As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Clash Royale] Join the clan, we need your crowns!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hmm, ok thank you both for the info. I might check it out and see if it something that will grab me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I don't know what it is but this game enrages me like no other. I had to stop playing it. I think it might be the unblockable emotes. I am normally chilled out but this game just isn't healthy for me.

404 not found
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Also @SniperGuy, could you promote someone to Leader so we can mass remove people? Thanks!

I already did I thought? And yeah, kick me out.

You promoted @SeGaTai to Elder which means he can only kick someone every 20 minutes. If there isn't an option to promote to Leader, perhaps we need to close the clan and restart it. Might be faster that way.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JPJeezusJPJeezus Registered User regular
    Go ahead and kick me out too, was fun for a while but I think I'm done with the game.

Cheers!

Twitch Steam: twitch.tv/jpjeezus
    Battlenet: JPJeezus #1804
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Done!
    I hope!

OK, I've cleared out quite a few people. Now we need new faces to replace them. Join up people!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Any advice on how to stay in A6? I hover right around 1700 crowns but can't reliably stay above it. For some reason I have the hardest time against Giants. Those thing have waaaay too much health.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Inferno tower is a hard counter, any cheap building to bait them around will do as well, barbarians are probably the fastest way to burn them down once their on your side

PSN SeGaTai
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    OK, I've cleared out quite a few people. Now we need new faces to replace them. Join up people!

Sorry, I tried it out and it just doesn't mesh well with me. The info that you all posted here was helpful in starting up blind and making mistakes.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Any advice on how to stay in A6? I hover right around 1700 crowns but can't reliably stay above it. For some reason I have the hardest time against Giants. Those thing have waaaay too much health.

Hell, I'm having a hard enough time staying in Arena 4. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Chadzilla1983Chadzilla1983 Registered User regular

So far for me getting there has been the problem. I get close then get hit hard and drop like 10 games in a row. Giants drop quick against Barbs and an arrow volley won't take them out in one shot.

XBOX Live GT: Chadzilla1983
    The most frustrating thing I'm encountering now in Arena 4 is a lack of Baby Dragon. While it isn't great, it's very versatile being a flying splash damage mini-tank. Every deck online seems to have it and the recommended sub is Fireball, which isn't near the same thing. If I could pull a Wizard it wouldn't be bad, but that means getting to Arena 5 which isn't going to happen anytime soon it seems.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    So it just turns out that not playing the game made me super rusty and that's why I was having a hard time staying above 1700. What happened was that I was in Arena 6 and had enough gold saved up that I was waiting for Golem to hit my store (the only Epic I didn't have up to that Rank), so I didn't play for fear that I'd go below Arena 6 and lose out on buying the Golem. I waited for what ended up being 2-3 weeks. When I finally bought him and started playing again, I was really rusty AND was coming up against the new Giant meta. It took a bit of painful relearning but I am now up at around 1900 crowns. This is what I run:
    86ktihirvg0n.jpg

ObiFett on
    I'm about to fall out of rank 4. Time to find a new deck to run...you know, that doesn't include Baby Dragon or Prince. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I'm about to fall out of rank 4. Time to find a new deck to run...you know, that doesn't include Baby Dragon or Prince. :(

I haven't run either of those cards in ages. Prince is way too easy to completely counter with something much cheaper. Baby Dragon is nice and I think I used it up through Arena 3 or 4, but there's gotta be something else you can use.

What is your collection?

I haven't run either of those cards in ages. Prince is way too easy to completely counter with something much cheaper. Baby Dragon is nice and I think I used it up through Arena 3 or 4, but there's gotta be something else you can use.

What is your collection?

I have every card through Arena 4 except Baby Dragon, Prince, Rage, and Lava Hound. Most of my Commons are level 6/7, Rares are level 4/5, and Epics level 1 (except Skeleton Hoard and Xbow at 2).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    Naturally after posting that I win 5 in a row using the following deck:

Hog Rider 5
    Freeze 2
    Valkyrie 4
    Skeleton 6
    Spear Goblins 7
    Mini PEKKA 4
    Arrows 6
    Minion Hoard 7

That's a Freeze/Hog deck I found online with Minion Hoard in place of Baby Dragon. The only difference between the winning and losing streak is that I started playing very defensively with counter attacks as my only real offense.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    Naturally after posting that I win 5 in a row using the following deck:

Hog Rider 5
    Freeze 2
    Valkyrie 4
    Skeleton 6
    Spear Goblins 7
    Mini PEKKA 4
    Arrows 6
    Minion Hoard 7

That's a Freeze/Hog deck I found online with Minion Hoard in place of Baby Dragon. The only difference between the winning and losing streak is that I started playing very defensively with counter attacks as my only real offense.

That looks like a solid deck. For some reason, I can never make Freeze/Hog work for me.

I don't get the love for minion hoard. I feel like it always results in a negative elixir outcome when I play and when my opponent plays it I always kill it with ease.

ObiFett on
    I found pockets where everyone ran arrows to counter it, then higher up everyone drops arrows as no one runs minion horde anymore, so it shows up occasionally.

It's the only thing I imagine trades with sparky favorably but easily countered, maybe I'll just run rocket and work on aiming

PSN SeGaTai
    For me, Minion Hoard is great vs Prince, Hog, and Valkyrie. It's basically my ghetto dragon replacement, albeit at one Elixir cost higher. Gotta have my defensive unit alongside Skeleton.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I found pockets where everyone ran arrows to counter it, then higher up everyone drops arrows as no one runs minion horde anymore, so it shows up occasionally.

It's the only thing I imagine trades with sparky favorably but easily countered, maybe I'll just run rocket and work on aiming

I've only seen Sparky once and I can see why people run Zap, Minion Horde, or whatever. I didn't have a good counter in my deck and got wrecked by it. Maybe once I get high enough to run into Sparky enough I might see the value in minion horde.

ObiFett on
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Oh hey, a Clash Royale thread, yay.

I just hit Arena 7 going the f2p route (just hit 2175 trophies, woo!), so it's definitely possible, though as the OP says it's slow and steady and sometimes you will gain and lose trophies seemingly at random. In the most frustrating way possible. Couple thoughts on cards:

Minion Horde is still good, because although it can lose elixir in many cases, if you use it defensively right on top of something you will almost always get value out of it, and it has the potential to demolish a tower all by itself. You need SOME kind of scary card in your deck, unless you have something like a slow-roll elixir-pump massive-push deck. It's similar to the Barbs in this way... weak to aoe but superb on defense and sets up good counterattacks.

Sparky is absolutely terrifying, but somehow I have a pretty good record against it with my zap and skeletons. You have to keep cool and play smart in the face of annihilation. Sometimes it actually pays to ignore it and rush the other tower.

Prince can still be good, if used as an "assassin". That is, if used not to push but to drop behind your opponent's tank to kill his ranged stuff. Then it runs downfield and your opponent has to play more units to kill it. One downside, though, is actually that it's often too fast to create a counter-push. It runs out ahead of your other troops. This does make it somewhat situational, but if you're packing other fast troops (Gobbies, Hog) you can definitely get some synergy there.

Freeze got nerfed, so it's harder to use, but it can work with practice. But in general if you're having trouble with it, just play a card that provides more reliable damage.
    The only difference between the winning and losing streak is that I started playing very defensively with counter attacks as my only real offense.

This this this. Some decks do have good pushes (I use a Hog Rider - Poison deck that pushes decently), but counter-pushing is the way to win, because defending is almost always cheaper than attacking. If you spend 4 elixir on a defensive Fireball vs the same on a defensive Valkyrie, if the latter works it is obviously way better because adding merely 1-elixir Skellies gives you a viable counter-push.

One more thing. Be very "targeted" in your troop requests and upgrades. Some things matter in surprising ways. For example, the Musketeer dies to a one-level-higher Fireball, so if you're running either of these you need to keep it in mind (I think the same is true with Goblins and Zap).

EDIT: Keep an eye for how your epic cards are doing. Remember that ALL cards increase about 10% per level, so commons and rares get more powerful quicker than epics. It's easy to have an underlevelled Prince or Baby Dragon that's crippling your deck.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I just found this post where they describe the rationale behind the Tournament Rules level caps. Basically, it sets a standard for relative power level. Currently they're at 9/7/4/1 for Common/Rare/Epic/Legendary cards. Removing that last category, this means that if you balance to Epics the numbers start at 6/4/1 (Common/Rare/Epic). So if you're running around with level 7 commons and level 5 rares (which a lot of people are at), a level 1 epic is underlevelled.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    So it just turns out that not playing the game made me super rusty and that's why I was having a hard time staying above 1700. What happened was that I was in Arena 6 and had enough gold saved up that I was waiting for Golem to hit my store (the only Epic I didn't have up to that Rank), so I didn't play for fear that I'd go below Arena 6 and lose out on buying the Golem. I waited for what ended up being 2-3 weeks. When I finally bought him and started playing again, I was really rusty AND was coming up against the new Giant meta. It took a bit of painful relearning but I am now up at around 1900 crowns. This is what I run:
    86ktihirvg0n.jpg

Can you post some matches? I've been thinking of running something like that but want to watch a bit fr some strategy.

Is there a way to export matches or do o need to find some recording software for replays?

Is there a way to export matches or do o need to find some recording software for replays?

Not that I know of. If you're on iOS and have a Mac, recording is super simple using QuickTime.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

I thought you were in our clan actually. Figured you could post your replays in chat.

Incoming balance changes (6/21).
    Hog Rider: Damage decreased by 6%
    Hog Rider is currently the top choice for tower destruction! While we really enjoy seeing more offensive and action-packed games, we’d ideally like to see a bigger range of offensive cards used. The first step to achieving this is toning down the Hog Rider a notch. The second step is making some of the lesser-used offense cards more enticing.

Prince: Damage increased by 9%
    Prince terrorizes the early to mid Arenas, but as players become more experienced, he becomes less threatening. More damage will help him slice through even the toughest of Barbarians again!

P.E.K.K.A: Damage increased by 8%
    This change will allow her to kill a Barbarian with each swing (at Tournament Rules levels) and make her an even more formidable offensive option.

Goblin Barrel: Goblin spawn time decreased to 1sec (from 1.2sec)
    As one of the original hallmark cards for Clash Royale’s sillier side, we’d love to see barrels flying across the Arena once again!

X-Bow: Deploy time decreased to 4sec (from 5sec), hitpoints increased by 18%
    We were a bit brutal with our earlier X-Bow changes, to the point where it’s very rarely seen nowadays. We’d like to see it appearing in battles from time to time, but not too often as it is such a specialized card. It will still be challenging to use, but hopefully more viable in the right hands.

Mortar: Deploy time decreased to 4sec (from 5sec)
    Same principle as the X-Bow.

Furnace: Lifetime increased to 50sec (from 40sec)
    Our previous boost clearly didn't make it good enough. Adding 10 seconds to the lifetime will potentially allow for stacking of multiple Furnaces, leading to some different and interesting slow-push gameplay.

Guards: Removed pushback effect when their shields break
    Removing the pushback will allow the ruthless bone brothers to get in a couple of extra jabs, and hopefully compete for a spot in your Battle Deck.

Witch: Damage increased by 17%
    Our previous change didn't get her to the viable level we were hoping for. This change will, for example, allow her to kill Minions in three hits, instead of four (at Tournament Rules levels).

Lava Hound: Damage increased by 28%
    The Lava Hound itself isn't scary enough right now - compared to the pups - and can sometimes be ignored. This change is relatively small, but it brings the damage of the hound and the pups in line with one another.

Skeletons: Spawns 3 (from 4)
    They offer too much distraction and damage value for 1 Elixir!

Cannon: Hitpoints decreased by 8%
    Tesla: Hitpoints increased by 8%
    We’d like to see the Cannon and Tesla as interchangeable options depending on your deck preference and needs. Currently the Cannon offers more value and is the clear choice. This change will hopefully make the decision more interesting.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    I already hate Lava Hound and the only saving grace when dealing with it was that pre-explosion it was not devastating. I think we will see a new Lava Hound meta...

Scared of any X-bow buffs because I hate that card, too.

Other changes seem good, I may try Witch again.

ObiFett on
    Hoping hog rider is enough of a change, face so many decks that are all the same, based on getting hog rider to do some damage and eventually win

PSN SeGaTai
    Yeah, Hog Rider is in too many decks for sure. I'm surprised that Royal Giant didn't get a nerf, though, for the same reason.

I'm focusing on Hog/Freeze and Hog/Cycle decks right now. Currently the fluctuation is between A4 and A5. The next biggest stepping stone is getting to level 8 and getting my commons to 8 and rares to 5. Seems like most of my opponents are there currently and I'm able to hold my own or barely lose.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I hover between 1700 and 1900 crowns and I am still Level 7. I can regularly beat Level 8s and Level 9s that are in rank 6 are there because they are bad and I can usually overcome the unit level differences to beat them, too.

You don't need to be level 8 to get past rank 5.

edited June 2016
    I hover between 1700 and 1900 crowns and I am still Level 7. I can regularly beat Level 8s and Level 9s that are in rank 6 are there because they are bad and I can usually overcome the unit level differences to beat them, too.

You don't need to be level 8 to get past rank 5.

Teach me your ways wise one!

Edit: So like deck lists and replays please! :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Deck list is above!

I need to find a way to get replays off my phone.

edited June 2016
    Deck list is above!

I need to find a way to get replays off my phone.

Just share them in our clan. I know you left for greener pastures, but you can always rejoin to drop off some sweet plays.

Edit: And no Wizard for me yet. Which really sucks, because I think he'd be a perfect replacement for Baby Dragon.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I used Witch before I ever got Wizard. She's a good substitute.

And I was never in the PA clan, so I never left!

I used Witch before I ever got Wizard. She's a good substitute.

And I was never in the PA clan, so I never left!

Oh, well join up already!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2016
    I just recorded my screen showing replays of the last three games in my list:

edit: HAH! that screen recorder recorded audio from my phone? Wut?!

edit2: new video incoming...

edit3: ok, new video uploading, with horrible commentary from me. I haven't listened to it yet at all and I probably never will so don't make fun of me.

ObiFett on
    edited June 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1UMZ3F8i9Q

I was doing the commentary while at work, so that explains why I may sound quiet.

ObiFett on