective uses of gems in terms of turning it into cards/gold.

Only surpassed if you're really good at tournaments.

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    Durinia wrote: »

Recap:
    Every 240 chest cycle:
    • 4 giant
    • 4 magical
    • 1 super magical

Every 500 chest cycle:
    • 1 epic
    • 1 legendary

That all make sense?

It's been shown in many places that spending the gems to open silver chests if you are playing actively (to keep churning through chests) is one of the most cost-effective uses of gems in terms of turning it into cards/gold.

Only surpassed if you're really good at tournaments.

I have a bunch of gems from the Arena 7 pack thingy and I'm trying to save them for Legendary quests

• Options
    I would save my gems to purchase new card packs that show up in the store when a new card is revealed. It's like 200 gems for 100 rares, which gets you into level six card level.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Definitely a good use of them also.

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    Durinia wrote: »

Lava Hound, Tombstone, mega minion (as soon as you get enough), Zap, then some variation on archers/musky, knight/minipekka, fireball/lightning, and/or minions (or princess).

Put a tombstone down in the middle, then at full elixir plant the lava hound way in the back corner and then use everything else to defend any counterpush. If they don't counterpush, drop the megaminion right behind your hound to make him difficult to target. Could also use balloon in the same role, but it doesn't help you on defense, where the Meta Minion is boss.

Thanks for the info. I went that route and used the Princess for the long range AoE which can wreck some mobs without burning a fireball.