Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Native language or not?

danbitdanbit Registered User new member
Hey guys!
Apologies if this has been brought up time and time again, but I didn't find anything about it so I'll just write my question. =)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience and/or opinions regarding writing novels using a different language but your own.
The reason I ask is because I'm practising hard at writing, I enjoy writing but I do not like my native language in fictional works (I'm Swedish).

Swedish to me is a pretentious sounding language when it comes to fiction. I do not enjoy writing in it at all. BUT, I worry at the amount of nuance to my language that goes missing because I am not a native English speaker. I've always considered myself good at writing and talking in English, but I have no real grasp of how well I manage so that a native speaker would fully understand and enjoy my written words. Grammar can be scary :P

So, I just wanted to ask for any input and thoughts on the matter. =) Thanks guys!