As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 4.0] Lucio, drop the beat!!

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote:
    But gosh, what time WAS it?

1ciw249b9l3n.png

noon.png 354.3K
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I hope when they add a few more maps they put in queues for the various game modes. I'd rather just play payload all day since I don't really like the capture point map design, and KotH rewarding whoever happens to own the point while it's contested for up to 2-3 minutes at times gets really frustrating. But I generally like the 4 payload maps.

The 3rd area on Gibraltar if you don't instantly push up past the door gets to be pretty unfun since there are only 2 real entrances and they're both on opposite sides of a wall, so you get mowed down entering the area, and then when you push a bit through it, you get backdoored by reapers and tracers all day. But once you manage to get halfway up it's generally fine.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Huh, when I play Mercy I have a 70% win rate

My next highest is Lucio at 67%

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Im just waiting for the Brawl mode to switch. It's a weekly thing I believe and I just don't like this one. LOVED the last one for random heroes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    Im just waiting for the Brawl mode to switch. It's a weekly thing I believe and I just don't like this one. LOVED the last one for random heroes.

Okay, now that I have a *basic* grasp of most of the heroes, that sounds super fun. (I hated it in the beta when I was still trying to learn the basic mechanics of the game.)

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/shared/018d8cef1684dd81

I seem to do ok despite my terrible aim

But then again premades tend to give a big advantage in terms of communication and reliability and i rarely queue solo

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Domination-type game mode for this game later on. The CoD variant, where there are three points on a single map, and you accrue points by holding more points at one time than your opponent. It was pretty fun in Destiny also, and pushes you to various spots in the map to attack or defend.

However the game would probably need totally new maps to support this if it ever became a thing. I don't think any of the current maps could support three spread out capture points. Well, maybe King's Row or Numbani would work.

I'm not sure how well that would work because other shooters have everyone moving at the same general pace with comparable lethality. This allows people to move freely and attack points as needed. Also regenerating health allows people to stay mobile and fighting.

In Overwatch only a few characters will really be able to go with the round's ebb and flow properly. The game is built around MOBAish team fights and roaming concepts. The modes we do have intentionally keep people fighting over a centralized location to enforce that dynamic with choke points to funnel the action. It's why even the multi-cap modes are done in stages.

This is why I would think you need maps designed around Domination, should it ever be implemented. The idea could work though. You have your Torbs building defensive turrets at your "home" point, or moving forward to take central locations to cut off your opponent's entries. I mean, who is a good forward scout? Tracer obviously, then you counter the pressure with Torb or Symmetra. You have tanks either pushing/holding the central line, flankers trying to get to backlines and so on.

I just use the Destiny example because it worked, with three main classes and nine subclasses at any one time. TTK, movement, HP etc did vary meaningfully in Destiny, though of course OW varies much more. Three cap points also makes it so that teams have to decide how to distribute their resources. If your whole team is blockading B, what's to stop the enemy from taking a long way around and snatching your A point away from under you? You have to juggle two or maybe even three points of contention.

Don't get me wrong, the current modes are great, I just think that Dom offers a good general play experience that can be enhanced by the variety of classes on hand in OW.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    This might have been linked in the last thread but I'm posting it again because it's that awesome.
    qohadvy.jpg

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Cyrenic wrote: »
    This might have been linked in the last thread but I'm posting it again because it's that awesome.
    qohadvy.jpg

It's so awesome they put it in the OP of this thread! ;)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    It's so awesome they put it in the OP of this thread! ;)

Woops. If you think that's bad you should see my in game awareness!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ololol ar3 there waifus in this gaem?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    "I NEED HEALING!"

No, you don't need any healing. You need to stop dancing around behind that group of boxes and come somewhere I can actually get to.

THEN you can need healing.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Nothing like holding the first point of Hollywood as 5 Torbjorns and 1 Symmetra. I swear the other team spent half the game in confusion.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    That masteroverwatch site is really neat. Should probably have something in the OP telling people about it if they wanna share their stats.

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/shared/6d0f00c78e76754a

All the same stats are also on the official site. Here's my profile: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/pc/eu/Peewi-1575

Ah didn't know about that one, but comparing them, I think masteroverwatch presents the stats in a much better manner.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Apparently the #1 Mercy player in the world has played her for 69 hours in 536 games and hasn't touched a single other character.

Fucking what?

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    That site doesn't seem to work for console stats.

Yeah it does. Worked for me, though I had to put my PSN name in with proper capitalization.
    https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/DigitalArcanist

Do you have to sign up for their site? Can't get it to look up my gamertag.

I think you need to search for it at least once. Can't just go straight to the URL as it won't exist until it fetches your data once.

Edit: Oops, I'm behind.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    "I NEED HEALING!"

No, you don't need any healing. You need to stop dancing around behind that group of boxes and come somewhere I can actually get to.

"I'm way up here on this ledge and I'm not gonna give you LOS so you can fly up to me for healz and instead cower in the corner out of LOS and spam the healing emote!"

• Options
    edited May 2016
    edit: combo

Echo on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Apparently the #1 Mercy player in the world has played her for 69 hours in 536 games and hasn't touched a single other character.

Fucking what?

How do you think you become the best? :P

Also, it's not like we have an excess of support characters running around.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

Fucking what?

Damn. Meanwhile here I am without even accidentally locking in as Mercy even once.

I've served enough time as the Medic in TF2 to last a lifetime.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    "I NEED HEALING!"

"I'm way up here on this ledge and I'm not gonna give you LOS so you can fly up to me for healz and instead cower in the corner out of LOS and spam the healing emote!"
    "I NEED HEALING!"

I appreciate the dedication of making this post twice. Really sell the joke.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    ololol ar3 there waifus in this gaem?

Roadhog is the only waifu you need.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Fucking what?

How do you think you become the best? :P

Also, it's not like we have an excess of support characters running around.

We need a support character that is the equivalent of Braum from League. I'd be happy to sign up for heal/supp duty while saying pithy things about how the heart is the strongest muscle etc.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm really curious about Sombra. Support sniper eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg86SU8WKN8

Echo on
  • Options
    In that Gamespot three part documentary on Overwatch you can actually see them working on Sombra's character in the background of some of the shots. :biggrin:

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @P10 You baka, are we b.net friends? We should Tracer together, shiny and chrome.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ha, I was just the result of the first non-nonsensical PotG as Widowmaker.

I sniped one person, close ranged another, launched a widow mine and then melee'd what I didn't realize was an ally.

I chatted "I'LL TAKE IT."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    BTW--Anyone else feel like they nerfed Bastion just a bit after the beta? Mostly the spread on the gatling gun seems a little higher now. Not as effective at range.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MadPen wrote: »
    BTW--Anyone else feel like they nerfed Bastion just a bit after the beta? Mostly the spread on the gatling gun seems a little higher now. Not as effective at range.

I was wondering about this too.

In open beta I distinctly recal him being laser accurate at range, which was one of the main complaints with him. Now there is a noticeable spread and Bastions in general feel not OP to me.

Though maybe that is because everyone learned how to counter him?

Axen on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    In my hands, Bastion is never the laser beam of death that it seems to be when in the hands of other players.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I'm not sure what they changed on which character, but I'm pretty sure Genji's deflect is more effective against Bastion than it used to be.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Axen wrote: »

I was wondering about this too.

In open beta I distinctly recal him being laser accurate at range, which was one of the main complaints with him. Now there is a noticeable spread and Bastions in general feel not OP to me.

Though maybe that is because everyone learned how to counter him?

Primarily people just got used to dealing with him. He doesn't have a lot of options at his disposal so once you learn his tricks he's easy to handle.

My favorite thing to do when I see Bastion now is force him to swap by picking Genji.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Tanks should get ult charge for damage blocked, like Supports get ult for healing. I get why damage taken doesn't provide Ult (but it should) but given that most of the tank ults are pretty mediocre and so is their damage, it would be a nice boost.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Random stuff I'm reading:
    He also talked a bit about how it took ages - "I can't even begin to tell you how long and how many revisions" - to settle on Bastion's mini-tank ultimate ability, which was originally a remote-controlled car that blew up ("It was just too much for a guy who's already really good at blowing things up").

On the topic of Bastion, incidentally, and people calling him - it - overpowered, Chu said: "He packs a punch! And I feel like a version in which that didn't happen wouldn't be true to the character [Bastion units made up the devastating front-lines of the omnic army during the Omnic Crisis]. The most we can do is try and educate players on how to [beat him], because honestly, once you have figured out that it's not just a 'running into the meatgrinder', and there are ways to deal with him. It's actually not too hard."

So Bastion used to have Junkrat's ult.

Echo on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Fucking what?

Damn. Meanwhile here I am without even accidentally locking in as Mercy even once.

I've served enough time as the Medic in TF2 to last a lifetime.

People on the top of the leaderboards have played a massive amount since launch. I cant even imaging having the time or ability to play for 8-12 hours a day for multiple days in a row. I feel kind of drained after 2.5-3 hours.

The top ranked people's stats aren't that much better than those of us in 10-20 hours played on Mercy, but their excess of playtime has massively padded their score, time on fire, and healing done.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Tanks should get ult charge for damage blocked, like Supports get ult for healing. I get why damage taken doesn't provide Ult (but it should) but given that most of the tank ults are pretty mediocre and so is their damage, it would be a nice boost.

Unless Reinhardt just got nearly zero per damage blocked compared to Zarya/D.va/Winston I don't know how to work this. Also Graviton Pulse and Earthshatter are both extremely good ults.

D.va's is pretty terrible though, and Winston's is very situational and generally only seems useful for disruption or bonking mercy/zenyatta in the face until they die. Wouldn't mind seeing them get an alternate way to charge ult, but it'd be a very tricky balance.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Unless Reinhardt just got nearly zero per damage blocked compared to Zarya/D.va/Winston I don't know how to work this. Also Graviton Pulse and Earthshatter are both extremely good ults.

D.va's is pretty terrible though, and Winston's is very situational and generally only seems useful for disruption or bonking mercy/zenyatta in the face until they die. Wouldn't mind seeing them get an alternate way to charge ult, but it'd be a very tricky balance.

They've already got different rates on different heroes for damage done, I feel like it'd be relatively trivial to add in since they're already tracking the numbers.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I love D.va's ult. Payload coming up to a point? Lob in a giant nuclear hand grenade that blows up mid-air over it. It clears space from range like nothing else I've found.

• Options
    Random stuff I'm reading:
    He also talked a bit about how it took ages - "I can't even begin to tell you how long and how many revisions" - to settle on Bastion's mini-tank ultimate ability, which was originally a remote-controlled car that blew up ("It was just too much for a guy who's already really good at blowing things up").

On the topic of Bastion, incidentally, and people calling him - it - overpowered, Chu said: "He packs a punch! And I feel like a version in which that didn't happen wouldn't be true to the character [Bastion units made up the devastating front-lines of the omnic army during the Omnic Crisis]. The most we can do is try and educate players on how to [beat him], because honestly, once you have figured out that it's not just a 'running into the meatgrinder', and there are ways to deal with him. It's actually not too hard."

So Bastion used to have Junkrat's ult.

Somewhat, it was more of a proximity mine thing, the visual of it was pretty adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJ_4AicSwY

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.