As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Clash Royale] Join the clan, we need your crowns!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That was an interesting 40+ clan messages to wake up to

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    anyone else having issues with the app randomly causing screen to go black? not from extended play, but turn on phone, load app, randomly goes black at the menus and in game.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    That was an interesting 40+ clan messages to wake up to

Yeah, that was totally bizarre and somehow completely unrelated to one another.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    General Guide to Obi's weird deck:
    iobjy20z4qcy.jpg

Basic Strategy: I try and get Elixir Collectors down and deny their Elixir Collector. Witch behind the tower if there no EC in opening hand. Cycle/Defend intelligently until you can get EC down. Its important to know the best places for EC to avoid Rockets/Miners/etc. Bait them into over-committing, then use Skeleton Giant to blow up an entire side of the board and then counter push. Miner (+ Poison if late game) is best for supporting a counter push since it will usually soak up any AOE heavy defense they drop and/or prevent any weakened troops from dying to the tower. Lots of people will fireball barbs thinking their tower will finish it off, which it won't because my miner will soak up that damage enough for barbs to get quite a bit of hits on it. Which means they are forced to spend more elixir and almost always gives an elixir advantage. Once a solid Elixir advantage is gained and I know their defenses, I push Skeleton Giant backed up with whatever kills their tank defense: Minions for Valk/MP/Cannon/Bomb/Inferno, Witch for Barbs/Minions/Goblins. If I get into a super defensive battle, then keeping my ECs alive while killing their usually means I can outpush them once into Overtime. Killing their Elixir collector is key. Don't be afraid to play Miner and Poison if they play something to counter miner, it'll still be a positive elixir trade usually. Don't be afraid to take a bit of damage early in exchange for getting an elixir advantage. Once an Elixir advantage is gained, this deck can defend against anything which will turn into more advantage and insane counter pushes that they won't be able to deal with. Getting SG to their tower once is normally all that's needed. The deck will either get a surprise first tower down (off a good counter push) or will defend solidly all game until building up an unstoppable push very lategame. Don't expect to get more than 1 tower reliably. I usually win 1-0.

Specific Strats:

Trifecta (Hog/MP/Valk/Musketeer): Let them build up their usual Valk+Musketeer/MP and plop the SG right in front of it. Positive elixir trade every time. SG is also useful for not letting Hog push the Valk into your tower, since the Valk will get caught up on the SG and then the hog will go around the SG. Once the hog is past SG, Barbs/MP/Minions can take care of it. SG will win the battle against Valk and now you've got a counter push. They will continue to chip away, but its possible to defend and using an EC to stop lategame hogs from finishing off a weakened tower is definitely viable. 50/50 matchup

Giant + any support (including Sparky) - My favorite deck to deal with and one of the main decks this one counters. Once I see them place their support/Giant in the back, either place my EC or if I don't have EC, then wait a sec and place Witch/Barbs behind my tower on the same side. Play any other cheap cards or MP as far back as possible to get SG in my hand. By the time the forces meet near the bridge, either they will place their giant or they will start placing support for their giant. Slide SG right between their Giant and right in front of their support. SG will start attacking their support, locking all their support away from their Giant. My support will kill their Giant, their support will kill my SG which will blow up, killing all of their support. Now I have all my support alive and all their stuff is dead. Counter push! 90/10 matchup.

Lava Hound - As soon as they play Lava Hound, play SG right on the bridge on the same side. If they defend it and kill it, the bomb will usually be in perfect position to hurt the Lava Hound. Save Witch/Minions to kill the Lava Hound. Poison the pups when they come out. Keep your ECs up and gain that elixir advantage and make a solid push late game. Lava hound decks normally focus on anti-air which means SG can almost always reach their tower at least once which is all it needs. 70/30 matchup.

PEKKA/3 Musketeers - They spend 16 mana. You drop SG right behind their PEKKA and right in front of their 3M with minions/witch to clean up any health PEKKA has. All their stuff dies, my support is left, counter push. If they split push, then minions can take on the lone musketeer while SG handles the PEKKA side. I focus on keeping my EC up and killing theirs with Miner/Poison. 60/40 matchup.

Royal Giant - How they support RG should determine how you attack RG. Minions if they use bomber/valk. MP if they use wizard. Barbs if they have no support. Then counter push with whatever is alive with miner on the tower. Use EC to gain elixir advantage and then keep pushing. If I keep pushing then they normally can't get the elixir and/or situation to be able to drop enough RGs to get my tower. This matchup is odd because when I win its normally 2-1 because we will both get towers before overtime, but then I will usually get the first second tower in OT. 50-50 matchup

Rush Decks - Hardest matchup that is very dependent on opening hand. Poison/Witch/Barbs are vital. They are super important for defense early and then for offense (supporting pushes) late game. Don't be afraid to take a bit of chip damage early in order to get everything setup so that a supported SG can get to their tower. 30-70 matchup.

Building Decks - SG/Poison are key here. Well placed poison can usually chip their tower while also hurting 1-2 buildings. These decks usually like to use their building spawns to build up to a massive push, which SG stops dead in its tracks. Save SG to stop those massive waves or to push into their side supported by Witch/Minions. Miner/Poison will take down a tower eventually and everything else will defend any push they make. 60-40 matchup

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    4 new cards coming! 2 Rare, 2 Legendary. Each will be released 2 weeks apart. First one is the Mega Minion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4urpKv-NUDo

In addition, they're adding the Arena from Hearthstone (play to 12 wins or 3 losses). Small Arena is 10 gems with a max prize of 2000 gold and 100 cards, with the Big Arena being 100 gems and a max prize of 22,000 gold and 1,100 cards. Tournament level standards. This is something I'll definitely be into trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vVI4TSt_o

Also new chests! Epic and Legendary chests that contain only those cards (10 Epic or 1 Legend). Can be found in battles or bought from the shop (10,000 gold Epic or 500 gem Legendary).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSmM3N669Eo

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    is the new "arena" mode any kind of draft or is it still constructed?

• Options
    All constructed

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Made it to Arena 9 briefly before falling out. I also finally spent money on this game, $9.99 for the 1,500 gems, 100k gold, and Magical Chest. A pretty good value and honestly fair after all the time and enjoyment I've gotten out of the game (well, frustration too but...).

Got a Magical and Super Magical chest waiting for the next Legendary card to appear before opening. Hopefully I'll get something good.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My current chest situation right now:wk6wts6kat56.png

The legendary and epic ones dropped back to back! I normally open a gold one each night but have been backed up on those too.

Luck.png 393.6K
  • Options
    May they not contain Logs or X-Bows.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    May they not contain Logs or X-Bows.

Got Lumberjack (who is an awesome replacement for Mini-Pekka as suggested on the clan board) from the legendary chest

Got some Witches from the Epic chest which was useful since I love that card, too.

Now if the game will just offer me the 500 gems for a legendary chest promotion...

• Options
    I have 800 gems but didn't bite on the legendary chest. I'm saving those for Challenge mode matches and to buy bundles of new cards when they release.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm sitting on 1100, so 500 for a legendary when I only have miner and lumberjack sounds like a good deal to me

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The King's Cup challenge has revealed that a lot of players can basically only play a deck list they have downloaded off the internet and read the strategy guide for. The level of play I have been up against has been close to that of a toddler randomly thrashing the screen.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    It seems like the Balloon/Giant/Rage deck is top tier.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So of the deck match up in King's Cup are brutal. Those 2 random cards can be the difference between life and death, bascially if you get a building or not to distract the opponent.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Apparently all the new cards have been leaked:

http://clashroyalearena.com/news/new-cards-gameplay-leak

Tornado [Epic] 3 Elixir- We can now see how it works. But its basically area damage + displacement without hurting buildings.
    Elite Barbarians [Epic] 6 Elixir - We can now see how they work. They are essentially 2 higher HP lumberjacks with slower attack speed and without the rage drop.
    Clone [Epic] 3 Elixir - Creates a 1hp clone of all allied units within a radius. I can see this getting out of hand really quickly and will force all players to have either arrows or poison or tornado. This is waaaay undercosted, imo.
    Electro Wizard [Legendary] 4 Elixir - Zaps the area when summoned. Fast moving, low hp. Does chain damage to up to 3(?) targets and stuns for .5 seconds.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    clone seems super silly. even with a really small radius you could make for some truly painful scenarios.

• Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    Been playing this awhile and didn't even think to check if there was a clan for PA (request to join sent). It's good to play once every few days. Don't post here often but been a member for years.

I seem to be one of the few players in the game that likes using crossbow. However having started playing challenges and getting destroyed by every player with a legendary I need to try something else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    X-Bow has been making a comeback lately, much to my displeasure. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I lost two games to X-bow decks in the current challenge. It can be really annoying to deal with since they've added the fire and ice spirits

• Options
    New Arena and the 4 extra cards are interesting.

• Options
    Clash has really been good on keeping the content up-to-date and having monthly balance patches. The tournaments, clan chests, and so forth really feel like they should have been in the game from the start. Ah well, at least they are there now.

As an aside, I'm shocked more people aren't checking out this thread. CR is usually a top-5 app store game so I'd figure a large group of people here must play it. I'm guessing the game had a huge initial rush of folks here that just got bored and moved on.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I was able to join the PA Clash Royale clan, I'm leading in crowns for the guild chest currently. We're almost at level 2. Does anyone have a good site for decks/strategy? It's nice to have a game on my phone that's so fast to play and is also A GAME which is so unusual for most mobile "games"

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My kids got me into this so I thought I'd toss my hat in for an invite.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Welcome to the clan folks. May your chests be full of Epics and Legendary cards. I've never found an amazing site for decks or strays but they are out there. The best resource I've found, especially if you're new to the game, is Orange Juice gaming on YouTube.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Welcome to the clan folks. May your chests be full of Epics and Legendary cards. I've never found an amazing site for decks or strays but they are out there. The best resource I've found, especially if you're new to the game, is Orange Juice gaming on YouTube.

I was watching a few clash videos on youtube yesterday but didn't find Orange Juice. Mostly it was just guys smiling into the camera, laughing and saying LULZ every few seconds (to keep the kids watching I guess). The videos were watchable but not the best examples of good strategy/basics.

I got Inferno Dragon in a chest yesterday, from what I've seen everyone says it's trash but when it works I win easily.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I just found this thread, but have been playing since it released. Don't need a clan invite - I run a full state-local one that's super active.

I will second the suggestion of Orange Juice's channel. Seriously, go watch all his stuff from the beginning and you will learn a ton. Sick of the new Elite Barb meta? You can get gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw2Vjr6VXq8

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    That video shows how OP Barbs are since the best counters to that incredibly fast and deadly unit are combos of like 2-3 cards. Don't have those exact set of cards in your hand at the same time? you are SOL

ObiFett on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    You have lots of options for countering them with a single card. A single ice golem can kite them and shut them down for a 4 elixer advantage, and tombstone or skele army can shut them down for 3 elixer. If it's an elite barb + ice golem push you'll probably need 2 or more cards to counter, but that's to be expected since that's 8 elixer your opponent spent on the attack.

(I do agree they're very overpowered right now, though.)

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Supercell has been good about letting the meta settle before adjusting. People are learning how to counter them finally, but I do expect they'll get a small ratchet down (maybe 5%) in the next balance pass.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Just got a shiny new phone so decided to give this a whirl, and it's pretty fun! I still need to get to level 3 before asking for an invite, but I'm sure I'll be sticking with this game.

So once your chest slots are full you can't level up anymore either? You just gain a bit of gold that way?

• Options
    You can still gain rank if your chest slots are full

• Options
    I'm so mad at myself. I got myself up to Arena 7 and I should have just sat there and opened free chests until I got the commons but I didn't and I'm getting rekt in Arena 6 by Elite Barbs and the like. Sigh. I have yet to find a deck I can perform decently with.

• Options
    I'm so mad at myself. I got myself up to Arena 7 and I should have just sat there and opened free chests until I got the commons but I didn't and I'm getting rekt in Arena 6 by Elite Barbs and the like. Sigh. I have yet to find a deck I can perform decently with.

Just build a deck around the hog rider. It's almost always good at any arena.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Alternatively, find what is beating you consistently and build a deck to specifically beat that deck.

So satisfying.

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    hey, a CR thread!

I have always found Mortar decks to soar through the ranks as well. At some point they peter out for Xbow, but people hardly seem to build around siege.

Beefers on
  • Options

I felt the same way when I was in your situation, but looking back I shouldn't have worried. In fact, there were a couple times when I barely made it into an Arena and then hung out getting free chests and regretted it because I would usually hit a massive losing streak from being rusty due to not playing for too long.

You'll get to solidly in Arena 7 before you know it.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    ObiFett wrote: »

I felt the same way when I was in your situation, but looking back I shouldn't have worried. In fact, there were a couple times when I barely made it into an Arena and then hung out getting free chests and regretted it because I would usually hit a massive losing streak from being rusty due to not playing for too long.

You'll get to solidly in Arena 7 before you know it.

Thanks! I've been doing some more hog rider shenanigans which seems to be working a little bit better. That and Furnace which has been so helpful with skeletons and such

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    So I'm not sure how long they've been doing clan chests but how far does Clan Penny Arcade usually get in these things?