As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Preacher]? I hardly know her! (Spoiler rules in OP)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I wonder if the TV show will destroy as many penises as the books did.

Good lord, Ennis loved destroying penises.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I wonder if the TV show will destroy as many penises as the books did.

Good lord, Ennis loved destroying penises.

Have they cast Herr Starr yet?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I can't remember how far I got into The Boys but I never finished it for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I can't stand to read comics at the normal pace of 24 pages a month, so I was waiting on the next trade of The Boys to come out and got distracted.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I can't stand to read comics at the normal pace of 24 pages a month, so I was waiting on the next trade of The Boys to come out and got distracted.

oh right that's what happened.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We can all catch up when The Boys airs on Cinemax.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is there any way to legally watch this (even for purchase) without Cable?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Amazon has the season up for sale.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

This is awesome but also given the creatives involved seems like it would go down the tubes if Preacher does poorly. (Which is kind of backwards--arguably The Boys is much more accessible in today's market.) So not that I wasn't before, but I'm really hoping this AMC show does well.

Plus I think it's great that AMC has been trying to follow TWD with more comic book adaptations (still waiting for that Thief of Thieves thing to happen). I think they could do some great work if they got their hands on the right material.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

This is awesome but also given the creatives involved seems like it would go down the tubes if Preacher does poorly. (Which is kind of backwards--arguably The Boys is much more accessible in today's market.) So not that I wasn't before, but I'm really hoping this AMC show does well.

Plus I think it's great that AMC has been trying to follow TWD with more comic book adaptations (still waiting for that Thief of Thieves thing to happen). I think they could do some great work if they got their hands on the right material.

A network could fill its schedule with the last few years of Image books alone.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Slingbox has it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Amazon has the season up for sale.

Cool, thanks.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Slingbox has it.

I've heard of Slingbox but I'm not exactly sure what it is...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Buh, I'm old. It's not called slingbox, it's called sling tv.

https://www.sling.com/

Like Netflix, except way less to watch and all the commercials of cable. But you get SOME current tv.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    I just checked up on Humble Bundle for The Boys and you can download a miniseries for free if you scroll down and enter you email for the sample. The funny thing is, if you follow the link you get in your email you can also download loads of other books from the bundle for free, so I guess they switch the samples and keep the old ones in there? Anyway, anyone interested in The Boys should have a look at Humble Bundle now and grab some of those books.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As someone who has no familiarity with the comic, and thus no expectations or baggage going in, I thought it was a fantastic pilot.

Which isn't to say it's perfect, but it gave me exactly what I needed to know about the tone and feel of the show, introduced the players in a way that made me want to know more about them, and suggested some directions in which the plot might unfold.

There were some pacing issues and some rough patches in the dialogue, but whatever, it's a pilot. It's expected to have some flaws. But it made me want to know more and see where the story goes, and I could watch Ruth Negga be awesome all day long. Best character intro I've seen in ages.

So yeah, I'm firmly on board.

I've seen people complaining that it's not a road trip show, but that could very well be for budgetary reasons. Keeping your sets handy has gotta save some major bucks. I think this show might kind of annoy people who want a more faithful translation, judging by initial feedback, but whatever. I hope it does well, because Not Howard Stark and Not Flower Girl are great and deserve a show.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I agree that it's probably not a road trip for budget reasons, which is why I wrote I can see that coming in season 2 if the show does well.
    And I don't mind deviations from the source material.
    I am definitely giving this another couple of episodes before I make up my mind. The source material is problematic in itself, as has been mentioned multiple times, so changes are good. It's just that the comic placed more importance on certain things and that the characters are quite different(Jesse's dad in the flashbacks? Totally did not imagine him like that). So it takes some adjusting for readers/fans of the original series.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I could see Preacher being fairly cheapish outside of the actors and practical effects versus the walking dead, so hopefully it does well enough they can take it out of town.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I am sad that they will very probably not have an episode where Jesse talks about Bill Hicks and meeting him in a bar.

Librarian on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah he'll just run into Dennis Leary instead...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Comics spoiler related to the show's setting:
    Has it been confirmed that the entire show is set in that town? I kind of got the feeling that this all might be a setup - introducing and humanizing the people in Jesse's congregation before the Word of God leaves them as ashes. It would be a lot better motivation than the book, where they were all pretty much shown as subhuman scum, and their deaths were as much a punchline as dramatic moment.

One thing about Preacher the comic is that, while it had moments of humanity, it was constantly cruel to almost everyone who wasn't a main character or Arseface. I can see why a showrunner might want to cut back on that attitude, since it goes down a lot easier when funnily drawn caricatures are wrecked by "our heroes" than it would if they did the same to humans played by actors.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Comics spoiler related to the show's setting:
    Has it been confirmed that the entire show is set in that town? I kind of got the feeling that this all might be a setup - introducing and humanizing the people in Jesse's congregation before the Word of God leaves them as ashes. It would be a lot better motivation than the book, where they were all pretty much shown as subhuman scum, and their deaths were as much a punchline as dramatic moment.

One thing about Preacher the comic is that, while it had moments of humanity, it was constantly cruel to almost everyone who wasn't a main character or Arseface. I can see why a showrunner might want to cut back on that attitude, since it goes down a lot easier when funnily drawn caricatures are wrecked by "our heroes" than it would if they did the same to humans played by actors.

Haven't seen it yet, but this is what I expected from the trailers. There was a bit in the trailer that looked like it was on a plane.

• Options
    There was, in fact, a bit on a plane!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Possibly the best part of the episode, in fact!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Watched it. Seemed pretty good, got me interested in seeing where the next few episodes go at least.
    Surprised to see Quincannon show up so early

From the IMDB cast page I see there's no Saint of Killers yet, which makes sense - if they're not on the road, it's sort of hard to integrate him, and he'd be a good draw for season 2.

• Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

I'd put it second, after Tulip's introduction.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I liked it. It's setting up it's characters nicely, and getting us comfortable with the town and it's people. I wish the episode ended the way to comics began:

Comic Spoilers
    With the Church blowing up once it got into Jesse.

but I have a feeling that we'll see that coming soon. Or whoever those guys watching the church are will do something that will push Preacher and Co. onto the road. Honestly, I wouldn't care if it didn't become a road trip. That's all 90s craze anyhow, along with Neo-Nazis, and the "good guys" being openly homophobic, things I hope the show decides to leave out.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's going to be weird watching this show, trying to figure out what's familiar from the comic and what's been changed completely

are they really staying in annville the whole season? that sounds boring

also (comic spoilers)
    tulip being in touch with jesse before genesis hits him seems to rule out the whole jesse's evil family plot. the whole thing was that he abandoned her because they threatened to kill her if he didn't go back to the church

these aren't bad changes, necessarily. like, the thing the show is now is not bad in and of itself. but i'm not sure why you'd bother, or what was wrong with the story as it originally stood

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I thought Tulip's intro, once it got to the farmhouse, was really camp and tonally jarring. I'm already not liking her very much. Hopefully that changes.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

I thought Tulip's intro, once it got to the farmhouse, was really camp and tonally jarring. I'm already not liking her very much. Hopefully that changes.

I have no idea what they're going for with Tulip

Tulip should be uncomfortable with violence! like, good at it, but doesn't enjoy it and isn't as inclined as Jesse and Cassidy to do it recreationally

this is key to the themes of Preacher imo

• Options
    edited May 2016

As is Jesse's disdain for simple-minded yokels and their false piety, none of which comes across in the pilot

So far this isn't a terribly Preacher version of Preacher.

Atomika on
  • Options

Campy is definitely one of the tones they are aiming for, and I think the tonal jarring is 100 percent intentional. This is a show that announced from the space scene that it is going to be a show that veers from one extreme to another.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like one of the most important indicators of what the show is likely to be like was the "produced by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg" towards the beginning.

They aren't gonna play it totally straight.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    They shouldn't though. The comic doesn't play it totally straight. It's not always clear what exactly the irony or snark are aimed at, but the comic always has its tongue firmly planted in its cheek. IIRC it very much goes for an in-your-face, punk 'tude.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Campy is definitely one of the tones they are aiming for, and I think the tonal jarring is 100 percent intentional. This is a show that announced from the space scene that it is going to be a show that veers from one extreme to another.

Tulip's part is the only part I would consider "campy" in the pilot, and it wasn't even the whole intro segment. The part with the fight in the car is played totally serious, and then it goes into high camp when she gets to the farm house. It just didn't work for me, unlike Cassidy on the plane, which was more manic and gonzo than campy. Also, Tulip is really kind of a blah character so far; neither her nor Cassidy seem to have much to do, but at least Cassidy is funny and charismatic.

• Options
    edited May 2016

As is Jesse's disdain for simple-minded yokels and their false piety, none of which comes across in the pilot

So far this isn't a terribly Preacher version of Preacher.

It feels like something Garth Ennis of today would write. One of the tics he lost after Preacher was the reflexive nihilism of Preacher.

To me, the biggest revision from the show to the comic was not the plot changes or the tweaking of Jesse and Tulip, but the way they show the other characters as human beings instead of gross caricatures to be dispatched in funny ways. The sheriff is a great example - he's still a dick but those moments of awkward concern for his son make him a person. The original is a redneck bigot as imagined by an Irishman whose only experience with the type came from watching Cool Hand Luke and Smokey and the Bear.

It's a great change. One of the reasons Preacher ran out of steam in the latter third for me was that I had so tired of the main trio's bullshit that I didn't really want to read about them anymore. Allowing other human characters to live, breathe and react to them will make it easier to balance their worst qualities.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Taking bets now:
    Those two guys: Angels or The Grail?

• Options

Tulip's part is the only part I would consider "campy" in the pilot, and it wasn't even the whole intro segment. The part with the fight in the car is played totally serious, and then it goes into high camp when she gets to the farm house. It just didn't work for me, unlike Cassidy on the plane, which was more manic and gonzo than campy. Also, Tulip is really kind of a blah character so far; neither her nor Cassidy seem to have much to do, but at least Cassidy is funny and charismatic.

The ridiculous fight in a car swerving through an infinite corn field was played straight? Definitely not the way we viewed it.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Taking bets now:
    Those two guys: Angels or The Grail?
    I'm going to go with Angels. From the "foreign tourist blending in badly" costumes to the teabag thing, they felt really alien.

The guys on the plane and the ones Tulip shot down in the helicopter, though. They were totally The Grail.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I don't know if people might be interested in this article in the guardian as it might give some clues with regards to how things might change between this tv series and the comic?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The ridiculous fight in a car swerving through an infinite corn field was played straight? Definitely not the way we viewed it.

Even though the endless cornfield was stupid.

I thought they were playing it straight.

steam_sig.png