As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] It's High Nerf

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

He shows some footage of Battleborn and you know what? Animations are important

Like, just reloading Mei's gun is immensely satisfying because of how it looks

I know I'm almost 500 posts in the past, but it's only been 1 day so whatever...

But yeah, I love that she keeps her pinky raised as she plugs in the new canister.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Do you know what's a good time? Using Phara's ult in a narrow corridor because you want to ensure you kill two snipers, only to have someone with glowing particles come around the corner into your ult, then walking around the corner to kill the teleporter that happened to be there along with another person deciding to come through at that very moment.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    It's probably the visual indicator and the fact that it works at long range.

Like it's still a bad gun but I agree, it does alot of work that it shouldn't because the constant DPS is valuable if people are missing a bunch of shots.

I'm still never letting a friend of mine live down him having to wraith form away from me as D.Va though.

Dva's pistol will shred 200HP characters, especially if they're already softened up from your pulse cannons. If you can empty that clip into someone it's lovely (and almost completely recharges your mech)

Shred is kinda relative. Like I said Mercy's pistol will do it faster and any other actual gun will be much better.

You know what, you're absolutely right. Statistically speaking, literally everything in the game is better than Dva. Even though a full clip from behind kills characters, other characters are better and more fun. There's no reason I would ever agree with your statement that Dva''s light pistol does a lot of work and then be surprised that you'd jump in to remind me that it's still worse than everything else.

I just want to shoot mans and have fun, could you please stop being a buzzkill.

I wish I could make D.Va work for me, she's fun but I haven't figured her out like the other tanks yet. I just tend to die horribly. Which is a bummer because playing her reminds me of playing MAX suits in Planetside which I loved.

Pretty much think of yourself as fat tracer. Though rather than doing damage you shove people about, distract them and try and stay alive forever. The fact that she can spend the time most people would spend running form spawn in her mini D.Va mode is actually pretty rad.

Yeah, it's unpleasantly hard to finish off targets yourself. You don't want to solo, but you do want to harass, finish off people heading back for medkits, and push from an angle at the same time as your main team so your enemies aren't backpedaling from you and you can lay in some respectable damage.

Also blocking hallways with your mech works real good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had a game with the other team using 3 D Vas
    It was odd because one was using the white one the other two were pink because it took me a few to figure that out as one pink went down the other popped up

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I wanted so badly to like D.Va but I feel like Winston handles her role better.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    DPS is really relative. Like, you say D.Va's pistol is outclassed by any actual weapon, but if I can land the entire clip in someone that's better DPS than me missing half my shots with 76. And because I'm so used to projectile aiming I'm a way better shot with the pistols than with a hitscan rifle (since my CoD experience was on the Wii rather than PC).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    yes, a lot of them have higher skill floors for one shotting than mccree

once you start playing better players you will understand that that doesn't matter because it's still guaranteed
    This comes off as super snooty, dogg

Like not everyone is gonna be playing top level players, I know I definitely am not

On the other hand, there is a reason Joe schmoe doesn't get to call the shots in terms of balancing, the pros do

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The music is so good in this game

I like the Overwatch theme more than the Avengers theme

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, like any given stats remember to put them in context.

There's more to the game than just what the numbers say due to interactions and player skill. Because if we went off the numbers D.Va wouldn't just be bad she'd be literal garbage.

Also a reminder that I dump on D.Va mostly because I adore her and wish she was actually better. She's still my most played tank as much as I'll happily remind everyone she's bad.

• Options
    D.Va is still probably my favorite actual character and I eagerly await her buffs

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know her guns are bad and all she really is a big target while the other players do the work
    She is more a half way Winston/Reinhardt thing the half the shield of Reinhardt the moveable and gun of Winston

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I am drizzling shits with Winston. I so bad want to be a bad ass grape ape, but I cant get the cut of his jib.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just had a round where D.Va clicked more, fat tracer is good advice.

Next game the enemy team had a Mei and a Zarya though, so no D.Va for me, talk about some rough counters, woof.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I am drizzling shits with Winston. I so bad want to be a bad ass grape ape, but I cant get the cut of his jib.

Basically you keep the upper levels clear of Widowmakers, drop bubbles to create control zones for your team and have incredible freedom to disengage when you're in danger

Then you Hulk out and knock people off the cart or control point

For his bubble, it's also worth noting that enemies cannot shoot into it, but they ALSO cannot shoot out of it

Maddoc on
  • Options

Next game the enemy team had a Mei and a Zarya though, so no D.Va for me, talk about some rough counters, woof.

If you're fighting Mei, save your boosters. They're really good for escaping, and Mei needs to be close so you can do good damage to her, boost out to reset the freeze, then come back in and finish her off.

Zarya is a bad matchup but you're a million times more mobile than her, just go somewhere else and she can't do anything.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Basically you keep the upper levels clear of Widowmakers, drop bubbles to create control zones for your team and have incredible freedom to disengage when you're in danger

Then you Hulk out and knock people off the cart or control point

I get the idea of what you are supposed to do, I just cannot kill anything with his little water hose of a gun. I am really sure it isn't him, its me. I might have to go back to him though, I may not have been ready for the experience at the time that I tried him.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options

If you're fighting Mei, save your boosters. They're really good for escaping, and Mei needs to be close so you can do good damage to her, boost out to reset the freeze, then come back in and finish her off.

Zarya is a bad matchup but you're a million times more mobile than her, just go somewhere else and she can't do anything.

I mean, go somewhere else is only so good advice in a game that requires you to frequently be standing on tiny little points with the enemy team.

It's better to just switch to someone else when your counters are on the enemy team.

• Options

I mean, go somewhere else is only so good advice in a game that requires you to frequently be standing on tiny little points with the enemy team.

It's better to just switch to someone else when your counters are on the enemy team.

D.Va is a flanker/harasser and can do just fine without needing to be next to Zarya or Mei, they're far from hard counters.
    Of course if you're dying repeatedly then switch, no shame in that. The mobility advantage against Zarya and Mei is pretty big, though.

• Options

D.Va is a flanker/harasser and can do just fine without needing to be next to Zarya or Mei, they're far from hard counters.
    Of course if you're dying repeatedly then switch, no shame in that. The mobility advantage against Zarya and Mei is pretty big, though.

I mean, yes, you flank and harass, and then their Zarya/Mei turn around and you have to run away before you do much of anything productive. Might as well just be someone else can do well in that situation. This game is all about swapping characters for the current enemy team comp and map situation to me.

• Options

I mean, yes, you flank and harass, and then their Zarya/Mei turn around and you have to run away before you do much of anything productive. Might as well just be someone else can do well in that situation. This game is all about swapping characters for the current enemy team comp and map situation to me.

Swapping is good! Distracting 2+ characters from the point is also good! If they refuse to leave the point then yes Junkrat or Pharah is going to be waaaay better.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just grabbed this on PC, is there a list of other people playing?

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I have almost all of the silver trophies.

And I need to win 48 more games to get the gold trophy

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

The overwatch thread in g&t has a google spreadsheet of battletags

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Got a Symmetra potg earlier what-whaaaaaat
    didn't record it because it didn't look spectacular at all, but since it's about dmg values, I'm happy! BZZZZ

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I think it's pretty unlikely that you're going to go up against a team without at least one character that's really strong against any that you'd want to play

learning how to be a productive member of your team despite having a bad matchup on the field is pretty important

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

The overwatch thread in g&t has a google spreadsheet of battletags

Ah nice, thanks for the heads up

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I think it's pretty unlikely that you're going to go up against a team without at least one character that's really strong against any that you'd want to play

learning how to be a productive member of your team despite having a bad matchup on the field is pretty important

Depending on the match up in particular, one can be tolerable, two however? That's 1/3rd of the enemy team having a leg up on you. Unless you are a strong counter to like, everything else on their team may as well switch.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I really like Symmetra, but it seems that unless its a payload map that you are playing defense on, shes rather underpowered. They really need to give her some kind of boost to make her a bit more viable in other maps.

BTW....if you start the game with Sym, shield everyone else then change characters does the shield go away from the buffed characters?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    BTW....if you start the game with Sym, shield everyone else then change characters does the shield go away from the buffed characters?
    It does. Probably for the best as well.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    we just stomped on King's Row with me playing Symmetra on offense; I got 19 people through my teleporter(s) and also a gold medal for objective kills

the tactics change a fair bit but it's not a bad choice if there's another support on your team already

you prevent your people from getting flanked while they push forward, and you can hold any ground gained even after a bunch of teammates have died, thanks to your turrets and teleporter

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    the reality with this amazing game is that there's a role for pretty much any individual hero on any map and in any mode, attack or defense

but certain heroes will be more or less valuable in a given matchup depending on opponent team comp, map/mode, and your own team comp

you can't make a BAD choice of hero, technically speaking, because they're all effective in different ways

on attack, a sniper like Widowmaker is great for countersniping or dismantling defenses to ease pressure etc, but she can't hold the point for shit, and if your issue is that you're not holding down the objective to win, then maybe try someone else

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I am getting the hang of Lucio's wall ride and it is so worth it. I highly recommend anyone who plays him to try it out if you haven't already. On KotH maps in particular, you can hold the point for much longer while you move and zip along walls, jump out of windows if needed to break LoS and heal, then zip back in again, all while healing your teammates and concussing people out of your way

I've also made it to the top of the space shuttle twice on Gibraltar and knocked a Widowmakers off to be devoured by my team

it's amazing!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I've found 76 to be a real good counter for D.va. She can't really out DPS his heal field, and her head hitbox is so huge that it's real easy to get headshots with most of your clip. She just melts.

He can also keep shooting her when she boosts away easily and helix rocket ruins on foot D.va.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Symmetra is, for better or worse, defined by her teleporter

This means that she's good on defense at the beginning of a game, and good on offense at the end of a game

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Eh, I'd much rather have another beefy character on offense to help push than a teleporter.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Symmetra only works if your team is good already because pretty much everything she brings to the table like her zone control, limited faster spawns and shields are emphasized by having players who don't waste that edge.

And then while the enemy teams occupied you come in and murderate some lone sucker or hover up their back line.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i dont know what 76 "counters" other than he's generically awesome

he has one of my favorite ults

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    against bullshit comps like 2 bastions with a healer and a bunch of beefy guys, trying to push the final point of a payload map can be incredibly difficult at times

but having a teleporter up so you can just swarm them over and over and beat them by attrition is super valuable

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the jsrf sound track is perfect for overwatch
    great vid

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.