As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Olympics] Rio 2016! (Maybe)

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    IOC just needs to coordinate with other international sports bodies on venue usage. I'm not opposed to the idea that the games could or should be held anywhere that's big enough, that's part of the fun, i think. Coordination would just make sure the venues were used properly and help see that they're paid for.

Of course it precludes the massive corruption going on in these bodies.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    why does rape increase at the olympic city? that just seems crazy and weird.

not questioning the veracity of the statement - just wondering if there is any reasoning behind this.
    Because half the city is enormous City of God slums called favelas, which have been run by criminals forever. Brazil instituted a police crackdown, but violence is picking up again in preparation for the Olympics- Western tourists mean lots of new drug customers, which means dinero, and the gangs are fighting over it.

Also what's happening to Rousseff isn't a coup, just normal impeachment proceedings- the ruling party laundered money through Petrobas, the state-owned oil company, and there were lots of budget shenanigans under her watch where only a portion of earmarked subsidies were actually paid out to the intended beneficiaries. Where did the rest of the money go? Who knows! Wikipedia also states that she, as the Brazilian President, is also guilty of a "crime of responsibility" in not keeping the accounting honest.

So just simple corruption, nothing more, nothing less. Remember, this is a place where the anti-corruption minister had to step down because of corruption. Yay, IOC!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I've been a proponent of the proposal for one contiguous site or a small number of contiguous sites for quite a while. You could have it in a rotation of London/Paris/Tokyo/New York, or just single site, like Athens, where everyone in the world chips in to build a quality, high-tech facility that athletes all over could come and train and compete at.

Same for winter olympics, really.

Site the winter olympics in antarctica! International land!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    why does rape increase at the olympic city? that just seems crazy and weird.

not questioning the veracity of the statement - just wondering if there is any reasoning behind this.
    Because half the city is enormous City of God slums called favelas, which have been run by criminals forever. Brazil instituted a police crackdown, but violence is picking up again in preparation for the Olympics- Western tourists mean lots of new drug customers, which means dinero, and the gangs are fighting over it.

Also what's happening to Rousseff isn't a coup, just normal impeachment proceedings- the ruling party laundered money through Petrobas, the state-owned oil company, and there were lots of budget shenanigans under her watch where only a portion of earmarked subsidies were actually paid out to the intended beneficiaries. Where did the rest of the money go? Who knows! Wikipedia also states that she, as the Brazilian President, is also guilty of a "crime of responsibility" in not keeping the accounting honest.

So just simple corruption, nothing more, nothing less. Remember, this is a place where the anti-corruption minister had to step down because of corruption. Yay, IOC!

If you don't think that there is more to to what is happening in Brazil than just simple corruption, then you have not been paying attention. That anti-corruption minister that just stepped down? He was part of the new government that replaced Rousseff, and he was forced to step down because he was trying to kill the Car Wash probe before it started going into his side.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I've been a proponent of the proposal for one contiguous site or a small number of contiguous sites for quite a while. You could have it in a rotation of London/Paris/Tokyo/New York, or just single site, like Athens, where everyone in the world chips in to build a quality, high-tech facility that athletes all over could come and train and compete at.

Brilliant!

• Options

Brilliant!

The only problem is that its summer in antarctica.

The only problem.

• Options
    It wasn't wrong for Rousseff to get impeached per se, but it is blatant politicking or sexism to suggest that Temer is the person Brazil needed to replace her.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Brilliant!

The only problem.

Well yeah, and Brazil is south of the Equator, so it's their winter while hosting the Summer Olympics.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Brilliant!

The only problem.

You would need it to be summer in Antarctica for the Games; the winter won't have any daylight.

Luckily, summer in Antarctica is at the same time as winter in the northern hemisphere so American viewers wouldn't get confused anyway.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Losers get eaten by polar bears.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

wrong continent

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I would think the losers get eaten by Things.

• Options
    can you have winter olympics in summer??????
    Couscous wrote: »

I would think the losers get eaten by Things.

Skuas.

Leopard Seals.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I would like to say that the OP is kind of wrong. Sochi and Beijing where not back to back disasters, there where London and Vancouver between them. Both of which where pretty successful. Sochi and Beijing where also a winter and summer Olympiad respectively. Also I know a lot of US viewers hate the coverage from the London Olympics, but that was more the case of shitty US broadcasters. The BBC did an excellent job and those that got to experience it got unbiased great coverage of pretty much every event.

But other then that... the OP is pretty much on the money.

Its kind of obvious that the era of big sporting events like this have passed.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

wrong continent

Losers get eaten by penguins?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I thought Beijing went well, I don't really remember any issues with it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I thought Beijing went well, I don't really remember any issues with it.

In terms of competence yeah

Human rights and stuff are a separate story and more of a China thing than an Olympics thing

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    If we're worried about Zika from Brasil, why wouldn't we be worried about Thing infestation from the antarctic games?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    If we're worried about Zika from Brasil, why wouldn't we be worried about Thing infestation from the antarctic games?

One of them is a pure nightmare-fuel, extinction of the human race scenario

The other was a John Carpenter movie

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    This is the way the world ends.
    Not with a bang but with a whimper.

Though it might be from all the athletes banging and spreading Zika around the world.

Seriously though, if my event took place anywhere near that water I'd politely "nope" right the fuck out. A shot at a medal isn't worth swimming in literal shit.

Funny you say that...

y2xhyit2c95e.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/49rcb9/this_is_guanabara_bay_where_olympic_athletes_will/d0ujvia

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I don't think that level of commitment is healthy. I don't think we should be encouraging that in young people.

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I don't think that level of commitment is healthy. I don't think we should be encouraging that in young people.

It's what is necessary to be athletically competitive at the elite level, though.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And it'll be a shame when dozens or hundreds of the finest athletes in the world come down with some simply horrifying things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Not with a bang but with a whimper.

Though it might be from all the athletes banging and spreading Zika around the world.

Seriously though, if my event took place anywhere near that water I'd politely "nope" right the fuck out. A shot at a medal isn't worth swimming in literal shit.

Funny you say that...

y2xhyit2c95e.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/49rcb9/this_is_guanabara_bay_where_olympic_athletes_will/d0ujvia

Oh sure, they say that now

What happens when they don't have a paddle anymore?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    And it'll be a shame when dozens or hundreds of the finest athletes in the world come down with some simply horrifying things.

And every single member of the IOC should be held accountable if so much as one of them comes down with even a strange rash from that shit water, but that doesn't change the fact that these individuals have been training their whole lives for this chance.

I don't blame them one bit for having the drive to follow through despite the obvious dangers. It's that drive that got them this far, and it's that drive that makes young athletes aspire to be just like them. That's the heart of the Olympics.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I imagine the situation is, you've dedicated your entire life for years towards one singular goal. It's not a hobby. It's not even a job. It is your entire life. You can't just easily throw that away and invalidate everything at the drop of a hat. Not without having some form of existential crisis.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's the same drive that makes teenagers take laxatives and wrap in trash bags to sweat off dangerous amount of water to drop a weight class. Or start doing steroids so they can compete for a spot on the varsity team.

The Olympic Games aren't some sacred thing. They're entertainment. Until we start valuing the people they impact and fairness of competition over medal counts that's what they'll stay.

I expect in a couple more cycles the major networks will stop covering them entirely.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I imagine the situation is, you've dedicated your entire life for years towards one singular goal. It's not a hobby. It's not even a job. It is your entire life. You can't just easily throw that away and invalidate everything at the drop of a hat. Not without having some form of existential crisis.

And remember the real kicker is the Olympics are every 4 years.

For some of these people, they may never get another shot.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Look, we've been over this a few times over the years. I'm no stranger to the tens of thousands of hours these people have put into their given field, becoming the best of the best and often in peak physical condition.

I'm not blind to this possibly being their one chance, and I'm sure there are athletes who would allow themselves to be intentionally infected with horrific diseases and probably lop off a few less necessary body parts while at it just for a shot at the podium.

It's still a fucking travesty that it should be remotely plausible. It's a pending debacle. Their commitment to participation is not in question.

Sorry if I'm a bit snippy here, but we *have* had this discussion before, as recently as the 'lol what a clusterfuck, they're painting the grass and the hotels are a disaster' from the last Olympics. But I'd say this seems immeasurably worse.

Forar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Of course it's worse. It gets worse every time it seems. These international sporting events are slowly becoming larger and larger boondoggles.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Of course it's worse. It gets worse every time it seems. These international sporting events are slowly becoming larger and larger boondoggles.

The problem was that after the 2014 Cup, the IOC should have either taken the Games away, or demanded significant demonstrations that Rio would be ready.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    If you don't think that there is more to to what is happening in Brazil than just simple corruption, then you have not been paying attention. That anti-corruption minister that just stepped down? He was part of the new government that replaced Rousseff, and he was forced to step down because he was trying to kill the Car Wash probe before it started going into his side.
    Corruption on both sides of the aisle. The more market-friendly faction is using the corruption probe into current/previous left wing rule to replace left-wing ministers with centrist/right-wing ones. I don't think what's going on is racist or sexist, but color me deeply unsurprised that the opposition's had their thumb in the pie as well.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    When I read about how little of their sewage Rio treats, the thought that they would hold any events in the runoff was slightly horrifying.

People are gonna get really sick.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What was it they said on The Daily Show last week?

The water in the bay was less than 50% water, I think? And 2 teaspoons of it would be enough to catch a virus?

• Options
    What was it they said on The Daily Show last week?

The water in the bay was less than 50% water, I think? And 2 teaspoons of it would be enough to catch a virus?

Yeah, there was some estimate that it was (a bit) over 50% sewage. Something like millions of times the contaminants that would get a beach in the US shut down.

It was 3 teaspoons, which I only remember because of the visual gag Trevor did to accompany that part.

• Options
  • Options
    So I guess the IOC is forwarding money to Rio to help them get their literal shit taken care of before the games begin.

Should we take bets on how much of that money is actually used to clean stuff up and help the people vs. lining someone's pockets?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I guess the IOC is forwarding money to Rio to help them get their literal shit taken care of before the games begin.

Should we take bets on how much of that money is actually used to clean stuff up and help the people vs. lining someone's pockets?

Yeah, throwing money at this problem is not going to solve it.

The IOC needs to get some of the larger nations involved in the actual planning and work. Don't send any more money down there.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    A thought i'd been having reading this, is that the athletes from developing countries really shouldn't care, and that people from advanced countries nopeing out because they can't stand to encounter a two-week touristy version of what Brazilians have to live with seems a tad elitist.

I mean, ideally issues of class and global inequality shouldn't factor in, it should be about the competition and the infrastructure of a host country getting in the way of the competition is a bad thing, but the sentiment of "oh, those poor French/Israeli/Japanese athletes having to go deal with that" comes off wrong.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It's also kind of discouraging that they couldn't just go 50 kilometers up or down the coast and put the events there.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.