As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You'll die again and again, again and again, and so on. Dark Souls

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    rude

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    rude

doesn't mean it's not true

also the boss you have to fight to get there is just. terrible.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    doing a fresh DS3 thanks to the latest balance tunings

i really hate myself for overlooking the great scythe on all my other playthroughs, this is a really fantastic weapon when infused. greatsword range/speed/damage, longsword stamina usage, appropriately gimmicky weapon art

im in love!

don't kick yourself for overlooking it - they were only buffed the last patch, and were not so great before then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    doing a fresh DS3 thanks to the latest balance tunings

i really hate myself for overlooking the great scythe on all my other playthroughs, this is a really fantastic weapon when infused. greatsword range/speed/damage, longsword stamina usage, appropriately gimmicky weapon art

im in love!

don't kick yourself for overlooking it - they were only buffed the last patch, and were not so great before then

ah, that makes sense then

PS, the curse rotted greatwood did an attack at me that I've never seen before, and it's not listed in the wiki. are patches adding boss AI? If so, neat I guess. (the old way to fight him was to just run away until he did his belly flop, now if you do that he either Gaping Dragon's you, or he throws eggs at you)

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    rude

You don't actually have to fight her. It's one of those Dark Souls moments where violence is 100 percent your choice.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    i chose not to fight her because i wanted to get the F out of there, and didn't know if me hitting her would force me to defeat her before enjoying the remainder of the game

i also fucked up and walked by the Xanthous set, if you go like three steps past it then it transports you out, and that's how many steps I needed to notice where it was located

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If you have a bit of poison you can breathe on all the super slow mobs in the courtyard in the painted world, they'll die eventually and give some pretty sweet souls. You can kill the birdy folk upstairs for 1k souls apiece during this.
    I did die a few times just before the boss though, the way enemies aggro in that long hallway can escalate quickly.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    rude

You don't actually have to fight her. It's one of those Dark Souls moments where violence is 100 percent your choice.

It's also an interesting choice, because while killing her is, morally, a shitty thing to do...

She gives the best boss soul weapons in the game. Possibly the best weapons hands down.
    Which is tough luck for her.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    rude

It's also an interesting choice, because while killing her is, morally, a shitty thing to do...

She gives the best boss soul weapons in the game. Possibly the best weapons hands down.
    Which is tough luck for her.

Like a lot of Dark Souls, it is easy to justify because she's a creepy lady lording over creepy enemies. Morally ambiguous acts of "heroism" are the heart of the entire series.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

PS, the curse rotted greatwood did an attack at me that I've never seen before, and it's not listed in the wiki. are patches adding boss AI? If so, neat I guess. (the old way to fight him was to just run away until he did his belly flop, now if you do that he either Gaping Dragon's you, or he throws eggs at you)

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, as the initial release of Bloodborne was similarly impacted by deficient AI routines for many bosses that were later improved by various patches. Micolash in particular never even attacked more often than not; nowadays he's all about arcane spam.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, as the initial release of Bloodborne was similarly impacted by deficient AI routines for many bosses that were later improved by various patches. Micolash in particular never even attacked more often than not; nowadays he's all about arcane spam.

I farmed Sunbro tokens on the greatwood when I was playing heavily a couple months ago. It would throw out a new move every now and then that would take me by surprise. So, the moves may be added, but the AI may just have been updated to make more use out of those rarer attacks.

It's actually a great part of the game. Most of the major bosses have rare moves that surprise even people who have been grinding on them for hours. It keeps you from going 100 percent on autopilot.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    rude

i was actually talking about the
    explosion axe demon

...apparently i could have just walked around that room though and gone directly to the start of the asylum

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    i think i found another thing they changed in the latest DS3 patch... the black knight in the Road of Sacrifices? He hits for roughly 600+ now, no counter hit. Just a normal poke. Damn.

Still rocking my scythe... very rewarding weapon when used properly, but I wasted too much titanite on my way to finding it so I'm lagging behind on the +'s

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    He told us nothing but we wrote an article anyway!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I burnt a respec becuase I forgot the DEX requirement for the carthus curved sword.

8-)

• Options
    https://youtu.be/TCnxbirl6vg

Interesting video about pyro combos

• Options
    edited July 2016
    @Peas
    My memes are broken, fuck

I'm having a good time with the fast roll.
    The extra distance from being under 30% has prolonged my pathetic existence on several occasions.

It's very hard to be patient though. Invasions seem to be much more successful if I can be patient and wait for a second phantom , but I want to go go go!

Is raw the best PvP infusion ? I heard split damage is bad, but I think I would benefit from a chaos infusion or a deep infusion, since I'm a 40/40 Pyro.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    @Peas
    My memes are broken, fuck

I'm having a good time with the fast roll.
    The extra distance from being under 30% has prolonged my pathetic existence on several occasions.

It's very hard to be patient though. Invasions seem to be much more successful if I can be patient and wait for a second phantom , but I want to go go go!

Is raw the best PvP infusion ? I heard split damage is bad, but I think I would benefit from a chaos infusion or a deep infusion, since I'm a 40/40 Pyro.

nothing wrong with using chaos or dark on that build. the only advantage raw has is the ability to buff your weapon, and since you're a pyro you're probably going to want to spend more time casting then attacking with your weapon.

• Options
    I can't infuse dark until I get the profaned coal from the dungeon

I can't infuse chaos until I get the giants co from anor Londo

Maybe I should progress out of the cleansing chapel

• Options
    edited July 2016
    if you're a deeply invested pyro then Raw is pretty much the only option (I would argue)

It really just depends on your playstyle. If can't kill fast and/or you're not brave enough to buff mid-duel, then Chaos is going to be pleasant if you're 40/40

I would argue split damage isn't empirically worse... especially if you choose something other than Fire. Dark and Lightning I feel are always good choices

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Split damage is mostly only a thing for PvP.

PvE you're fine just running a Fire weapon until you get the better coals. It's not a bad idea to have Deep and Raw backups for enemies that resist Fire (and maybe are the reasons you aren't using your magic in the first place), but I wouldn't spend any Large Titanite on them (unless you plan to re-infuse your Deep to Dark later).

PvP focus as any spellcaster is mostly a waste of time. You're going to be at a severe disadvantage because everyone else will be better than you at weapon-ing, and spells are mostly useless. You'll have to either hope for unskilled targets or rely on ganking (which means you should wait for post-Pontiff anyway).

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm all about the PvP, doggie
    SL120 pyro with 40/40

I invade constantly and git rekt frequently

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Yeah those two things really don't go together at all

(specifically "PvP" and "pyro")

Unless you're doing some weird shenanigans with Iron Flesh and Sacred Flame, you're better off respec'ing all those points into physical stats for PvP purposes.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    You can hang as a pure caster, but there's a lot of tricky stuff you have to be able to work out like specifically casting spells just to mess up timing instead of for damage, constantly rotating your spells so they can't count on what you're casting, free aiming, keeping your spells attuned to a set that can work PvP instead of being fully set up for PvE which can be a real pain and other such stuff. It's fun when you can really get after people when they're expecting to get an easy invasion/fight when they see you casting, but there's definitely more shenanigans involved to keep on the same level as the physical builds.

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    doug, your favorite pvp dude uses chaos on his weapon in his videos

that probably answers your question somewhat

• Options
    I watched a stream of a full fledged faith caster build yesterday and that looked hella viable

i'm talkin... archbishop set, dual wielding talismans, 60 faith build. He won way more than he lost.

• Options
    I'm having fun, that's what matters

If I can stay hidden and or be patient, I can get the jump on hosts pretty easily with gcfb or cbv and sacred flame and black flame

Those anti estus bombs are a godsend

• Options
    I watched a stream of a full fledged faith caster build yesterday and that looked hella viable

i'm talkin... archbishop set, dual wielding talismans, 60 faith build. He won way more than he lost.

I had a lot of fun trying to pvp with my faith character. yorskhas for dps and sunlight talisman for the hyper armor on the weapon art for spells does work

• Options
    If you have a good enough connection, I bet lightning stake could do some work.

• Options
    I honestly like using lightning stake to fake them out then switch to sunlight spear. so much damage when they think its safe to try to trade.

• Options
    the guy I watched was using spear as bait, and as soon as they started doing forward rolls he would switch to stake for the beefy hit

if they ID'd the stake then he'd switch to that one where it shoots lightning outward in a pattern

he had the hyper armor talisman equipped but he basically only used it w/ Tears for a desperation final hit

• Options
    The Japanese Pyro Senpai uses a chaos estoc, I think

• Options
    the guy I watched was using spear as bait, and as soon as they started doing forward rolls he would switch to stake for the beefy hit

if they ID'd the stake then he'd switch to that one where it shoots lightning outward in a pattern

he had the hyper armor talisman equipped but he basically only used it w/ Tears for a desperation final hit

I think I know what guy you're talking about

my only problem with lightning storm is the tell is really obvious if the other player is familiar with lightning miracles. the cast time is noticeably longer than spear/stake, enough so to panic roll away

• Options
    Well
    I got the obscuring ring
    And used all five makeovers

Back to repping the Row

• Options
    Crab battle

• Options