As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I agree there is some weirdness in the red wood biome geometry. But its so pretty. Hopefully they will tweak the map to fix the problems. I've tried 'K' viewing under the terrain to spot my anky but I could never find it.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Also I don't want to borrow an anky because now I'm worried it'll go missing too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, Beorn reminded me that were 5x for taming. So I'm a little less mad now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Ok, Beorn reminded me that were 5x for taming. So I'm a little less mad now.

Also kibble, also taming sedative is a thing people will be able to get in the next event.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I wish platforms + had more customizability on the platforms/wedges. Or a way to snap foundations to the edge so you can properly line things up. As it it is, its difficult to section them out to make rooms/etc. They're a lot bigger than you initially think, but you don't really notice it until you start to try to fill up the space. Plus there's height and multiple snap points along the same edge, so things can get really tricky/quirky.

Now wtf should I do with these massive platforms. I originally planned on having like 4 of them, but after building up two part way, I'm thinking it all could fit on just one. I'm talking green house, workshop, kitchen, hangar, storage, bedrooms, etc all on one. Once you start building up, you just have tons of space.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wish platforms + had more customizability on the platforms/wedges. Or a way to snap foundations to the edge so you can properly line things up. As it it is, its difficult to section them out to make rooms/etc. They're a lot bigger than you initially think, but you don't really notice it until you start to try to fill up the space. Plus there's height and multiple snap points along the same edge, so things can get really tricky/quirky.

Now wtf should I do with these massive platforms. I originally planned on having like 4 of them, but after building up two part way, I'm thinking it all could fit on just one. I'm talking green house, workshop, kitchen, hangar, storage, bedrooms, etc all on one. Once you start building up, you just have tons of space.

I'm sure more machines will come along with Tek stuff.

• Options
    I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure I'll come up with stuff to fill it with. I might tear one platform down and just add that to the other one. Fortunately most everything is S+, so it's not going to go to waste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about a paid expansion to an Early Access game:
    https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/articles.html/ark-scorched-earth-expansion-pack-r304/

Why not finish the main game first?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    I finally quit playing this after 1000 hours and they go and do this?

https://youtu.be/Ot_NIoBE0j8

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Holy shit

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    No ocean? Pass.

Really though that looks pretty cool.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Weird detail:
    Survivors can take their character, favorite creatures and items between the Island and the new Desert ARKs, making their Island-dwelling friends jealous with all of the amazing new items, structures, creatures and secrets they find in the Desert.
    So, uh, I guess hunting titanosaurs from the back of a Dragon is a thing now.

• Options
    I am intrigued by this Gateway tech. Could we run both somehow, and transfer between them?

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this Gateway tech. Could we run both somehow, and transfer between them?

I imagine we would need a server running Ark: Scorched Earth, and keep our Ark: The Center still going. It sounds like it's just the same as uploading to the obelisk? I'd guess that if someone wanted to go over to the Ark: Scorched Earth server, they would need the expansion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    It seems a little shitty to be charging $20 for an expansion to a game that isnt out yet, but the new map does look really cool.

• Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    I could not give 2 shits about the dlc one way or the other. I think their timing and total lack of discussion about it is a really bad play on their part, and the discussion board bears that out.

The thing I despise though is the 8 gigs of data I have to download that doesn't improve the base game in ANY FUCKING WAY AT ALL. Not even the 2 dinos they said would be in the update. No fucking thank you.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'd be sort of surprised if the Center doesn't get a desert biome on some future update? Unless of course the update would require the paid update, in which case yeah, probably have to run both.

I haven't been on in a while because if I'm not busy with pregnancy appointments with the wife, I'm cleaning or having my own appointments and any free time I've had has gone to No Man's Sky. In short, I might not be back this month or next. If anyone Warboys can visit the base and just keep the critters fed until the crazy calms down, that would be great. Otherwise I'd need to try and find time to come take everything back to the spire, an act I do not relish as it commonly takes hours to move creatures from one point to another.

The troughs are: Under the barn (door near the fence area), Near the rexes/diplos, near the Spinos/round watchtower, next to the lodge wall, and finally, one down in the ruins feeding the fishies.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oh, The Center is not getting desert, confirmed by Frank on Twitch. Not enough room, map is too big already.

I'll log on later and get stuff fed.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

I imagine we would need a server running Ark: Scorched Earth, and keep our Ark: The Center still going. It sounds like it's just the same as uploading to the obelisk? I'd guess that if someone wanted to go over to the Ark: Scorched Earth server, they would need the expansion.

I'll be looking into this. If the transition is seamless, it might be neat to have access to both.

• Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular
    Ive got the update downloaded but I cant see the server

• Options
    Rayzerbeam wrote: »
    Ive got the update downloaded but I cant see the server

Did it finally go live? Let me update the server.

• Options
    Current Version: v246.0
    Unversioned Hotfix: Fixed TheCenter server/client content mismatch. Please update TheCenter Dedicated Servers!
    - Scorched Earth Expansion Integration!
    - Cross-ARK travel & Cross-Official-Server Transfer via Supply Crates & Obelisk Terminals
    - New Structure: Large Ceiling Dino Doors (Stone, Metal, Adobe)
    - NVIDIA Ansel support (Launch ARK with the NVIDIA Ansel launch option (or -allowansel), Alt-F2 during singleplayer gameplay, and [Delete] in spectator mode to access Depth of Field menu!)

...Adobe?

Anyway, server is updated and wiped wild dinos. Give it a minute and it should be playable.

• Options
    Unversioned Hotfix: Fixed TheCenter server/client content mismatch. Please update TheCenter Dedicated Servers!
    - Cross-ARK travel & Cross-Official-Server Transfer via Supply Crates & Obelisk Terminals
    - NVIDIA Ansel support (Launch ARK with the NVIDIA Ansel launch option (or -allowansel), Alt-F2 during singleplayer gameplay, and [Delete] in spectator mode to access Depth of Field menu!)

...Adobe?

Anyway, server is updated and wiped wild dinos. Give it a minute and it should be playable.
    I didn't watch the video yet, but I'm assuming that's what those buildings in the preview image are.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

...Adobe?

I didn't watch the video yet, but I'm assuming that's what those buildings in the preview image are.

Oh, right.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I can't really muster up much outrage about the DLC. From a feature standpoint, this game has felt complete for a long time. The featureset and content just seem to blow every other competitor out of the water, and kind of has since release. Especially considering the game has never been more than $30 and frequently goes on sale.

From some other standpoints, ok not so much. They need to always be optimizing, and that dino AI pass would sure be nice. But given that they're a pretty large studio with other studios apparently doing contract work for them, it's pretty reasonable to assume that the optimization people aren't the people working on this DLC. Basically, it seems like the opportunity cost of making the expansion should be pretty low.

On the other hand, I've long been curious about that 40 million dollar lawsuit they lost. This game is a crazy success, but that's a loooooot of money. It's hard not to think that's affecting a lot of their behavior going forward.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

I'll be looking into this. If the transition is seamless, it might be neat to have access to both.

Maybe do a poll to see who would play on the other one before you spend an

...Adobe?

Oh, right.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=adobe+hut

More huts, less Acrobat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The wiki has already added a page on the DLC. Apparently, 10 creatures only in the DLC, 50 new items, a new boss (Manticore) and of course, the new map.

• Options
    If nothing else, I'd like to get some of the new creatures. Though I don't know that I'd make a new place on there aside from some small, simple camp.

Also, regarding Giga's on the current server. I've wanted one of my own since the last server. Since they'll probably never be enabled again on this server, would it be possible to have one spawned in with admin commands once I have all the taming materials?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I can't really muster up much outrage about the DLC. From a feature standpoint, this game has felt complete for a long time. The featureset and content just seem to blow every other competitor out of the water, and kind of has since release. Especially considering the game has never been more than $30 and frequently goes on sale.

From some other standpoints, ok not so much. They need to always be optimizing, and that dino AI pass would sure be nice. But given that they're a pretty large studio with other studios apparently doing contract work for them, it's pretty reasonable to assume that the optimization people aren't the people working on this DLC. Basically, it seems like the opportunity cost of making the expansion should be pretty low.

On the other hand, I've long been curious about that 40 million dollar lawsuit they lost. This game is a crazy success, but that's a loooooot of money. It's hard not to think that's affecting a lot of their behavior going forward.

They didn't lose, they settled. The jerkasses over at Trendy were initially asking for $600 million.

That entire thing was just ridiculous. Even after firing their horrible, horrible president Trendy is still an awful place.

• Options
    If nothing else, I'd like to get some of the new creatures. Though I don't know that I'd make a new place on there aside from some small, simple camp.

Also, regarding Giga's on the current server. I've wanted one of my own since the last server. Since they'll probably never be enabled again on this server, would it be possible to have one spawned in with admin commands once I have all the taming materials?

I can do that. You'll probably need to be ready to tame it right away though it might vanish if it goes into stasis before being tamed.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yeah I would need to coordinate it because not only would you need to be on to spawn it, I'd need at least one other person to help with the tame.

EDIT: Unless of course I'm allowed to build a tame box for it first and you just spawn it in there? Then I can probably solo tame it.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    And I get all the salt and anger flowing on the forums and Reddit now, but honestly, I don't give a fuck because this DLC has totally rekindled my love for ARK. Just last week I was telling my friends I was pretty much done unless something major happened to change the game, and I'm not even talking Tek tier stuff that makes it even easier.

So we got Scorched Earth set up with the group I play with. You need a separate server, and as best we can tell, you use the Obelisks to move stuff between the two.

And guess what? This is a motherfucking game changer.

It's freaking awesome. The environment is beautiful, the new animals are great. And it's freaking tough to live as you get started. Starving to death and dying from dehydration is a thing. Exposure to the elements will kick your ass pretty quickly, too.

Finding water, shelter and food is hard now. Finding more materials to build even the basic stuff is harder. And getting your ass chewed apart by raptors every couple minutes is a thing.

All in all, totally worth $20.

Everyone who's jumping ship because of this? Fuck 'em. It's like the anti-Titanic. They're jumping into freezing cold water just as this bitch is pulling itself off the iceberg and heading for the tropics.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    And I get all the salt and anger flowing on the forums and Reddit now, but honestly, I don't give a fuck because this DLC has totally rekindled my love for ARK. Just last week I was telling my friends I was pretty much done unless something major happened to change the game, and I'm not even talking Tek tier stuff that makes it even easier.

So we got Scorched Earth set up with the group I play with. You need a separate server, and as best we can tell, you use the Obelisks to move stuff between the two.

And guess what? This is a motherfucking game changer.

It's freaking awesome. The environment is beautiful, the new animals are great. And it's freaking tough to live as you get started. Starving to death and dying from dehydration is a thing. Exposure to the elements will kick your ass pretty quickly, too.

Finding water, shelter and food is hard now. Finding more materials to build even the basic stuff is harder. And getting your ass chewed apart by raptors every couple minutes is a thing.

All in all, totally worth $20.

Everyone who's jumping ship because of this? Fuck 'em. It's like the anti-Titanic. They're jumping into freezing cold water just as this bitch is pulling itself off the iceberg and heading for the tropics.

Now I am very intrigued. Ultimately if the DLC is fun and adds meaningful content for the price, then I don't really care why they released it. Ark already has a ridiculously favorable price to content ratio, so hooray.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Current Version: v246.1
    * Fixed a critical server and client performance issue! Immediate upgrade of all servers is highly recommended!
    * Fixed issue with losing Engrams on downloading Survivor via Cross-ARK Transfer.
    * Fixed insulation calculation bug that caused spontaneous death in some bases. Requires Server Update.
    * Fixed issue that was causing item tooltips not to appear in singleplayer mode (and thus the item management hotkeys not to work).
    * Giganotosaurus no longer harvests wood. Requires Server Update.
    * Poison Wyvern tertiary 'C' ground attack is now Wing-Flap Wind, not Snarl. Requires Server Update.
    * Diseases no longer persist across Survivor cross-server travel. Requires Server Update.
    * One-time Official PvE TheIsland Server rollback to fix deletion of bases around mountain no-build areas. Disabled use of mountain no-build areas on Official PvE.

Server updated.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    So, some maintenence stuff.

I have a list here of prizes I still owe people. I have not forgotten these in our slow period while people play No Man's Sky/Legion/etc...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Em9mHz1BIYR5F8YqBC2qrsSejrFTsY6ExvedGBFNWf8/edit?usp=sharing

Also, there's a mod I installed a while back but kept disabled and never got around to enabling. You should be able to make them now.
    Pet Finder

I have also decided to enable player crafting of Taming Sedative. You'll need to be lvl 85 to make it.

And, lastly, I have tweaked the spawn settings again. Giga's still won't spawn, and terror birds should still be less insane, but I have turned off all controls on ocean creatures. I want to see what the spawn rates are like uncontrolled for now. Also it means the server will load faster. Granted mosa in the NE are probably still nuts. So be careful in the ocean.

Still thinking out how I want to do the next event.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    And finally.

wIrMims.png

Scorched Earth: [PA] The Hideous Daystar - 64.79.106.133:27036
    Paste steam://connect/64.79.106.133:27036 into your browser to add it to your favorites.

Transfers are enabled, all mods we use on The Center are installed, and settings should be identical.

Go, have fun.
    I'm still working on getting a character to 110 in Legion, but I'll be joining you soon.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    And finally.

wIrMims.png

Scorched Earth: [PA] The Hideous Daystar - 64.79.106.133:27036
    Paste steam://connect/64.79.106.133:27036 into your browser to add it to your favorites.

Transfers are enabled, all mods we use on The Center are installed, and settings should be identical.

Go, have fun.
    I'm still working on getting a character to 110 in Legion, but I'll be joining you soon.

It's ridiculously cool of you to be running just the one server, let alone two. Please don't kill yourself from server restarting on our behalf.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can restart stuff from my phone now, and I've turned on the 'auto-update mods' function they have.

I am not sure if that means it will literally restart the game when a mod updates, or if it waits for a restart. We'll find out!

• Options
    I want one of those foxes super bad.

• Options
    I want one of those foxes super bad.

As always, I'll want at least two of everything. By god.

The baby is due in October. Because of her hypertension, the wife is scheduled for multiple appointments, all of which I'm there for. Along with that, I'm trying to recover from tooth surgery and feelin' shitty (literally). And the next two weekends are pretty busy. So TL; DR, I'll probably see y'all under the cruel, cruel sun sometime late September, or late October.