As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The LGBT Thread

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    URL is self-explanatory. :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/29/two-transgender-candidates-both-named-misty-just-made-history-by-winning-house-and-senate-primaries/

[edit] though this statement seems a little ridiculous, "LGBT people tend to say: 'Aren't we past all the firsts?'"....|: |

That headline reads like a Lin Manuel Miranda rap.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Me, just walkin' through the gayest little town in New England with my size and my beard... fun times!

So when are you coming to Baltimore

I dunno. Driven through a couple times! I hear you have a nice aquarium.

I wouldn't call it nice. It's just a 20 gallon tank with three gold fish and a plecostomus.

The dog likes to bite at the glass when she sees them

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'll need to do an all-trans CAMAB gaming group, some time
    it will have to be online, being as the people I really want in are sorta spread out

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So, when are all you lovelies moving to Canada, because honestly? Things are looking pretty nice here right now.

Yes, they misspelled Ontario in the url for the article.

https://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/06/29/ontairo-gender-neutral-licenses-health-cards.html
    TORONTO - Ontario is introducing gender-neutral driver's licences and health cards.

Beginning in early 2017, drivers will be able to select X, instead of an M for male or F for female for their licences.

And this month, the province started issuing health cards that no longer display information about a person's sex on the front of the card.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind living in Canada but I actually rather like where I am now, so could Canada just, like, extend a bit more southward?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind living in Canada but I actually rather like where I am now, so could Canada just, like, extend a bit more southward?

I was going to say once Trump wins, it's just an inevitability, but since he plans on walling us off like he wants with Mexico, maybe we ought to just set up the Underground Railroad again.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Things are looking good in Pakistan too:
    http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-pakistan-transgender-decree-20160628-snap-story.html
    Fifty clerics in Pakistan issued a fatwa, or religious decree, saying that transgender people can marry under Islamic law — but only if they do not have “visible signs of both genders.”

Of course that last part is still kinda messed up but it's still more progressive anything US Evangelical Christians are doing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's common anywhere else in the region, but I know the Iranian government formally acknowledges transgender people to the point that they help pay for SRS...but they only support it if you're straight. It's actually kind of a mess, because cis gay men and other gender-non-conforming people are sometimes pressured into transitioning regardless of their actual gender identity so their behavior will look more socially acceptable.

I can't help but find it fascinating from a cultural standpoint, since in America anyone who hates gay people is going to hate trans people twice as much.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Apropros of not much but I bought a really cute outfit today under the cover of shopping with my mom.

Thanks for continuing to be totally rad, mom!

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    So good news: I came out to my boss today and it went really well!

Bad news: he talked to hr and someone above him sent an email to a currently unknown number of locations at our business, including my old location! I'm pretty scared!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Don't be scared. He's a dumbass but you're going to be fine.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    What the fuck?

Was his superior acting maliciously or are they just ignorantly unaware of the bad thing they did?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Apropros of not much but I bought a really cute outfit today under the cover of shopping with my mom.

Thanks for continuing to be totally rad, mom!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    What the fuck?

Was his superior acting maliciously or are they just ignorantly unaware of the bad thing they did?

I have no idea. I only found out because one of my old coworkers sent me a message on Twitter asking if I sent out a mass email announcement about coming out.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I'm sorry that happened, that's fucked up.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That is ri-fucking-diculously inappropriate.

BLM - ACAB
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You'd think someone in HR would know better.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    hah, no.

HR as a concept is great, in reality it's the worst

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    HR is just as old, out of touch, and consequence-free as the rest of your average corporate infrastructure

liEt3nH.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    HR is for the company, not the employee

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I went to Pride!

And I got a sticker:

OBz60JL.png

as fuck

but please call me by my birth name

Thirsty AssFuck

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    mr. assfuck this is a mcdonalds please place your order

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    General Assfuck, the British have taken Bunker Hill.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I'm sorry, that gentleman has been demoted

you can find him under "Major Assfuck"

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Not to be confused with his cousin, "Private Assfuck".

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

That's one helluva demotion, what'd he do to deserve that?

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Couldn't perform under pressure.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    mr. assfuck this is a mcdonalds please place your order

Mr. Assfuck is my fathers name.

Please, just call me Thirsty.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Couldn't perform under pressure.

Well done.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Brolo wrote: »

On the subject of the Toronto Pride parade, the Toronto Pride parade was temporary blocked by a Black Lives Matter group.
    Members of Black Lives Matter Toronto, who were part of the parade as honoured guests, held up the marching for about 30 minutes. The parade didn't re-start until after Pride Toronto executive director Mathieu Chantelois signed a document agreeing to the group's demands.

The organization was given the status of Honoured Group for the parade, which is the grand finale of Pride Month. It did not give Pride Toronto advance notice of their planned sit-in. Alexandra Williams, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter Toronto, told CBC's Natasha Fatah that they held the sit-in because they wanted to hold Pride Toronto accountable for what she called "anti-blackness."

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    most prides are white af

so knowing the usual demographics and politics of mainstream pride? go BLM

Miss me? Find me on:

well ain't that goddamn awesome

Miss me? Find me on:

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Asl translators? Does Canada not have it's own sign language?

Goggles.

Huh. Apparently not. Well, Quebec has their own.

Fascinating!

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

Goggles.

Fascinating!

I didnt actually know that the A stood for american until this post caused me to look it up.

d-does england have a different sign alphabet?

I have so many questions now that I didnt before.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

Goggles.

Fascinating!

I didnt actually know that the A stood for american until this post caused me to look it up.

Yeah, you might expect different versions of sign language for different spoken language regions, but apparently there needs to be like four different versions of sign language for countries that all speak English as their primary language...

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    More like a/s/l translators

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

Goggles.

Fascinating!

Yeah, you might expect different versions of sign language for different spoken language regions, but apparently there needs to be like four different versions of sign language for countries that all speak English as their primary language...

They developed more or less independently, and while they steal loan words even more than English does they aren't just English with the hands. So it's not terribly surprising you get multiple.

This discussion has been closed.