As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Preacher]? I hardly know her! (Spoiler rules in OP)

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Show observation and question:
    I see Jesse didn't learn anything about vaguely worded commands. "Serve God" is going to be interpreted by a guy who listens to animals being slaughtered in all kinds of fun ways!

What's Jesse and Emily's relationship, exactly? They know each other as kids? She just works for the church and he inherited her? She works for the church because of Jesse and he's dense? Possibly all of the above and we'll find out or I missed a scene?

Xeddicus on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm thinking some combination of all of the above, but that's more based on insinuation. I don't think they've been explicit about it, unless I missed something.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Well, that episode was just a big ball of happiness and sunshine.

Looks like things are starting to happen, but there's still a lot of waiting for other shoes to drop. Practically a whole Payless Shoe Source at this point. Promo for next week makes it look like shit is going to get real, and I'm petty excited.

Also, the visuals on this show continue to be gorgeous.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Those western flashbacks. Have been so good.

steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Serious I mean they are without knowledge of the comic completely separate from the proceedings, but holy shit are they bleak and set the tone. Honestly I find myself wondering with Jesse's power... spoilers natch

If every voice usage has a good and bad to it, like the dude who cut his own heart out. If so holy shit that town is about to have a lot of awful things with how Jesse was just barking people around. Though it was humorous how happy he seemed to be making people do things for him.

Also how fucking stupid is that preacher in the past? You mention you don't think you ever saw a man love killing like the dude on the horse so you shoot his horse? DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU!?

Sheriff is way more nuanced in this, and his moment of anger at ass face while horrifying was completely sadly understandable.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    This show moves so goddamn slow.

And Tulip (or the actor) continues to be the worst.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this show so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I've been good about avoiding comic spoilers, but I'm getting more and more tempted to start reading up on the comic storyline as it goes just due to wanting to know what's actually going on. Hopefully I can hold out, or, worst case, read the actual comics rather than just spoiling myself by reading summaries and/or clicking on spoilers in here.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    abotkin wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this show so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I've been good about avoiding comic spoilers, but I'm getting more and more tempted to start reading up on the comic storyline as it goes just due to wanting to know what's actually going on. Hopefully I can hold out, or, worst case, read the actual comics rather than just spoiling myself by reading summaries and/or clicking on spoilers in here.

Aside from the cowboy opening the show has veered wildly from the source material so reading the comics other than giving you appreciation for the stuff the show is deftly leaving out wouldn't really tell you much.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Show Cowboy:
    When the cowboy saw that family from the general store being murdered and raped in the backroom, was that actually happening, or was he projecting his fears? That was definitely a different kid the next morning, I think?

I'm also now unclear on what those bodies are in that tree. I thought he had butchered the people he was camped with, or is that just the Ratwater Hanging Tree? Because now it seems like he was specifically trying to not murder people until the end there.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Feels to me like they are going to parcel out the cowboy story for the entire season before using him for the finale as a hook for the next season.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Show Cowboy:
    When the cowboy saw that family from the general store being murdered and raped in the backroom, was that actually happening, or was he projecting his fears? That was definitely a different kid the next morning, I think?

I'm also now unclear on what those bodies are in that tree. I thought he had butchered the people he was camped with, or is that just the Ratwater Hanging Tree? Because now it seems like he was specifically trying to not murder people until the end there.
    show spoiler

I believe it was a different unrelated family being raped and murdered, and then he saw the family he met on the trail showing up and was afraid that was their fate, but instead it appeared they were there to turn in native american scalps and perfectly fine as evidenced by the cheery child.

Tree just looks like a hanging tree because ratwater is an awful place.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

I believe it was a different unrelated family being raped and murdered, and then he saw the family he met on the trail showing up and was afraid that was their fate, but instead it appeared they were there to turn in native american scalps and perfectly fine as evidenced by the cheery child.

Yeah it is. Good god.

Ok, that makes way more sense. I missed the connection to the first cowboy opener (possibly because I wrote them all off as dead).

Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

Yeah it is. Good god.

Ok, that makes way more sense. I missed the connection to the first cowboy opener (possibly because I wrote them all off as dead).

It's ok it's been a bit since the first opener don't fault you for forgetting.

I almost wonder depending on how much story they have with the cowboy if a disc option would be to have his story play out in sequence unrelated to the show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

The people hung from the tree were shown to be scalped.

Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

Scalping doesn't always kill a person silicon...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Why ah used to get scalped three times on mah way to school e'ry day. T'wernt no big thang.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Felt like Akira Yamaoka did the score for the western flashback bits of this episode.
    abotkin wrote: »

At this point it's already diverged so much that the show is way way waaay different than the comic, when it comes to the characters. General plotline (what little has started) seems to follow the comics though.

And re: comics, a certain character we briefly very saw: (comics spoiler)
    Was that Starr in the white suit and hat watching snuff movies at the start of episode 3? Feels like a too deliberate nod.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the western horse drawn wagon to me? Like it went past him, had the kid in it, he changes his mind goes back, theres a wagon with just blood in it. Confused.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the western horse drawn wagon to me? Like it went past him, had the kid in it, he changes his mind goes back, theres a wagon with just blood in it. Confused.

I think he thought
    It was from the kid. Turns out it was just a pile of scalps.

Thanks Doc.

So did I miss something? What did Eugene do to Tracy Loach?
    As far as I aware, he just tried to commit suicide and she was injured in a horse riding accident

Hasn't been said yet, its just left vague. I'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

Huh? My point was
    the people hanging were likely either Natives or Mexicans as that's the two groups the Ratwater saloon was collecting scalps for. It wasn't the group of white people the cowboy was camped with the day before. Plus the bodies are rotting or dessicated which wouldn't happen overnight so that's more evidence it wasn't any of the people he was camping with.

Show Cowboy:

show spoiler

Huh? My point was
    the people hanging were likely either Natives or Mexicans as that's the two groups the Ratwater saloon was collecting scalps for. It wasn't the group of white people the cowboy was camped with the day before. Plus the bodies are rotting or dessicated which wouldn't happen overnight so that's more evidence it wasn't any of the people he was camping with.

You misunderstood what I was saying.

At the bar the cowboy sees a man dead and a boy about to watch his mother be raped, on his way out of town he passes the family he camped with for a night and he feared they were about to be murdered/killed the same way, instead they were apparently there to sell scalps because everything is awful.

The tree comment from me was it looked just like a hanging tree, I don't think arbitrary knew either way.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So did I miss something? What did Eugene do to Tracy Loach?
    As far as I aware, he just tried to commit suicide and she was injured in a horse riding accident

I assumed
    they had a suicide pact and both failed, or murder/suicide and noones going to prosecute the sheriffs son. Mother lied about horse accident to save face/prevent judgement? Or accident was his fault so he tried to kill himself after the fact...

steam_sig.png
    My own hypothesis on Tracy:
    I think he was definitely involved with her death, but probably in more a criminal negligence or manslaughtery sort of way.

Alternately, he tried to kill himself in such a way that led to her accident, like he tried to shoot himself and it spooked her horse.

But hasn't the show alluded to him having done some shitty things? Maybe they were dating and he was abusive and something got out of hand.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My own hypothesis on Tracy:
    I think he was definitely involved with her death, but probably in more a criminal negligence or manslaughtery sort of way.

Alternately, he tried to kill himself in such a way that led to her accident, like he tried to shoot himself and it spooked her horse.

But hasn't the show alluded to him having done some shitty things? Maybe they were dating and he was abusive and something got out of hand.

Eugene was also concerned God had stopped talking to him since the incident so I assume he was a pleasant Christian beforehand.

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    My theory
    was suicide pact. Say both were sat on the floor, back to back, he's maybe a bit taller so his head is slightly above hers. He puts the gun to his face and pulls the trigger and it comes out the back of his head and takes the back off the top of her head. Obviously the flaw is how can he blow the back of his own head off but I figured this is simply dismissed given he shot himself in the faced and lived

Oakey on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Serious I mean they are without knowledge of the comic completely separate from the proceedings, but holy shit are they bleak and set the tone. Honestly I find myself wondering with Jesse's power... spoilers natch

If every voice usage has a good and bad to it, like the dude who cut his own heart out. If so holy shit that town is about to have a lot of awful things with how Jesse was just barking people around. Though it was humorous how happy he seemed to be making people do things for him.

Also how fucking stupid is that preacher in the past? You mention you don't think you ever saw a man love killing like the dude on the horse so you shoot his horse? DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU!?

Sheriff is way more nuanced in this, and his moment of anger at ass face while horrifying was completely sadly understandable.

I haven't read the series but I am vaguely aware of who the dude is in the western flashbacks. I still keep hoping for an entire episode set in that time period though.

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    most recent episode typing up many of the more random threds from the previous episodes

some quite good weird physical comedy stuff at the beginning too

obF2Wuw.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I've been on the fence but that episode finally sold me on the show.

I can't wait to see where all this goes

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Episode late, but I took a bit to watch the episode before last:
    Totally called Meat and Power guy going off the rails. Assuming he didn't break the programming, but seems he just "served god" in his own special way...

Jesse needs to go to hell, not Eugene, for wiping that smile off Emily's face with the mention of Tulip's 1 day of helping out. Jerkface.

Speaking of: I see they couldn't think of anything for Tulip to do so Emily suddenly trusts her with anything.

But the rest was good stuff. Angel fights are awesome. I don't expect we'll get many of those, sadly.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, that sure was an episode where things happened.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    that ending was super dumb

could use less of jesse custer being a huge idiot in order to advance the plot

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    that ending was super dumb

could use less of jesse custer being a huge idiot in order to advance the plot

Seems standard. Thoughtless comments becoming reality is Curses 101.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    still, you'd think he'd figure it out after like the 10th time it happened

(actually I can't remember, does Jesse know about any of the fucked up things that happened when he Voiced before?)

KalTorak wrote: »
    still, you'd think he'd figure it out after like the 10th time it happened

(actually I can't remember, does Jesse know about any of the fucked up things that happened when he Voiced before?)

Just the first one, unless we're counting
    giving the vegetative girl's mother false hope as fucked up.

Because it kind of was.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I read the comic a long time ago, all the characters being stupid assholes is kind of the thing with Preacher. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's probably what one should expect.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I think this most recent episode is the first time I've really bought into the show. I liked that things seem to be picking up a bit more. I was starting to think about waiting and just marathon watching the rest of the season once it was over but after this one I think I'll try to keep current.

Spoilers discussing most recent episode events.
    I can't have been the only one who thought something bad was going to happen to Eugene in that tunnel. And then when Jesse started losing his temper at him I was afraid for him again. This time rightly so. Poor kid.

Also, lots of damnit Jesse events. How do you not listen to two angels who just saved your ass from a third angel over the course of what was probably a multi-hour long fight?

Liked the bit with the mayor finally moving on some form of coverup for the dead bodies. The way that character has been shown to be rather spineless I knew he wasn't going to rat out the person who probably provides the most jobs and tax revenue to the entire town.